• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW GTA4 Trailer coming! Pretenders cry, R* ain't giving up the crown.

Lee N

Membre
deejay8595 said:
YOU CAN'T JUMP????????..HAHA WTF!
3Xy294.jpg

f@luS

More than a member.
I dont see why the game cant use the HD on Xbox too :).
I think the game will use it , even maybe with an install option since we now have 120gb hard drive on xbox

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
f@luS said:
I think the game will use it , even maybe with an install option since we now have 120gb hard drive on xbox

It will use the HDD. It's that they still have to cater to the core user. If I'm suspecting correctly, people with HDD on the 360 version will be fine. They just have to account for those 1000 people with a core unit.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
GCQuinton said:
That girl is a dead ringer for MC Lyte.

Yeah she is, when I hit the picture to blow it up, when the eyes and nose came in I was wow he's right... the mouth doesn't seem quite right for MC Lyte, but above that... dead on.....and I mean above that... cause below I don't remember Lana having that big a rack.

She was friggin 12 when she released I Cram to Understand U... wow....

DrXym

f@luS said:

It probably could use it. The problem for Rockstar is there may not be one at all.

They might be faced with chopping content altogether to make it fit on the DVD. Or resorting to downloadable content, which not everyone can have if they don't have an HD and may not have the space even if they do.

These aren't even considerations for the PS3 version, however I'm sure Rockstar have their own issues for that platform.

Agent Icebeezy

DrXym said:
It probably could use it. The problem for Rockstar is there may not be one at all.

They might be faced with chopping content altogether to make it fit on the DVD. Or resorting to downloadable content, which not everyone can have if they don't have an HD and may not have the space even if they do.

I highly doubt that they are facing this issue for this game. Not with games like Crackdown having its game data under 1GB.

DrXym

Agent Icebeezy said:
I highly doubt that they are facing this issue for this game. Not with games like Crackdown having its game data under 1GB.

GTA: SA took up an entire single layer DVD. It does not seem unreasonable to think its sequel will require considerably more space when every texture, surface, model and cutscene must render in considerably greater detail than it did in the past.

Agent Icebeezy

DrXym said:
GTA: SA took up an entire single layer DVD. It does not seem unreasonable to think its sequel will require considerably more space when every texture, surface, model and cutscene must render in considerably greater detail than it did in the past.

GTA:SA was 4.19GB on the PS2, 3.96GB on the PC and 2.86GB on the Xbox.

DrXym

Agent Icebeezy said:
GTA:SA was 4.19GB on the PS2, 3.96GB on the PC and 2.86GB on the Xbox.

I don't have the measurements for PS2 & XBox, but I put my PC GTA: SA disk in the drive there. The PC GTA: SA totals 3.9Gb compressed, i.e. before you even install the thing. It is likely that it would be far more than that when uncompressed, or if it were compressed with some run-length encoding instead of the far more efficient .cab format. The audio\ folder alone constitutes 1Gb of data.

I don't know where you get your other figures from, but if you're looking at sizes on torrent sites, don't forget that downloads would probably be of .rar or .zip files.

antiloop

With PS3 having more than 10 times the RAM available compared to PS2 and the fact that games are in 720p/1080p instead of 480i, it's pretty realistic to say that Blu-ray will be used to it's full potential this generation. If they don't compress everything to hell and let the SPE:s/leftover cores do some decompressing.

Not with this game though or other multiplatform titles, I don't think.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
deejay8595 said:
Who the hell is phillup glass?

He's a music composer, often associated with his piano pieces. There's definitely a very 'philip glass' sound. An example might be The Hours which uses the same sound over and over again..really haunting music, almost suffocating. Many people immediately thought of Philip Glass when they heard the trailer music.

edit - ha..that makes sense. He did the 'Notes on a Scandal' music too. Suffocating is just the word for that.

szaromir

Banned
X26 said:
However, no excuse not to be able to change things such as hairstyle, facial hair, clothing, and accessories which is just as good as a full fledged character creation mode.

They could copy The Godfather's insanely good character creation mode.

8bit

Knows the Score
I used to have a watch for which Philip Glass composed the melody(You youngsters probably call them ringtones or something now), it malfunctioned and played variations of the melody that made sound as if it had been remixed by Kid 606.

Had I known that ebay was around the corner I could have sold it for a big profit.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Well, Operachic reckons it's a score licensing deal -

Closet videogame nut Philip Glass has licensed his Koyaanisqatsi music to the creators of the Grand Theft Auto IV videogame, coming in the fall for PS3 and XBox360.

- but I can't find confirmation anywhere else. Phew! If he actually wrote a new score for it I'd have to play a GTA game again.

Bring on Def Jam: Steve Reich Edition.

I don't subscribe to these single format mags because they are thin and spread out content too much.

As I stack some magazines though I do get to peak through them and take them out of their plastic shrink wrap (so other customers can read them.)

The city is apparently going to feel more like a city, they're trying to create a living city instead of a city with pedestrians on loops.
People will be able to litter the streets and each pedestrian will have their own individual characteristics mapped.
No doubt you will see repeats of people scratching their eat or coughing in the same way- but it goes some way to make it feel like you're not at home.

