• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hot Shots Golf 5 Info and Screens

jacket320

I'd be interested in a league too!!

I've played the demo extensively and am undecided if I'll use advanced mode all the time. I like it for normal shots from the fairway and rough, but really don't like it from the sand and on the greens. For those with the full version, is there a way to use advanced for driving/approach shots and switch to traditional for putting? Personally, that would be the best option for me! :)

Koren

I kinda feel the same, I can't stand the new method for approach and putt... I could use it elsewhere, though.

And no, there's no such option in the game (that would be cheating, since you have a boost in power with the new method ;) )

AstroLad said:
If it's like the Japanese version, you're limited to like ten characters too, among other awful features. Seriously the worst chat system ever.

I just assumed that given the substantial wait for the NA version that they would revamp the online with basic friend/foursome functionality and standard voice chat. :(

Oh well, I'll wait for a substantial price cut.

Lince

Banned
I'm so anticipating this game, I play the demo and the PSP version everyday... please tell me the PAL disc will have the Japanese VA on it

Mojovonio

Banned
jacket320 said:
I made a EU account to get the demo when it hit the store a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty easy and only took a few minutes!

Do i need to go to a website to set this up, like you do for XBL?

Koren

Any news on US/European games compatibility for online components ? (and what about japan ?)

I own the japan game, and I may consider buying a western version for online play. But I'd like to be able to play gaffers and /or european buddies, so I'm wondering which version I should get...

jacket320

Mojovonio said:
Do i need to go to a website to set this up, like you do for XBL?

Here's the instructions for making a JPN account. I followed them like it says... but just for a European country. You might be able to just put whatever, but I looked up the address of a London business and used it for all my info. Also, you don't need to worry about putting in a credit card if you're not going to buy anything, but you can still dl free stuff just fine:

http://www.japanesepsn.com/

Which comes from this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221469

Hope that helps!

Mojovonio

Banned
jacket320 said:
Here's the instructions for making a JPN account. I followed them like it says... but just for a European country. You might be able to just put whatever, but I looked up the address of a London business and used it for all my info. Also, you don't need to worry about putting in a credit card if you're not going to buy anything, but you can still dl free stuff just fine:

http://www.japanesepsn.com/

Which comes from this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221469

Hope that helps!

Thanks man,

does the demo have online play?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Do we have any info yet on cross-region compatibility (esp. w/ Asia) and whether anything has been added to the US/EU versions? I'm just trying to decide whether laying down 60 bucks for the double dip is worth it.

Mojovonio

Banned
Glad you bumped this.

SO I played the demo, and the game is awesome as always.

But I fail to see any reason Advanced Mode would be used.

Maybe its just me, but I like seeing the distance to the hole and a rough estimation of how far I'll hit the ball on the power meter.

Advanced mode requires you to randomly choose a point in the animation and judge that to the distance required?

WHY?

Also, I think the wind has a FAR less effect on the ball than 3 and 4.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mojovonio said:
Glad you bumped this.

SO I played the demo, and the game is awesome as always.

But I fail to see any reason Advanced Mode would be used.

Maybe its just me, but I like seeing the distance to the hole and a rough estimation of how far I'll hit the ball on the power meter.

Advanced mode requires you to randomly choose a point in the animation and judge that to the distance required?

WHY?

Also, I think the wind has a FAR less effect on the ball than 3 and 4.

Advanced mode is just a totally different mode (you can still see distance to hole though). HSG trying to innovate slightly. If you come to it expecting the unit precision of normal mode, you will be frustrated. But basically it comes down to sacrificing a bit of accuracy for 10y more power and a bit more leeway on impact. It's also easier to gauge distance if you switch to the side view. Last I was online, most people choose advanced, but not all, and the regular people can compete (been over a month since I played though, maybe it's more settled now), and even better there are tournaments that force you to use one mode or the other.

For the HSG purists, there is always the Portable series, both of which use only normal mode (and have more courses and character customization).

No45

AstroLad said:
Do we have any info yet on cross-region compatibility (esp. w/ Asia) and whether anything has been added to the US/EU versions? I'm just trying to decide whether laying down 60 bucks for the double dip is worth it.
This is the one bit of information I'm really waiting for. I want to pick up the US version, but as I'm UK based I also want to be able to play online with my UK based friends.

Mojovonio

Banned
AstroLad said:
Advanced mode is just a totally different mode (you can still see distance to hole though). HSG trying to innovate slightly. If you come to it expecting the unit precision of normal mode, you will be frustrated. But basically it comes down to sacrificing a bit of accuracy for 10y more power and a bit more leeway on impact. It's also easier to gauge distance if you switch to the side view. Last I was online, most people choose advanced, but not all, and the regular people can compete (been over a month since I played though, maybe it's more settled now), and even better there are tournaments that force you to use one mode or the other.

For the HSG purists, there is always the Portable series, both of which use only normal mode (and have more courses and character customization).

