• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem for DS!

McNum

mjemirzian said:
Yeah Lunatic mode is like that most of the time, although it sounds like Maniac level is more your sort of difficulty. Lunatic reverse is more like 'you can't even go on the offense half the time because you'll die if you try attacking'. But things will get a little better once I have units that can take more than 2 hits and I have better healing.
Yeah, I could probably get through Mania if I wanted to. But I refuse to play any difficulty that equates "More interface issues" with difficulty. Removing the "Enemy can attack here" overlay button in Radiant Dawn's Hard Mode isn't making the game harder. It's just screwing over the player for no good reason. I can count, you know, but I get annoyed when I have to because they decided to cut a useful interface feature and call that hard. Double the stats and numbers of the enemies for all I care, (or triple as the case may be in Lunatic) but hands off the interface.

Sorry, just a pet peewee of mine. Harder difficulties should be harder on the characters, not the player. Removing interface features is just uncalled for.

SuomiDude

McNum said:
Removing the "Enemy can attack here" overlay button in Radiant Dawn's Hard Mode isn't making the game harder. It's just screwing over the player for no good reason. I can count, you know, but I get annoyed when I have to because they decided to cut a useful interface feature and call that hard.

Sorry, just a pet peewee of mine. Harder difficulties should be harder on the characters, not the player. Removing interface features is just uncalled for.
Totally agree. I'm pretty average in Fire Emblems, but would like to try harder than Normal modes. But I just didn't bother with Hard mode in Radiant Dawn for more than the first mission because of this reason you mentioned. Not sure how it was in PoR, only played it through twice on normal and once on easy I think.

Anyway, this game I might buy if I can find it cheap somewhere. The GBA FEs I have aren't that good IMO, not sure how this compares to them.

Yeah I thought removing the interface for RD Hard was pretty lame too.

This is definitely a quality FE with lots and lots of content. About 35-36 chapters total.

After tooling around with Lunatic and Lunatic Reverse as a Knight, Cavalier, and Fighter, I'm almost certain that the Knight has the lowest turn count on both Lunatic and Lunatic Reverse, provided you reload for SPD growths so he doesn't get doubled. I found the best knight build for prologue turn count to be +2 STR, +1 DEF, and +SKL/SPD. This lets him finish P1 in 4 turns. His knight growths will be 45 STR, 65 SKL, 45 SPD, and 55 DEF. Reloading for a 45% SPD proc is easy to do in the first few prologues because they take 1 min or less to complete. You don't have to reload for his other stats as long as they aren't getting RNG screwed.

The first noticeable chapter for the knight is Prologue 4 vs Athena. He can quickly grind the enemies to dust, clearing in 4 turns and recruiting Athena. The Fighter and Cavalier just can't muster the knights ridiculous DEF to pull this off no matter how good their growths are. This theme repeats in P7 vs Cain where he can stand on the middle fort and almost solo the entire map. Finally in P8 he can literally chain pull the stationary bandits and hunters while handling the incoming reinforcements at the same time, leading to a very fast clear.

Knight seems like the easiest and most efficient choice to plow through the Lunatic Reverse prologue.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Cow Mengde said:
Gaiden as in the second game or Gaiden chapters? Gaiden chapters are in, but not the game FE Gaiden.

The second game, featuring Alm and Celica.

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

With this allowed betrayal to its own principles, Fire Emblem Shin Monshô no Nazo is playing the "retirement savings plans" card, a label that summarizes very well the few risk Nintendo took . Those who easily beated FE : Shadow Dragon will have the time or their life. But for those seeking a little more epic feelings, lets hope the next remaked Nintendo has planned will be Fire Emblem : Seisen No Keifu and Thracia 776, generally considered the best in the series. In the meantime, this one will do the trick, strong material for demanding gamers.

+ the Fire Emblem gameplay, a real challenge
+ these salutary savepoints
+ always difficult, even on normal
+ very rich

- once again, not pretty at all
- the custom character, meh
- Fire Emblem with revived characters ? mmm...
- maybe a new game now, huh?

7/10

Oli

SalsaShark said:
Such a shame. The new style and "3d" models are hideous.

I agree. I just turned off battle animations in Shadow Dragon, because they were not fun to watch at all.

And this is one of the games Nintendo plans to keep the DS going with?

I realize they have Kirby and Fossil Fighters 2, but this sounds like a joke.

Salsa

MidnightScott said:
And this is one of the games Nintendo plans to keep the DS going with?

I realize they have Kirby and Fossil Fighters 2, but this sounds like a joke.

Regular DS has probably a full year ahead of good releases, at least.

Ezalc said:
I haven't heard anything about it coming out in America :/
Like I said I think they are probably going to release it next year since they claim they want to support the DS for as long as possible.

Maybe Last Window will get a chance over here?

Fire Emblem, Pokémon BW, Last Window, Fossil Fighters 2, Kirby...

Ezalc

MidnightScott said:
Like I said I think they are probably going to release it next year since they claim they want to support the DS for as long as possible.

