• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
giphy.gif

Can't wait to get the series in Blu-Ray!

Auctopus

Started watching this earlier this week and absolutely love it.

Have just finished Season 2 and love the constant plot progression.

Pluto

Preordering the Blu Ray set as soon as it goes live. Thank you for the information
I'd wait for reviews considering the how shitty their Sailor Moon Blu-Rays are. Are there japanese Blu-Ray masters they can use? If not they're probably fucking this up too.

Slaythe

I'd wait for reviews considering the how shitty their Sailor Moon Blu-Rays are. Are there japanese Blu-Ray masters they can use? If not they're probably fucking this up too.

What is wrong with them ?

The japanese sailor moon bluray were actually decent and had better drawings / animations than TV version.

What happened ?

evanmisha

The japanese sailor moon bluray were actually decent and had better drawings / animations than TV version.

What happened ?

He's talking about their shitty upscale and even mastering that went into their 90s Sailor Moon Blu-rays. With that said, he has nothing to worry about here. They'll be using the Japanese BD masters, with very little creative work on their side. Should look like the Japanese BDs with a lower bit rate, some banding, and down mixed 2.0 audio in the Japanese track.

Pluto

What happened ?
Like evanmisha said, I was talking about the original series Blu Rays. VIZ upscaled the DVD masters, completely fucked up the picture quality and to make it worse, for their DVDs instead of using the DVD masters they received the downscaled the previously upscaled Blu Ray versions which means their DVDs are just as bad.
Viz claimed that they have the best version possible when in fact their "HD" Blu Ray release is inferior to ever other international release. It's pure shit, it's so bad that Madman in Australia rejected Viz's masters and dropped their planned Blu ray release, they're using the Viz dub but got proper masters for their own release that are now DVD only.

With that said, he has nothing to worry about here. They'll be using the Japanese BD masters, with very little creative work on their side. Should look like the Japanese BDs with a lower bit rate, some banding, and down mixed 2.0 audio in the Japanese track.
That's good to know. If the price isn't too high I'll bite, don't care about the dub though, it won't be good, I've never heard a good american anime dumb, at best they're not awful which is weird considering all the great talent involved with american cartoons, it's not like you don't have incredibly talented voice actors.

Jigolo

Like evanmisha said, I was talking about the original series Blu Rays. VIZ upscaled the DVD masters, completely fucked up the picture quality and to make it worse, for their DVDs instead of using the DVD masters they received the downscaled the previously upscaled Blu Ray versions which means their DVDs are just as bad.
Viz claimed that they have the best version possible when in fact their "HD" Blu Ray release is inferior to ever other international release. It's pure shit, it's so bad that Madman in Australia rejected Viz's masters and dropped their planned Blu ray release, they're using the Viz dub but got proper masters for their own release that are now DVD only.

That's good to know. If the price isn't too high I'll bite, don't care about the dub though, it won't be good, I've never heard a good american anime dumb, at best they're not awful which is weird considering all the great talent involved with american cartoons, it's not like you don't have incredibly talented voice actors.

There are plenty of great English anime dubs. Unless you mean something else by "american" dubs. Samurai Champloo for example, it's even better than the original japanese VA

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ghost Stories, Planetes, Gurren Lagann, Psycho-Pass, and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex to name a few. And Baccano. Baccano must be heard in English.

It's fine if you don't prefer English dubs, but knocking all of them for a few flops isn't kosher.

SalvaPot

Best place to start for someone new?

Watch Hunter x Hunter 2011 by Madhouse, I believe is on Netflix, the first few episodes are a bit slow but the pace picks up after a few chapters. The Anime is fastpaced with almost no filler and it adapts the manga fairly fatefully.

Moaradin

Is Hunter x Hunter on Netflix still incomplete? I remember it missing like 50 episodes. Crunchyroll has them all if you run out on Netflix.

faint.

Even if the dub is absolute trash I'm still going to buy it. This will be my first physical purchase of any anime despite the fact that I've been watching it for over 7 years now.

Slaythe

Do we have any news on the manga ever coming back btw ?