I like the direction they're taking with it. The exclusive screens they have aren't that good.

Old??

It's from latest issue of the Official Xbox Magazine in the UK.

http://www.gta4.net/news/3868/gta-iv-preview-in-official-xbox-magazine/

- According to the magazine, GTA IV is currently 66% complete.

- When Niko pulls out a pistol, a crosshair with a simple black cross within a circle shows up on the screen. This could be an indication of manual aiming being available in the game.

- Rockstar's humorous take on the number 69 makes an appearance yet again in GTA IV, the editors of the magazine saw a sign for a "69th Street Diner". Another building called "Twitchins", the GTA version of Brooklyn's Domino's Sugar Factory, is in the game.

- Niko will be able to climb and descend exterior fire escapes and some meetings will take place high in the office buildings of skyscrapers. It's said that from on top of them you'll be able to throw people off.

- Hand to hand combat is also being reworked on for GTA IV, and will feel "much more natural" than before.

- One of the radio stations includes an "Eastern European-sounding" dancing station.

- Players will be able to change their camera views whilst in a car according to their needs. This however is said to still being experimented on, and that Rockstar want to give better control and "immediacy" to players.

- For confirmation, boats will be making a return and the handling is "really nice".

- When selecting your mobile phone, a zoomed-in version of the mobile screen pops up in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, where you can use its address book to pitch for "jobs" with gang contacts among other things.

- One of the things that makes it easier for Rockstar setting GTA in a fictional New York is that they sometimes get a call from the developers at Rockstar North in Scotland, wanting to know more about a specific building or traffic flow in a certain area, for instance, and using their in-house researchers in NYC they can easily assist the guys back at R* North.

- Dan Houser is quoted saying that the Liberty City in GTA IV is bigger than any single city they've done before, giving a more clear indication of the physical size of the game. He continues saying that the "detail" of the game is the big thing.

- He also confirms Central Park to be in the game, though it's fictional name is still unknown to us.

- Dan says that they're "certainly evolving the way the radio works". He says the same for police behaviour and their reaction to crimes. Nothing further is said about this...

- "Fun ridiculous" weapons is said to be in the game, because R* is not going too "naturalistic".

From OPM Australia:

* During the demo, when Niko passed an ATM machine a message appeared on the screen indicating a button to press in order to access his funds. Nothing more official is discussed about this, though it would appear that you'll likely be able to deposit and withdraw money from the various ATM machines across the game.

* As part of GTA IV's new physics, you'll be able to hear/feel the base of vehicles passing by with their radio turned on.

* Rockstar says that the usual GTA driving controls have been tremendously tweaked and enhanced.

* When selecting a contact on your mobile phone, a list of several commands are made available to the player, such as "meet me here" etc.

* Playing the single player game through co-operative mode is not possible, however there will be a co-op mode in addition to all the other unknown multiplayer modes.

* According to Dan Houser, VP of Creative for Rockstar Games, they haven't yet figured out if GTA IV is going to spark off another set of GTA games connected to it, and they're currently just focusing on this single game. He does say he "would have a certain confidence" setting GTA outside the United States, such as England in the future.

* When asked about a San Andreas Stories for the PSP, he replies saying that they don't have any plans for that at the moment, suggesting that they likely haven't started at all on another GTA PSP title.

http://www.gta4.net/news/3870/more-gta-iv-details-from-official-playstation-magazine-australia/

JDSN

Banned
"- "Fun ridiculous" weapons is said to be in the game, because R* is not going too "naturalistic"."

And yet they took out base jumping....

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Using fire-escapes is awesome!

Philip Glass cool!

Can't wait.

* When asked about a San Andreas Stories for the PSP, he replies saying that they don't have any plans for that at the moment, suggesting that they likely haven't started at all on another GTA PSP title.

=*(

momolicious said:
this game is coming out in like what 4-5 months, shouldnt they have alot more media now

not really...this is R* reputation.....we don't see media until a few weeks before it comes out....if even that.

...I've actually always liked how they handled this :)

AgentOtaku said:
not really...this is R* reputation.....we don't see media until a few weeks before it comes out....if even that.

...I've actually always liked how they handled this :)

So do I. It makes you crave it more, then when you finally see it you're like OH GODDAMN JIZZ FOR EVERYONE

hobbitx

no character customization
I thought you could change the hairstyles and stuff. That would suck if you have to have the same default haircut. I wanted him to look like that "popular" russian guy with the crazy sideburns, you all know the guy right?

Pikelet

Man, all that shit that they've taken out of the game just makes me wonder what new crazy crap they put in to make up for it. It seems like they are going back to basics somewhat, and i think thats great

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think they are going for a more logical, realistic, cinematic approach. They are not changing how the game plays (it's the same structure), but it's smoother, less videogamy, more immersion basically. More logical carjacking animations rather than unlocked doors is a good example, and it's confirmed (break the window, unlocks the door, etc).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
ANOTHER COUNTDOWN. HIMU! AVENG MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF