• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fallout 3 pics

I'd be more concerned with the animation than the art to be honest. The animation in Oblivion was state-of-the-art in about 1995. Terrible.

kairu

looks like they figured out how to create characters that dont look like they have downs syndrome. Nice.

Yoboman

kairu said:
looks like they figured out how to create characters that dont look like they have downs syndrome. Nice.
Are you sure?

4j0s92.jpg

Tabris

I hate the plastic look of that first enemy and the bad textures to the people (look at that one guy's ear) but everything else looks really good.

Kapsama

I don't like what I'm seeing at all. This totally breaks with the visual style of the earlier Fallout games. The Vaults were hightech, Starship Enterprise-y environments, not similar to submarine interiors.
Same with the ghoul, he looks way to scary and mean, that's not what Harold in Gecko looked like or the old Ghoul in the Hub. Not even Set looked this scary.

Oh well, hope dies last.

SamBishop

Banned
Ohmanohmanohman... I get to take my first peek at the game since Bethesda first showed it off last year. I can't friggin wait for Tuesday. Hopefully there isn't a lengthy embargo so I can gush at length about it all.

Mashing

Ugh. This doesn't look like Fallout. Man, I'm in a constant state of love/hate with this game. I'd like to see some RPG aspects instead of first person shooter screenshots. Where's some pip boy love, where's the dialog choices, where is the character building. Stop showing screenshots that make the game look like a FPS rather than an RPG.

I guarantee you that if you took someone off the street and showed them these screenshots they wouldn't be able to tell you it was an RPG. It looks more like Gears of War than Fallout as it looks now.

Pimpbaa said:
I doubt you will even need a good PC for this considering it is a crossplatform title. For Oblivion you did at the time. But todays cheap PCs can run that better than the consoles easily.
Haven't the PC requirements for console ports been pretty high this gen?

{Mike}

Banned
Technosteve said:
So will this game run like shit on xbox360 like oblivion did or will this look good and run silky smooth.

Oblivion on PS3 was butter smooth, X360 can't handle as much at once, so yea, I'd say the definitive version will be PS3.

{Mike} said:
Oblivion on PS3 was butter smooth, X360 can't handle as much at once, so yea, I'd say the definitive version will be PS3.

Sure, until they patched the 360 version with the upgrades to the engine they made for the PS3 version.

TheExodu5

Banned
4j0s92.jpg

Wow...bloom needs to fucking die next gen.

{Mike} said:

Are you kidding me? :lol The game ran at a solid 15fps.

{Mike}

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
Sure, until they patched the 360 version with the upgrades to the engine they made for the PS3 version.

Personally I don't like to wait for patches to enjoy good framerate. The choice is yours.

besada said:
Gameplay > Graphics. A history of gameplay quality buys you some slack.

That's fine man, but why is there this universal rule that if it's an established franchise it's OK if there are things not up to industry standard?

I think what it is more than anything is a desire for more quantity with the willingness to accept shortcoming, and as gamers we should stop this cycle because our wallets are bleeding for installments that aren't up to snuff.

PS: I think Fallout 3 is going to be fantastic, and I don't think these screens are anything like I've seen on other sites.

way more

Kapsama said:
I don't like what I'm seeing at all. This totally breaks with the visual style of the earlier Fallout games. The Vaults were hightech, Starship Enterprise-y environments, not similar to submarine interiors.

I think you are thinking of the Brotherhood of Steel bases.

There's a party in my pants and you're all invited!

I'll get this for 360 and PC both.. I'll get the PC version when a card that can play it better is around 150 bucks though.

aeolist

Banned
All clothing looks like molded rubber.

I'm interested in this if what Obsidian is advertising about the story is true.

bran

Don't mean to be a flame/troll post but the engine and art look as generic as them "360 shooters" come (I know it's not even a shooter).

I hope more artistic direction go into this than any of the elderscrolls games.

einhard

aeolist said:
All clothing looks like molded rubber.

I'm interested in this if what Obsidian is advertising about the story is true.
Obsidian has nothing to do with Fallout 3.

{Mike} said:
All version are likely to be virtually identical, with PC gamers having access to whatever mods the community comes up with. I know which version Im getting.

einhard said:
Obsidian has nothing to do with Fallout 3.

All version are likely to be virtually identical, with PC gamers having access to whatever mods the community comes up with. I know which version Im getting.

No mods for the PS3 version?

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
Not many fallout fans in this thread I see, more like PS360 fans fighting over "teh superior" when it comes to multiplats. Sad.

Chrange

Banned
{Mike} said:
Personally I don't like to wait for patches to enjoy good framerate. The choice is yours.

You say that after waiting a year for the PS3 version? OK... :lol

Mike...MikeB? Would you be that blatant?

Monocle

Impressive, but I know next to nothing about it. Or the Fallout series itself, for that matter. If this plays as good as it looks I'll be all over it.

Phthisis said:
Fallout 3 is going to be the BioShock of 2008.

In that it'll deserve more praise than it initially gets, but then hits it big when people in the industry tell everyone who doesn't give a shit about it that it's actually worth buying, so then people buy it and randomly start enjoying it?

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Anyhow, I agree with you!

really like it....hopefully the world will be a lot tighter and more interesting than oblivion...and the story as well for that matter

Grayman

Ninja99 said:
Impressive, but I know next to nothing about it. Or the Fallout series itself, for that matter. If this plays as good as it looks I'll be all over it.
Fallout was fun because of the atmosphere and freedom. The actual gameplay was fairly basic turn based 'you shoot at them, they shoot at you, after a turn or three one of you falls into a pool of their own blood or explodes into pieces'.

MikeB

Banned
{Mike} said:

Sadly not, overall a little smoother than the 360 version, far fewer and shorter loading interruptions, longer draw distances and higher rendering resolution. But the 360 GOY edition includes a shader update improving the texture quality like on the PS3 version and someone on NeoGAF claimed the rendering resolution was upped from 600p to 720p as well (Maybe, don't know if true).

These Fallout 3 screenshots look promising. I hope they tapped a lot more power from the PS3:

Todd Howard (Fallout 3’s Executive Producer) - from Oblivion developer Bethesda - understands that PS3 “has more than enough power. No single game is using it all yet - not even close”.

fanboi

Banned
Hope to the dear god almighty that this wont be as shitty console game as Oblivion was.

YES I think oblivion is a console shit @ its best

:|

Lord Phol

Kipz said:
Not many fallout fans in this thread I see, more like PS360 fans fighting over "teh superior" when it comes to multiplats. Sad.

Someone didn't bother to read through the thread, eh.
There were like 3 comments of that and plenty of fallout fan talk, a good idea could be to actually take your time to read though a whole thread instead of making false assumptions when posting comments like that.

On topic, as I've never played fallout or been any particular fan of Oblivion, I have to admit, those screens are looking pretty good. The art doesn't really overwhelm me, but it doesen't bother me either. And most importantly, the npcs have vastly improved over oblivions, they still look generic and uninteresting (SO far) as they generally tend to do in these kind of RPGs, but at least they look human, which I couldn't say of oblivions bizzare vision of humanoids.

And the second pic is defintely the most awesome (limb dismemberment looks pretty neat too).

Top Bottom