• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem for DS!

D-Pad

Man God said:
Nailah was top ten in that game, Vika could be ok if you were willing to spend an inordinate amount of time working on her, and Lyre just sucks.

lol

How was the custom character handled?

Why would they release Fire Emblem now with the 3DS just around the corner? Thank god the DS is region free so I played New Mystery of the Emblem long ago. Need to revisit the game again soon.

Cow Mengde said:
Why would they release Fire Emblem now with the 3DS just around the corner? Thank god the DS is region free so I played New Mystery of the Emblem long ago. Need to revisit the game again soon.

Yeah, because all 150 million DS owners are going to suddenly drop their DS' into a toilet the very second the 3DS comes out.

Come on, don't be a moron.

Za23

Willy105 said:
It would be weird releasing it to the DS though, now with Nintendo's attention fully on 3DS after Pokemon.

I don't see a problem with them releasing it on the DS. We got Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones for the GBA 6 months after the Nintendo DS came out.

Ranger X said:
Let me bet it will be released for 3DS :((
Just what the 3DS needs, more DS strategy ports
(I hope it works out for Shadow Wars or whatever its called but Ubisoft are keen on sabotaging it but like...telling us nothing)

Also that Kirby game will be ported too. Nintendo love nothing more than to throw sales down the toilet...
Iwata I think I get it can I be executive..

WillyFive

Za23 said:
I don't see a problem with them releasing it on the DS. We got Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones for the GBA 6 months after the Nintendo DS came out.

But the DS was touted as a 'third pillar', not a direct successor to the GBA. The GCN, GBA, and DS were planned to coexist until the GBA slowed down.

In the letter that announced the 3DS, it said it was a direct 'successor'.

Poyunch

Za23 said:
But the DS was originally a third platform that was not meant to replace the GameBoy line.

Yaweee

Za23 said:

And RPGs generally have a long history of still coming out in full force after the next-generation has started. Dragon Quest 7 didn't come out until after the PS2 was released, and many of PS2's best RPGs didn't come out until after 360/PS3/Wii were out. A huge chunk of Square's SNES 'classics' weren't released until a year or more after the PSX was out.

FoneBone

Willy105 said:
It would be weird releasing it to the DS though, now with Nintendo's attention fully on 3DS after Pokemon.
Nintendo actively supported GBA during the first year of the DS' life, and sporadically for another year after that. I don't see this playing out like it did with N64, GBC, or Gamecube.

EDIT: The "third pillar" stuff with the DS was obvious PR bullshit intended to cover their asses and leave room for a new Game Boy if it failed. I don't think they ever seriously believed that a genuinely successful DS would coexist permanently alongside the GB line.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Father_Brain said:
I'm sure NOA will continue supporting DS through at least the first quarter of 2012. Beyond that, maybe not.
Yeah, NoA tends to support the portables till NCL forces them to stop.

RedSwirl

Shouldn't we at least be glad that we're finally officially getting these games in English, or did EVERY Fire Emblem fan already play patched versions of the games on emulators?

Ezalc

I want to see a remake of Sigurd in a glorious console release with Thracia 776 thrown into the disk too. It scares me though that they might fuck up the best FE though. I also want a new FE world though, without furries.

RedSwirl

Honestly though, I never even got around to finishing Sword of Flame. Are any of the portable ones after that even worth it?

Willy105 said:
But the DS was touted as a 'third pillar', not a direct successor to the GBA. The GCN, GBA, and DS were planned to coexist until the GBA slowed down.

In the letter that announced the 3DS, it said it was a direct 'successor'.
The SNES was a direct successor to the NES. In August 1991 that was it NES games stopped coming out. Ever.
To be fair Mother 1 potentially got ruined by this as the big manual and that was too costly and diverted resources and attention from new SNES games

Plus when the N64 came out you still had SNES games coming out. Kirby Dreamland 3 etc...

In fact, I think the only time they pulled the plug direct was N64 to Gamecube*. At least here in Europe the N64 had been dead for like 6 months when the Gamecube came out
it died shortly after and literilly half of retail dropped it in the UK

*-Gamecube to Wii doesn't count since Twilight princess was publisher after Wii launch.
Oh yeah that cynical make the "ture" Zelar fans buy out Wii tactic fainally came in useful somewhere on the internet...

Lessened support still and it avoided getting into "how do we supporting 15 systems" like SEGA found themselves in.

Iwata said directly that they will continue to support the original DS in America and Europe by releasing as yet un-localized software. I'd say there is still a pretty good chance we are getting this.

FoneBone

Starwolf_UK said:
*-Gamecube to Wii doesn't count since Twilight princess was publisher after Wii launch.
One game (even a big one) released a month after the Wii launch isn't what I'd call "continued support."

But the current state of the DS market is very, very different from that of the N64 in Fall 2001 and the GC in Fall 2006, so expecting Nintendo not to support the DS accordingly - for at least another year - is silly.

tiff

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Honestly though, I never even got around to finishing Sword of Flame. Are any of the portable ones after that even worth it?
They aren't quite as good but, I mean, Fire Emblem's still Fire Emblem.

Top Bottom