• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

What? What series have you been watching?

Hated the extra padding. This is what happens when adaptations start to think for themselves. Is there a reason they didn't animate the talking ants mouth? Lazy?

I kind of assumed that they were talking via telepathy or something. I actually liked the effect because it made the ants seem more like a threatening 'other' to me complete with their own particular method of communication, using actual speech would seem more human.

I kind of assumed that they were talking via telepathy or something. I actually liked the effect because it made the ants seem more like a threatening 'other' to me complete with their own particular method of communication, using actual speech would seem more human.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what it is.

bigkrev

The one that gave us scenes like this and this. I guess thus far assessing the anime on happy or not, it largely has been I thought certainly nothing as completely distressing as we saw here.
I dont even think Greed Island had any depressing scenes, beyond just the bombers initial attack. These were poor helpless kids. I guess having his scene saying he would protect him forever, the smiling mother, and onii-chan moments, just makes it even more saddening

I'm pretty sure that was the whole point of giving those characters names and stuff.

So do these ant's speak telepathically or something? Or was the lack of mouth movement just lazy animating?

Glad to see some of the Hunters exam characters in the preview for next week!

upandaway

Yep, telepathy. All the speech involving the Queen so far was telepathy too (and I'm pretty sure it's not in any human language).

Rootbeer

Banned
I wonder, does Killua ever give Gon hell about never changing? Kil has a different outfit every day and Gon never changes it up :p The only exception Gon seems to make is for very special occasions, such as at the auction.

LuffyZoro

I guess I was misinterpreting the series too, because I also thought it was supposed to be generally happy. that's discounting that it goes back to the dark feel, because I like the parts with Killua and Gon trainin and fighting as friends better.

Rootbeer

Banned
So I assume the next arc will be animated too? And that will be the last since the manga has zero chance of finishing another arc in time. going to be painful to have a show end with so much stuff unresolved.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I assume the next arc will be animated too? And that will be the last since the manga has zero chance of finishing another arc in time. going to be painful to have a show end with so much stuff unresolved.

Dude another manga arc wouldn't even be a 1/4 done by the time the anime reaches the manga, if the manga is even started again. Togashi will release 4-8 chapters and call it a day.

Well at least unlike other shows that have manga that have tons of material or or already finished (Bleach, reborn, BLue Exorcist, numerous 12-13 episode series)...this one would be ending just on the sake of not having anymore manga to adapt :( assuming he doesnt come back and bring a huge amount of chapters this summer and fall.

Trojita

The latest arc in the manga isn't even very long from what I remember. Technically the name of the arc is a spoiler, so I won't say it.

LogicStep

Fuck.... why, why do these things happen? That sucks, I fucking love this show, it's so good!

Trojita

For those that read all of the manga released so far

Manga Spoilers!

Do you think Togashi really planned for Gon to meet his father at something like the election just randomly?

Seems like something he would do because he was lazy and just said fuck it. It was so anti-climatic lol.

zero_suit

Manga Spoilers!

Do you think Togashi really planned for Gon to meet his father at something like the election just randomly?

Seems like something he would do because he was lazy and just said fuck it. It was so anti-climatic lol.

That was way too convenient lol.

TommyT

Manga Spoilers!

I think so. That fit Ging's personality pretty well. It was a large culmination and, while anticlimactic, fit things well. We can infer that most, if not all, the events were predicted by Ging in some form or fashion. He's finally accepted his son's strength and willing to wait (since he has nothing better to do really at the moment) for Gon - albeit with an "if you can" challenge issued.

The last bit being about the meeting/talk in the tree.

Soriku

Yep, telepathy. All the speech involving the Queen so far was telepathy too (and I'm pretty sure it's not in any human language).

I guessed it was telepathy but why was she surprised when onii-chan ant came out and she was like "You can speak?" I don't think he actually spoke with his mouth then to differentiate from telepathy. Or are all the non-human ants not capable of speech?

upandaway

I guessed it was telepathy but why was she surprised when onii-chan ant came out and she was like "You can speak?" I don't think he actually spoke with his mouth then to differentiate from telepathy. Or are all the non-human ants not capable of speech?
It's not explicitly stated, but based on what we know, the Queen has that capability only so she could issue commands to the worker ants (and they aren't capable of answering back, just understanding her). That ant being able to hold a conversation is a coincidental by-product of having superior intelligence (he's assigned a higher position because he can now issue commands too). And it's all telepathy, no vocal speech from anyone, we don't even know if they're capable of it.

I assume the reason why worker ants would possess the mechanism itself is for things like distress signals or giving directions and stuff, normal worker bees can do those.

TommyT

It's not explicitly stated, but based on what we know, the Queen has that capability only so she could issue commands to the worker ants (and they aren't capable of answering back, just understanding her). That ant being able to hold a conversation is a coincidental by-product of having superior intelligence (he's assigned a higher position because he can now issue commands too). And it's all telepathy, no vocal speech from anyone, we don't even know if they're capable of it.

I assume the reason why worker ants would possess the mechanism itself is for things like distress signals or giving directions and stuff, normal worker bees can do those.

Manga spoiliers (mild, just explanations and speculations):

I'm pretty sure this ant that came out that can speak back actually vocalizes speech to our protagonists later. For a fact, other ants will be able to speak. Oh, and actually the queen speaks to humans as well eventually: when (supposedly) she tells Netero the king's name.

upandaway

Manga spoiliers (mild, just explanations and speculations):

I'm pretty sure this ant that came out that can speak back actually vocalizes speech to our protagonists later. For a fact, other ants will be able to speak. Oh, and actually the queen speaks to humans as well eventually: when (supposedly) she tells Netero the king's name.
I figured I'd adopt a "as if I didn't read the manga" attitude when I discuss stuff with those that didn't, it's just easier on me than tip toeing across spoilers and stuff.

