• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEW EXCUSE] Porting Lawbreakers to switch is tough because of lack of buttons

mas8705

Do the two Joycon's together have the same # of buttons? The Pro controller doesn't come standard with every Switch.

It is pretty much the exact same. The joycons together have the exact same layout (all be it feels less jointed than the pro controller), but it isn't like there is a lack of buttons there. It isn't that the pro controller does anything the joycons together can't do outside of a more solid D-Pad option and placement of the sticks (to which if that's the case, why not say "Pro Controller Required" or "Pro controller Recommended?")

There are honestly no excuses here unless if the touch pad really does add in that element that the Switch can't handle. I would say Xbox One, but that is only being confirmed that it won't come out on that system "yet."

fernoca

Outside the touchpad:

PS4 / Switch
L1 / ZL
L2 / L
R1 / ZR
R2 / R
D-pad / 4 Arrows
Left analog (clickable/L3) / Left analog (clickable)
Right analog (clickable/R3) / Right analog (clickable)
Square / X
Triangle / Y
X / B
Circle / A

But then again he also said that it was hard accomodating everything on a DS4.

Planx

We need to come up with a term for PR statements that try to sound nicer than the truth but end up sounding way worse instead.

wagon-wheel, it's the term for when somethings spinning so fast it looks like it's going backwards.

They're trying to spin PR so hard that to everyone else the spin is going backwards

Paragon

Added bonus: Awesome "motion aiming is bad because you don't look at the screen anymore":
DN: Well, you know the beam that shoots out? You can use motion.
GB: You could motion it, but you’re not looking at your screen anymore while you’re playing.
It's true, anything that's not an analog stick is a terrible method of aiming.
It's the thing I hate most about PC gaming too.
Every time I'm aiming with the mouse, I have to look down at my hand to see what it's doing instead of looking at the screen, just like motion controls.

Oh, by the way: I was being sarcastic.

Eh, not really getting why this game would be hard to map to the DS4. Square-Enix got a full scale MMO mapped perfectly fine to it. I used a bluetooth keyboard for chatting, but otherwise actually preferred the DS4 to KB&M for FFXIV.

Lol, what is Lawbreakers about again?

Arena-based hero shooter. It'll compete with Overwatch.

You don't have to look at your hand motions will you do it after a few tries. Lame excuse is lame. Just say you are too scared to port it because you don't think you'll make a profit already.

The Boat

giphy.gif

This sounds like the kind of excuse developers gave for the Wii...except there it made sense as most people would only have a Wiimote + Nunchuck. This one just makes it look like they're completely uninformed as to what the Switch even is

Overwatch is a beast so I wish them luck with that

Oregano

This sounds like the kind of excuse developers gave for the Wii...except there it made sense as most people would only have a Wiimote + Nunchuck. This one just makes it look like they're completely uninformed as to what the Switch even is

Overwatch is a beast so I wish them luck with that

Real reason for no Switch version is that they don't want to compete against kids and squids.

jdstorm

Banned
Wow. If you don't want to make it just say that, or say the install base is too small. Both are mostly true and its better then this BS.

We've come a long way.

Remaking games like Quake on consoles
Supporting consoles that are weaker than the others and/or have motion controls.
Supporting handheld and porting HD consoles to the system

But buttons? That's where I draw the line.

I feel like I vaguely recall this happening with Wii U port questions, where the dev wanted to say something diplomatic instead of being blunt about whether a port would be worth it, and instead said something nonsensical where they acted like the Wii U gamepad was limited buttonwise like the Wii.

Marcel

lol really? Wow Cliffy head back to the drawing board.

Yep. It's basically going to flop.

There's been a lot of hype leading up to the release of Cliff Bleszinksi's new class-based shooter, LawBreakers. And with all the positive media coverage regarding the outspoken Gears of War creator's latest project, you would think the game is on track to become another successful competitive shooter... however, that might not be case after looking at the early player counts during the game's beta on Steam.

