• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Jersey beach shut for everyone bar Chris Christie and family

Roi

New Jersey beach shut for everyone bar Chris Christie and family
Budget standoff closes down state government, including shutting Island State Park Beach to the public, but governor still gets to partake of sun and sand

3500.jpg

New Jersey's picturesque Island Beach State Park was closed over on Sunday due to a budget standoff, except for Governor Chris Christie, his family and friends.

The governor, a Republican, shut down the state government at midnight on Saturday in a health insurance battle with the Democrat-led legislature.

While others were reportedly turned away by police, New Jersey Advance Media took a picture of Christie with his wife Mary Pat and others on the otherwise deserted beach.

Christie later travelled by helicopter from the beach in Berkeley to the state capital Trenton to hold a news conference about the shutdown. Asked if he got any sun, Christie replied ”I didn't get any sun today."

When later told of the photo showing him relaxing on the beach, Christie's spokesman Brian Murray said: ”Yes, the governor was on the beach briefly today talking to his wife and family before heading into the office."

But that did not mean Christie got any sun. ”He had a baseball hat on," Murray said.

[..]

Asked if this is fair, Christie said: ”Run for governor, and you can have a residence there."
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ut-for-everyone-bar-chris-christie-and-family

Tony Dearing (@TonyDearing)

Gov. Chris Christie and family soak up sun on state beach he closed to the public. @AndyMills_NJ https://t.co/5NfFIv4IWX pic.twitter.com/nnWVxw5XT1
July 2, 2017
https://twitter.com/TonyDearing/status/881641358305394690

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The only thing I would want to see less than Trump sunning on a beach is Chris Christie.

The amount of front butt...yecchhh

Amalthea

Banned
It's somewhat ironic how America was founded to escape from 18th century absolutist kings and their nobility and now its leaders have become basically the same.

I imagine when your approval rating is as low as his is, and you're sitting in your lame duck period, there's a certain sense of "ahhh, fuck it. Why not?"

As I said in the PoliGAF thread, Christie seems exactly like the spiteful type who'd fuck everyone, even his own party, on the way out.

WaterAstro

Everyone should protest and storm the beach.

There's no way they can arrest everyone because of this stupid shit.

Xe4

Banned
As I've said before, I find it hilarious (and sad) that Democrats had two corrupt ass governors, and then Republicans come in and say "we got this we can give you a governor that was twice as corrupt as either of them."

duckroll

As I've said before, I find it hilarious (and sad) that Democrats had two corrupt ass governess, and then Republicans come in and say "we got this we can give you a governor that was twice as corrupt as either of them."

Is it even possible to be elected to public office in New Jersey without being corrupt? Serious question.

BigDug13

Is it even possible to be elected to public office in New Jersey without being corrupt? Serious question.

With the amount of money now allowed to be used in campaigns, it wouldn't surprise me if more and more corrupt individuals gain office moving forward.

sangreal

Nope

watch Bob Menendez get elected from prison next year

With the amount of money now allowed to be used in campaigns, it wouldn't surprise me if more and more corrupt individuals gain office moving forward.

NJ corruption has little to do with campaign financing changes

FBI operations are so common here they just started numbering them

Wag

Holy shit. He should at least be charged operating costs for what it would cost to keep the beach open for a regular day.

Holy shit, the more paragraphs I read from the article, the more outrageous it got.

Just based on this news alone, it's crystal clear that a person like Christie does not have the qualities or dignity to serve public office.

First you take away your state citizens their public facilities, then you use them as if they are your private facilities, then you lie about it, and when exposed you create the lamest, slap in the face, excuse possible.

Kthulhu

It's somewhat ironic how America was founded to escape from 18th century absolutist kings and their nobility and now its leaders have become basically the same.

Thomas Jefferson has a choice quote about that.

Nope

watch Bob Menendez get elected from prison next year

NJ corruption has little to do with campaign financing changes

FBI operations are so common here they just started numbering them

Why are they so corrupt compared to most states?

Holy shit, the more paragraphs I read from the article, the more outrageous it got.

Just based on this news alone, it's crystal clear that a person like Christie does not have the qualities or dignity to serve public office.

First you take away your state citizens their public facilities, then you use them as if they are your private facilities, then you lie about it, and when exposed you create the lamest, slap in the face, excuse possible.

Unless this is your first time hearing about Christie, you should've figured that out long ago.

ryan13ts

What a piece of shit. This is kids stuff for him though. After all, this is the scumbag whose team intentionally manufactured a traffic crisis in Fort Lee, as revenge against it's mayor for not supporting him in his political ambitions, putting God knows how many people's lives at risk and halting emergency services, just for petty bullshit.

The guy is pure garbage through and through, so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
It was packed as hell in long branch today. We had to stop letting people into our development because of the overflow of people looking to get on the beach. Meanwhile this idiot...

Epcott

Yet my local Fox affiliate ran the news this morning as if nothing was wrong with this. They lightly joked wondering if Christie got enough tan. Ugh.

It was packed as hell in long branch today. We had to stop letting people into our development because of the overflow of people looking to get on the beach. Meanwhile this idiot...

Umbrellas went almost back to the boardwalk it was crazy @ long branch

Meanwhile this fat fuck got to enjoy a private beach.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
They might have loose morals, but at least they're a healthy-looking family.

How'd Christie get elected anyway?

4ish years of democrats, including John Corzine, where our taxes rose and Christie leading the charge for pissed of NJ residents.

How do you close a beach?

The title of the thread is a bit miss leading. We're in a budget gridlock so, on a holiday weekend, Christie decide to shutdown all state parks. The governor's beach house (not actually Christie's house) is located on a state park (Island Beach State Park).

Top Bottom