• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

My memory from the old series is fading. What was episode 62? Did the old series even finish York Shin? I don't remember. My suggestion though is to watch this new series from the start. It's really good and I remember from MANGA GAF back when I used to post, that you were a HxH fan. This new series goes by fast.

Kurapika gets the eyes and meets up with Killua and Gon again.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
Hey guys for someone who watched the original series up to 62, what ep of the new series should you pick up from?

I say go from the start. The voices, soundtrack, and general flow are so different it's best to experience it in full from episode 1. Plus a lot of 99 was filler, not to mention things are handled differently based on what they put in, like Kite's episode.

My memory from the old series is fading. What was episode 62? Did the old series even finish York Shin? I don't remember. My suggestion though is to watch this new series from the start. It's really good and I remember from MANGA GAF back when I used to post, that you were a HxH fan. This new series goes by fast.

Oh this is not for me I have seen both the old and new series and ovas already its for a friend of mine who recently got obsessed, but I don't remember the exact episode to make him continue from since I think its better to jump in the new series than to watch the OVAs at this point.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Chimera Ant > Yorkshin > HxH Exams > Election > Greed Island > Heavens Arena > Zoldyck Family

But all are incredibly awesome, trying to rank the arcs of HxH is so difficult because of how awesome they all are. If anyone is clearly "the worst" it would be the Zoldyck Family arc because it's super short though it does give set up the later Election arc so it balances it out.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
Chimera Ant > Yorkshin > HxH Exams > Election > Greed Island > Heavens Arena > Zoldyck Family

But all are incredibly awesome, trying to rank the arcs of HxH is so difficult because of how awesome they all are. If anyone is clearly "the worst" it would be the Zoldyck Family arc because it's super short though it does give set up the later Election arc so it balances it out.

I don't think there's a worst exactly, just the least best. Greed Island is the last on my list, but I still liked it. I like seeing Gon friendship everyone and anything that he comes across so the Zoldyck arc is perfect for that. Plus it really sets up major foreshadowing and all kinds of things I doubt Togashi forgot. Though it wasn't ever stated aloud, Kikyo is from Meteor City. I still keep thinking on that and just how she and Silva met.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
Who?

*googles*

Killua's Mother? Was her name ever mantioned? I don't remember it.

Come to think of it, no. I don't think her name was ever said aloud either. Or Maha's, Killua's great grandpa who makes an appearance once.

I believe Canary mentions it during the Zoaldyk arc when she's talking to Killua as a kid. Or maybe it was to him in the Election arc. I just know she tells him she'd gladly give him a tour.

Moaradin

I just finished the Yorknew City arc. That was great stuff. Reading some of the earlier post in this thread, I'm kinda surprised at some of the earlier comments saying they were disappointed. I've had a great time with this series from the very beginning.

Wiseblade

I just finished the Yorknew City arc. That was great stuff. Reading some of the earlier post in this thread, I'm kinda surprised at some of the earlier comments saying they were disappointed. I've had a great time with this series from the very beginning.

The arc doesn't have the giant fight climax that the genre is known for. The closest thing is Kurapika vs Uvo, which is pretty much a curbstomping.

Moaradin

The arc doesn't have the giant fight climax that the genre is known for. The closest thing is Kurapika vs Uvo, which is pretty much a curbstomping.

Yea, I realized there hasn't been many generic anime fights in general for this series. I like that though, it's different.

And by earlier comments I meant some of the comments from the first couple arcs. I really enjoyed the exam arc and the Heaven's Arena in this series. A lot of the post when this series first started were pretty negative. I guess I haven't seen the original series so I have nothing to compare it to.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member

The only real one happens in Greed Island. Hunter Exam, Gon get's the cute knocked out of him by Hanzo, Killua quits, Leorio doesn't even fight, Kurapika just fights normally. Heaven's Arena, Gon get's TKO'ed by the ref because of a small hit. York New, ultimate game of hide and seek. Togashi doesn't want to follow the normal cliches of things so every arc will end in the lest expected, anti climatic way possible while still being great.

Moaradin

I'm all caught up. I loved Greed Island, might be my favorite arc so far. This new arc has been fucking great though. Love seeing all these new powers, and shit is getting pretty dark.

It's pretty ridiculous that I watched 82 episodes in 4 days.

