• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hot Shots Golf 5 Info and Screens

You guys are hilarious with your reaction on the boxart. It's not like they did an Orange Box or something...

Even if the boxart was the greatest thing ever, Tiger Woods will still outsell it because HSG has become a niche franchise.

kay

Bebpo said:
New modes a plenty for the Japan version on 2/7:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080201/mingol.htm

-In-match chat
-Walk around the course freely
-In 1 on 1 matches, various rules will appear

But more importantly
Feb - 1 new pay Caddie
March - 1 new pay Character
April - 1 new pay course!! (Australia)

I'm really looking forward to April. When the new course comes out I'll get back into the game for sure. Just wish it hadn't taken them this long for a new course, but at least we're getting one.
Thanks, but you sure one is a caddie and not both players? here's the new character at the end of February, Yukino
mingol10.jpg

Here's the second new character at the end of March, Gloria.
mingol11.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
You're right, they're characters. I just looked at the pic real quick and they both look like caddies but yeah 2 caddies in one pic wouldn't make sense :p

BojTrek

Banned
I wish I could play this game now...

If I follow the directions to download the JP demo... can I delete the account and still play the demo?

mintylurb

Bebpo said:
New modes a plenty for the Japan version on 2/7:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080201/mingol.htm

-In-match chat
-Walk around the course freely
-In 1 on 1 matches, various rules will appear

But more importantly
Feb - 1 new pay Caddie
March - 1 new pay Character
April - 1 new pay course!! (Australia)

I'm really looking forward to April. When the new course comes out I'll get back into the game for sure. Just wish it hadn't taken them this long for a new course, but at least we're getting one.
Ok those new additions are nice but In-match chat, 1 on 1 matches should have been included when the game first came out..

Damn, its going to hurt when it releases in Europe :(
Well, I hope Mingol 2 (PSP) is coming soon too.

I really hope Clap Hanz is taking a break of Mingol and making a new Minna no Tennis. Pretty please?

cilonen

Oh great. I have to get back into this now, set up a Japanese account and acquire some funds for it for the new character and course!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
el Diablo said:
Looks like they may be "Americanizing" Hot Shots Golf for the US afterall. If they do i won't be buying this anymore. Here's the official cover art from the official Playstation blog. Don't remember seeing the 3 chars in the background, the one hitting the ball may be the one with the glasses a few posts up.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/01/31/hot-shots-update-advanced-shot-mode/

2v84i9v.jpg

As long as they keep the anime style characters I am fine.

Hell, I already have this game so why should I even bother

(oh yeah, and when you do unlock Yuling?)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wait, do the 1v1 matches in the JP update actually allow you to watch the other person? Haven't booted up in about a month.

el Diablo

Banned
pswii60 said:
If it means it will sell more and they'll keep porting the series over to the West, then I don't have a problem.

If it's the box then i agree, i could give 2 shits about the box and they can put whoever the hell they want on it if it means more HSG for us.

Now if you mean you'd rather have chars created for the US then i'll pass and they can stop bringing them over for all i care. I can put up with 1 or 2 ridiculous American chars like Mr. Gangsta but 15 would be unplayable.

Is it just me or is there a large difference in quality between Gloria and Yukino? Maybe it's just the screenshot and the lighting but it looks like there's alot less aliasing or something like that.

el Diablo

Banned
Was just playing the HSG:portable demo for PSP and it looks like the DLC char Gloria is from that game. Outfits are the same, everything down to the mole under her eye.

Ripenen

Weird, I actually like the US box art better than the EU version. The characters all seem fine to me. I don't mind the "Americanized" characters, because they at least add a little variety to the cast. With the exception of the hair and clothes, almost all the female characters look exactly the same. Same body, same face. I think all of the characters look fine and fit the game well, but I wouldn't give up on the game just because a few new and/or different characters were thrown in the mix.

Now if they have stupid voices and catch phrases to match their archetypes, then I might be a bit put off, but only to the point of muting the voices.

6 courses? damnit.... There were so many in fore that just seems lame as hell. Feels like a safe bet there will be extra courses, but sucks getting less content. Not like it matters, i'm getting this day and its going to rock, but Its going to be the most sarcastic credit card swipe you've ever seen!!! Looking forward to playing with some you you guys online.

tyler

So who's still playing the JPN version? I'm going to try and get back into it, learn any new menus for the new modes etc.

There's a trailer on the Japanese store showing the new DLC and patches. Looks like you can freely walk and even swim around the courses.

I haven't played online in a while so will have to learn the new grading system they've brought in along with anything else new.

If you still play add me: seveNLayers

Deeku

Just played the demo on EU psn. Anyone else notice that the beginner chick character is now wearing leggings? No upskirts for EU???

.....just sayin' is all:D

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The realistic anime people are kinda creepin' me out. Reminds me of those heads people sometimes where in cosplay.

Downloaded the demo last week and I'm really enjoying it but I have a question. Using the traditional swing method it often shows a little red flag on the power meter indicating I assume how far from the whole you are. Are you supposed to just stop the power meter on this flag and if so doesn't that take any skill out of the game? I'm confused as to the point of it.

Chris R

The flag is just the exact distance to the hole. You still have to factor in wind speed, green slope, height difference, if you get a 100% shot or not, your current position, ect.

fishfash

AstroLad said:
Wait, do the 1v1 matches in the JP update actually allow you to watch the other person? Haven't booted up in about a month.

I joined a game today in the lobby with a total of 4 players including myself and I was able to see the other 3 people play and how they did their shots :D

You can actually press R3 and then you are free to roam around the course whilst the other players take their shots. You can also taunt / distract them by pressing various buttons. :lol

Still trying to figure out who is the best character to use online.....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fishfash said:
I joined a game today in the lobby with a total of 4 players including myself and I was able to see the other 3 people play and how they did their shots :D

That's great. I think I'm just going to go ahead and pick up the NA release as well, such is my love for the series.

Lince

Banned
lorddct said:
So does the US version have the same original characters, and japanese VA or it's going to get some horrible US VA?

I do hope japanese VA is on the disc, come on there's plenty room there isn't it.

fishfash

AstroLad said:
That's great. I think I'm just going to go ahead and pick up the NA release as well, such is my love for the series.

I'll be picking up the UK release hope we can all play together otherwise i'll get the US release. I downloaded the UK demo and although the game is identical to the JPN one, it just seems to be missing something, don't know what though......

Oh and the music in then UK demo was naff :lol

Mojovonio

Banned
AstroLad said:
Too bad it's full-price stateside. Paid only $50 for the Asia version shipped. I would be up for a league.

Does it have a feature like that? Something like gathering everyone's top par, or an online tourney or something?

I can't wait for this game...only a couple more weeks left...It looks amazing...I held off on importing this one, I hope they keep the quirkiness intact...

tyler

Mojovonio said:
Wait, NONE of the original characters are in it?

Suzuki is from the old games isn't he?

I'd be up for a league but it depends on the compatibility of JPN / US / PAL versions.

I wonder if the DLC that's due for Japan will be included on the disc aswell, I noticed Gloria is in the US trailer for example.

Bebpo

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Voice chat? RAWK!

No no no. It means you can TYPE during the actual matches instead of just post-match between rounds, lol.

Japanese devs don't know how to use voice chat. Probably will take them another few years to figure it out.

ZeMMiK

I'm trying the demo but I'm not understanding the controls.

X then 50 or 100% power.
Then X again to shoot but do you have to use your linker stick??
I only get balls high in the aur but not forward...

any advise is welcome

Top Bottom