• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem for DS!

stuminus3

I had a sneaking suspicion they were going to do this when there was no mention of the FE3 content for Shadow Dragon.

I'm not down with the Shadow Dragon hate, but I'm more of a casual FE fan, I'm not so crazy into it as FE fans tend to be. It doesn't bother me that this is a remake either, since we didn't ever get these games in the West.

McNum

mjemirzian said:
No, it's a part of the multiple difficulty system. It's there to help poor gamers on the easier difficulty modes. That's the whole point of multiple difficulty levels - the lower levels are supposed to be easier. It's a very simple concept to grasp and if you can't appreciate Nintendo or other developers aiming for players of all skill levels then you're going to be wrong every single time you point to something they do to make the game easier for less skilled players on lower difficulties. The lower difficulty levels can be as casual as the developers want them to be, and the game still 'works' and isn't 'broken' - you cannot judge the whole game based on a feature that only functions in the lower difficulty levels as a way to help casual gamers.

And get used to it. Casual difficulty levels are here to stay. It's that or the genre goes extinct.

I'm not the one complaining about difficulties. I'm just saying that you simply cannot discount any of them when balancing the game. As you said: Without the "casual" difficulty, the genre goes extinct. If that is so, then the Normal difficulty must be perfectly balanced. Otherwise, the "sucky" players, as you call them, will give up on the games and Fire Emblem will die.

mjemirzian said:
Uh yeah.. pressing the right support buttons during intermission. Sounds really difficult.

Objection! (Sorry, been playing too much Phoenix Wright lately...) You obviously don't know how to do it, then. Yes, in the first game, all you have to do is get Soren to A level support with Ike. Not too hard. However, what you need to do in Radiant Dawn is not so straightforward at all.

Off the top of my head:
In the level where you fight the Dawn Brigade in the swamp, Ike must attack the Black Knight, but neither must die. To pull that off, you need more or less a transferred Ike to get the needed Speed. In the Part 3 finale, Soren must attack Michaiah, which you have a very short window of opportunity to do. You must save Palleas, which requires a Clear file to do, and finally you must recruit Lehran, which is difficult in itself.
All of the things you need to do in battle is under a time limit, too.

mjemirzian said:
You get unlimited resources in every mode of every FE. The only time you have limited resources is if you are playing for rank. And again, you have limited recruitment resources on the harder modes because the generic replacements are effectively worthless. FE DS H5 is more strategically difficult than FE9 Mania mode and FE10 Hard mode in my experience. I've played through them all without boss/arena abusing. Even if your complaints about 'resource scarcity' were valid, you're pointing at the wrong games in the series, because FE9 and 10 have no ranking system. And boss/arena abusing makes FE DS, FE9, and FE10 all much easier.

Uh, I'm genuinely curious here: How does limited amount of troops, limited amount of specific troop types, limited amount of gold, and limited amount of potential Exp turn into unlimited resources? It's true that these limits hurt more the higher the difficulty is, but they're still there.

Also, what's the deal with if there's a ranking system? Each chapter is graded, you know. Not with letters, but in bonus Exp. Be quick and complete hidden objectives and you get a lot of Exp. Be slow and you might get a 100 Exp consolation prize, if that. Play well, and you get rewarded. As it should be. Some chapters even reward you for finding a peaceful solution to the fight.

I'm not the one complaining about difficulties. I'm just saying that you simply cannot discount any of them when balancing the game. As you said: Without the "casual" difficulty, the genre goes extinct. If that is so, then the Normal difficulty must be perfectly balanced. Otherwise, the "sucky" players, as you call them, will give up on the games and Fire Emblem will die.
No game can be perfectly balanced. The only real balanced games in existence are ones where balance truly matters and that's some (SOME) competitive multiplayer games.

Balance matters less in an easier difficulty because it's expected that most things can and will work. Some casual players are going to go more for seeing what character can get the highest stats rather than having a complete balanced experience, while others may not be as good and easy difficulty will feel more like Medium to them.

