• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem DLC announced

Peff

Jesus fuck. I'd be getting about three 3DS games if I bought this and all the DLC? Or do DLC prices change differently between JP and NA releases?

Maaaaaybe. I could see NoA/NoE selling packs of each set of three "story" maps (which recycle the same level but with different enemies, starting location and characters and even require you to own the previous chapters) for cheaper instead of each one separately because of the smaller fanbase, but who knows.

NeonZ

Jesus fuck. I'd be getting about three 3DS games if I bought this and all the DLC? Or do DLC prices change differently between JP and NA releases?

The game's price changes, so the DLC price likely changes too. Either way though, assuming they keep a parity between game price and DLC price, if they do keep the DLC format they're using in Japan, without bundles or anything for all the content, you'll be paying as much as the game itself just for the previous dlc (12 crossover chapters each one with a redesigned past lord, 2 new classes, 4 new skills, 3 monsters maps with money, exp and legendary weapons) and will end up paying more than the game itself adding up these new ones.

even require you to own the previous chapters

That's only for the initial three "Spirit Talisman" maps, the other ones don't require any specific order.

Lyude77

the DLC is still going to be a massive ripoff when it hits here, even if it isn't the exact same price as Japan. such a disgusting precedent for Nintendo.

The precedent was probably set before FE with their VC prices, to be honest. Nintendo hasn't exactly been cheap with the pricing of any of their digital downloads.

I hope this FE DLC becomes one of those digital items/games redeemable for coins on Club Nintendo. I want it. I doubt it'll happen though.

This is the kind of DLC I can get behind and support, stuff that adds to my experience and gives me what I want in addition to the great experience built in.

King Boo

i hope nintendo does a "game of the year" thing with this game, or at least offer a discount later on when you want to buy all the good dlc.

well first it has to come out here in the states.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well, at least beach scenes seem to be a "Tales of" cliche by now. Atlhough, now that you mention it, I can't think about many examples of hotsprings in games, that's more an anime cliche.

Yeah....not sure how much I like that idea but oh well, its DLC

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Gains awesome new artstyle, loses it's ethics and my respect due to silly fanservice. I know it's optional, but the fact still remains it exists.
Oh well, lose a long time fan, gain a creepy Otaku. It's still a sale in the end.

Socreges

Banned
Gains awesome new artstyle, loses it's ethics and my respect due to silly fanservice. I know it's optional, but the fact still remains it exists.
Oh well, lose a long time fan, gain a creepy Otaku. It's still a sale in the end.
You're going to avoid the entire game because of this? I'm turned off too but the core game play still sounds great

So weird seeing people excited about bikinis. Yech. Still doesn't top the incest guy in the main thread tho.....

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
You're going to avoid the entire game because of this? I'm turned off too but the core game play still sounds great

So weird seeing people excited about bikinis. Yech. Still doesn't top the incest guy in the main thread tho.....

To be honest, I was on the fence about this way back when I heard you could marry and have a kid with Nono, the little Dragon girl.
On top of that, this DLC will most likely portray her in a skimpy bikini. I see no reason why I should purchase something that throws it's morality down the drain just to pander a certain crowd for a quick buck.
Shame as well, considering Path of Radiance is my 3rd favourite game of all time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The value proposition for DLC will always rub some people the wrong way because there is no way around the fact that it's less efficient to make piecemeal content after the crunch time of primary development has passed. In other words, people have to be paid, and they get paid the same salary even if they're working on single DLC missions at a time, rather than a huge set piece involved with the base game.

Though perhaps the way people should be looking at it, is that with a game that has a ton of content (this FE is apparently lengthy and packed already) you're getting a great value for the money in the base game. The DLC is just more in scale with what it actually costs to make stuff.

I have to think that the era of (quality) F2P games may break people of the ingrained mentality of seeing a game as 'incomplete' if it has stuff you just don't want or need to buy. As long as the core game is a satisfying package, it shouldn't matter if there's optional content for people who want it.

Beth Cyra

Sp these character interaction packs, do they include story for the main cast or is it also for the extended like Roy?

NeonZ

Sp these character interaction packs, do they include story for the main cast or is it also for the extended like Roy?

In the video, they only show the main cast there. However, it is called "Otherworld Resort" and so far the "Otherworld" has been used as an explanation for the involvement of the past characters in previous DLC.

To be honest, I was on the fence about this way back when I heard you could marry and have a kid with Nono, the little Dragon girl.
On top of that, this DLC will most likely portray her in a skimpy bikini. I see no reason why I should purchase something that throws it's morality down the drain just to pander a certain crowd for a quick buck.

Well, these are the new "outfits" shown in the video:

FEA_dlc_01.jpg

Liz, who is somewhat younger than the others, is shown wearing a maid outfit rather than a bikini. Now, it depends on how these outfits are going to work. If they're class changes, then you'll be able to put every girl in a bikini or maid outfit anyway, but that's not confirmed right now.

Emitan

Awesome. I'm buying all the DLC when it comes out here.

Hopefully they add in lesbian Supports in this...

Awesome. I'm buying all the DLC when it comes out here.

Hopefully they add in lesbian Supports in this...

You know that they won't put anything official, just a lot of subtext. Like Lyndis and Florina.

Edit: It was stupid of me watching that trailer. >_>

Gradivus

Believe it or not, gamers who like the Fire Emblem series are NOT pedophiles

With Nono in this game and the way the DLC is happening, I wouldn't be surprised if more comments like this start popping up when it comes closer to the Western release date. Haha

bikinis in my fire emblem? beach scenes? they should go back and force hard mode on everyone to make up for it somewhat. get back on track, you're attracting the wrong people.

what happened? nintendo must be desperate to fall that low. are they not confident in their own games anymore?

