• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem for DS!

tiff

Banned
The Crimson Blur said:
6 is the trendy pick because some people really really like Roy :lol

Eh, most of the time I don't see much of a split. Its generally 7>>>5>4/6 pretty solidly, and then a mismash of the rest. But, whatever, either way, 7 is the gold standard that a lot of people use for comparison, and its not really fair; there are very few games that compare to FE7.

Western gamers got spoiled because it was their first game of the series :/
from what i've seen, FE7 is usually the favorite of people who got into the English games first, and FE4 and 5 tend to be preferred by those who started with the Japan-only games. obviously there's some notable exceptions.

personally, PoR's my favorite.

Soneet said:
This is the most bullshit comparison ever. Why did you link to a low quality video of someone playing on an emulator who didn't even properly record all the frames!?????!!! (GAH!)

That's extremely sad if you have to win an argument that way.

Compare your nonsense video to this properly recorded video of the GBA FE's!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tibhK8tjLyI

Don't you dare hate on GBA FE sprites D:
the video he posted was of poor quality, but i agree with him that the GBA games don't have great animation. the spirtes themselves are alright, but the animation isn't. plus, i don't like how over-the-top many of them are, and the fact that they always have to jump back to their own platform turns me off to them as well. i much prefer the more organic animations of FE4/5.

edit: geez, forgot to comment on BS FE's inclusion. that's wonderful. that's the only FE i haven't touched, and i'm excited to finally get a chance to play it.

Soneet said:
This is the most bullshit comparison ever. Why did you link to a low quality video of someone playing on an emulator who didn't even properly record all the frames!?????!!! (GAH!)

That's extremely sad if you have to win an argument that way.

Compare your nonsense video to this properly recorded video of the GBA FE's!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tibhK8tjLyI

Don't you dare hate on GBA FE sprites D:
fireemblemwall.jpg

mywall.jpg

First of all, WTF? The footage I posted originally looks nowhere near as bad. I clicked on it wondering what you were talking about and holy crap, that was terrible. I wonder what happened.

That said, your rebuttal video is laughable at best. It just shows how poor the animation is and how little imagination were put into them. What, 90% of them were spin your weapons before hitting someone? The stuff looks awkward as hell.

Here's a really low quality video of FE4's Lord critical animation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FbEGdutV5I&feature=related
Even at such terrible quality, you can clearly see how cool the attacks look and the amount of variety in them. The video didn't even show off all the possible attacks he can do. All of them are critical attacks.

Here's a good video showing off 2 critical attacks chained in a row.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTyLbJaPoTM&feature=related

Pappasman

I prefer the way the gba games look. I really like the art style and I prefer the battle animations in those than the rest of the series.

So, anyone have the game yet? I'm reading forums and talking to a guy I know and they're saying even though IS added a "casual" mode, the hardest difficulty in this game makes H5 in Shadow Dragon look like a complete joke. You can play it in classic or casual, so it's almost like having 8 different difficulty levels now.

why do they add so many difficult modes? one baby, one classic and a hardcore mode should've been plenty. it sucks you have to read up impressions first to pick up the right difficulty for you, it sucks.

Augemitbutter said:
why do they add so many difficult modes? one baby, one classic and a hardcore mode should've been plenty. it sucks you have to read up impressions first to pick up the right difficulty for you, it sucks.

It has in-game descriptions for each difficulty mode. I think more choice and options are a good thing for players as long as it's clearly explained.

dock

Ah, really disappointing that it still has the 3D sprites from the previous DS game. I really loved the animations in the GBA games, and this has a whole mid-nineties vibe about it that it's hard for me to get behind. :( Ah well, at least there are new FE games in the world.

bon

Augemitbutter said:
Some people might want a bigger challenge than normal mode but a smaller challenge than balls-to-the-wall hell mode. More options always good.

PS: NOA please announce this and put my mind at ease.

it's cool if they explain it, i don't think SD did, or not good enough.

dock said:
Ah, really disappointing that it still has the 3D sprites from the previous DS game. I really loved the animations in the GBA games, and this has a whole mid-nineties vibe about it that it's hard for me to get behind. :( Ah well, at least there are new FE games in the world.

yea, they most probably will use the same style for the next years, better get used to it :(

Ok some information I've gathered so far.

Casual Mode isn't an actual difficulty mode so to speak. The game offers 4 modes of difficulty. The Casual and Classic mode features can be applied to any one of the 4 difficulty settings.