Hmmmm, I'll have to try advanced again, but since HSG3, I've trained myself to depend on the distance calculations.

Also, is it just me or is the putting grid a lot more condensed?

el Diablo

Banned
I really hate the advanced mode in HSG5 but as an occasional weekend golfer i have to admit that it's the most realistic swing method i've played in a golf game in terms of hitting the ball accurately and swing variance. Hitting a club its max distance isn't hard IRL it's hitting distances between clubs that's difficult. Same as HSG5 you can hit it 100% power no problem but if you need to hit between club distances you need to shorten your swing and pray you do it right just like IRL heh. Very inaccurate compared to the 3 click bar method (which i love in golf games :lol) but very realistic in terms of difficulty of hitting random distances.

I know someone will give me wii golf or some other BS on the Wii as being more realistic because you're actually swinging the nunchuck like it's a club, but i totally disagree since even though you're swinging it like a club it doesn't take into account club speed in regards to distance etc. So really you're just waving around a stick not very accurate at all IMO.

SamBishop

Banned
Arrrrrgh! Sony finally sent over the review build of Out of Bounds and the disc arrived cracked. Boooooooo... One funny thing to note, though: I doubt the game is bigger than like three or four gigs. The actual burned part of the BD-ROM looks positively minuscule compared to the rest of it.

mintylurb

SamBishop said:
Arrrrrgh! Sony finally sent over the review build of Out of Bounds and the disc arrived cracked. Boooooooo... One funny thing to note, though: I doubt the game is bigger than like three or four gigs. The actual burned part of the BD-ROM looks positively minuscule compared to the rest of it.
That probably means..no jp voices..;<

cilonen

AstroLad said:

Further to this anyone know the japanese DLC characters and courses on the EU / US disc at release?

I'd be tempted to double-dip if they are, if not I'll go ahead and get the Japanese DLC.

TheExodu5

Banned
No voice chat? :(

I'm not so sure if I want to drop 60 bones on this now. I finally started using Goozex though...maybe I can get it off there in a few weeks.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ok well I've been playing a borrowed Hot Shots Golf on the PSP. I love this game so much. I'm definitely picking up HSG5 on the PS3. I can't believe I've avoided this series since it's inception. By far the best golf games I've ever played.

One question...does anyone know if the music on the NA version is the same as the Japan version? I liked the relaxing acoustic guitar music on the course in the Japanese demo, but didn't like the quirky and quick music in the European demo.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
So is there an "OFFICIAL" thread in the works?

Details on the US version seem scarce, and I'd love to hear that voice chat, online match making and the Japanese DLC are all available out of the box.

Alas, with virtually no news, I expect the worst.

TheExodu5

Banned
I ask my question again:

Does anyone know if the music on the NA version is the same as the Japan version?

Has the music been the same for JP and NA versions for past HSG games?

nofi

TheExodu5 said:
I ask my question again:

Does anyone know if the music on the NA version is the same as the Japan version?

Has the music been the same for JP and NA versions for past HSG games?

Don't worry about the music - worry about the voices. Seriously, I HATE the Western voice overs in HSG games.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Slaylock said:
Two new videos:

Online Tournament Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31668.html
Shot System Trailer - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31666.html

The online trailer makes it look like there is no voice chat, just text. Other than that, online looks fun.
Hmmm ... thanks for those. Not sure I like having many players onscreen at once, even if they are "ghosts". I wonder if there's an option to force alternating shots or if you can only do simultaneous play?

Defcon

Banned
What are all the different kinds of power shots you can do? Just backspin? Playing the demo, I've gotten up down to work a couple of times, but it only seems to work on the green about 50% of the time. On a fairway shot, it never works. Is this intended?

kenta

Has no PEINS
Defcon said:
What are all the different kinds of power shots you can do? Just backspin? Playing the demo, I've gotten up down to work a couple of times, but it only seems to work on the green about 50% of the time. On a fairway shot, it never works. Is this intended?
You're getting perfect shots, right? That's the only way the up/down and down/up shots work

Defcon

Banned
kenta said:
You're getting perfect shots, right? That's the only way the up/down and down/up shots work

I guess I'm not. It's hard to tell. It says Nice Shot each time, but I guess that's not perfect?

kenta

Has no PEINS
Defcon said:
I guess I'm not. It's hard to tell. It says Nice Shot each time, but I guess that's not perfect?
You need to get the final tap perfect, I can't remember if it says Nice Shot or something different if you get it, though

Edit: You might also need to get 100% strength but I can't remember for sure if that's the case or not

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
kenta said:
You need to get the final tap perfect, I can't remember if it says Nice Shot or something different if you get it, though

If you're playing on classic you'll just see the white bar that's always there. If you're playing on new, just a little white dot representing the ball. It says "Nice Shot!" a lot, including for perfect shots. You don't need 100% strength though, that's only for the blue super shots where you need perfect on power and impact.

Top Bottom