• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

wonzo

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 2011 52
hxhr52.jpg
hxhr52a.jpg
hxhr52b.jpg
hxhr52c.jpg

Yep, they did a pretty good job with this fight. It wasn't as well animated as the past few but it was still pretty awesome to watch unfold after all of the build-up. However, I must say I preferred the original series depiction of this fight as it was better paced and felt like there was more "weight" to it. Definitely looking forward to the next episode.

Erigu

Wait, Kuroro and Silva met before? Did they add that or I may have missed that before?
Nah, that was in the manga already. Although they did clarify a bit by adding a couple of lines and tell us that Killua's dad killed a Troupe member.

The phone conversation between Kurapika, Killua, and Gon was my favorite part of the episode. It was just as thrilling as the fight and really gave certain emotions.
Was torn between wanting Kurapika to help, but then wanting him to try to keep Gon and Killua from getting involved since they could get themselves killed. Though when Killua got all agitated and threw the line about being friends or equals, that was really touching. Hopefully Kurapika considers it and bad relations between the three arent formed for the sake of getting revenge. Terrible afraid that revenge will get the best of Kurapika and he may abandon reason and lose control. He seems like the type of character where in the center of this situation it could really happen. And unlike Killua, he has no Gon to keep him in check...

Fight was really good.
Chrollo not managing to land a single blow yet having a pretty solid defense until Silva got really serious was applause worthy. And then Zeno's intense dragon attack. It looked really amazing. I liked the purple for it. And lastly, finally getting what seemed to be the nen beams Ive waited so long for. Definitely a really exciting fight. Just realized that Silva continued to fight even with that poison going through him from the blade.

If only they could have included a bit more!.

vareon

The Kuroro vs Silva&Zeno is a bit different, in the old anime. IIRC it was in a dark room and not a brightly lit one, and I don't recall Chrollo greeting Silva in the beginning. The old fight felt more "heavier", too (maybe because it's the last episode in the series). But the new fight conveys the emotions better, I think. I really felt Chrollo's oh shit they're strong moments yet he's still confident that he can survive fighting two of the best assassins in the world. Loved it.

Which makes me sad since we're nearing the end of York Shin Arc :(

Uchip

Banned
The Kuroro vs Silva&Zeno is a bit different, in the old anime. IIRC it was in a dark room and not a brightly lit one, and I don't recall Chrollo greeting Silva in the beginning. The old fight felt more "heavier", too (maybe because it's the last episode in the series). But the new fight conveys the emotions better, I think. I really felt Chrollo's oh shit they're strong moments yet he's still confident that he can survive fighting two of the best assassins in the world. Loved it.

Which makes me sad since we're nearing the end of York Shin Arc :(

well its more like
when you see zeno shooting a nen beam, it was like oh shit hes strong enough to shoot nen like a laser. In the new one its just so bright and flashy that nothing looks intimidating

Einhander

Episode 52

It was nice. The highlight was the
Chrollo vs Zeno/Silva fight and fortunately, it'll pour into the next episode. Looking forward to the rest of it.

vareon

well its more like
when you see zeno shooting a nen beam, it was like oh shit hes strong enough to shoot nen like a laser. In the new one its just so bright and flashy that nothing looks intimidating

I also like the heavier tone of the old series:
Km0cn.jpg

He looked like he's about to fuck things up. I'm in my office so I can't compare it to the new episode, though.

Radec

Old HxH handled that episode much better imo.

Sorry but im new in this remake, but i dont get it. Why did they remake the old hxh instead of continuing where it left?

Kazerei

Banned
I sort of like how the pace has slowed down a little, so as to explain things in more detail and build up the drama. But the fight got dragged out weirdly. I liked the original series better here as well. It was darker, faster, and had better music.

Sorry but im new in this remake, but i dont get it. Why did they remake the old hxh instead of continuing where it left?
I do not think there's a way to get a new generation of hunter x hunter fans caught up if they had just started where they left off. nor a low cost and legal way for people out of Japan to see all the old episodes to be caught up to. Though isnt the goal to faithfully adapt the material to new and old fans?

I do not think there's a way to get a new generation of hunter x hunter fans caught up if they had just started where they left off. nor a low cost and legal way for people out of Japan to see all the old episodes to be caught up to. Though isnt the goal to faithfully adapt the material to new and old fans?

This!
I missed out on it the first time around so I'm glad they remade it.