EDIT: (Also, your complaints about money have been addressed in the 90's. Book 2 doesn't give you as much money unless you know where the hidden Silver Axes are).

McNum said:
If that is so, then the Normal difficulty must be perfectly balanced.

It is balanced with casual gamers in mind. It's like saying easy mode in FE10 lets you save whenever you want, so the whole game is 'broken', and 'not balanced' because you can keep reloading for the results you want. I do think it's amusing you're going on about some very lousy replacement units when there's the far more important issue of boss/arena abuse that affects every FE entry's difficulty.

However, what you need to do in Radiant Dawn is not so straightforward at all.

I wouldn't call that challenging, just obscure.

Uh, I'm genuinely curious here: How does limited amount of troops, limited amount of specific troop types, limited amount of gold, and limited amount of potential Exp turn into unlimited resources? It's true that these limits hurt more the higher the difficulty is, but they're still there.

Also, what's the deal with if there's a ranking system? Each chapter is graded, you know. Not with letters, but in bonus Exp. Be quick and complete hidden objectives and you get a lot of Exp. Be slow and you might get a 100 Exp consolation prize, if that. Play well, and you get rewarded. As it should be. Some chapters even reward you for finding a peaceful solution to the fight.

By unlimited resources I mainly mean unlimited exp to level everyone up with. Bonus exp in a game where you can sit around boss abusing for infinite exp is meaningless. The rankings in FE4,5,6,7 are far more cohesive than some scattered bonus exp conditions.. in fact sometimes you get more exp by ignoring the conditions. FE games with rankings are the only entries that are legitimately challenging due to the availability of exp abuse. Try this SRPG 101 article.

Anyway I feel grateful that IS is still offering challenges like H5 mode, when they could very well just snub the hardcore strategists and go the FFT/Disgaea route.

tiff

Banned
lupin23rd said:
Isn't that Langrisser / Growlanser dude a hentai artist? He's pretty good too :lol
yes :lol
Cow Mengde said:
You have a very strange idea of reward when you lose tons of characters only to play replaced by one or 2 crappy units. Nagi is the only character worth using off the top of my head. Not a single one of the replacements were worth using considering the amount of units you have to lose in order to get them.
eh, i thought Athena wasn't too bad either. the rest were basically worthless prepromotes, though.

McNum

mjemirzian said:
It is balanced with casual gamers in mind. It's like saying easy mode in FE10 lets you save whenever you want, so the whole game is 'broken', and 'not balanced' because you can keep reloading for the results you want. I do think it's amusing you're going on about some very lousy replacement units when there's the far more important issue of boss/arena abuse that affects every FE entry's difficulty.

I must be miscommunicating. I'm not really bothered by the replacement unites with the silly names. It's the side chapters that annoy me. Side chapters full of delicious Exp piñatas and shiny stuff to loot. You already have an Exp advantage by simply benching the units you don't use, but to get access to more Exp, you have to actually kill them. That makes no sense to me.

mjemirzian said:
I wouldn't call that challenging, just obscure.

A different kind of challenge, I'd say. Part of me actually wants the base part of the Fire Emblem games to have more stuff to do. Forging, talking, team management, and such is all good, but I'd like to do more. Maybe attack an enemy supply depot on the way to their base to reduce their weapon quality, or a night mission to disable a guard post to avoid some enemy reinforcements and such. I wanna be the General both in action and name. Not just "General Ike, you must do this, and I want you to attack it head on!"

mjemirzian said:
By unlimited resources I mainly mean unlimited exp to level everyone up with. Bonus exp in a game where you can sit around boss abusing for infinite exp is meaningless. The rankings in FE4,5,6,7 are far more cohesive than some scattered bonus exp conditions.. in fact sometimes you get more exp by ignoring the conditions. FE games with rankings are the only entries that are legitimately challenging due to the availability of exp abuse. Try this SRPG 101 article.

