• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem for DS!

farnham

Banned
wrowa said:
I have to say, I'm a little disappointed by these news. I hoped that we would finally get a new Fire Emblem instead of another remake.
Intelligent Systems must be doing something.. Super Paper Mario and FE Radiant Dawn were released in like.. 2007 ?

farnham said:
Intelligent Systems must be doing something.. Super Paper Mario and FE Radiant Dawn were released in like.. 2007 ?

They've been pretty busy with DSiWare/Wii Ware. Just recently they've released Wario Ware DIY/Showcase, Link N' Launch, Dragon Quest Wars, Spotto, Eco Shooter and a Face Training game on the Japanese DSiWare service.

I wouldn't assume that they're working on anything else right now, except for the 3DS development kit software (in conjunction with Hudson who also work on middleware with them)

Shadow Dragon was kinda boring. I don't really care about the story. The sprites were missed, but not a dealbreaker.

The gameplay, though... it just seemed so barebones. Understandable since it's a remake, but that doesn't bode well for this one. I like branching paths of upgrades, custom weapons, support bonuses (if not conversations).

I just like the customization aspects for your "team." Isn't that what ultimately separates this from Advance Wars? (Speaking of, how about a Fire Emblem: Days of Ruin? Stripped down. Taken more seriously. DS spritework.)

Also, for SD, is it just me or is the last level exponentially more difficult than the rest of the game? To the degree that it should've been considered a difficulty level higher than the rest of the levels, and everything should've been bumped to accommodate?

eXcalibur

Neo Member
Awesome! Now I just need a gameplay video to see the style they implemented wth the sprites but, I´ve got a good feeling watching that trailer :D

*cross-fingers*

farnham

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
They've been pretty busy with DSiWare/Wii Ware. Just recently they've released Wario Ware DIY/Showcase, Link N' Launch, Dragon Quest Wars, Spotto, Eco Shooter and a Face Training game on the Japanese DSiWare service.

I wouldn't assume that they're working on anything else right now, except for the 3DS development kit software (in conjunction with Hudson who also work on middleware with them)
but those arent big games at all

i doubt they took IS a lot of time outside of wario ware..

and IS did Wario ware Smooth Moves alongside with SPM and FERD (also Advance Wars DS2 and FESD came out around that time)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ugh I was not a fan of Shadow Dragon. I loved the first Fire Emblem to come stateside and Path of Radiance but Shadow Dragon didn't cut it for me. :\

I really should give Sacred Stones another shot.

Prax

Haha... hair-in-eye comic book style Marth now!

I think it's kind of funny that Fire Emblem's art style is always changing in some way.

I am not surprised that the next FE on the DS is a remake.. but I really, really wanted a console one (which they are hopefully still working on, but this is to whet the appetite).

Pre

Shadow Dragon was ass, so I'm really hoping this stays away from that direction. And I would have preferred remakes of other games in the series, not a remake of the remake. :lol

And you know what would be really awesome? More original stuff. What a novel concept.

farnham

Banned
i liked the artstyle they had for

Swords of Seals through Radiant Dawn

Shadow Dragons artstyle didnt cut it for me and the artstyle before i didnt like all that much

Sinople

Some people seem confused. This is not a remake of a remake.
It's a remake of the second part of FE3, which was completely new at the time, plus a new scenario about an "unspoken hero" added.

farnham

Banned
Sinople said:
Some people seem confused. This is not a remake of a remake.
It's a remake of the second part of FE3, which was completely new at the time, plus a new scenario about an "unspoken hero" added.
so who is this unspoken hero. is it jagen ?

Acosta

Given the supreme laziness of SD, I have zero interest on this, opinion may change if I feel they actually care for this one.

Hobbun

If they stick with the “as long as you have ‘x’ characters or less, you can recruit ‘y’”, I most likely will not be getting it. Always hated that about Shadow Dragon. I want to recruit everyone, dammit.

Olorin

I'm cautiously pessimistic about this, but I'll get it anyway just because it's Fire Emblem.
I just hope they don't feel the need to stay true to the original this time and add some life to the characters.

I'm confused about the meritless bashing of FE DS combat systems. The added systems are all technically well done. The map designs and enemy layouts still hold up pretty well for encouraging strategy. There are a couple cheap ways to mitigate the games difficulty, but those exist in other non-ranked FE games as well.

