• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW GTA4 Trailer coming! Pretenders cry, R* ain't giving up the crown.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It is but I never heard about the spoiler.

neptunes:
yes but it would suck to play as the other guy, Nico sounds cool, the other guy sounds like an idiot. I already really liked him, but I can really see this being true. Roman sounds like a dumbass, I don't care if he changes, I would have preferred played as Nico and you help out a cousin that keeps getting in trouble:/

Just a thanks to those of you who are properly using the spoiler tags and giving spoiler warnings. I'll be seriously pissed if someone spoils the game for me.

Zep

Banned
kylej said:
OPM: Will you still be able to customize your character as per San Andreas?

Dan Houser: No.

I think they mean his looks...theres a scan which shows him walking under a railtrain and it says, "you cant customize his physique but will be able to change outfits"

XSamu

Banned
Big Zep said:
I think they mean his looks...theres a scan which shows him walking under a railtrain and it says, "you cant customize his physique but will be able to change outfits"
That just sucks. And at first I was even hoping for character creation stuff, disappointed.

Luckyman said:
Some DVD/Blu-ray/HDD challenges still remaining..

By which the quote in question means: Both Platforms Have Their Own Share Of Problems.

The interviewer, understandably, frames it similarly: "Hay, the 360 has no standard hard drive and a crap disc format. Can you comfortably say Microsoft has cornholed next gen gaming with its boneheadedness? A. Yes B. No Doubt C. I think so, yes. or D. Oh, totally. These are your only options." And Mr. Houser says, "Well, sport, each console has its own set of problems we're dealing with so, sorry, no Red Rocket for you."

X26

Banned
XSamu said:
That just sucks. And at first I was even hoping for character creation stuff, disappointed.

How would that work though in a game where the main characters background, story, development, etc. play such a big role. In a game like saints row, oblivion, etc. where your character starts off as a blank sheet more or less it works, but not really in a game like this.

JB1981

BenjaminBirdie said:
By which the quote in question means: Both Platforms Have Their Own Share Of Problems.

The interviewer, understandably, frames it similarly: "Hay, the 360 has no standard hard drive and a crap disc format. Can you comfortably say Microsoft has cornholed next gen gaming with its boneheadedness? A. Yes B. No Doubt C. I think so, yes. or D. Oh, totally. These are your only options." And Mr. Houser says, "Well, sport, each console has its own set of problems we're dealing with so, sorry, no Red Rocket for you."
you really felt the need to re-clarify what that means for everyone, huh?

XSamu said:

FWIW, they say it's because they want to get the physics of a slightly out of shape man in his thirties down perfectly. YMMV.

RumFore

Banned
Character creation for GTA? Please don't ever mention that again. I'm so glad they never implemented that in any of the games. I spent more time trying to build a good looking character in Oblivion than I did playing the game.

OPM: On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?

DH: Yep. To be honest with you we haven't solved all those riddles yet. Both of them have enormous challenges. Again, that's been an advantage of having the guys at San Diego who are freakishly clever and full-time dedicated to us, but we're not there with either format yet. There are problems on both. We'll get there with both, but both have their own particular pleasures and pains.

raYne

BenjaminBirdie said:
FWIW, they say it's because they want to get the physics of a slightly out of shape man in his thirties down perfectly. YMMV.
That still shouldn't stop them from giving players the ability to make cosmetic changes. If that's their excuse for not having the ability to change hair styles, facial hair etc, it's pretty stupid.

I'm not that enthused about the
jetpack, bicycle and base jumping
quotes either.

PnCIa

OPM stuff looks extremely impressive. The only thing I don´t like in those pictures is the look of the main character, he looks a little "wrong" imo.

dejay

Banned
Personally I love the main character's look - a more mature vibe is very welcome.

I'm impressed by the detail and the draw distances. That shot of the train with the docks in the background gave me a warm glow - the cars being rendered at fairly respectable distances in the background was impressive.

PnCIa

dejay said:
Personally I love the main character's look - a more mature vibe is very welcome.
No problem with the more serious approach here, I just think the characters head looks a bit odd.

XSamu

Banned
X26 said:
How would that work though in a game where the main characters background, story, development, etc. play such a big role. In a game like saints row, oblivion, etc. where your character starts off as a blank sheet more or less it works, but not really in a game like this.
Euhm Bioware can do it (mass effect), so why not Rockstar?

Kangu

Banned
This game will make me buy a next gen console. Not sure which one, but it's definitely looking to be the catalyst. The amount of detail in everything is just staggering.

joesmokey

The night shot is pretty incredible as is the shot of the police car and taxi cab in front of the apartment/housing building.

Nothing terribly new revealed in the interview however. They got him talking about the Blu-Ray/No HDD adv./disadv. a little but it was clear that he didn't want to talk about it very much.

X26

Banned
XSamu said:
Euhm Bioware can do it (mass effect), so why not Rockstar?

For Mass Effect, you HAVE to make the character a human, because that's an important aspect of the story. In GTA4, the character HAS to be this russian immigrant, because that's an important part of the story. Human isn't very specific so character creation can be implemented no problem while russian immigrant is a little too specific for a decent character creation aspect.

However, no excuse not to be able to change things such as hairstyle, facial hair, clothing, and accessories which is just as good as a full fledged character creation mode.

ThirdEye

http://kotaku.com/gaming/uh,-oh/rockstar-gtaiv-limited-by-360-257184.php
The Xbox 360's lack of a guaranteed harddrive is creating limitations for the Rockstar team developing Grand Theft Auto IV for the Xbox 360, Rockstar Veep Dan Houser said in a recent interview with Official Playstation Magazine.

In the interview Houser was asked:

"On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep."

He continued, "To be honest with you we haven't solved all those riddles yet." The difficulties aren't limited to working on Microsoft's box, as Houser explains that "both have enormous challenges" and that "both have their own particular pleasures and pains".

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
WTF??????????

some tidbits taken from 14 page article in PSM (UK)

-No pedal bikes
-No base jumping
-no character customization(at least in hair style, tatoos, body style, not sure about clothes)
-no property buying/empire building
-no returning characters
-sounds like autotargeting is back, although improved

Now the good stuff:
-the physics are amazing
-so are the animations
-cars look good enough to be in a racing game
-you can see into buildings now
-you can climb things(telephone poles, fire escapes, low windows)
-you interact with the crowd now(context sensitive shoving of people in your way, when you pull out a gun everyone will scream and run)
-NEVER any load times inside or out
-missions will be much longer, more varied and have multiple out
comes
-you call the shots with the cell phone, call allies YOU want to work with at your pace, call to set up ambushes etc..
-legitimate work besides crime

YOU CAN'T JUMP????????..HAHA WTF!

Top Bottom