I'ts my favorite anime right now. It just has a nice mix of everything(adventure, action, fighting, mystery, dark, FUN!!)

Shouta

The old anime is more than 13 years old now, I think? While it's an incredibly good and well-done series, it's not going to capture a newer audience because well, it isn't shiny. Plus it'll allow them to be consistent with the entire run. The first TV series had good animation up until the end of the York Shin/Auction arc and then it went into lalala-shit land animation-wise.

The original series is just about one of the best manga adaptations there is because of how it manages to perfectly create the mood you'd expect and the direction is insane. It also does filler in such a way that works for the series and if you didn't know before, it would look like it was a part of the original manga itself.

Radec

Looks interesting nonetheless.

Isn't the Previous #4 was killed by Hisoka?

Then why did HXH(2011) says Silva killed him ?

(Or I assumed that wrong since he replaced the #4)

upandaway

It's probably semi-canon the same way One Piece: Strong World is. That guy probably really is the number 4 at least.
Yeah, at the bare minimum there shouldn't be any contradictions with canon, and it might even be backed up by canon in the future. Dunno if that's enough to make it canon.
And yeah that guy's 4 by canon, his name I think is Omokage. And I'm pretty sure Hisoka said he killed him to replace him..

They say something that he's the number 4 that betrayed the troupe or something or whatever? Or do they mean Hisoka himself? I'm not nearly confident enough to translate that oh man

Kazerei

Banned
Episode 53

Again, I sort of like how the new series explains things in more detail, but it actually ends up being weird. The order of the scenes in the old series worked better.

Ep 53

The episode went in a whole different direction than I was expecting, actually the whole arc.

I mean with the Zoldycks and Chrollo somehow working together and the fight being a draw. I thought it was actually going to be one to the death, not just the Chrollo working together with Illumi and Zeno and Silva knowing about it. Then to top it off the auction proceeding and no one having a clue about the dons being killed. What an elaborate and intricate scheme that somehow feels flawless. Togashi has really crafted an excellent story and it just took by surprise, completely from when we even say Illumi just walking up in that first scene to the ending moments of sadness. I dont even know what will even happen next or how Gon Killua and Kurapika will undercover this entire plan. Hisoka even cut off communication so that wont even provide a tip off. I need the next episode now.

I just want to give Kurapika a hug, poor dude so much sadness and depression.

Einhander

Episode 53

Good episode.

I wasn't anticipating Chrollo hiring Illumi and Kalluto to kill the twelve dons. What an interesting twist. Funny how all the mafia members believed the Phantom Troupe gang have been killed.

I hope we get to see a fight in the next episode.

Episode 53

I wasn't anticipating Chrollo hiring Illumi and Kalluto to kill the twelve dons. What an interesting twist. Funny how all the mafia members believed the Phantom Troupe gang have been killed. I hope we get to see a fight in the next episode.

Everything seemed so resolved that I wonder how they will work in getting characters in position to fight

Piecake

Just starting watching it, and while im not a huge fan of the VA and the music is worse than the original, I am enjoying, and i imagine ill get used to the VA eventually. What I like most is the pacing. The problem with a lot of anime (im looking at you, one piece) is that the pacing is absolutely horrendous because they try to drag everything out so they dont catch up to hte manga.

Still, while its not as good as the original so far (the atmosphere of the original was amazing), it is quite good, and hopefully it will keep up this quality through the ant arc. Im basically watching it to see GI and the ant arc since the anime adaption of GI was a was positively awful, and id like to see that done right. Id also like to see the ant arc not done in squiggly lines, but proper drawings and animiation

Just starting watching it, and while im not a huge fan of the VA and the music is worse than the original, I am enjoying, and i imagine ill get used to the VA eventually. What I like most is the pacing. The problem with a lot of anime (im looking at you, one piece) is that the pacing is absolutely horrendous because they try to drag everything out so they dont catch up to hte manga.

Still, while its not as good as the original so far (the atmosphere of the original was amazing), it is quite good, and hopefully it will keep up this quality through the ant arc. Im basically watching it to see GI and the ant arc since the anime adaption of GI was a was positively awful, and id like to see that done right. Id also like to see the ant arc not done in squiggly lines, but proper drawings and animiation

The volumes released afterwards fixed the terrible drawings. Good luck finding them though.