Busaiku

bikinis in my fire emblem? beach scenes? they should go back and force hard mode on everyone to make up for it somewhat. get back on track, you're attracting the wrong people.

what happened? nintendo must be desperate to fall that low. are they not confident in their own games anymore?

This is the best selling Fire Emblem in a while, this is the crowd that wants it.

Diablos54

Considering it's the best selling FE since the SNES days, I don't think they care.

And the constant flow of DLC ( At least so far) makes me think they're very confident in FE now and in the future.

Chrom

Oh man I'd love to play these maps :(

not for 5 dollars each though fuck that :((((

Even if you converted these yen prices, which isn't even an accurate way to gauge a hypothetical price in USD, they wouldn't be $5.

Gradivus

This game has around 450,000+ sales in Japan alone before this bikini and beach related stuff was even announced, so I doubt they're depressed when it's one of the best selling FE since like 1994-1996. To me it looks more like if they can dip into the Otaku crowd for more sales.

At the end of the day more games/DLC sold = better budget for future FE titles.

This game has around 450,000+ sales in Japan alone before this bikini and beach related stuff was even announced, so I doubt they're depressed when it's one of the best selling FE since like 1994-1996. To me it looks more like if they can dip into the Otaku crowd for more sales.

At the end of the day more games/DLC sold = better budget for future FE titles.

i'm always available for new (quality) FE games, it's just that i've never seen N going all-out with bad taste like this, right into the spotlight. i've feared the worst when i saw that stupid looking pig-tailed girl, but this is a new low. it's just another unnecessary mood killer.

Gradivus

i'm always available for new (quality) FE games, it's just that i've never seen N going all-out with bad taste like this, right into the spotlight. i've feared the worst when i saw that stupid looking pig-tailed girl, but this is a new low. it's just another unnecessary mood killer.

I'm pretty much in the similar boat as yourself. I don't mind liz's character design, but not really happy with the pics in the marriage scenes, beach related stuff,etc. I guess we just have to suck it in with the Otaku pleasing stuff for now seeming this is what happens to a fair amount games that go from niche status to trying to appeal for a bigger fan base.

StayDead

YOU TAKE THAT BACK ABOUT LIZ. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

She's wonderful.

Also, the game is brilliant, don't hate it until you play it.

muu

'I haven't played it but judging from the screenshots and shit-tastic Youtube feeds it must be awful' seems to be a recurring theme. Liz is great even if she does sound like Yuno from Hidamari Sketch on a sugar high.

JoeInky

I hope Nintendo are as aggressive with post-release DLC in NSMB2 as they are with this. I'd love a steady stream of content for it like this has been having (assuming it's the right price atleast).

I'm so torn on this.

Game seems awesome. Check.

Quality DLC that is fairly priced. Check.

On the other hand: bikinis (ugh ugh ugh) and supporting DLC in any sense usually ends in tragedy. Today, it's bonus content, extra chapters, and fanservice, tomorrow it's the "true ending" and cut content. This is a dark road Nintendo, traverse carefully.

I hope Nintendo are as aggressive with post-release DLC in NSMB2 as they are with this. I'd love a steady stream of content for it like this has been having (assuming it's the right price atleast).

The Nintendo Club survey asked whether I wanted free or paid DLC and asked what characters, types of levels, types of rules etc I'd want.

I'm so torn on this.

Game seems awesome. Check.

Quality DLC that is fairly priced. Check.

On the other hand: bikinis (ugh ugh ugh) and supporting DLC in any sense usually ends in tragedy. Today, it's bonus content, extra chapters, and fanservice, tomorrow it's the "true ending" and cut content. This is a dark road Nintendo, traverse carefully.
Well, considering this is Nintendo's first foray into DLC, I think they are doing a good job.

They specifically said when it was revealed that DLC would be available for this game, that it wouldn't be at the expensive of the content you get on the cart. That they would insure that the game proper would be a complete experience in and of itself. I think if they continue with this mindset they'll be fine.

Javier

First the avatar, then the posting in that weird thread about Altier and now this. If only everyone were like you, the world would be a much better place. (seriously!)
Unless the game specifically states otherwise, the sexual orientation of a character is whatever you want it to be.

Lucia totally had the hots for Elincia and nothing will make me think otherwise.

That's what usually irks me about DLC (not FE specific): the price/content ratio is terrible compared to that of the game itself, in the sense that a DLC that is for example 1/10 of the price of the game rarely amounts to 1/10 of the content of the game.
Games with tons of DLC only make that all the more apparent.

Agreed. 400 yen for a single map is just crazy. I know the high price is because of the way of selling everything individually, but if the intention wasn't to just milk the hardcore fans they could sell it all together as an expansion for a fair price.

Will wait for GOTY edition :lol

Also, the bikini stuff doesn't bother me. I hated the art style from the beginning anyway. Fire Emblem has gone the dark path for good (until the otaku get bored of it at least)

Boney

Banned
Also, the bikini stuff doesn't bother me. I hated the art style from the beginning anyway. Fire Emblem has gone the dark path for good (until the otaku get bored of it at least)

Fire_Emblem_Background_by_BritTheMighty.jpg

mhmmm

needs to return to shorter skirts and furries

Nope. They should actually be like $3 at the very highest.

If you want we can bet that the dlc that's 400 yen there is gonna be over 3 bucks here. If it's not I'll buy it for you, if it is, you buy it for me!

nmanma

Fire_Emblem_Background_by_BritTheMighty.jpg

mhmmm

needs to return to shorter skirts and furries

I don't really dig DLC, but if they put a Nephenee scenario I will be forced to buy it

Nephenee/Mia/Rhys just done slaying some monsters, partying at the beach after a little volleyball (all wearing a zebra swimsuit of course). It would be glorious

Top Bottom