• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Popping in to say that the gf and i have officially added this to the binge train. We are hooked. Halfway through season 1 and showing no signs of slowing down.

Pleasantly surprised when I found out it's from the same guy behind Yu Yu Hakusho.

I don't blame you for bumping this thread.

But that doesn't mean I can't hate you with every fibre of my being.

yami4ct

At this point I'm expecting a cancellation of the manga series. I would be a little interested to see if someone ever took up the story and made a legit good fan ending. It sounds like something the Mother / Earthbound fan base would do so maybe the HxH base is out there somewhere

Not trying to insult you, but did you just pick up on HxH with the new anime? This has been the way of things for like a decade now. Is this break longer than normal? Yes, but not by all that much. It's just Togashi being Togashi. Someday we'll randomly get the announcement he's picking it back up and we'll get chapters like a week later. It's just how it is. If Togashi was going to give up and cancel, he would have done it long ago.

Not trying to insult you, but did you just pick up on HxH with the new anime? This has been the way of things for like a decade now. Is this break longer than normal? Yes, but not by all that much. It's just Togashi being Togashi. Someday we'll randomly get the announcement he's picking it back up and we'll get chapters like a week later. It's just how it is. If Togashi was going to give up and cancel, he would have done it long ago.

I gotta say,
I just picked it up myself too... and personally? The anime's ending feels complete to me. despite some plot threads on the floor, it felt like it already did everything it set out to to me.

A cancellation wouldn't be bad news, from where I'm sitting. I say this as a huge Leorio fan who would be stoked to see a season about him, even.

jett

D-Member
I just finished an insane binge-a-thon of the entire show. I made a post about it in the general anime thread six episodes in, about I was not really feeling the show, and asked if I should stick to it. Man, am I glad I did. HxH won me over soon enough. This is pretty much my experience throughout the show:

DkfVMKJ.gif

What a great, emotional ride. The Chimera Arc is easily my favorite. The creator must surely be a Speaker for the Dead fan, thematically it reminded me so much of the book. At first I dismissed the show as average shonen, but it really is so much more.

Aside from the main ones, my favorite character was probably Bisky, just cuz she was just so dang funny.

Best moment gotta be episode 131. It's as close as I've felt to pure elation while I watching a movie or a tv show.

Moaradin

I watched the entirety of the Chimera Ant arc weekly and enjoyed every second of it :p

I was really invested with all the characters though.

jett

D-Member
I watched the entirety of the Chimera Ant arc weekly and enjoyed every second of it :p

I was really invested with all the characters though.

I just seems like it would've been an insufferable experience.

Anyway, what happened to Kurapika? And is Alluka male or female? The subtitles were pretty confusing.

edit: eh read a wiki. :p

every time my hope is crushed

but im glad you liked it jett, the chimera ant arc is one of the best shonen arcs i've ever read/watched. pure gold.

Alluka is male, but he likes to addressed by Killua as his sister

Kurapika shows up again in the next arc, but unfortunately we're on GOD DAMNED HIATUS

Our patience will be rewarded. Someday.

If Memento(my favorite movie) can get a pointless remake, then surely the cosmos will grant us something good in return right?

Tizoc

While possible, that's just a theory. The "brother"/"sister" thing was never actually explained.

IIRC all the Zodiac family children are identified as male. I guess their mother wanted a daughter and had Alluka behave with female mannerisms.
It's not uncommon to see it in a few Japanese media/fiction.

jett

D-Member
Apparently Kalluto is also male but identifies as a female, according to the HxH wiki. I didn't even catch a hint of that.

Glad this got bumped as I haven't checked back in since we finally finished the show. I gotta say, I went in with a really open mind to the Chimera Ant Arc, but the
30 minute attack on the palace spread over a ton of episodes
absolutely blew. The series as a whole was stellar, but it made the harsh stop in quality that much worse.

And just so I'm clear with myself on the breakdown of the entire ant arc -
The segment with Kite, leading up to their first conflict with Pitou, was amazing. The training segment with Knuckle, Shoot, and Palm was just alright, but watching Morel and Knov slowly pick off the squad leaders was good. Seeing the King at first, and watching the crew infiltrate Gorteau was fantastic. And then, oh man, the palace invasion. Awful. Even the Chairman v Meurem and Gon v Pitou fights didn't reach the heights I thought they would, mainly because I was constantly afraid that the show would go back to a snail crawl pace at any moment - which it did, multiple times.

Not expecting to share this opinion with others, but it is what it is. I was down with the tone / setting shifts of every other arc, but the narration heavy ant arc wasn't for me.

Only straggler question i have is (ant arc related spoiler)
Who the fuck is Gyro and why did I have to watch half an episode of his backstory?

Who the fuck is Gyro and why did I have to watch half an episode of his backstory?

I don't think there is ever an explicit answer for that question.

But the gist of it is that the ants' personalities were inherited from people eaten by the chimera queen, and Gyro's personality was the one inherited by the Ant King.

Gyro's sob backstory was supposed to explain why the King resonated so well with Komugi. She was raised to be someone that speaks when spoken to, and not disturb or interfere with higher ups. And Gyro was raised in a similar albeit more brutal vein before he rose up and became a crime lord.