It seems the only reason FE fans are bashing the combat is because it's slightly different. I ask anyone in here who's already taken a cheap unsubstantiated pot shot at FE DS to back up their claims.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Oh neat, the artstyle looks like Metroid Zero Mission's. American comic bookish coloring and heavy black shadows. I don't know that I necessarily prefer that to FE's standard designs, but it sure beats the shit out of SD's middling Shirow bullcrap.

Hopefully they made a similar overhaul to the battle animations. SD's wooden prerendered crap was painful.
Regulus Tera said:
So maybe it is reusing assets, but just has a different character designer?

Kind of like those Soma Cruz Castlevania games.
Uh, Dawn's assets had a significant resolution bump over Aria's.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
but those arent big games at all

i doubt they took IS a lot of time outside of wario ware..

and IS did Wario ware Smooth Moves alongside with SPM and FERD (also Advance Wars DS2 and FESD came out around that time)

Intelligent Systems isn't a massive organization. It is a small sub-programming company inside Nintendo's Kyoto Research Building. A lot of times they have "auxiliary" involvement in games like Face Training and WarioWare, where they supply additional staff to the already existent concept staff. But people see a "co-developed by" and assume IS did the entire game.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Nintendo hired a lot of extra small companies to assist the game. Engines Ltd. and Flagship Co., Ltd amongst others.

They are meant to develop small games, or assist Nintendo teams. Not develop a massive MMORPG or anything.

Pappasman

GBA sprite animation please. Also, FE seems to have been taking steps back ever since sacred stones. Class branching and the overworld were awesome.

This is okay I guess so long as IS goes on to later and greater games in the series.

Still, this should have been done with Shadow Dragon. From what I've read, the FE3 extra scenario is long enough for its own game but the problem here is that this is a sequel to a story that was forgettable.

Quadrangulum said:
Still, this should have been done with Shadow Dragon. From what I've read, the FE3 extra scenario is long enough for its own game

Wow... that's one way to undermine the work they put into it. It is it's own game. The original SNES cart had 2 full games for the price of 1, not 2 partial games.

The plot gets pretty deep for FE3 as well. It's like the first time they started exploring the concept of continuing the stories to further flesh out the world. You start off helping the once enemy nation while facing former friends in battle. It's not as good as FE10, but it's still very good.

I still need to play Shadow Dragon. -_- At least it looks like they didn't get Shirow again, which is good.

Where the hell is my Advance Wars: Days of Ruin 2, Int Sys?

Cobra84

I can do without more of anything related to Shadow Dragon. The original wasn't very good to begin with and I'd rather play a translated NES or SNES version over the DS one.

They Should have just skipped 1, 2, and 3, remade 4 and 5, and thrown the original versions of 6, 7, and 8 on a DS cart like the Mega Man Zero Collection.

McNum

New Fire Emblem: Yay!
New DS remake: Boo!

Not that I don't like Marth and crew, but I'd rather have a new new Fire Emblem. Preferably one that doesn't actively encourage you to kill off half the army for minor bonuses.

However, I do want a DS remake of Genealogy of the Holy War. I want to try that one. That's the next one if they're going one by one, right?

Cobra84

Willy105 said:
Terrible graphics/art style, nothing really improved over the NES original, and idiotic changes like the kill your own characters to recruit system and the class change system with unbalanced classes.

Cobra84 said:
and idiotic changes like the kill your own characters to recruit system and the class change system with unbalanced classes.

The optional chapter requirements are a legitimate and balanced mechanic that works perfectly well within the confines of the game. You are using subjective emotions to rate a gameplay system, which is completely illogical. And nothing 'really' improved over the NES original? Maybe you can define really for me, because I can name a laundry list of balanced and strategic additions to the game.

The class change system is also balanced, there's no one overpowering class that destroys the games difficulty. Growth rates of two certain characters are unbalanced, but that's not related to changing classes.

Once again, the added systems are all technically well done. The map designs and enemy layouts still hold up pretty well for encouraging strategy. If someone has a legitimate criticism of the games level design and systems, I'd like to hear it.

Oli

To be honest I didn't really like Shadow Dragon. The story was uninteresting, which is to be expected in a remake of a NES game I suppose. But in later FE games the characters and their interactions were a huge part of the experience, and cutting that out just made it feel bland. As did the crappy 3D models in the fight sequences.

Hopefully this one is better.

