• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM Scores - March 07

Lyte Edge said:
Pretty much. Like you said, it's for new players. There's no way I would have bought this game if didn't come with the extra controller. It really should have been combined with Wii Sports and included as a pack-in game with every Wii in every territory.

Nah, I think it works well as a pack-in with a second controller. I might have bought it as a standalone game, but only if it was down in the £15 range - I certainly wouldn't have paid full price for it, nor anything close.

LevelNth

Banned
Nameless said:
Knowing EGM, and how they operate it certainly makes me grin. With all the reports of Rogue Galaxy having an unoriginal/cliche'd story, simple battle system etc.. etc.. One would think it was a prime target for EGM's nitpicking of death, but those are good scores. I expected 6s with maybe one 7.0
Exactly. I was fully expecting EGM to sort of write the game off with nitpicks and late-gen-non-name-brand lack of interest.

Error2k4 said:
Dragon Quest IX says hi ;)
ethelred said:
Sorry, DQIX already claimed that. But hey, it's still Level 5, you win either way.
Bah, can we agree on the technicality that IX likely won't hit NA until next year? Don't make me choose between Level-5 and Level-5. I fear it'll cause some crazy ass rift in my brain that'll alter space and time, quite possibly destroying everything and everyone and most certainly costing me a shitload in Advil.

theBishop said:
BTW, that MGS score is proof EGM are worthless for reviews.

Why, you ask? Because they gave Daxter an average of 7.3 and Syphon Filter Dark Mirror a 6.6.

I'm a few hours into MGS, and i feel comfortable saying Daxter and SF are right on par. Giving MGS a 9.2 average is total bullshit if Syphon Filter only gets 6.6.

Kojima-colored glasses, or automatic PSP dismissal (in the case of the other reviews)? you decide.

Agree completely. What the **** is wrong with them? Syphon Filter and Daxter may well be better games, for that matter.

Also, I'm pretty sure the DS is killing the PSP and will be putting it in the ground between Pokemon and Dragon Quest. Why would Square devote considerable resources to a system with a much lower installed userbase, especially when people are buying DSes for their games anyway? I don't know if I get it.

Of course, it's good news for me because new PSP games = don't have to rely so much on emulators to do the PSP's job for me, but I'm not sure if I get the decision.

I'm extremely happy about the Hotel Dusk score. I was somehow expecting to pick it up since the beginning, but thanks to these first reviews, it's now a definite purchase.

trancejeremy said:
Yeah, but VP:L was a simple port of the PS1 game. And the other was a FF/DQ themed version of Monopoly (and I think a port of the PS2 version). It's hardly fair to compare sales of those to original, high profile games.

And by your logic, Capcom shouldn't make any DS games, because nothing has sold as well on it as Monster Hunter Freedom/Portable.

That doesn't explain why they would divert attention towards PSP. Why would they see success in a couple of ports and divert attention?

And not by my logic. My logic was "why would Square refer to their work on PSP as enough of a success to warrant announcing that they're making some games on the PSP under the logic that they're successful".

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Can't believe so many people are surprised at the PW:AA--JFA score, it's regarded as the worst game in the series by fans so it shouldn't really be surprising. Awesome Hotel Dusk score.

Woot for Hotel Dusk! It was a must-buy for me since it was first introduced at E³ so I'm glad it's getting more attention. Hopefully the positive reviews will garner it some extra sales and press. With Hotel Dusk and the next Ace Attorney game both coming out this month, it's a great time for Adventure fans. I'm really excited for both.

I hope that the attention these games are getting will help pave the way for more Adventure games and other niche titles.

jj984jj said:
Can't believe so many people are surprised at the PW:AA--JFA score, it's regarded as the worst game in the series by fans so it shouldn't really be surprising. Awesome Hotel Dusk score.

Well, it's not hard to be the worst - GS3 is so much better, and the first two are close enough.

Anyway, Episode 4 in JfA is easily one of the best episodes in the series if not the best.

MarkMacD

As the guy who gave Lost Planet the 8 (a great score in EGM), I strongly suggest anyone interested in the game actually read the reviews. Personally, it's a definite buy, just go in with your eyes open.

ant1532

Banned
MarkMacD said:
As the guy who gave Lost Planet the 8 (a great score in EGM), I strongly suggest anyone interested in the game actually read the reviews. Personally, it's a definite buy, just go in with your eyes open.
Hmm.. It's seems more like a definite rent if anything. Are you saying this since you like online? I didn't think the MP was that good from what I played in that demo..

sphinx

the piano man
ant1532 said:
Hmm.. It's seems more like a definite rent if anything. Are you saying this since you like online? I didn't think the MP was that good from what I played in that demo..

And I'd like to add the controls on that demo were clunky as hell.....

( don't kill me )

MarkMacD said:

I figured you were the guy to give it an 8 for EGM from watching the 1up shows.

A big complaint from Greg was the human A.I. I don't understand what the big hoopla about having a good A.I in a cut-throat challenging arcadey game like this to begin with is. I mean, a valid complaint he did make was that the game starts off with the bang and drops from there, but -- drops, by how much?

sphinx

the piano man
having the january Issue in my hands, I will post donahoe's scores for games in this issue, just to have a reference...

Red Steel 5.0
Rayman Raving Rabbids 7.5
Dead or Alive: xtreme 2 4.5
Viva Piñata 8.0
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 360 8.0
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin: 9.0

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
A Link to the Snitch said:
Well, it's not hard to be the worst - GS3 is so much better, and the first two are close enough.

Anyway, Episode 4 in JfA is easily one of the best episodes in the series if not the best.

A-f*cking-MEN.

Muppet345

sphinx said:
having the january Issue in my hands, I will post donahoe's scores for games in this issue, just to have a reference...

Red Steel 5.0
Rayman Raving Rabbids 7.5
Dead or Alive: xtreme 2 4.5
Viva Piñata 8.0
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 360 8.0
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin: 9.0
Those scores seem pretty inline with my own opinions, so hooray for Hotel Dusk.

Fady K

ethelred said:
I'm still waiting to hear the joke.

Let me help out :D

The joke is that you guys think DQIX will be RPG of the year.

Whys that a joke, you ask? Well, none of you punks have even played it yet. Just because youve seen videos, it dont mean zilt. Just because DQVIII was "supposedly" RPG of the year in 2004 (i still think it belongs to Shadow Hearts: Covenant) doesnt mean IX will be.

Even if its from Level 5. I expect it to be nothing short of great, but RPG of the year? Rest easy folks, it could be, but thinking it is right now is waaaaaaaaaay too early - theres 11 months to go for the year.

Got the ish in my hands (well not physically, it's the digital version), and because a few requested it, here's what they said about Hotel Dusk.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215
The Good: An intriguing story told in style
The Bad: The usual adventure game illogic
Hardboiled: Twice as gritty as Touch Detective (and twice as good)

Jeremy: "...it plays out like a great pulp detective novel... With a cast of well-written characters, branching converstations, a cool interface, this is the adventure the DS has been dyng for." - 8.0

Jennifer: "...the story is intriguing, and the puzzles nicely done... And that pencil-sketch art style? Very cool." 8.0

Michael: "...Playing Hotel Dusk made me realize why I love the DS: the game executes everything with such craft and creativity - you hold the system like a book, the puzzles make terrific us of the touch screen - that it pushes how fun games can be when DS developers dare to be different... Factor in the twist-heavy story and you have one doozy of a DS game." 10.0

u_neek

Lost Planet: 6.5, 8.0, 7.5
ztbizgjjoduxodhiodhhmdk2zgrmmdhlogq2mtzlmwi.gif

Top Bottom