I have been following this manga before Naruto even started and I am feeling extremely old and discouraged at the idea that I'll never see the end of the story.

Rootbeer

Banned
i hope they air it on tv.

i'm curious about how the dub will turn out but i'm more than happy with the Japanese version.

the biggest potential gain out of this for me is that maybe they will release some HxH merch in the west now, apart from the obvious Blu-Rays in english.

I adore my Gon, Killua and Kurapika figma. Really wish Max Factory would make more characters!

Popping in to say that the gf and i have officially added this to the binge train. We are hooked. Halfway through season 1 and showing no signs of slowing down.

Pleasantly surprised when I found out it's from the same guy behind Yu Yu Hakusho.

Jigolo

Popping in to say that the gf and i have officially added this to the binge train. We are hooked. Halfway through season 1 and showing no signs of slowing down.

Pleasantly surprised when I found out it's from the same guy behind Yu Yu Hakusho.
Very cool. Just an FYI on a few things, the Netflix "seasons" don't really follow arc to arc to the tee. They also don't have all the episodes so I would suggest watching the last few online somewhere. And last but not least, the show is on a steady uphill from beginning to end. Enjoy!

Daingurse

I really wish someone would have just told me the series was made by Togashi, creator of Yu Yu Hakusho. I slept on the manga at first because the first volume cover didn't look interesting lol.

Hunter_x_Hunter_cover_-_vol1.jpg

Now it's my favorite shounen manga/anime period, only DBZ compares and that's because of nostalgia. Keep watching and enjoy! This shit escalates.

Whenever this topic gets bumped I get filled with false hope :(

Not for one second did I think the manga was back haahahaha. I knew this would be some new blood.

Auctopus

Just finished the Netflix set and have been halted halfway through a season.

Been kindly donated a 48hour Crunchy pass but I'm gonna have to set aside a day or two to finish the whole thing off. ~35 episodes or something.

Very cool. Just an FYI on a few things, the Netflix "seasons" don't really follow arc to arc to the tee. They also don't have all the episodes so I would suggest watching the last few online somewhere. And last but not least, the show is on a steady uphill from beginning to end. Enjoy!

Got a two week Crunchyroll trial waiting in the wings so we don't have to take a break. We already burned up to Netflix Season 3 (so Yorknew City is about to start).

every time, without fail

Ha! I just saw how long this has been on hiatus. Hate to get hopes up, just had to share how much fun we're finding this show. Feeling very lttp on this one since so many friends and family have watched it already.

I'm so jealous of the people who have never seen this show. This series is such a fucking joy to watch. The characters, the story arcs, aaaaaaahhhhhh. I may need to watch it again.

Imagine my surprise that it'd gone under my radar for so long. Can't get enough of this show.

Osaka15

Banned
Maybe the manga needs a Kickstarter to add new chapters. I am willing to put a lot of money to see more episode of the greatest anime created.

Hyun Sai

I've come to the realization long ago that this probably won't finish. Just treat the anime ending as the true ending, it's better for everyone. :(

Hell it wouldn't even be close to a bad ending, especially compared to other shonen manga.

I agree, open ending is better than a shitty one.

At this point I'm expecting a cancellation of the manga series. I would be a little interested to see if someone ever took up the story and made a legit good fan ending. It sounds like something the Mother / Earthbound fan base would do so maybe the HxH base is out there somewhere

At this point I'm expecting a cancellation of the manga series. I would be a little interested to see if someone ever took up the story and made a legit good fan ending. It sounds like something the Mother / Earthbound fan base would do so maybe the HxH base is out there somewhere

Why cancel it? This has been the status quo for about a decade and the series still sells well on the back catalog. It would be a bad business move.

Lirlond

Maybe the manga needs a Kickstarter to add new chapters. I am willing to put a lot of money to see more episode of the greatest anime created.

Toagashi has more money than he could ever spend. He's married to Naoko Takeuchi, creator of Sailor Moon, who has more money than she could ever spend.

Money isn't the issue.

Slaythe

Why not go the lazy Toriyama way ?

Either design new characters and write movies / main plot points and let anime studios make a new series or movies to conclude that manga.

Top Bottom