I never owned the first game that came to the US on GBA. I played it significantly because my friend had it. But I could never find it in stores anywhere (that was before I used the internet for shopping). I'm sure I could get it now if I wanted to but I have enough current gen games on my plate at the moment. :/

Also, I bought the DS game because I thought it would be good but I hate it and it looks ugly!

tiff

Banned
so like everything else, i'm guessing this is just giving the Shadow Dragon treatment to FE3's Book 2. FE3 is a bit clunky to play nowadays so a remake isn't in itself a bad thing, but i pray IS learned from their many mistakes with SD.

mjemirzian said:
The optional chapter requirements are a legitimate and balanced mechanic that works perfectly well within the confines of the game. You are using subjective emotions to rate a gameplay system, which is completely illogical.
it's a gameplay system that rewards failure and denies a style of play shared by a large part of FE fans (recruit everybody). they should have done more to flesh out throwaway characters like Lena's brother (Matthis?) rather than just make them side chapter bait.

mjemirzian said:
The class change system is also balanced, there's no one overpowering class that destroys the games difficulty. Growth rates of two certain characters are unbalanced, but that's not related to changing classes.
Those two characters' insane growths were checked by their awful default class. they only became overpowered when they switched to a class with better growths. i see that as a problem with the class swap system.

plus, class swap only served to blur the line between characters. Caeda was no longer your trusty Pegasus Knight; she could be whatever you wanted her to be. this might work just fine in other games, but in a series that makes you feel bad to see a character get mangled upon the bronze spear, the movement should be towards making characters more unique, not less.

Legendary Warrior said:
Those two characters' insane growths were checked by their awful default class. they only became overpowered when they switched to a class with better growths. i see that as a problem with the class swap system.

No, the classes did not offer higher growths, they just complimented their original insane growths in the first place. If their growth rates weren't so high, changing the class wouldn't matter -- like the rest of the class. So no, reclassing isn't the issue.

mjemirzian said:
The optional chapter requirements are a legitimate and balanced mechanic that works perfectly well within the confines of the game. You are using subjective emotions to rate a gameplay system, which is completely illogical.

Um, everything related to rating a game's systems stems is inherently subjective. What is 'balanced' for someone is 'too difficult' for another, so while the former would enjoy a game and rate it highly, the latter would of course dislike it.

And concerning the optional chapters in FEDS in particular, the same comes in. No matter how 'balanced' the mechanics may be, many people simply consider the idea of sacrificing characters to open up new chapters (and characters) an inherently bad idea, and will never like it no matter how much effort is put into polishing the system, just as some people will never like the concept of random battles in a jRPG no matter how balanced or skillful the execution.

Legendary Warrior said:
it's a gameplay system that rewards failure

Incorrect. You will still be heavily punished for allowing the stronger characters to die. The system adds strategy in the form of choosing exactly who you want to live and allowing you to use some units as cannon fodder or choose whether to recruit them or not.

Legendary Warrior said:
and denies a style of play shared by a large part of FE fans (recruit everybody).

That's an emotional argument, even assuming you were right that a large number of fans want to 'recruit everybody'.

Legendary Warrior said:
i see that as a problem with the class swap system.

It's not the general class that's overpowered - if those two units had more average growth rates switching them to generals would still be a good idea, but it would not make the game significantly easier. If other characters had such growth rates they too would become 'overpowered' if switched to an optimal class. So your observation is not correct.

Legendary Warrior said:
class swap only served to blur the line between characters

Another emotional argument.

Pureauthor said:
Um, everything related to rating a game's systems stems is inherently subjective. What is 'balanced' for someone is 'too difficult' for another, so while the former would enjoy a game and rate it highly, the latter would of course dislike it.

You're confusing game balance and difficulty. The way you're using the words doesn't make sense. Game balance and strategic difficulty can be objectively analyzed.

Pureauthor said:
No matter how 'balanced' the mechanics may be, many people simply consider the idea of sacrificing characters to open up new chapters (and characters) an inherently bad idea

I never rated the 'goodness' or 'badness' of the system, which is subjective and impossible to prove. I said it was balanced and encouraged strategic thinking.

mjemirzian said:
You're confusing game balance and difficulty. The way you're using the words doesn't make sense. Game balance and strategic difficulty can be objectively analyzed.

Balance in the sense that most playable characters are roughly equal in terms of efficiency,
yes, but how do you rate balance against enemy CPU opponents when it's supposed to be an uneven fight from the get-go?

I never rated the 'goodness' or 'badness' of the system, which is subjective and impossible to prove. I said it was balanced and encouraged strategic thinking.

But once you go beyond that you have to rate it subjectively, otherwise you're left without a value judgment that isn't worth anything.

Rewards for controlled player-character death can encourage strategic thinking, as can a system where keeping everyone everyone alive rewards the player. And one can like one, both or neither.

Top Bottom