Fandangox

There's lots of speculation out there, but no one knows, is one of the biggest teases of the Manga and we will most likely never find out.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've been watching this series on Netflix for the last few weeks, just got up to the fourth season and the show is really starting to lose me. I keep expecting things to pick up and get interesting but it feels like the show just jumps to something else and gets the ball rolling only to stop short and jump to the next random section.

At first it was kind of refreshing in an unexpected way to have a sudden tournament arc at the end of the hunters test only to skip it except for one battle and tell the rest in a, relatively, quick flashback. Now it just feels like the author was just making it up as he went along. That and they are doing that terrible, lets repeat this same scene three times and have different people talk through the events and explain what they saw or how they interpreted the events.

I'll probably keep watching but the show isn't really winning me over like it has a lot of others.

Betty

Banned

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Everything about the invasion is handled just as it was in the manga 1:1, no filler, but that's not what makes it amazing.

The constant tension, the threat of death over the tiniest decisions, the mind bending thought each character has to exert just to survive a few extra seconds, it's magnificent.

It contains many of the series best moments and episodes with
Gon confronting Pitou and Netero V Meruem
being the high points.

I could write a thesis on why the chimera ant arc is so damn good, but the invasion is the most crucial element and not only makes the arc truly great, but elevates the series as a whole.

But the gist of it is that the ants' personalities were inherited from people eaten by the chimera queen, and Gyro's personality was the one inherited by the Ant King.

Gyro's sob backstory was supposed to explain why the King resonated so well with Komugi. She was raised to be someone that speaks when spoken to, and not disturb or interfere with higher ups. And Gyro was raised in a similar albeit more brutal vein before he rose up and became a crime lord.

There's lots of speculation out there, but no one knows, is one of the biggest teases of the Manga and we will most likely never find out.

Gotchya, makes sense if it'd be the king given his last interaction with Welfin.

Ronin Ray

I've been watching this series on Netflix for the last few weeks, just got up to the fourth season and the show is really starting to lose me. I keep expecting things to pick up and get interesting but it feels like the show just jumps to something else and gets the ball rolling only to stop short and jump to the next random section.

At first it was kind of refreshing in an unexpected way to have a sudden tournament arc at the end of the hunters test only to skip it except for one battle and tell the rest in a, relatively, quick flashback. Now it just feels like the author was just making it up as he went along. That and they are doing that terrible, lets repeat this same scene three times and have different people talk through the events and explain what they saw or how they interpreted the events.

I'll probably keep watching but the show isn't really winning me over like it has a lot of others.

Watch the Chimera Ant arc it is amazing . I thought the same thing about the show but I was so wrong. That arc may have have put Hunter x hunter in the top 5 anime for me.

Fandangox

Don't know if you would like the rest of the series then, it does tend to introduce a bunch of plot points to leave them hanging on a semi-relevant matter for the series duration. The manga/anime tends to swap supporting cast often, so that's also a reason, although I really like the varying supporting cast through the series. Also I honestly liked how they handled the tournament at the end of the exam, it was refreshing to have the tournament's plot be based on an incident that happen during it as opposed to the actual 1vs1 fights, not to mention that the concept was interesting (only win once to pass) and that we got to see Gon get his ass handed to him.

Also did you stop at the ending of fourth season, or at the beginning? Is that the one after the Heaven's Arena? If so I'd recommend at least watching the Yorkshin arc as is usually one of the, if not the most, popular ones in the series.

Everything about the invasion is handled just as it was in the manga 1:1, no filler, but that's not what makes it amazing.

The constant tension, the threat of death over the tiniest decisions, the mind bending thought each character has to exert just to survive a few extra seconds, it's magnificent.

being the high points.

I could write a thesis on why the chimera ant arc is so damn good, but the invasion is the most crucial element and not only makes the arc truly great, but elevates the series as a whole.
Ok but Betty, there's a difference between constant tension, where you use suspense and the threat of danger to keep your viewers guessing.

And taking ten episodes to explain what happened in the 10 seconds after Dragon Dive.

There comes a point sometimes where it's just like: "enough, let's move on."

Gotchya, makes sense if it'd be the king given his last interaction with Welfin.

I think they skipped this is the anime for some reason but (manga spoilers)
Gyro is not the King. He's a random ant that got his memories back immediately after he reincarnated and left town without ever joining the other chimera ants.

being the high points.

Wow, cool to see this take on it. I bolded this part because it's likely where we won't agree. In theory, everything you wrote is what I watched, and it sounds like it'd be really interesting to see unfold. But when I sat down to actually watch it, the show
compressed time to such a great degree that I was no longer interested. I honestly think it lost it's potency by making every slight emotional thought into a turning point or a character revelation. I could try watching it again, but as a viewer, I was anything but tense until Netero v King. Maybe I got a little nervous when Morel almost bit the dust too.