Maybe Last Window will get a chance over here?

Okamiden....

Salsa

MidnightScott said:

2010:
Okamiden
Golden Sun
Sonic Colors
999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem
Rune Factory 3: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
TrackMania Turbo
Art Academy

2011:
Ghost Trick
Kingdom Hearts: Re:coded
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2
Monster Tale
Naruto Shippuden: Shinobi Rumble
de Blob: The Underground
Fire Emblem
Pokémon BW
Layton 4
Kirby..

And im sure there will be more stuff announced. 2011 is going to be pretty solid IMO.

Crazetex

vareon said:
I liked them. It's good know the characters better.

So that you cry more when they die because you were stupid?

I only know two things about Fire Emblem: Joshua is a beast, and the series is really good at making you feel like a horrible player.

Foffy said:
..It'll be out in less than three-to-four months months?
Maybe. They usually announce localized FEs pretty close to the actual release.. from what I recall anyway.

If the 3DS NA launch comes and goes without an announcement it may be trouble.

tiff

Banned
Obviously much of the plot and character development improvement comes from Mystery itself, but how much new content is there? Obviously the prologue and gaidens are all new, but outside of that?

Nintendo did say they were going to be localizing games already released in Japan.

I figure this & the other Starfy game might be released. Fossil Fighters 2 as well.

Guys, remember Nintendo doesn't like to announce release dates until 2 months before the release. Just hold out a while longer.

Legendary Warrior said:
Obviously much of the plot and character development improvement comes from Mystery itself, but how much new content is there? Obviously the prologue and gaidens are all new, but outside of that?
All/most of the support and base convos are new afaik. My Unit has unique dialogue lines depending on the personality traits you chose for him or her. There's a bunch of dialogue when using Everybody's Situation. As for the main story I'm not exactly sure but I'm pretty sure they work My Unit in there.. there is new dialogue when my unit and other new characters attack certain bosses. Might be some other stuff I missed, since I only know enough Japanese to read the menus and etc. Suffice it to say, there's a ton of added character development in the support and base convos alone.

MidnightScott said:
Guys, remember Nintendo doesn't like to announce release dates until 2 months before the release. Just hold out a while longer.
Yeah, that's my belief as well.

DonMigs85 said:
I want a new Fire Emblem featuring sub-humans again

thats_racist_animated_11197.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nuclear Muffin said:
I bet it'll appear at E3.

Dead cert if you ask me. We'll get one last wave of DS games through to 2012 before Nintendo switches over to the 3DS completely. Layton 4, Fire Emblem 2, plus a few other localisations.

FoneBone

Ushojax said:
Dead cert if you ask me. We'll get one last wave of DS games through to 2012 before Nintendo switches over to the 3DS completely. Layton 4, Fire Emblem 2, plus a few other localisations.
Don't forget Kirby and Fossil Fighters 2.

I'm not that optimistic about this one, though. None of the previously localized Fire Emblem games have had that much space between their Japanese and US releases... assuming we're talking a post-E3 release.

(A fairly abrupt announcement and release in the next 3.5 months isn't totally impossible, though, given Nintendo's awesome lineup of one announced game for the entirety of Q2.)

tiff

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Nonsense, Vika, Lyre and Nailah were hot.
Gameplay-wise I don't really think they ever found comfortable balance between them and humans.

If it means more catgirls, though, I'm all for them trying it again.
Ezalc said:
I'm also going through Fire Emblem withdrawal symptoms. :(
I was doing fine until my brother said something about me not playing a FE game in months and then someone bumps this thread.

I have so much on my backlog but fuck it, I might just play PoR for the 8th time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nailah was top ten in that game, Vika could be ok if you were willing to spend an inordinate amount of time working on her, and Lyre just sucks.

Sadist

In Radiant Dawn the Laguz aren't as strong as they were in Path of Radiance.

Ranulf and the royals being the exception, the rest are terribad.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sadist said:
In Radiant Dawn the Laguz aren't as strong as they were in Path of Radiance.

Ranulf and the royals being the exception, the rest are terribad.

That's just wrong. The hawks are great and Volug is basically another Nailah if you level him up properly.

Beastfoe Scroll+being untransformed in the DB versus Laguz mission will do that pretty nicely.

Zihark

Whats the one announced game for Q2?
FoneBone said:
Don't forget Kirby and Fossil Fighters 2.

I'm not that optimistic about this one, though. None of the previously localized Fire Emblem games have had that much space between their Japanese and US releases... assuming we're talking a post-E3 release.

(A fairly abrupt announcement and release in the next 3.5 months isn't totally impossible, though, given Nintendo's awesome lineup of one announced game for the entirety of Q2.)

Sadist

Man God said:
That's just wrong. The hawks are great and Volug is basically another Nailah if you level him up properly.

Beastfoe Scroll+being untransformed in the DB versus Laguz mission will do that pretty nicely.
Hmmm. Will work on that one when I'll start another playthrough

Top Bottom