Lunatic mode is murder insanity. Even playing as casual mode, the computer will just kill you and give you a game over. Sure, you may not have to worry about characters dying, but when Marth is the only unit left on the map with everyone gone, you might as well just reset anyway.

No need to sacrifice to get any characters. Almost every single character including the weird sacrifice characters return in this game plus many new characters. Even enemy characters that didn't join in the original game are can now join you.

BS Fire Emblem chapters and special download chapters are already available. I don't think the BS FE chapters require download.

This isn't a straight remake. The most maps have minor to major changes added to them.

The graphics look brighter and less dab compared to the first one.

You make your own character and even get accessories to put on as the story progresses.

There are base conversations now. Not the kind of support people want to see, but it will give you insight on the characters better than the first game.

There is one more hidden difficulty mode call Reverse Mode. Only difference is the enemies move first. I don't know all the details yet.

Music sample. New boss theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDEQrToAsRI&feature=player_embedded
Prologue 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCk8QIEZcoc
Create a Character: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rQdzaiINjk
Prologue 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-zIOltyVM
Powerful Enemy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1BlTzEagZo
Misc. pre-battle music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGRVhPP8hmo
Victory is Ours!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05RamWiT05A
Main Player Phase 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK0nZ6wQPnk

Cow Mengde said:
Lunatic mode is murder insanity. Even playing as casual mode, the computer will just kill you and give you a game over. Sure, you may not have to worry about characters dying, but when Marth is the only unit left on the map with everyone gone, you might as well just reset anyway.

murder insanity? it sounds like you're using hyperbole because you don't have the proper perspective and experience to classify its difficulty relative to other tactics games. It doesn't look extremely difficult from what I've seen at serenes forum. About as difficult as FE9 mania mode, maybe a bit more so. It looks like the margin for error gets looser past the prologue.

I still don't have my copy from ncsx.

I've compiled a few screenshots that show off how fun Lunatic difficulty mode is in Fire Emblem Heroes of Light and Shadow. I've been hearing 'blah blah Nintendo hard this and that' for years, but screw that. This is easily the most difficult game from Nintendo since Advance Wars Advance Campaign. Most players won't even be able to clear the prologue, but if you do here's some of the fun that awaits.

1. Aggro traps. These are large groups of linked enemies that refuse to budge until you get close enough, usually close enough for all or almost all of them to attack you. You need a very strong tank/puller to survive these. Keep in mind that Lunatic mode enemies will kill most of your party in 2 hits.

2. By about mid-game, every enemy has a forged weapon. By late game, they have 18-20 MT forged weapons, fully capped STR/SPD, and a variety of slayer and killer weapons. But that's not enough. The dragons and wyrms get 1-2 range attacks instead of 1 range. You can't get the silver card, warp staff, aum staff, or silence staff, and you're only limited to one hammerne staff, not two.

3. Huge reinforcement waves. In Chapter 20 34 enemies will appear and charge you at once. The game sometimes hits the 60 unit cap on the enemy side and just keeps pouring more units in. And it loves springing reinforcement traps often, usually combined with aggro traps as stated above.

4. A ranking system exists that grades you based on speed, survival, and technique (not exactly sure what technique is). Lunatic mode is only really a challenge if you try to get every recruit and possible item/chest in the game while rushing through the map to get the best score.

5. If that wasn't hard enough, clearing Lunatic mode unlocks Lunatic' Reverse mode, where enemies attack you first even when it's the Player Phase. Getting the best score on this difficulty on classic mode is easily one of the most difficult SRPG challenges ever (assuming you don't use the wifi features and significantly reduce the difficulty).

dol3pg.jpg
2lxvudg.jpg
2rh7520.jpg

Still working on my guide for the game that you can find here.

mjemirzian said:
I have not heard anything about a score or ranking system, so I'm guessing there isn't one. That means this games challenges are not legitimate because you can boss/arena abuse, use the online store, etc. and ruin the games difficulty. I appreciate the extra difficulty modes, but they are pointless when you can spend infinite turns on a chapter farming XP and weapon skill, or going online and buying rare, powerful items that are only available once a month. And who knows how wi-fi unit swapping will upset the balance of the game? We're far removed from the legitimate rank based challenges of older Fire Emblem titles.

Oh shut up.

Ranking is pointless and useless and has nothing to do with the difficulty!

Ranking ruins difficulty by making you rush through the game, it ruins any sense of fun.

Boss abuse? What the heck is boss abuse? A boss will kill any character in two attacks easily. There's no time to build up EXP on it.

Same with arena abuse, your character will get killed dozens of times unless you use save states. It's just not worth the trouble.