I see your point now. I was thinking in the "If you lose one, you can't get it back" sense, not in the "more than enough anyway" sense. I still reserve the right to call BS on the online sales of powerful items in SD, though. That's just uncalled for in Fire Emblem. This also touches the difficulty issue. I do want there to be an Easy mode where you can just brute force your way through. I don't want to play that one, but I feel it needs to be there. I prefer the medium/normal modes. Just difficult enough to capitalize on my errors, but not stacked excessively against me. I'd much rather have difficulty adjust enemy types and intelligence than numbers and strength. The Fire Emblem AI is a bit hit or miss. Hit when it spots a path to a weaker unit that I hadn't thought of. Miss when I can just have Ike put his sword away and all the enemies go desperate to hit him, despite having no chance of hurting him.

mjemirzian said:
Anyway I feel grateful that IS is still offering challenges like H5 mode, when they could very well just snub the hardcore strategists and go the FFT/Disgaea route.

That we can agree on. It is wonderful that Fire Emblem can be as hard as you want it. I prefer the difficulty a little lower (Radiant Dawn Normal is good enough for me), but for the SRPG hardcore, I'm happy they get a matching difficulty, too. As long as there's both and Easy and a Normal to go with it, so the game can sell enough for more Fire Emblem goodness. Oh, and the difficulties must be labeled right. SD Normal is pretty easy, they probably should have called it that and left Hard 1 as Normal.

Well you've made some good points like support convos that I didn't consider earlier. And I agree the online thing is BS.

So how about an e-hug?

McNum

mjemirzian said:
Well you've made some good points like support convos that I didn't consider earlier. And I agree the online thing is BS.

So how about an e-hug?

Sure, I think I learned a thing or two about Fire Emblem and SRPGs in general, too. An e-hug it is, then.

Now back to waiting for more info on the new-ish Fire Emblem.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
:/

This better just be something they're doing in the meantime while they work on an original console game. Otherwise this is a pretty crappy entry for the series' 20th anniversary.

Sinople

grandjedi6 said:
This better just be something they're doing in the meantime while they work on an original console game. Otherwise this is a pretty crappy entry for the series' 20th anniversary.

It's not that crappy if you consider it's a remake of the most popular game in the series. It's as if FF7 remake was announced
on PSP :p

Legendary Warrior said:
nothing wrong with being a popular hentai artist.

Sure; except there's other activities he should be known for before being a hentai artist, like being a mangaka, or the creator of popular series like GitS. That's the only thing I pointed out.

Cep

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
:/

Unless this console game is sprite-based, I think that this game will do for an anniversary.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Regulus Tera said:
I don't understand Japanese.

Are they saying the other "hero" or whatever is a character of your own creation?

Maybe a Tactician character like the one on FE Blazing Sword.

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
I don't understand Japanese.

Are they saying the other "hero" or whatever is a character of your own creation?
Yes, you can create your hero. Name, gender, appearance, initial equipment, and background.

Aeana

They've also added two new parts of the game that deeply relate to your created hero, a prologue and side stories with new maps. The main game still focuses on Marth.

Cep

Banned
Gunloc said:
Whoa.

Nintendo: "Hey guys, we're making a new Fire Emblem! It came out last week!"

The artwork is already a big improvement from SD. The graphics still seem similar though...

The art looks exactly the same...

BTW, are supports in?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Sounds great so far, although I hate that Nintendo seems to ignore Gaiden and overlook it for a remake treatment :/

Regulus Tera said:
Also type of unit?

I'm soo making that pirate with pink afro.
Don't think class is listed as a customizable trait, but if class swap from Shadow Dragon makes it in that kind of becomes irrelevant.

Also "My Character" is pretty sweet and actually makes me want to get the game

tiff

Banned
Cep said:
Sorry, I meant full support conversations.

And thinking on it, it probably does not.
yeah, if they didn't add conversations to the last game, they won't here.

shame about the in-game art, but the character creation intrigues me. can't wait to see how they tie that into the game.