Kaizer

Banned
The only real one happens in Greed Island. Hunter Exam, Gon get's the cute knocked out of him by Hanzo, Killua quits, Leorio doesn't even fight, Kurapika just fights normally. Heaven's Arena, Gon get's TKO'ed by the ref because of a small hit. York New, ultimate game of hide and seek. Togashi doesn't want to follow the normal cliches of things so every arc will end in the lest expected, anti climatic way possible while still being great.

That's pretty much what I love about it. As someone who was new to Hunter x Hunter and only started reading it when this new series started, it's become my favorite Shounen series, even more than One Piece, because I like it how does things differently. For instance, the Yorknew City arc was able to build up so much tension and had me on the edge of my seat despite no big, flashy battles.

I feel that with Hunter x Hunter, it's the brief, but stunning displays of power that instantly let you know what the stakes are.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hope everyone is excited for the next episode coming up.

I found a new soundtrack (alright, technically an album by a band that does some HxX music) that came out in May. Anyone heard it?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SNCC-86924

So how many arcs are there?
In the manga, 7 arcs completed, and 1 chapter released for the 8th arc. currently on hiatus. The 2011 anime is currently working through arc 6. Arc 7 is fairly short, similar in length to the Heavens Arena arc (arc 3)

*edit* noticed the Gon Figma is currently sold out on amiami. I have Gon, Killua and Kurapika all pre-ordered! If you are interested in these figs, best secure them while you can.

Lulubop

Pretty eh episode, but it was covering probably the weakest chapter in the entire arc. Next week should be really good.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
Pretty eh episode, but it was covering probably the weakest chapter in the entire arc. Next week should be really good.

Compared to what's gonna happen next week, this is pretty weak. But still, I'm a bit disappointed. They even let Gon's muscular arms go back to normal, until he fought that is. And despite their blood being blue, Madhouse still went with what I hate the most... white blood splatter.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
Take a gander at last week's fight and this one. Hence it seeming less great I suppose. I rather enjoyed Kite's scythe attack, and the attack name being sliced as well, but Gon and Killua's were just "eh."

Though as Kite said, it's only going to get worse from here. And by worse we mean violent.

Lulubop

Take a gander at last week's fight and this one. Hence it seeming less great I suppose. I rather enjoyed Kite's scythe attack, and the attack name being sliced as well, but Gon and Killua's were just "eh."

Though as Kite said, it's only going to get worse from here. And by worse we mean violent.

In addition to being a rather throw away encounter.

Soriku

I guess I liked it because we don't normally get these type of fights in HxH. If this was a different battle-oriented Shonen I probably wouldn't have cared as much.

Rootbeer

Banned
i like the fights in this ep. No, they weren't as good as last episode but I feel the same way about how the two fights were portrayed in the manga so I don't blame madhouse. They actually extended Killua's part of the battle. In the manga it was not shown.

Jigolo

Good ep. My understanding now is clear. At first I wasn't sure if the Captains were actually captains or royal guards. But now after the explanation its much better.

Rammot - soldier
Colt- captain level
My guess is those characters from the intro are royal guards which we should see one next week.
Then King which I assume is in the intro as well.

Loudninja

Hope everyone is excited for the next episode coming up.

I found a new soundtrack (alright, technically an album by a band that does some HxX music) that came out in May. Anyone heard it?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SNCC-86924

In the manga, 7 arcs completed, and 1 chapter released for the 8th arc. currently on hiatus. The 2011 anime is currently working through arc 6. Arc 7 is fairly short, similar in length to the Heavens Arena arc (arc 3)

*edit* noticed the Gon Figma is currently sold out on amiami. I have Gon, Killua and Kurapika all pre-ordered! If you are interested in these figs, best secure them while you can.
Thanks!

vareon

Am I right in remembering that Chimera Ant is the longest arc HxH have, in terms of chapter numbers? My memories are a bit blurred. Hiatus and all that.

I...I just don't want this to end ;_;

dan2026

Am I right in remembering that Chimera Ant is the longest arc HxH have, in terms of chapter numbers? My memories are a bit blurred. Hiatus and all that.

I...I just don't want this to end ;_;

Its very, very long.