TommyT

I figured I'd adopt a "as if I didn't read the manga" attitude when I discuss stuff with those that didn't, it's just easier on me than tip toeing across spoilers and stuff.

Fair enough. Couldn't tell if you were being vague/unknowing on purpose :p.

Rootbeer

Banned
Feel... so empty... inside

tumblr_mlztxh3ing1recpazo1_500.png

Finished 77... watched all of them over the course of about two weeks. Glad I stretched it out a little. Now to decide if I should read the chimera ant manga arc or what.

Concerned about the quality of art in the manga though... The artist looks like he's barely trying. I know the stories are long so pages don't get much detail, but man... when your art degrades to the point that it looks like thumbnail sketches you should reevaluate wtf you are doing.

Effect

So they're actually animating the Ant arc or starting to? Nice! Let the horror begin. :( I've actually been dreading seeing this animated a little do to it's content and how some of the fights turn out. However that means at least the show is going to be ending sooner rather then later since the manga is still on it's break. :( Though there are parts where I guess you could pad things out a lot.

Did the Greed Island arc turn out better then the original OVA? Same with the York Shin arc? Two of my favorites and why I haven't completely blown off the series do to these hiatus.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Did the Greed Island arc turn out better then the original OVA? Same with the York Shin arc? Two of my favorites and why I haven't completely blown off the series do to these hiatus.
Greed Island? Definitely better than the original OVA. York Shin is a tie imo. You should definitely watch the two arcs in this new one.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Episode 78

Awesome episode. I'm liking all the added stuff that wasn't in the manga...though it could be me not remembering but I could swear some of the scenes in this episode weren't in the manga.

Soriku

Episode 78

OK so these ants CAN actually talk with their mouths. At least the ones with human blood in them. Also lol at the penguin "ant" already being able to read books.

The kids' mom :'( Well at least she ain't dead. Wonder if there'll be some development with her and Kurt-ant.

Interesting background stuff with the D2 drug thing. Don't know what that'll be about.

Also someone start raising the death flags.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I liked how the narrator was like, "shit's about to get real for Gon and Killua". Hahaha.

isual

Episode 78

OK so these ants CAN actually talk with their mouths. At least the ones with human blood in them. Also lol at the penguin "ant" already being able to read books.

The kids' mom :'( Well at least she ain't dead. Wonder if there'll be some development with her and Kurt-ant.

Interesting background stuff with the D2 drug thing. Don't know what that'll be about.

Also someone start raising the death flags.

This is the best arc. You get to see the strongest Hunters, the capabilities of the Spiders, and a bit of a cameo from Killua's family endgame

tumblr_mmbdjfuLxn1rc29jno5_500.jpg

Best, please have a large and significant role, though dont steal screentime from Killua and Gon. I dont see how people thought this episode was depressing and what not,
The woman and children were spared and then characters were deemed as "endearing". The mom even protected a child from harm, kudos
. I guess I thought the episode was alright, too many animals and what not, I hope we get more humans and human based designs, as I just cant get into any of them. Kurt is starting to be kind of interesting though and so earnest.

Surely the birthed king will be weak as all these normal humans just cant really be all that powerful, shouldnt she be trying to get them to get nen users?

TommyT

tumblr_mmbdjfuLxn1rc29jno5_500.jpg

Best, please have a large and significant role, though dont steal screentime from Killua and Gon. I dont see how people thought this episode was depressing and what not,
The woman and children were spared and then characters were deemed as "endearing". The mom even protected a child from harm, kudos
. I guess I thought the episode was alright, too many animals and what not, I hope we get more humans and human based designs, as I just cant get into any of them. Kurt is starting to be kind of interesting though and so earnest.

Surely the birthed king will be weak as all these normal humans just cant really be all that powerful, shouldnt she be trying to get them to get nen users?

They don't know about nen yet. I do have a gripe which might be a bit spoilerish:
I thought the nen users weren't created until after she ate someone with nen. The end of this episode and the preview for the next already showed a LOT of nen ant users, even though they haven't 'discovered' it yet. Edit: Going back over the manga it doesn't seem like this is the case, and they just realize they can use it after seeing it used or having it used on them.

LuffyZoro

They don't know about nen yet. I do have a gripe which might be a bit spoilerish:
I thought the nen users weren't created until after she ate someone with nen. The end of this episode and the preview for the next already showed a LOT of nen ant users, even though they haven't 'discovered' it yet.

Well, every person has potential for nen. Maybe that carries over into the ants, and they learn how to use it after they find out about it.

Finished 77... watched all of them over the course of about two weeks. Glad I stretched it out a little. Now to decide if I should read the chimera ant manga arc or what.

Concerned about the quality of art in the manga though... The artist looks like he's barely trying. I know the stories are long so pages don't get much detail, but man... when your art degrades to the point that it looks like thumbnail sketches you should reevaluate wtf you are doing.

Don't excuse him. There's plenty of manga just as long and wordy as HxH. He literally wasn't trying

CrazyDude

He redraws them for the volume release.

bOom9.jpg

Kyuur

I thought the nen users weren't created until after she ate someone with nen. The end of this episode and the preview for the next already showed a LOT of nen ant users, even though they haven't 'discovered' it yet.

Manga Spoilers

All humans have nen latently in them, so all human-derived ants have it as well. The ants learn how to USE Nen after discovering humans with the ability. Some of the ants born already have basic Nen usage (Gyo for example).

TommyT

Yeah, after a quick jump back I figured it out (and edited). Seems like it the real 'discovery' is in chapter 198.

Top Bottom