• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem DLC announced

This is really turning me off from this game.

Then ignore it. The game itself is more than complete without the DLC. I've played 60 hours and I'm not quite done yet (although I died a lot early on figuring out what to do...first Fire Emblem).

All the DLC, excluding the present ones, added heritage characters, experience/money harvesting maps, and two (?) new classes. Hardly vital stuff for the game.

Emitan

First the avatar, then the posting in that weird thread about Altier and now this. If only everyone were like you, the world would be a much better place. (seriously!)

*blushes*

I'm just a lesbian trying to make the world a better place!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Does it? I mean it's generally one of the best reviewed and has some of the highest sales of any FE.

Oh I'm sure that the game itself is great (I'll be buying it day 1 when it hits America) but I'm just... disappointed in Nintendo, I guess you could say.
*shrug*
Its not a huge deal, but it bugs me

Somnid

Agreed. It's like adding blood to Fire Emblem. It's clearly pandering to a certain crowd and not the fans.

Interesting you bring that up because I would be willing to bet most people would find muscular dudes blowing each other's brains out more acceptable.

And this game does nothing but pander to fans from what I've seen. Who do you think is buying DLC challenge maps, past characters and new character convos/costumes?

Fire Emblem typically keeps it classy, outside of vague incest references here and there.

The people have spoken, they know what they want. Also I'm looking forward to this game, I really don't see the problem here. They just added some moé to mix it up. You guys talk like it's a Gust game.

Agreed. It's like adding blood to Fire Emblem. It's clearly pandering to a certain crowd and not the fans.

Yes, it's pandering to a certain crowd who spent a lot of money and made this the second most successful Fire Emblem game ever. It's optional content that you never have to see in the normal game if you chose not to. It doesn't affect the story or the way the game was designed. If this DLC is not successful, they may not go down that road again as willingly.

Taruranto

Why are people complaining about completely optional content?

Dating sim elements (yeah, i know FE4 had them before, don't bother), bikinis, hot springs, animu character design... next thing you know you'll find yourself going out on a date with your waifu in the middle of the battlefield, while dodging multiple girls.

>Ike: I'm sorry Boyd, i have Soren...

Well it would bug me too if it was part of the core game and I was forced to put up with it. However, that is not the case here. Not yet, at least. Those who want bikinis are satisfied, and those who want to keep it classy can do so as well.

Plus, guys, Japan is very different culture-wise. For better or for worse, Nintendo has to make their products appealing for that market as well. And if anime characters in bikinis sell in Japan, then that's just what they'll do. Who knows, it's likely we'll never see some of this DLC in America.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Every game ever made should have optional fanservice costumes. I am a fan, and I like service.

Gradivus

Dating sims element (yeah, i know FE4 had them before, don't bother), bikinis, hot springs, animu character design... next thing you know you'll find yourself going out on a date with your waifu in the middle of the battlefield, while dodging multiple girls.

>Ike: I'm sorry Boyd, i have Soren...

The marriage system in this game is good (besides the pics with the My Unit), but the other stuff added in is making this game out be like something from the Tales of series. I don't want FE to become something like that.

animu character design

From what I've seen early FE character design match pretty closely with Japanese cartoon standards at the time of release. They've just updated the style to match with 2012 sensibilities.

Or at least, early designs don't deviate more from the style of cartoons at the time any more than FE:A's design differ from current ones.

Fire Emblem Kakusei's "Spirit Talisman" paid DLCs focused on redesigned guest characters from previous games and maps about facing or helping heroes and villains from previous stories, ending with Ike's map, which allowed the player to face a combined force of heroes and villains from previous Fire Emblems and get Ike from FE:path of Radiance and a new skill with their victory. in addition, there were also monster maps which focused on the player facing monsters and getting easy experience, money and even legendary weapons. However, even after the "last" Talisman map, the DLC is seemingly continuing further, now in a completely new direction.

A New DLC set has been announced, "Path of the Grandmaster". They don't focus on guests this time, but on new features to the game itself, like extremely hard maps, more character interaction, fanservice outfits and also a new side story.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/dlc/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/dlc/dlc_0809.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/movie/index.html (video - contains some spoilers for the main campaign. Thanks for pointing it out Gunloc)

They're divided in three categories:

4 "Ultimate Training" maps, placing your team in new and pressing scenarios, like enemies with stats reaching the 70s. The first one is "Border between Life and Death", which features a special condition that reduces your party members to 1 HP at the start of each turn.

3 "Otherworld Resort" maps (beach, hotsprings and festival) that add more character interaction and dialogue to the game, featuring over 200 new conversations and new music. First map is "Haverst of Bonds", focusing on conversations between same gender characters(something lacking for some characters in the main game, since the supports mainly focus on giving as many opposite gender pairings as possible due to the generation system). It takes place in a festival and the site says that it's appropriate to low level characters. The promo picture for the new DLC set shows Mariabell and Lukina in bikinis, and Liz, sister of the protagonist Krom, in a maid outfit and those are likely tied to these maps too.

And finally, "Future of Despair", with an unknown number of maps, is in development and follows the battles of the second generation characters in the future timeline of the game.
God damn it. Fire Emblem is dead.

Taruranto

From what I've seen early FE character design match pretty closely with Japanese cartoon standards at the time of release. They've just updated the style to match with 2012 sensibilities.

Or at least, early designs don't deviate more from the style of cartoons at the time any more than FE:A's design differ from current ones.

There is anime-like and then there is this shit:

38HkC.jpg

A lollipop? A sword with a keychan? An umbrella!? (and i can't find a picture about the maid-like character, but you get the point)

FE emblem characters always dressed adequately for their time:

There is anime-like and then there is this shit:

A lollipop? A sword with a keychan? An umbrella!? (and i can't find a picture about the maid-like character, but you get the point)

FE emblem characters always dressed adequately for their time:

Except that rather large piece of exposed thigh I see there...

Seems like a case of I like because I like it and I don't like it because I don't like it. Which is fine.

jgmo870

Banned
Fan service isn't a surprise. The character portraits and the focus they put on waifus made me think they'd eventually head that route.

Except that rather large piece of exposed thigh I see there...

Seems like a case of I like because I like it and I don't like it because I don't like it. Which is fine.

No, not at all. Lyn is a Sacaen (think Native American) and she lived by herself. Her outfit makes sense.

ohlawd

I'm down day one with all the DLC when this game makes it here.

Can't go wrong with beach resorts and bikinis.

Top Bottom