If you really feel that the store ruins the difficulty, don't use it! It's optional in the same sense multiple difficulties are. It has nothing to due with your retarded sense of "legitimate" difficulty.

PataHikari said:
Oh shut up.

Ranking is pointless and useless and has nothing to do with the difficulty!
"Should quit gaming and do something he enjoys for once" Enjoying yourself? Ranking and scoring systems are a form of difficulty and skill measurement, which is one of the most concrete points you can observe from someone playing a game. I suggest you read my SRPG 101 article because you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Also I'd like to remind you that you're quoting a preview from over a month ago before anyone had even played the game.

PataHikari said:
Ranking ruins difficulty by making you rush through the game, it ruins any sense of fun.
Completely contradictory statement. Ranking cannot 'ruin' difficulty because it is itself a form of difficulty and skill measurement. Fun is subjective and your opinion is not particularly interesting or insightful, especially with your random bolding of words and yawnable insults.

PataHikari said:
Boss abuse? What the heck is boss abuse? A boss will kill any character in two attacks easily. There's no time to build up EXP on it.

Same with arena abuse, your character will get killed dozens of times unless you use save states. It's just not worth the trouble.

If you really feel that the store ruins the difficulty, don't use it! It's optional in the same sense multiple difficulties are. It has nothing to due with your retarded sense of "legitimate" difficulty.
Boss abuse is when your unit attacks a boss on a healing throne multiple times to get XP out of them. It's possible in every Fire Emblem game. Boss abuse and arena abuse will likely lower your speed score if you do it excessively, which differentiates between player skill levels. The wifi store reduces the amount of skill required to complete the game on all modes - this is a fact. A games challenge can't be legitimate if there are ways to get around the amount of skill required to complete it without negatively impacting your score/ranking. A player defined challenge is required instead.

Take your own advice and go do something you enjoy instead of making yourself look like a game design dunce on message boards.

McNum

Wow, Lunatic mode is not kidding around. Looks awesome, but definitely not the difficulty I'd want to play. A 36 unit ambush with forged weapons? That's crazy! Hence the name of the difficulty, I suppose. I prefer something a bit more "normal-ish". I kind of liked Radiant Dawn's normal. I hope there's something along those lines in this one.

I love that the reward for beating Lunatic is an even harder difficulty, though. Having the enemy go first even on player phase. That's evil. I think someone at Nintendo took it personal when they heard that people found Shadow Dragon a little too easy. You think Reverse Lunatic unlocks anything?

McNum said:
Wow, Lunatic mode is not kidding around. Looks awesome, but definitely not the difficulty I'd want to play. A 36 unit ambush with forged weapons? That's crazy! Hence the name of the difficulty, I suppose. I prefer something a bit more "normal-ish". I kind of liked Radiant Dawn's normal. I hope there's something along those lines in this one.

I love that the reward for beating Lunatic is an even harder difficulty, though. Having the enemy go first even on player phase. That's evil. I think someone at Nintendo took it personal when they heard that people found Shadow Dragon a little too easy. You think Reverse Lunatic unlocks anything?

Lunatic Reverse doesn't unlock anything. However, the extra scenario maps all have their own end of chapter scoring, so there's some more re-playability there if you already got the best rank on Lunatic Reverse.

Normal mode (the easiest difficulty) is very tame and easier than the original FE3. It's similar to the easy or normal modes on most recent FEs. And you can also play on casual difficulty where nobody permanently falls in battle. Hard mode is about as difficult as the original FE3. Mania mode is a bit harder than hard, but nowhere near as rough as Lunatic. On mania mode you start seeing forged weapons around late game. On lunatic mode, you see forges from Chapter 1 onward.. and the enemies in the prologue are packing silver.

Olorin

How's the game in the story and characters department? Is it another Shadow Dragon or did they put some actual charm and life into it? That's a lot more important to me than getting the best scientifically proven difficulty challenge.

I think I will start with hard mode from the sound of it being as challenging as the original, I tend to have a tradition to play the normal difficulty before I go for the extra challenge. I like the sound of the new modes, but never been fond of the online shop. Better if it wasn't through wifi only which is just cumbersome.

On the last game I got far without the weapons, to the last level if I remember correct. So it is possible, just harder. Can't wait till the game comes out, the new impressions sounds good :).

Olorin said:
How's the game in the story and characters department? Is it another Shadow Dragon or did they put some actual charm and life into it? That's a lot more important to me than getting the best scientifically proven difficulty challenge.

