• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Information suggests Switch 2 could release second half of 2024

Nintendo Switch 2 Rumored to Launch in H2 2024; OLED Version Already in Production​

If this would be true when would this require an announcement? Retail preorders etc have to happen and marketing. Could they pull this off and within 1 year release in OLED version as well?
Nothing is official until Nintendo announces it. All the news about an internal delay to 2025 was never commented on, but everyone took it and ran with it. While it does seem likely at this point it would've been announced by now if it was less than 5 months away, it's not set in stone. At this point I'm pretty firmly Camp March 2025.

But I will say that Nintendo not having *any announced software past June 2024 does lend credence to Camp Fall/Holiday 2024. Because not announcing any software for H2 2024 because it's all tied to the new console which hasn't been announced yet...that all perfectly ties together and would explain it.

Either way, Nintendo will certainly have things to discuss publicly starting 5/7 with their FY briefing. And I'd fully expect a big general Direct in May or early June, regardless of if new hardware is coming this year or next. Again, it makes zero business sense to announce the new hardware before end of the year if it's not launching until 2025.

Last edited:
Until Nintendo says something official, I still believe it is ONLY limited BC.

I realize it seems crazy. But it is what I believe.
It's just that it's become this thing that everyone expects to have. Like, so many games now never end, and players expect everything to carry over to their new console. Nintendo knows that.

Manufacturing has to realistically start 6 months before the release of such a product, which means contracts signed, people trained and hardware finalized. Color me skeptical.
Yeah it’s far more likely they’re just gonna stockpile inventory and just have multiple millions to sell starting in March with plenty to get them through the first couple months. Unless they’re literally gonna start marketing the new console and announce it in the next like 30 to 45 days I think 2024 is pretty much out at this point.

But if they’re announcing it early in the summer, it wouldn’t make any sense to skip Gamescom because that would be an obvious way to have people try the new hardware before it launches this fall

The week of 5/7 their plans for the next 12ish months should start to fall into place and make sense. They can’t conceal new hardware from their FY forecast ending March 2025. So unless it’s April 2025 or later we’ll hear at least something in May this year about it, even if it’s just a blip.

More importantly, assuming there’s no new hardware this year they’re certainly gonna have a Direct in May or June to fill out the second half of the year with software cause there’s still plenty of money to be made on switch hardware and switch games for the next nine-12 months.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Only if the switch takes a massive drop in sales. Which isn't going to happen.
Yeah but imagine the Holiday Sales for a new one. Will probably sell out regardless, but a $100 drop on original switch and a 499.99 Switch 2 would be bonkers for revenue Year End

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It's because people like OP Keep posting topics like "Nintendo might do this" and "Rumours say Nintendo might do that" - and there's absolutely nothing of interest or substance.
I didn't make up the rumor lol. I just posted that bigger websites are stating it's possible, and I added to the discussion on a FORUM what would this entail for Nintendo to make that happen.

Yeah but imagine the Holiday Sales for a new one. Will probably sell out regardless, but a $100 drop on original switch and a 499.99 Switch 2 would be bonkers for revenue Year End
If I were a betting man, I would say Nintendo will just completely replace the switch and begin to just sell the switch 2, and phase out the current models and never having had to do a price drop after they made it this long, without ever needing to do one.

Most of the switches sold now are the OLED model and that one has a really bad margin, even now.

tylrdiablos

I didn't make up the rumor lol. I just posted that bigger websites are stating it's possible, and I added to the discussion on a FORUM what would this entail for Nintendo to make that happen.
You didn't make the rumour up but you spread it and drove traffic towards the garbage sites that post this crap. And it is crap. It's click-bait and you know it.
Yes you've posted to a discussion forum but there's nothing to discuss. As stated above, this is people making stuff up to drive traffic to their website.

Any sites/forums etc that are posting rumours, speculation or claiming to have insider info.... just ignore it. It's not worth a second thought until something official is actually announced.
Unconfirmed "news" is not actual news.

tr1p1ex

They announced the Switch 5 months before it launched. But it launched in March.

For an Xmas launch they would need to stockpile more units due to greater demand which means ramping up production earlier which means an official announcement would come earlier. ...which only further takes down the already low odds of a launch this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom