• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Information suggests Switch 2 could release second half of 2024

Dorfdad

Gold Member

Nintendo Switch 2 Rumored to Launch in H2 2024; OLED Version Already in Production​

Exactly two months ago, the Japanese publication Nikkei wrote that March 2025 was the most likely release window for the new console as it allowed Nintendo to produce enough consoles to sell to consumers.

However, Samsung leaker Connor (OreXda) wrote this morning on Twitter/X:

The Nintendo Switch 2 is expected to launch as early as the second half of this year. Significant contracts have already been negotiated in the component industry for initial production.

• Tegra T239 - produced by Samsung Foundry 7LPH
  • Display - Samsung OLED
  • With the exception that LCD models may be released first (using Sharp Display)

If this would be true when would this require an announcement? Retail preorders etc have to happen and marketing. Could they pull this off and within 1 year release in OLED version as well?

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Wasn’t it already more or less “confirmed” that the console will launch with an LCD screen and won’t be until early 2025?
Nothing had been official. Speculated yes but now we have this rumor. If they are already producing oled models would people buy the lcd to only have the oled release within a year? Wouldn’t that reduce sales for the console?

Wasn’t it already more or less “confirmed” that the console will launch with an LCD screen and won’t be until early 2025?

They could be persuaded to release it in 2024. Even with no native games, it would sell... provided that they make it clear that they are coming.

Boy bawang

Remember clowns like Nate The Hate claiming that it would release in 2022? And his minions gulping on that info?

There's nothing tangible suggesting an imminent announcement, and Nintendo is going to need time to promote their new system and avoid the fuck ups from the Wii to wiiu transition where people didn't know if it was a new system or an accessory.

The ship has sailed for 2024 and we'd be lucky if early 2025 is the release date. Late 2025 is likelier and even early 2026, if they hit hardware or software delays, is still in play in my opinion.

Bond007

If this was the case i would be sitting out launch and waiting on the OLED.
If releasing in the fall i personally don't think the ship has sailed just yet. Early summer would be the deadline in my eyes to start building hype.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I do think the timing makes the most sense for Nintendo to release in 2024. There’s basically nothing huge slated for Christmas release right now, especially in terms of hardware. It’s possible we’ll see a PS5 Pro, but that’ll almost certainly be $600-700.

If Nintendo could release a $350-$400 Switch 2, and simultaneously drop the Switch 1 price to $200 (or $250 with Mario Kart, etc), that’d be pretty huge for them and they’d certainly clean up the holidays. Plus the console would probably be in short supply for the first 3-6 months of 2025, which is a narrative Nintendo always loves pushing.

Funnily enough, I think the external force with the most potential to damage Switch 2 sales will be GTA 6. The simple fact that it’s the most anticipated game probably ever and it won’t be on the Switch 2 will inevitably strip away some of the lust and hype for the console.

But I suppose they could still get away with a Q1 2025 release, too. Either way, I wanna believe.

Hudo

Remember clowns like Nate The Hate claiming that it would release in 2022? And his minions gulping on that info?

There's nothing tangible suggesting an imminent announcement, and Nintendo is going to need time to promote their new system and avoid the fuck ups from the Wii to wiiu transition where people didn't know if it was a new system or an accessory.

The ship has sailed for 2024 and we'd be lucky if early 2025 is the release date. Late 2025 is likelier and even early 2026, if they hit hardware or software delays, is still in play in my opinion.
Nate was also gaslighting everyone like a motherfucker after the Switch Pro never appeared. Claiming he always meant the OLED version of the Switch, etc.

These "leakers" are masters of bullshittery.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
A non-custom, non scaled down custom version of a T239 SoC in a Nintendo console? I truly want to believe, but I'm not holding my breath.

LordOfChaos

A non-custom, non scaled down custom version of a T239 SoC in a Nintendo console? I truly want to believe, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Switch's Tegra X1 was pixel for pixel identical to the regular Tegra X1, only under clocked

Though that was a bit different as that was a perfect storm for Nintendo, Nvidia had wafer silicon agreements for more TX1's than Nvidia could sell alone and Nintendo in their eternal cheapness swooped in on that

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Switch's Tegra X1 was pixel for pixel identical to the regular Tegra X1, only under clocked

Though that was a bit different as that was a perfect storm for Nintendo, Nvidia had wafer silicon agreements for more TX1's than Nvidia could sell alone and Nintendo in their eternal cheapness swooped in on that

I think they also added 1 GB of memory to the base X1 as well?

But at the time the X1 was already a few years old. AFAIK the T239 hasn't even began fabrication yet, and the T234 it's based went into limited fab for manufacturers specifically requesting it (?) early last year.

I poked around and read some Nvidia docs and articles but I can't find anything concrete. But if they actually get a straight up T234 (edit: T239) into a new Switch this year I will be all over it, especially if they can provide an upgraded experience for old games like Microsoft / Xbox does.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo can solve everything with a switch 2 announcement and they won’t have to worry about a thing for the next 15-20 years.

tr1p1ex

doubt it but ...possible. you'd hear about it in less than 2 months if so. 5 months before launch is the latest them or anyone else has officially revealed a console. Which would mean June.

Nintendo year end financial results will be in soon. And projections for next year. And if the new console is launching before end of March 2025...we'll see it in projections. Of course this woudln't distinguish between Holiday 2024 and early 2025.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Odyssey 2 and Prime 4 as launch titles. Next gen patches for all the Xenoblade games and both Zeldas day one.
Would add new Mario Kart there is almost no way they dont release it without a new Mario Game, and a Zelda Wind Walker Remaster soon after

Dorfdad

Gold Member
If this was the case i would be sitting out launch and waiting on the OLED.
If releasing in the fall i personally don't think the ship has sailed just yet. Early summer would be the deadline in my eyes to start building hype.
Nintendo would do everything possible to salvage some last $ from current stock. Most people would just wait now, so Nintendo would need to do a price drop to spur them into buying one now. I just think many others would have leaked some info they can't be this good at keeping it a secret.

mnkl13

nintendo doesn't have anything announced past luigi's mansion hd. almost all of the games they launched this year are just reworked versions of old games. the new games they are working on or thinking about releasing soon are probably games with a switch 2 in mind. they might want to use them for the console announcement and release them with it, because the games are better with the new console, even tho they surely run on the original switch. is it possible that they won't release anymore games till sometime next year? i kinda think they have to do it this year

Last edited:
I have no idea who this is. Just a random post on twitter. Very safe predictions here though. I doubt magnetic connections are a thing. Would not want my joycons popping off while playing.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Cool.

Gonna buy it for my gf. First Nintendo system I'll be buying.

(Did own a SNES, but traded it for our Mega-Drive + Mega-CD)

Woopah

T239 was designed for Nintendo, so there's no need for any customisation or scale down.

The T239 is itself already a scaled down, custom version of T234.
nintendo doesn't have anything announced past luigi's mansion hd. almost all of the games they launched this year are just reworked versions of old games. the new games they are working on or thinking about releasing soon are probably games with a switch 2 in mind. they might want to use them for the console announcement and release them with it, because the games are better with the new console, even tho they surely run on the original switch. is it possible that they won't release anymore games till sometime next year? i kinda think they have to do it this year
They have 6 first party Switch games in the first 6 months of the year, so it would be very odd to have none for the rest of the year.

I bet the original plan was to announce their H2 lineup alongside the Switch 2. But now that isn't coming until early 2025, so they need to rethink things.

Ma-Yuan

Im Ready for this moment...

But I will wait 6 months, due to the technical failures of the first consoles. I learned that from the disastrous Xbox 360.
I have a launch N64 works like a dream, launch gamecube same, launch wii same, launch wii u same, launch switch same, Launch GBA SP same, launch DS, Launch 3DS, Launch new 3DS. I think you can trust big N on the hardware department 😊

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Just depends on if you believe the report they are delaying to shore up supplies.

The nature of the reported delay wouldn’t have delayed production, on the contrary it suggests they want to get going ASAP.

Top Bottom