• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEW EXCUSE] Porting Lawbreakers to switch is tough because of lack of buttons

Plum

Is this the daily Switch owners getting mad at third party devs thread? Not that it isn't justified sometimes but it's almost a meme at this point.

If they didn't treat the phrase "We don't have any plans for a Switch version," like it were some kind of taboo then they wouldn't get called out for such shitty responses.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why not say that the hardware is not up to the task and move along?it steal blows my mind that no one has developed a fps for the thing.

Right. Just be honest. I think that's the biggest complaint here.

Oregano

It doesn't excuse a bullshit answer like this one but some devs ,I'm sure, don't want to use that answer because there are fanboys out there that believe the "Technical Limitations" excuse isn't a real excuse and usually accuse the dev or being lazy or it's a conspiracy.

Why not say that the hardware is not up to the task and move along?it steal blows my mind that no one has developed a fps for the thing.

Well the Switch came up in the interview because he said...

For a company that is pushing a visual boundaries, what is your take on Xbox One X?

Xbox One X is awesome. When you give us hardware we’re going to maximize it, that’s what we do. We build on PC, and there we take advantage of the latest and the greatest video cards. But we also have to support the older video cards as well. If we wind up supporting the Xbox we have to make sure it runs on the Xbox One X and the Xbox One. It’s about making sure that everybody who gets to play the game doesn’t have a poor experience regardless of their set up. Because if you give a poor experience in a competitive environment, you really can’t blame yourself anymore for the mistakes that happen, or the person’s skills. Sometimes you got to blame the hardware. And that’s not fun. So we don’t want the hardware to ever become a discussion point, especially for a console.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/lawbreakers-interview-its-been-a-crazy-evolution#F0yp3grjyhO7I6l1.99

DorkyMohr

Banned
If they mean doing everything on one joycon then I guess they're committing to split screen multiplayer on other consoles?

border

If they didn't treat the phrase "We don't have any plans for a Switch version," like it were some kind of taboo then they wouldn't get called out for such shitty responses.

Or how about websites just stop asking about Switch ports of games that are clearly well beyond what the Switch is capable of?

Even if a Switch version was planned, they're not going to break that news in an interview with GamingBolt.com, so I don't see the point in prodding them about it.

It doesn't excuse a bullshit answer like this one but some devs ,I'm sure, don't want to use that answer because there are fanboys out there that believe the "Technical Limitations" excuse isn't a real excuse and usually accuse the dev or being lazy or it's a conspiracy.

It honestly depends on the dev with me.

Nesther

The only difference is the 2 touchpad buttons and the swipes you can do with it. Is one extra button and swiping really a dealbreaker for Lawbreakers?

Maybe the analog triggers are the issue, but then they worded the answer badly.

Maybe he just saw this picture:
switch.png
And concluded that the Switch has small controllers with few buttons and games are played by facing away from the screen.

Yup, that's a new one. I'm guessing this guy hasn't actually looked into the Switch at all yet, which is fine, really. But maybe he should just say that instead of assume that it's lacking inputs.

120v

These port threads are just so bizarre to me. Who the hell would expect Lawbreakers on switch. and so we get some BS excuse, what difference does it make

TheYanger

I mean, does it use halves of the touchpad as different buttons? cause if not the DS4 has the same number as the xbox and switch.

Just say it won't run on it, why all the excuses.

I don't get why people get outraged that there aren't switch versions of games that are effectively a generation ahead of it, and I don't get why devs don't usually just say that. It's like asking for Xbox 360 versions of PS4 games.

If that's really the case and not BS, then he should've explained how it works on the DS4 since most people are just going to count the # of buttons and say it's the same on both. The wildcard is the Touchpad, which can be used for multiple inputs (left click, right click, swipe up/down/left/right).

Right, but most people don't make games that use the touchpad as anything other than a single button (replacing select/back). It's unwieldy for a game like Lawbreakers to do much else.

mas8705

Lack of buttons? Unless if the touch pad also counts as a button, I don't know what is trying to be pulled here. Is that to say that it can't be ported to the Xbox One either because it too has a lack of buttons?

XzRQLM1.png

There are so many questions to be answered.

Honestly, you should've just said it's not powerful enough. Makes more sense than this nonsense.

Exactly! Why are people so damn afraid to just state things outright rather than coming up with excuses? This is making me thing back to the whole "X-men Characters and Functions" interview all over again with how they could easily state the reasons, but give answers that almost feels like a slap in the face to those who are paying attention.

AmuroChan

If that's really the case and not BS, then he should've explained how it works on the DS4 since most people are just going to count the # of buttons and say it's the same on both. The wildcard is the Touchpad, which can be used for multiple inputs (left click, right click, swipe up/down/left/right).