They did a much better job with plot and characters. There are base convos, support convos, and a lot more text. Your customizable My Unit has their own story and side quests in addition to the main story. I'm pretty sure depending on your My Unit choices that your My Unit has different personalities when dealing with others in the game. So you won't be disappointed like Shadow Dragon.

You know, really hope IntSys continues this line of FE remakes. Having FE6 onwards remade with new challenges and difficulty levels would be a dream come true for me.

Augemitbutter said:
can you save midpoint on harder difficulties? you could in shadow dragon on hard 1 at least.
Yes the save points exist on all difficulties. But some of them are much harder to reach on Lunatic mode due to different enemy placement. The ones on Ch 19 and 20 are pretty cruel making you go through about 15 turns without being able to save.. and those are the ones where they throw enough enemies at you to hit the 60 enemy limit cap.
Pureauthor said:
You know, really hope IntSys continues this line of FE remakes. Having FE6 onwards remade with new challenges and difficulty levels would be a dream come true for me.
Just a guess, but I think it's more likely they will make a new game in the Marth storyline.

AniHawk

mjemirzian said:
Just a guess, but I think it's more likely they will make a new game in the Marth storyline.

That would be awful. I want Genealogy of Holy War and Thracia 776 dammit.

On the other hand, I also want them to make new FE games rather than dip into the remake pool. At this rate we'll be playing on the 4DS by the time they finish the remake of Sword of Seals.

mjemirzian said:
Yes the save points exist on all difficulties. But some of them are much harder to reach on Lunatic mode due to different enemy placement. The ones on Ch 19 and 20 are pretty cruel making you go through about 15 turns without being able to save.. and those are the ones where they throw enough enemies at you to hit the 60 enemy limit cap.

good to know. i like the savepoints in FE, since you have to plan how to use them. makes the occasional critical hit easier to bear.

mjemirzian said:
murder insanity? it sounds like you're using hyperbole because you don't have the proper perspective and experience to classify its difficulty relative to other tactics games. It doesn't look extremely difficult from what I've seen at serenes forum. About as difficult as FE9 mania mode, maybe a bit more so. It looks like the margin for error gets looser past the prologue.

Murder insanity is a term coined by someone else (Terranigma Freak if you know him, and I think he's on serenesforest) who played the game. Considering his skills and knowledge of the series and having built a Fire Emblem community, I think I'd take his word for it.

mjemirzian said:
5. If that wasn't hard enough, clearing Lunatic mode unlocks Lunatic' Reverse mode, where enemies attack you first even when it's the Player Phase. Getting the best score on this difficulty on classic mode is easily one of the most difficult SRPG challenges ever. Bring it on!

Hmm, well what do you know.

Cow Mengde said:
Murder insanity is a term coined by someone else (Terranigma Freak if you know him, and I think he's on serenesforest) who played the game. Considering his skills and knowledge of the series and having built a Fire Emblem community, I think I'd take his word for it.

Hyperbolic exaggeration like 'murder insanity' 1-2 days after release is silly and useless for classifying a games relative difficulty or anything in particular with reasonable accuracy - doesn't matter who says it. No, making a 'community' does not make you an expert - anyone can make a message board. And how much 'playing the game' can you do when the game has only been legally released for a day or two? And nobody even knew about Lunatic Reverse mode until a week or so after release.

By the way, I've changed my mind. If you use the wifi store you can significantly reduce the games difficulty by buying a bunch of cheap rescue and again staves. Not to mention the free maturity drops they are handing out, and it looks like they'll be offering more free stuff to make the game easier as time goes on. It also seems like the ranking is very loose and forgiving for getting the best ranks.. although that data isn't yet available.

mjemirzian said:
No, making a 'community' does not make you an expert - anyone can make a message board.

Too true. Anyone can make a board, but does it change the fact that what he told me was true? Murder insanity is hyperbole, or just a fun way to describe something. It was posted without the original context so I guess I can't blame you for not getting it. We were just joking around making up crazy terms to describe something.

mjemirzian said:
You managed to prove absolutely nothing while name dropping someone with no contributions besides setting up a message board that died years ago. Good job there.

All I said was this is what someone told me and just quoting them. Not to mention I gave out examples in a few posts before giving hints of what to expect. I take what I was told and gave credit to who said what. It sounds like you have some kind of agenda you want to push forth to discredit others for some reason.

jay said:
It sounds like neither of you has the proper perspective and experience to even begin to discuss a Fire Emblem game.

It sounds like you're making random, unsubstantiated claims/insults that preclude you from even beginning to have a rational discussion about anything in particular. Yet another nobody slinging mud with nothing to back it up with.

