• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Grand Theft Auto V screens: TRANSPORT

LiK

GTA IV had the best driving this generation, actual weight, inertia and cars that took time to master. Not this shit where people get in a car and zip in and out of traffic within the first 2 minutes. I know a huge part of the game's fanbase agrees and I'm fairly sure GTA V will feature a very similar system with small tweaks here and there. They won't ditch it completely for some shitty hydroplaning feel from the 3 other free roam games also doing that exact same terrible handling.

maybe more realisitic but so much less fun to play and travel around in, imo. I will not argue, we have our own preferences.

Darklord

Banned
The bar has been set very high with Sleeping Dogs. Pretty interested to get a run down of the story too, to see if it's another Dan Houser train wreck.

If they're going for San Andreas size, I can imagine the budget for this game is insane.

I hope they bring it back to more of a San Andreas style. People STILL talk about that game to this day, no one talks about GTA4. Anytime GTA comes up in mention it's always Vice City vs SA.

Yes, i want RDR's horses in here, as i said, i want to fire an RPG on horseback.

I want to recreate the chase sequence in True Lies. Thats all i ask rockstar.

Yeah. Ask me about a particular mission in GTA4 and I couldn't tell you one (except the bank robbery which everyone remembers). For all its pomp and circumstance about detail it missed the mark on variety and memorable missions. Hell I couldn't even tell you the storyline and i've completed the game twice.

Hindle

Banned
I want fun missions again, be it sky diving into a hotel from a plane or taking out a mafia lord by using a tank. I will give them credit, they are listening.

It was always hilarious watching people who'd never played a proper racing game attempt to grasp GTA IV's driving.

*crashes after trying to turn a corner at 150 mph without braking* "Wtf these controls are shit!"

derFeef

It was always hilarious watching people who'd never played a proper racing game attempt to grasp GTA IV's driving.

*crashes after trying to turn a corner at 150 mph without braking* "Wtf these controls are shit!"

I am sure if you play realistic racing games you may think the handling in GTA IV is terrible.

Sethos

Banned
I am sure if you play realistic racing games you may think the handling in GTA IV is terrible.

Just because you play realistic games doesn't mean you hold up every game to those standards. I'm a part-time realsim racer and that's why I love the GTA IV handling, it has the elements of real inertia with the perfect arcade twist.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hell no!

That would lock the game at 30 FPS.

Judging by what I've read, L.A. Noire being capped to 30fps because of the facial animation is nothing more than a myth, and removing said cap just causes funky things with the physics engine.

derFeef

Just because you play realistic games doesn't mean you hold up every game to those standards. I'm a part-time realsim racer and that's why I love the GTA IV handling, it has the elements of real inertia with the perfect arcade twist.

Fair enough. Nowadays I prefer a more fun driving model in an open world game, maybe because it's the thing I dislike the most about them. Chases, races, etc.

Zaptruder

Banned
While I really like the idea behind the GTA4 style driving system - I almost wish it were MORE realistic (At least GT1/2 style 'realistic), with more realistic damage model... so that people would really feel the gravitas and the risk of driving at high speeds (i.e. you're probably going to die most of the time if you try (at least until you get good at it))...

The rest of the gameplay system really needs to be adjusted to accomodate for the extra difficulty of driving.

As in, during missions, there needs to be an AI director adjusting traffic to make chase sequences easier (i.e. cars generally try to stay out of the scripted mission path) - and it might even need to go so far as to have a rewind system similar to other racing games this generation. Something like where driving well at speed will build up a rewind meter - and if you fuck up, you get to expend some of that to correct your mistake - fuck up too much, and you'll have to restart at the checkpoint.

Also the ability to fast travel via taxi needs to become more convenient - phone number to call taxi (if you can't find one to flag down) - and even the ability to unlock a driver that can both bring cars to you and drive you around in said cars.

That would give us the best of all worlds - a realistic traffic city - helping to give high speed chase sequences a good deal of tension, a higher skill ceiling, something to differentiate themselves from competing products, while maintaining playability and fun.

My favorite game is Gran Turismo and I loved the handling in GTA4. It was actually fun and made going back to previous GTA games tough; because of the stiff handling.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Max Payne 3's animation and the facial ones of LA Noire please.

The game will already have an unstable frame rate on consoles and if they put the facials of LAN then we can forget about a product with 60fps on PC day 1. Of course, like all other Rockstar PC ports, it will likely be fixed by the community if that's the case.

I play console sims with a Fanatec wheel setup and I thought the driving in GTAIV was absolutely amazing and fun, sadly, it was the best part of the game whereas with SA and older iterations the footwork and gunplay were some of the best parts coupled WITH the driving. I still enjoyed GTAIV and the expansions a lot, but they really need to bring back the 'chaos'.

What would be the point of also making a next gen version?

They would certainly not announce it because who would then buy if for current consoles?

Lot's of people. I would buy it for the current consoles to play it, probably for the PC when it launches (will have my updated system then too) and then for the new console whichever one that may be when I purchase it.

Not everybody is going to jump into Next Gen on launch day for their respective systems.

Derrick01

Banned

Playing a proper racing sim is like what GTA 4 was trying to do but failed to get right. That's why they don't make racing sims.

Dennis

Banned
Bicycles >>> Jets

The main thing that excites me about jets is that they indicate the play area must be BIG.

Jet gameplay seems too silly for the new, better more mature style of GTA.

Cake Boss

Banned
Why does GAF think everything should look like Crysis on a high end machine. It looks good to me compared the ass awful looking GTA4, oh no one bad small texture in a LA based open world game, yeah like every other game never has a bad batch of shitty textures throughtout its game.

Don't what?

The thread is about screenshots. We look and talk about screenshots. Their quality or lack thereof and what they may mean for the game.

What else are we supposed to do in a screenshot thread?

What does a road texture mean for the game?

And we could always look at what the screenshots are depicting - bicycles! I miss the pedal bikes from SA, glad to see them making a return.

Playing a proper racing sim is like what GTA 4 was trying to do but failed to get right. That's why they don't make racing sims.

But they made one of the most fun racing games with Midnight Club, fun is what matters. Not how realistic it is to 'real driving'. If you want a sim, play one (I do). I expect different things from different games.
Jet gameplay seems too silly for the new, better more mature style of GTA.

You're pretty transparent.

Milchjon

Fuuuuuuuuuuck yeah. Bikes and fighter jets were sorely needed.

I also think the shitty handling cars won't be as much of a problem with a bigger map.

Sethos

Banned
Fair enough. Nowadays I prefer a more fun driving model in an open world game, maybe because it's the thing I dislike the most about them. Chases, races, etc.

Sorry to come off as rude now but it's not like I go looking for boring models. Can't describe a specific handling model as "fun", as that's extremely subjective and isn't a way to describe anything.

Dgott

Banned
For the love of God, Rockstar PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me hang from edges in multiplayer, ie Trucks, helicopter skids....

Top Bottom