Mael

Or how about websites just stop asking about Switch ports of games that are clearly well beyond what the Switch is capable of?

Even if a Switch version was planned, they're not going to break that news in an interview with GamingBolt.com, so I don't see the point in prodding them about it.

Journalists ask relevant questions, it's what they do.
It's not exactly Gamingbolt's fault that the guy interviewed found the worst possible answer to a question he could have just said "we haven't looked into it".
We got downports from games that were clearly so beyond the capacity of the orginial games to the point that dedicated companies do that in the past so it's not like it's a crazy question that no one would have thought about.
I mean if you can fit Mortal Kombat on a Gameboy, you can find some space for a random shooter on a Switch.
It's not like it's going to require that much retooling compared to some other projects out there.

It's probably just the guy making an honest mistake? We all make them...

Like that polygon graph, it was probably an honest mistake.
We still made fun of them for months for that.

OmegaDL50

It's missing a select button, I think. Does lawbreakers really use it for anything other than a scoreboard, which should be extremely easy to bypass with a UI change?

No. the Switch controller in the joy-con dock has as many buttons as a PS4 controller one for one, except for the touch pad.

Four face buttons, four shoulder buttons.
Select / Start = Minus / Plus
Two analog sticks and clickable buttons per stick
Four dpad inputs

Even IF and I mean IF the caveat was used that the lack of touch pad was the biggest point, the Switch touch screen in handheld mode serves the same purpose.

In short. This lack of button excuse is complete bullshit.

J@hranimo

Banned
Honestly, you should've just said it's not powerful enough. Makes more sense than this nonsense.

Yes, this.

Please any developers if you're reading this (ha) just be upfront and say the power of the console does not meet the scope of the game. A lot of us will understand, it's a handheld tablet first and foremost.

"Not enough buttons"

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard today.

Nesther

I mean, does it use halves of the touchpad as different buttons? cause if not the DS4 has the same number as the xbox and switch.

Just say it won't run on it, why all the excuses.

I don't get why people get outraged that there aren't switch versions of games that are effectively a generation ahead of it, and I don't get why devs don't usually just say that. It's like asking for Xbox 360 versions of PS4 games.

Maybe he counts the swipes as well. Let it Die splits the touch pad into 4 seperate parts: left click, right click, left swipe and right swipe.

AmuroChan

Lack of buttons? Unless if the touch pad also counts as a button, I don't know what is trying to be pulled here. Is that to say that it can't be ported to the Xbox One either because it too has a lack of buttons?

XzRQLM1.png

There are so many questions to be answered.

Do the two Joycon's together have the same # of buttons? The Pro controller doesn't come standard with every Switch.

The official reason why it's not going to Xbox One either is because they want to focus on releasing on the platforms they already established (calling the PS4 two development platforms because of Pro). They've already made that argument. Don't see why it wouldn't apply here.

joecanada

Lack of buttons on modern consoles is dumb (excuse) . I play elite dangerous willingly on an Xbox one pad.... Try looking up the default control scheme for that game .

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Do the two Joycon's together have the same # of buttons? The Pro controller doesn't come standard with every Switch.

Yes. From the 4 triggers to the pressable sticks to the 4 face buttons + d-pad (well, technically 8 face buttons).

Mael

Actually there's more buttons on the Joycon together as the dpad is actually 4 separate buttons so you can actually use more combinations than with a regular dpad.

OmegaDL50

It's exactly the same.

The Left and right Joy-Cons together is the same amount of buttons as the Pro Controller, the biggest benefit the Pro Controller has over the Joy-Cons is just the traditional dpad rather than Joy-Con's four individual buttons for directional input.

-Horizon-

Bad excuse. Just say that it won't run well enough or something.
Otherwise it sounds like you've never even seen the console.

GB: You could motion it, but you’re not looking at your screen anymore while you’re playing.

Between this quote and the "not enough buttons" nonsense, I can almost guarantee this guy thinks 1-2 Switch style games is the only way to play Switch games.

So the answer to avoid argument with something that might be true is to state something that is provably a lie?

I am not sure what logic you're following here.

OmegaDL50

Added bonus: Awesome "motion aiming is bad because you don't look at the screen anymore":

http://gamingbolt.com/lawbreakers-interview-its-been-a-crazy-evolution

Isn't this also another bullshit excuse? You can't not use the handheld Switch in TV mode because the main unit needs to be docked, thus you must be looking at the TV.

Also you are ALWAYS looking at the handheld screen when undocked.

Here's a better question. Have these developers ACTUALLY used the Switch before because they clearly are wrong about the button count, and they are also wrong about not being able to look at the screen. Fucking nonsense!

Parshias7

We need to come up with a term for PR statements that try to sound nicer than the truth but end up sounding way worse instead.

Top Bottom