Piecake

Wow, Hisoka's voice and music is SOOOO disappointing! I can deal with the rest, but man, this is just like a BILLION times worse than the original

Wow, Hisoka's voice and music is SOOOO disappointing! I can deal with the rest, but man, this is just like a BILLION times worse than the original

The soundtrack (2 thus far) for HxH 2011 is really good and fits in once you really get into it. I think youre the second Ive come across that had misgivings initially about Hisoka's voice, which is really fitting once one gets in and reaches key scenes.

Piecake

The soundtrack (2 thus far) for HxH 2011 is really good and fits in once you really get into it. I think youre the second Ive come across that had misgivings initially about Hisoka's voice, which is really fitting once one gets in and reaches key scenes.

Hisoka's original voice was perfect, and i seriously do mean perfect. He sounded like a deranged, ominous perv. This guy just sounds like a Japanese dude with a mariachi band

I havent had an issue with the rest of the music, just Hisoka's so far, though it really hasnt set the tone and atmosphere of the original

Hisoka's original voice was perfect, and i seriously do mean perfect. He sounded like a deranged, ominous perv. This guy just sounds like a Japanese dude with a mariachi band

I havent had an issue with the rest of the music, just Hisoka's so far, though it really hasnt set the tone and atmosphere of the original

The anime delivers on Hisoka, chill out and keep watching.

Einhander

I love Hisoka's voice. I couldn't imagine him sounding differently. I haven't watched the original series, so I can't compare the two. The calm demeanor in his voice adds to his disturbing nature.

TommyT

Is there a place like Crunchy Roll (or maybe you can on there as I haven't looked quite yet) where you can pay to watch subbed episodes?

Or... is this like manga, and I just need to Google?

bigkrev

Is there a place like Crunchy Roll (or maybe you can on there as I haven't looked quite yet) where you can pay to watch subbed episodes?

Do you mean the current series? Its on Crunchyroll, 1 week delay on episodes if your not premium.

Crunchyroll lets you pay to watch subbed episodes, the majority of crunchyroll is subbed anime (720p and 1080p, no ads)

zero_suit

I love Hisoka's voice. I couldn't imagine him sounding differently. I haven't watched the original series, so I can't compare the two. The calm demeanor in his voice adds to his disturbing nature.

Trust me, his voice in the original is the definition of perfect.

Ifrit

So I've been holding out for this anime. But after some epsodes, is the original series still considered superior than the new one? Or should I jump straight to the filler-less new one?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Yeah, its called Crunchyroll :lol

TommyT

I'll check that out, but don't get yourself in trouble if sites like that aren't welcomed in some of these threads.

Do you mean the current series? Its on Crunchyroll, 1 week delay on episodes if your not premium.

Crunchyroll lets you pay to watch subbed episodes, the majority of crunchyroll is subbed anime (720p and 1080p, no ads)

Yeah the current series. I used to have a paid sub to them for awhile to watch a few different shows until I was having issues with the person(s) running the site. Hopefully they've gotten better about a few things over the years. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks.

Yeah, its called Crunchyroll :lol

edit: Ahh, I meant to say "... pay to watch subbed episodes of this series." Not just subbed episodes in general. I see the disconnect :p

Kazerei

Banned
So I've been holding out for this anime. But after some epsodes, is the original series still considered superior than the new one? Or should I jump straight to the filler-less new one?

The original series only had like 2 episodes of filler, and it was so awesome you wouldn't know it was filler.

There are some moments I think the new series handles better, but overall, I still prefer the original series.

You could probably look at the episode lists and at least see which moments you want to experience again in the newer updated animation and music. Eventually you'd have to watch this one since it seems set at passing whereever the original series stopped. Of the numerous moments Ive seen of the old one after watching it in the new version, I like the new one more.

Ifrit

Thank you both, I think I'll check out the new one until some big moment, and then compare it with the old to see, which one does it better

upandaway

Thank you both, I think I'll check out the new one until some big moment, and then compare it with the old to see, which one does it better
Big moments already happened, and the general consensus (as far as I've seen) is from "old anime is way better than this" to "old anime is only slightly better than this if you look at it from a certain angle", from the former to the latter as more episodes come out

Because the new anime is likely to go further than the old one, you'll probably watch the new anime in the end no matter what. If you're fine with making a switch at some point, now would be as good a time as any. The old anime's ending is this week's new anime episode, so it would be watch all of old anime -> start from new anime episode 52/3.

If you don't wanna go through switching VAs and all that, you can just go with the new anime from the beginning.. but it shoots up in quality around episode 40, so I'd say at the earliest to start watching it from that episode.

Top Bottom