• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hot Shots Golf 5 Info and Screens

pswii60

These screens look great. But the JP demo didn't. At all.

I hope the screens show improvement made since the early demo came out, I really do.

Haven't played an Everybody's Golf game in years, so it'll be fun to return to the game. The last Tiger Woods bored me to death. Playing golf on safari looks much more fun :)

to above: I thought the Demo looked fantastic, as did anyone I've shown it too.

This will be my first import I think... it's too fun, can't wait.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jim said:
When playing online in the Vs. mode in HSG Fore (one on one), you could yell out some pre-set taunts (even while teeing off), and it never got that distracting. But with 7 other players.. we'll see.

I see. Taunts might be one thing, but 8-way cross chat probably another. Apparently the producer says in one of those articles that the distraction of that level of chat is why in-game chat is not allowed, but again the option might have been nice so people could see for themselves.

gofreak said:
FWIW, one @ B3D says that chat is not allowed in-game

WTF is wrong with these idiots. Sony shouldn't even allow online games to pass TCR if you don't even have the option of talking with your friends. Voice chat is considered standard online functionality in 2007, at least by anybody that 'gets it'.

gofreak said:
Apparently the producer says in one of those articles that the distraction of that level of chat is why in-game chat is not allowed, but again the option might have been nice so people could see for themselves.

Um, hi, my friends aren't dicks and if I play the public I can turn my headset off THANKS FOR THE CHOICE YOU MORANS.

michaeld

Banned
icon_pirate.gif
Hell yeah this looks great, better than Tiger Rehash 07 for sure!

Jim

beermonkey@tehbias said:
WTF is wrong with these idiots. Sony shouldn't even allow online games to pass TCR if you don't even have the option of talking with your friends. Voice chat is considered standard online functionality in 2007, at least by anybody that 'gets it'.

Well, uh, many Japanese devs do not quite "get it" yet, unfortunately. We're lucky they are even including online play.

They're mostly behind the curve when it comes to online functionalty, but are improving!

Jim said:
Well, uh, many Japanese devs do not quite "get it" yet, unfortunately. We're lucky they are even including online play.

That's why I blame Sony for refusing to wear the daddy pants. If they are serious about competing with Live in the West, they need to do like Live and require that the games support voice...at least in the versions of games that ship here.

I've played plenty of Ridge Racer 6 against jpn gamers and they seemed to have no issue with online voice chat. They don't seem intimidated, and they certainly aren't rude.

Zep

Banned
reminder said:
No, Hot Shots Golf meets PS3. The first HSG came out in 1997, the first Mario Golf came out in 1999. ;)

What i meant was having a country club setting as a lobby. If im not mistaken, HSG didnt have this. Pretty sure mario golf(gbc) was the first.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Taunts are already available in the demo if someone wants to check them out (press some buttons to find how to do them. IIRC they are mapped on the shoulder buttons). Just start a two player game (offiline).

Most likely I'll end up importing this just so I can get my HSG fix ASAP...and maybe pick up the NA version later on as well (depends on if I really want to buy another copy just for an English translation and play it online...might as well wait to pick up the NA version on the cheap as a GH).

Koren

reminder said:
No, Hot Shots Golf meets PS3. The first HSG came out in 1997, the first Mario Golf came out in 1999. ;)
Mario golf was available on NES and GB ;) I think I bought mine in 1991. And you could argue that Camelot made the original Minna no Golf and recent iterations of Mario Golf, while Clap Hanz started with Minna no Golf 2.

Anyway, I love both series... but Nintendo has to find a new good developper for its own series :( )

Mmmkay said:
- Because your avatar will be on the hole, you can distract opponents taking their shots
- Online stuff largely based on Mingol Online
- 6 Courses
Not sure that those are good news... Mingol online interface was awful, and 6 courses only is a disappointment for me :( And I always found taunts stupids and irritating, that has nothing to do with golf spirit.

Jim

Koren said:
Mario golf was available on NES and GB ;) I think I bought mine in 1991. And you could argue that Camelot made the original Minna no Golf and recent iterations of Mario Golf, while Clap Hanz started with Minna no Golf 2.

When people think Mario Golf, they usually think of the more current, totally over the top-style Golf game.

mario_golf.jpg

Not the older, more real-style golf, with Mario as a golfer.