EDIT:
Dusk Soldier said:

I have to admit, this is exactly how I felt during a majority of the palace invasion.

harSon

Banned
I started watching the new series for the first time. I'm the type of person who can't bring themselves to rewatch shit, so having seen the original anime and ovas a few years before this new series came out - I was reluctant to watch it (I haven't watched the new Full Metal Alchemist for the same reason). I kind of regret it now because I've really enjoyed it. I just wrapped up Greed Island, and am an episode or two into the Chimera Ant arc.

Also, Gon's dad is the most ain't shit parent in anime.

Betty

Banned
Ok but Betty, there's a difference between constant tension, where you use suspense and the threat of danger to keep your viewers guessing.

And taking ten episodes to explain what happened in the 10 seconds after Dragon Dive.

Maybe I'd feel the same if I had to wait for each episode to come out every week but watching them back to back I didn't feel that.

Seriously I watched the whole series twice last year and I didn't feel it dragged at any point... the only part that kinda felt stretched was when
Gon and Killua were being trained by Knuckle
earlier in the arc.

I'm pretty sure that it was supposed to be some sort of teaser, considering Welfin and co.
go looking for the guy in the Shadow Troupe(Genei Ryoudan) turf
. They seem to imply that he would be some sort of rival to Gon too, considering the narration.

Also, MANGA SPOILERS:

The manga sets up some kind of weird race to the "dark continent" and it's very possible that there are other Chimera Ants like the queen there. So Gyro maybe would appear there trying to seize some power.

Edit: one thing that I liked in the manga was the clock counting down to zero which each "second" of the battles passing by. Shame they got rid of it in the anime.

Yonafunu

This is actually not true.

This:

I think they skipped this is the anime for some reason but (manga spoilers)
Gyro is not the King. He's a random ant that got his memories back immediately after he reincarnated and left town without ever joining the other chimera ants.

is.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Watch the Chimera Ant arc it is amazing . I thought the same thing about the show but I was so wrong. That arc may have have put Hunter x hunter in the top 5 anime for me.

That's basically what I've been trying to do since I started watching as I kept hearing everyone saying how amazing the Chimera Ant arc was. I actually enjoyed the first arc about the Hunters exam even though it did drag at points, the characters were still fun and it was entertaining.

Don't know if you would like the rest of the series then, it does tend to introduce a bunch of plot points to leave them hanging on a semi-relevant matter for the series duration. The manga/anime tends to swap supporting cast often, so that's also a reason, although I really like the varying supporting cast through the series. Also I honestly liked how they handled the tournament at the end of the exam, it was refreshing to have the tournament's plot be based on an incident that happen during it as opposed to the actual 1vs1 fights, not to mention that the concept was interesting (only win once to pass) and that we got to see Gon get his ass handed to him.

Also did you stop at the ending of fourth season, or at the beginning? Is that the one after the Heaven's Arena? If so I'd recommend at least watching the Yorkshin arc as is usually one of the, if not the most, popular ones in the series.

I just got to the Greed Island Arc. Yeah I'm not a fan of the way the show jumps around from storyline to storyline. It feels like they are just about to get somewhere and then it drops it for a totally other story, I mean they are talking about cards and stuff in Greed Island, wish the story was a bit more focused.

I also didn't mind the abrupt ending to the tournament act but the pacing is pretty bad in the series, they constantly reshow the same footage over and over and just have people blathering on about some minute facet of that scene only for someone to do it again right afterwards. Come ON! Then again this is something nearly every Shonen story has a problem with.

I do enjoy the show in parts but they are so few and far between right now. For example Gon learning Nen and then taking on Hisoka was fucking great but it took so damn long to get there.

I'll keep on with the show but I admit the huge amount of love this show gets when stuff like Naruto and Bleach get crapped upon for very similar issues kind of surprises me. Hoping the show does get better for me though as what I have liked was really good.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Chimera Ant's greatness is pretty much wasted once they animated it. lol. What you can read in like 5 minutes is being stretched out for like 20.

kirblar

Chimera arc is exhausting, but holy shit that payoff for it.

Gyro is clearly a setup for something, but we'll probably never know what it was.

smurfx

get some go again

Gyro is clearly a setup for something, but we'll probably never know what it was.
yeah he was probably being set up as a new antagonist but we absolutely will never see him since the next arc would likely be the longest arc of the manga and we are currently on a year long hiatus.

marzlapin

Nice timing for the bump, 'cause I just started watching this last week and I'm INCREDIBLY INTO IT! I don't really know why I've been overlooking this series for so long, but it's quickly becoming my favorite of the long-running, ultra popular shonen series. Shame about the hiatus situation, but oh well.

I am so on board the Hisoka love train. You beautiful, creepy clown man, you.

Daingurse

Was just reading a chapter yesterday about Gyro in the manga that didn't really get adapted into the anime. Looks like his relevance was going to be far reaching and significant. Might have been expanded on in The Dark Continent Arc.

Wasn't there like a whole episode dedicated to the Gyro stuff? Or is there more that didn't get adapted?

Yeah, there was a bit more. While Gon and Killua are training to take the tokens from Knuckle and Shoot, they show Gyro and go over his backstory that was adapted to the anime, but they also brought up the fact that he immediately broke the control of the Queen. I don't remember that part in the anime. Definitely was setting him up for something big.

Top Bottom