Daymn, that was bloody quick! Funny how it comes out a week after Wii Party! I guess Nintendo are going for an all out blitz during this month!

Now they just need to announce The Last Story for July and we're all set :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nuclear Muffin said:
Now they just need to announce The Last Story for July and we're all set :lol
They probably would have if Sakaguchi and his anonymous team weren't spending more time on it now.

jj984jj said:
They probably would have if Sakaguchi and his anonymous team weren't spending more time on it now.

Lol I'm not actually expecting them to do it. It's just a joke :lol

TLS will probably end up coming out in September/October.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
There's a main hero character create in this game?
But isn't it supposed to continue to star Prince Marth as the main?

Marth is the main character. The created character can join Marth's army or a different story. Kinda like providing more content by having a whole remake like the original SNES instead it's not a new story.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Cep said:
Sorry, I meant full support conversations.

And thinking on it, it probably does not.
Support conversations like you're thinking of were only in the 3 GBA games and Path of Radiance. Its unlikely they'll add it to the remakes. In fact, there's no guarentee that they'll have support conversations like that ever again.

Lots of info here:
http://serenesforest.net/fe3ds/info.html

The release date seems to be July 15 2010.
You'll be able to create your own custom character sometime during the game. Your hero is the 'hero of shadow' referred to in the title of the game. Your hero will get their own prologue and side story missions with new maps.
Graphics seem to be the same as Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.
4 Difficulty modes from Normal, Hard, Maniac, and Lunatic.
2 Game modes, Casual and Classic. In casual mode you keep your allies if they fall in battle.
In game plot and character encyclopedia.
The Wi-Fi shop is returning. This is bad for the legitimacy of the games difficulty, and it's just a gimmicky use of Wi-Fi. It's easy to go online and buy overpowered items that are rare in the actual game.
The re-classing system is back.

It looks like Nintendo is following the principle of appealing to gamers of most skill levels which is good. Unfortunately the Wi-Fi shop kind of ruins the chance of the game being legitimate in difficulty.

Alucard

Banned
It's not like the stories to these games make any actual sense, if you're trying to keep up with all of the names, kingdoms, items, etc.

Sagitario

mjemirzian said:
Lots of info here:
http://serenesforest.net/fe3ds/info.html

The release date seems to be July 15 2010.
You'll be able to create your own custom character sometime during the game. Your hero is the 'hero of shadow' referred to in the title of the game. Your hero will get their own prologue and side story missions with new maps.
Graphics seem to be the same as Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.
4 Difficulty modes from Normal, Hard, Maniac, and Lunatic.
2 Game modes, Casual and Classic. In casual mode you keep your allies if they fall in battle.
In game plot and character encyclopedia.
The Wi-Fi shop is returning. This is bad for the legitimacy of the games difficulty, and it's just a gimmicky use of Wi-Fi. It's easy to go online and buy overpowered items that are rare in the actual game.
The re-classing system is back.

It looks like Nintendo is following the principle of appealing to gamers of most skill levels which is good. Unfortunately the Wi-Fi shop kind of ruins the chance of the game being legitimate in difficulty.

Then don't use it.
I don't get it, more options for everybody it's always a good thing...

Cep

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Support conversations like you're thinking of were only in the 3 GBA games and Path of Radiance. Its unlikely they'll add it to the remakes. In fact, there's no guarentee that they'll have support conversations like that ever again.

Yeah I know (hence why I sort of retracted my question).

I played 5 before I ever played the GBA games, and I just fell in love with the support conversations.

Sagitario said:
Then don't use it.
I don't get it, more options for everybody it's always a good thing...

I didn't say whether it was good or bad. And more options is not always 'a good thing'. There are pros and cons to 'more options'.

I said the wi-fi shop ruins the legitimacy of the games challenge because it makes the playing field uneven between players. This is a fact. The only legitimate FE challenges are FE 4-7 ranked playthroughs.

Top Bottom