NESOpen.jpg

I cannot wait for this game, especially with online play confirmed. The demo was super fun, so I'm getting my Play-Asia on for this ASAP.

I was ridiculously addicted to the PSP version last year, so I can't wait for this.

1-D_FTW

Jim said:
When people think Mario Golf, they usually think of the more current, totally over the top-style Golf game.

mario_golf.jpg

Not the older, more real-style golf, with Mario as a golfer.

NESOpen.jpg

Well, in all fairness, Golf for the NES may have had a realistic look, but the course was pretty wild in the layout.

But the original comment was stupid.

It should have been, "Seeing this makes me cry. Why don't you announce a full Golf version already, Nintendo!

1-D_FTW

Yeah. Cause it's just throwing gas onto the fire. Hot Shots golf came before Super Mario Golf and you only rile people up with that statement.

Zep

Banned
Big Zep said:
What i meant was having a country club setting as a lobby. If im not mistaken, HSG didnt have this. Pretty sure mario golf(gbc) was the first.

mariogolfgbc-1.jpg

golf54.jpg

Thats all my comment meant when I said Mario Golf meets PS3...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
beermonkey@tehbias said:
That's why I blame Sony for refusing to wear the daddy pants. If they are serious about competing with Live in the West, they need to do like Live and require that the games support voice...at least in the versions of games that ship here.
There will be plenty of games that support voice chat on the PS3. If this one doesn't, their call. I think mandating something like this as a part of any TRC checklist strays beyond what the purpose of a TRC should be and gets into platform owners telling developers how to make their games rather than just ensuring that software works on the platform as intended with minimal bugs.

dfyb

Banned
those of you arguing about taunts -- have you played the demo in multiplayer? you just press buttons to do animations and a little phrase. it's not all negative, and it's quite cool.

Agkelos

Banned
I agree, though I think that the anime design is fun a more realistic approach could be refreshing to the series. Now please bring the next installment to PSP! Like NOW!!! :D

dfyb

Banned
BojTrek said:
Does Toy Story have jaggies on DVD or are you talking about the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version?
i'm not saying the game is jaggie-free (like every other game out there), but these latest screenshots are obviously overcompressed.

edit: i'm not saying it actually has the graphic quality of toy story either

i'm just saying it looks damn nice

neojubei said:
h-103_70933_afu2.jpg.jpg

afrika returns
You took the words right out of my mouth.

This game looks fun, though I've only tried a demo for PS2 Hot Shots. Golf games are relaxing...
reminder said:
Some people think if they like something it came out first.

SolidSnakex said:

Haha thanks SolidSnakex :)

Did you see that rally car come zipping through the golf course? I wonder if they have a bunch of mini-games like racing the rally cars. Also the lobby looks like a kiddy version of HOME :lol you can slide down the handrails on your but. :p haha

dfyb

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Did you see that rally car come zipping through the golf course? I wonder if they have a bunch of mini-games like racing the rally cars. Also the lobby looks like a kiddy version of HOME :lol you can slide down the handrails on your but. :p haha
that's what i was thinking. it'd be cool if it was integrated with HOME, and when you enter the HSG area you are chibi-fied.

Kewk

Banned
This game is so close to being system seller to me... soooo close but not quite there. Maybe if another game of equal value releases around the same time I'll get a PS3.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Do it! Buy the PS3

I'll buy this day one. Heaps of fn and is looking great.

Shame the Japanese had to speak Japanese. I would import day one if it was english.

Looks amazing and we all know this game is going to be real fun to play.

Hope the online mode works well but no deal breaker for me, HSG is best played with a few friends taking turns and having a few beers anyway.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
I'm not normally into golf games at all... but after playing the demo, it's definetly on my to buy list.

It really is Everybody's Golf!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
hat being the case, 'Distractions' might be predefined animations/actions you can prompt.

yeah, in the previous one in online you had predefined taunts - but you could also clap and go "oh no/...." as well.

and you could cough... sneeze... etc... to put the player off.

Pimpwerx

HSG on the PSP is awesome. I also liked HSG2 back in the day. The only two games I've played in the series. But it's my favorite golf franchise since Lynx386. Yeah...it's been a long time. It's arcadey, but with just enough sim elements to keep the replay value high. PEACE.

Top Bottom