Up to the Ant arc is 184 chapters.
The Ant arc itself is about 132.

tumblr_mo45dt9ZhJ1sqkqlko5_250.gif

Alright episode, everyone was just typical dull fodder enemies, and being animals makes it even harder or even just impossible to really relate or care for them, not to mention the terrible personality. First episode in awhile where I was looking at the clock hoping for it to end soon. Killua was fantastic though (favorite song on the ost played during his fight too)
Kite's scythe was cool but could have been so much better in how they displayed the attack and what not

I hope Colt gets a power upgrade, unfair if Rammot gets to hog it all.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
Considering the ant's personalities, habits, and choices of clothing, you'd think they ate a whole army of gangsters, not ordinary farmers. Peggy, Colt, and maybe 3 others are the only one's who are actually nice or not that violent. Zazan and that ant who got her neck snapped remind me of prostitutes.

Considering the ant's personalities, habits, and choices of clothing, you'd think they ate a whole army of gangsters, not ordinary farmers. Peggy, Colt, and maybe 3 others are the only one's who are actually nice or not that violent. Zazan and that ant who got her neck snapped remind me of prostitutes.

We might just not be seeing the farmers. It's probably the NGL underground people fighting.

upandaway

I loved the fights. Dunno what you guys want except for outright removing these kinds of scenes (<- silly).

We might just not be seeing the farmers. It's probably the NGL underground people fighting.
I'd imagine the stronger people (i.e. underground people) are those who got turned into the higher ranking/stronger ants. It makes sense that the farmers became the grunts who barely even possess intelligence or speech.
I'm not sure but I think it said somewhere that ranks are only decided after birth

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
I'd imagine the stronger people (i.e. underground people) are those who got turned into the higher ranking/stronger ants. It makes sense that the farmers became the grunts who barely even possess intelligence or speech.
I'm not sure but I think it said somewhere that ranks are only decided after birth

Colt was the young boy remember. He even accidentally called the Queen his sister, so there had to be some cold hearted farmers there.

upandaway

Colt was the young boy remember. He even accidentally called the Queen his sister, so there had to be some cold hearted farmers there.
He was also the first human and also had genes of a bird and other animals like the other ants in his egg batch, and he really is not that strong. But yeah it's not gonna be a black and white thing, it's a bit of a weird thing to be analytical of to begin with.

dan2026

What did people think of
Pitou's
(glad when I can stop spoilering the name) voice from the preview.
Its a lot higher pitched and 'cute' than I expected.

Add to the creepy dissonance I suppose.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
Personally I'd like an androgynous, soft voice. Buuut for what's going to come next I can see how her (I guess we can call it a she now) voice will affect things.

Daingurse

Episode was not not too bad. Kite really is making me laugh, complaining about his Nen power. Gon is probably one of my favorite Shonen protag's. He'd rather show mercy, but he's not quite as that naive , he will do what needs to be done. It's amazing I really don't remember this arc at all . . . I just can't wait to see some Knuckle. I really can't remember exactly why lol, but I know I liked this dude.

That's pretty much what I love about it. As someone who was new to Hunter x Hunter and only started reading it when this new series started, it's become my favorite Shounen series, even more than One Piece, because I like it how does things differently. For instance, the Yorknew City arc was able to build up so much tension and had me on the edge of my seat despite no big, flashy battles.

I feel that with Hunter x Hunter, it's the brief, but stunning displays of power that instantly let you know what the stakes are.

What? It had 2 big flashy battles

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I liked the episode myself. The fights were pretty good IMO and we're finally going to be introduced to that character next episode! As Kaito said, shit's about to get real!

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
What? It had 2 big flashy battles

The biggest I can think of are Silva/Zeno vs Chrollo and Kurapika vs Uvo. I guess you can count Uvo's requiem a fight too since the Spiders went against the Mafia. Though, Chrollo's fight was so underwhelming since there was no clear victor and even when discussing who won, it can't be 100% since anything can happen in a nen battle. Despite being weaker, I bet Kite could win against Hisoka depending on what weapon he draws, even if it's a bad weapon.

dan2026

Hunter x Hunter is a strange battle shonen that is never really about the battles.

They usually get stopped, or the situation changes or nothing happens at all.

Just look at Chrollo vs Hisoka. Climatic end to the arc!...not so much.

Top Bottom