I've finished the game on Lunatic mode and I'm starting on Lunatic Reverse.

Lunatic Reverse Mode: If you complete the game on Lunatic mode, you can access Lunatic Reverse mode, where enemies always attack first even on player phase. What happens with attack phases on Lunatic Reverse? As you can see, the game mercifully lets you get in an attack even if the enemy is doubling your unit.

You attack an enemy and neither of you double - Enemy, You.
You attack an enemy and you double - Enemy, You, You.
You attack an enemy and they double - Enemy, You, Enemy.
You attack an enemy w/ a hero weapon and both of you double - Enemy, You, You, Enemy.

Some more notable features and tactics of Lunatic Reverse:
My Unit starts with 2 vulneraries instead of 1.
Counterattacks rise in importance because they free you to heal on player phase.
Healing is more important because everyone but ranged units are taking more damage. Against 1-2 range enemies, anyone but longbow snipers will be taking damage.
Ranged units are more important (go figure).
Killing an enemy in as few attacks as possible is more important, because you can no longer 'finish off' an enemy without taking damage.
Learning to manipulate the AI into attacking multiple targets is practically a requirement. There's no avoiding it if you want to survive.
Enemies attack first even in the arena/coliseum. This makes leveling growth characters more difficult.
Any character that gets one shot will need to level up as a ranged unit, or level up exclusively in the arena. You can't really feed them melee range kills because they'll probably get one shot, barring a miraculous dodge.
Male class limits are removed by default since you have to clear Lunatic mode first. There are also stat boosts in the shop, 1 of each type besides the Boots.
Units that can be 3RKOed or higher instead of 2RKOed are much much more valuable because they don't have to be healed every time they want to attack.

Double Fortify seems like it will be an essential tactic in the mid to late game to fully restore everyones HP before enemy phase and make up for the damage everyone will be taking. That means sticking Feena next to your A staff user, bringing 2 A staff users, or making Xane copy the A staff user for at least part of the chapter. That also means you'll need to grab as many Fortify staves as you can get your claws on.

McNum

I'm almost disappointed that Lunatic Reverse shows mercy, but it does fit the usual of if you attack first, the enemy gets to attack before you attack a second time. It basically acts as if it's the enemy's turn all the time.

I wonder if the Lunatic difficulties will make it through the localization. We've seen more than one Maniac difficulty disappear, so Lunatic and it's evil twin could be in danger. Then again, Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon made it through with their difficulties intact. Well, RD had them renamed, and broke save compatibility with Easy mode Path of Radiance saves, but it made it through.

I hope they make it through. I doubt I'll use them, but for a "I want to get totally destroyed in the Prologue!" laugh, they'll be awesome.

I dunno, Lunatic Reverse prologue makes the Lunatic prologue seem easy. It sucks when everyone dies in two hits and you can't attack in melee without taking a hit.

As for the localization, I think they might hide Lunatic mode until you complete Maniac mode.

McNum

mjemirzian said:
I dunno, Lunatic Reverse prologue makes the Lunatic prologue seem easy. It sucks when everyone dies in two hits and you can't attack in melee without taking a hit.
Yeah, that's not my idea of fun in SRPGs. I like a challenge, although not to the extent you do, Lunatic Reverse sounds absolutely masochistic to me. On the other hand, I do want enemies that are smart/tough/weird enough to make me think. An SRPG that can be brute-forced is just boring. What makes SRPGs fun to me is those moments where I unknowingly made a mistake and the enemy just goes to show me just how badly I messed up. You know, the "Enemy Archer attacks my healer who I left too close to the front, but the healer barely survives the hit" moment. Extra fun when I actually manage to recover from that.

McNum said:
Yeah, that's not my idea of fun in SRPGs. I like a challenge, although not to the extent you do, Lunatic Reverse sounds absolutely masochistic to me. On the other hand, I do want enemies that are smart/tough/weird enough to make me think. An SRPG that can be brute-forced is just boring. What makes SRPGs fun to me is those moments where I unknowingly made a mistake and the enemy just goes to show me just how badly I messed up. You know, the "Enemy Archer attacks my healer who I left too close to the front, but the healer barely survives the hit" moment. Extra fun when I actually manage to recover from that.

Yeah Lunatic mode is like that most of the time, although it sounds like Maniac level is more your sort of difficulty. Lunatic reverse is more like 'you can't even go on the offense half the time because you'll die if you try attacking'. But things will get a little better once I have units that can take more than 2 hits and I have better healing.

Top Bottom