• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War III screenshots

De-mon

And some old.

rjp1ya.jpg

9gwtwx.jpg

142bpm1.jpg

126cm4h.jpg

10pn5p4.jpg

28atjk8.jpg

23uw6u.jpg

30vkrbr.jpg

11vgl76.jpg

14ec4z8.jpg

rc0uvc.jpg

zn634p.jpg

zn8m5y.jpg

10omzpl.jpg

24dn1bk.jpg

efpfso.jpg

ketgeh.jpg

wmc6jn.jpg

2njld93.jpg

2hn46px.jpg

2yyqlah.jpg

zoukka

Really really nice.

I just hope the camera doesn't hover that close to action...
And that the mittens aren't as broken as in CoO.

Not terribly impressed to be honest. The character models are obviously the big improvement here, but the environments still look like the PS2 series calibur, which was great for that system but for a 2009/10 PS3 exclusive, pretty lacking.

itxaka

Defeatist
Wow @ that close kratos one, looks awesome.

Some others looks like off, too....clean? I don't know the exact word, but some look kind of boring while others look incredible.

Want some bosses shots please, huge bosses.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
In all it looks fantastic. This one screenshot, on the other hand...

img001-121109.jpg

...looks awful.

But like I said, otherwise great.

Kinan

Well, Jaffe was right, it does look like a painting in some of these shots. Some postprocessing effect, palette choice or just hand painted textures, but it does look like it.

I wonder if that was their aim.

They are down on the visuals because there are not universally liked. I, for one, find these sorts of images both unappealing and depressing. The shot of the light coming through the cavern is sort of nice, but the rest looks technically unimpressive and creativity grim.

I really like the looks of the interior/cave shots. It reminds me a lot of the interior bits of Gears 2 which were the best looking parts of that game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eh. It looks fine, great even, but artistically isn't interesting to me at all. I don't like the drab designs of environments and enemies.

But to be fair, God of War 1 and 2 shine best when in motion and against bosses. It's those moments that impress so much more than the general combat, so I'll wait until I see those before I whine.

Bernbaum

God of War III looks exactly as I envisioned it would the very moment I finished GoWII on PS2- Not great, but very solid and suitable to the type of game.

all those real time shadows must have look so nice in motion. I really love the lighting in the old trailer when Kratos run up a wall an jump to grab the centaur. looks so good.

benjipwns

Banned
Am I only the one who doesn't care if it looks only slightly better than II? (And as epic as.) All I want is to assault Mount Olympus alongside the Titans.

This is the lone game that can, nay will, get me to get a PS3.

FFChris

Enviroments look bland compared to the old games, though they are probably keeping the impressive stuff under wraps.

Nothing special graphically, but God of War was always about the enviroments for me.

Callibretto said:
all those real time shadows must have look so nice in motion. I really love the lighting in the old trailer when Kratos run up a wall an jump to grab the centaur. looks so good.

Yea the lighting is the one thing that really stick out. Looks great!

Cartman86

Banned
Not amazing, but there are oh so very few games that actually manage to wow you this far into a console generation. Good enough though.

JimiNutz

Banned
The graphics are...not what I expected.
Gameplay will no doubt be solid though so I suppose that’s all that really matters.

Edit: It does actually look like some of those paintings.....

Unfortunately the paintings themselves look like ass :lol

BeeDog

People, all of these screenshots are old (but new in the sense that they haven't been posted with such clarity). The revealing of the game in mags had most if not all of these, so they're already somewhat old.

DrBo42

De-mon said:
And now the REAL paintings.

wmc6jn.jpg

Wow.. Someone needs to take a figure drawing class. Kratos' proportions are completely wrong here, and it looks like he's falling over rather than looking forward. Terrible.

I think it looks great, definitely what GOW in HD should look like.

Though Kratos model is so good is kinda overshadows everything else a bit.
EDIT: A environments in some shots seem a bit sterile and clinical, not the shots in caves but the shots in the city.

Lince said:
if the "huge scale" comments are to be believed then these graphics are insane
I don't really understand how. It's not like they're putting a huge amount of detail into everything and then they just happen to only show bits. That would just be a waste of time and a waste of resources.

Compare it with GoW2, where you're on the back of the horses, then you get onto the island. You can still see the horses in the distance, but by that point they've been replaced with 2D images, they're not still as intricately detail from way back as they are up close. At the very best they're going to be very heavily cut down by LOD.

Unless of course, they mean that there will be tens or even hundreds of enemies on screen at once. That would be incredibly impressive.

[edit]This isn't supposed to sound like I'm coming down negatively on the visuals, because I'm not, I think it looks great. I just don't follow how a big scale is supposed to make it more impressive.

DrBo42 said:
Wow.. Someone needs to take a figure drawing class. Kratos' proportions are completely wrong here, and it looks like he's falling over rather than looking forward. Terrible.
Looks like they just copied and pasted the GoW2 box art in there.

VALIS

Shot #2 looks great. I'm hoping environmental puzzle solving occurs just as frequently as in the first two games.

These visuals + nice lighting + great animation and I'll be there day one. :D

I didn't play GOW 1 & 2 til the PS3 generation but they blew me away.

Ashour

I really hope they release the first 2 games on Blu-ray for the special edition pack, that would be so awesome that I would buy it twice.

Yoboman

Utterly gorgeous... The lighting looks leagues above anything else

How can anyone hate on this game? No other action game is close

thaOwner

Ashour said:
I really hope they release the first 2 games on Blu-ray for the special edition pack, that would be so awesome that I would buy it twice.
That have a higher chance of happening of software BC is announced for all PS3's at E3.

Top Bottom