LawBreakers' closed beta began on June 28 with the open beta starting two days later. Over the course of its eight days on Steam, the beta brought in a peak of 7.5k players in a single hour with the daily averages reaching as high as 3.5k players per hour over the weekend. Those lower-than-expected numbers were only enough to rank LawBreakers as high as No. 73 on Steam's list of most played games last week.

http://www.githyp.com/lawbreakers-could-flop-based-on-player-counts-from-the-steam-beta/

diaspora

Just say you don't want to do it. Saying something this stupid just makes you look like a dumbass. Like how important is the touchpad really?

Lynd7

If you can't design a game around the amount of buttons the Switch has, maybe your failing at designing your game..

They obviously just don't care, they should just say that.

jrDev

Eh, not really getting why this game would be hard to map to the DS4. Square-Enix got a full scale MMO mapped perfectly fine to it. I used a bluetooth keyboard for chatting, but otherwise actually preferred the DS4 to KB&M for FFXIV.

Wait, if you were a Dev, wouldn't you think it would be good to be the first arena shooter on a new console instead of trying to compete with overwatch, instead of coming up with weird excuses?

Marcel

If you can't design a game around the amount of buttons the Switch has, maybe your failing at designing your game..

They obviously just don't care, they should just say that.

They have enough problems already with the game on track to be a huge sales failure on PC.

That's an amazingly terrible excuse.

Unless the guy has only seen single joycon play, then it's understandable. But he should know that the machine comes with 2 of those...

Edit: the funny part is he does seem genuinely open to the possibility of bringing the game to the Switch, he just isn't informed about the system. Since the game is aiming to be playable on a lot of PCs maybe they could get it running on Switch.

Wait, would it not be the same amount of buttons exactly as the DS4?

Since the share button cannot be used on the DS4 for gameplay, the + and - buttons on Switch would be the equivalent of "options" and the touchpad.

L1 / R1 = L / R
L2 / R2 = ZL / ZR
L3 = Left Analog
R3 = Right Analog
/\ = X
O = A
X = B
[_] = Y
Dpad = directional buttons
Options = Plus
Touchpad = Minus
Share = Screenshot
Home = Home

So the answer to avoid argument with something that might be true is to state something that is provably a lie?

I am not sure what logic you're following here.
I'm not stating that that's what they SHOULD do, I'm just saying I could see why some devs would choose a different answer than the truth.

Some people will accuse the dev of being lazy no matter what though:
If you're going to be fucking lazy, come up with a viable excuse..

Wamb0wneD

I mean Cliff said Overwatch is for Anime-fans and his game is for real gamers soooo. Yeah.

Seems like he's in good company lmao.

Mael

Lawbreakers is already DOA on its preferred platform of PC, a Switch version would probably do even worse.

If the game was ready at Switch launch, there may have been a window of opportunity to be something special like Bomberman was.
Now? With days to the release of Spla2n?
It was going to get Battleborn'd hard.
Hopefully for them they can turn around what looks like to be an expensive accounting error.

I'm not stating that that's what they SHOULD do, I'm just saying I could see why some devs would choose a different answer than the truth.

Some people will accuse the dev of being lazy no matter what though:

Always better to look like a lazy idiot instead of just lazy.

i felt sorry for the guy at one point cos i know this game is gonna do so fucking awful.

but now, it's just getting sad. sounds like he just doesnt like the switch.

Wamb0wneD

As a fellow Switch owner, you guys are super defensive about even the smallest thing.

As a fellow Switch owner, you are super unaware of why people find his reasoning ridiculous.

It's just hilarious what people come up with to justify that stuff when they could just be up front.

Or at least use the usual reasoning.

Because making stuff up that's so easily checked is a kinda baffling decision to make.

I don't see anyone getting defensive about this.

Considering the number of games that use the touchpad as a whole bunch of buttons, I don't think what he's saying from the "more buttons" perspective is all that outrageous, unless you guys want a game that can't be played docked because it requires use of the screen.

The motion controls part is absurd of course.

A pair of Joy-cons even has 4 more buttons than a PS4/Xbone (SL/SR x2), and would be a step over the Switch Pro controller should a dev decide to utilize it.

What a silly excuse.
Motion excuse was even sillier.

Top Bottom