• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Killzone Mercenary Trailer

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Am I the only one not impressed by the graphics? Don't cellphones and tablets pull of these kind of graphics already?
They do pull out some pretty nice stuff. And as an aside, while I love my ipad for games, I don't pay much attention to these styles of games on it cos they're invariably terrible.

This is certainly not PS3 level graphics, but I don't expect it to be.

velociraptor

Killzone is awesome, but I hope, for Killzone 4, they update the weapon designs.

The Killzone universe has a lot of potential. I remember reading about an amazing backstory to KZ2. It's a shame this isn't conveyed ingame.

Oppo

Very impressive. I will be picking this up.

I love the KZ industrial design. Makes up for the characters ;)

whitehawk

Banned
That framerate

ibrLhcOZUBRNJI.gif

Those vantages

i7kKqwjU99C2e.gif

Mr Swine

Banned
Looks great, but no where close to PS3 graphics. This game has lower resolution textures, lower polygon count, much worse explosion effects/particles and some stuff looks really bad (the lightning the cannon shoots ugh). Not only that, the frame rate looks to be lower when there is more than one enemy on screen

But it's the best handheld graphics by far on vita.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Loving that Blade Runner-esque cityscape shot. Wow, this has me really hyped. Despite the terrible name of this franchise :p

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
This looks absolutely tits. Could not be more psyched. Lovin the fact that I finally bit and picked up the vita. This along with the Muramasa blade news has me fucking hyped.

dat dickstab.

Love the idea of this too.. mercenary style... Wouldn't mind plugging a few of those ISA ascot wearing assholes.

Skyzard

Banned

You know I'm suspicious something is up too. Either that was a PS3 engine or they've done amazing work..and maybe the trailer is deceptive with the faster fps too.

Btw does anyone else think that touchscreen moves are a good idea for melee specifically in an fps. I used to love knifing in CS but since CoD randomly gives players swords instead of knives I've lost interest and would prefer a bit more risk to just insta-kills. Not sure how they'd work in multiplayer since it seems to slow things down...maybe sp only...or maybe just stealth kills? Not sure.

I'm basically new to killzone (Mercenaries to be my first purchase, and also first vita fps, finally) but there was also a part in the trailer that showed like video feed from a uav or something, did that look familiar? Is it like the one in CoD? Don't mind, just curious, looked quite cool but was only a brief clip.

I just hope the framerate is rock solid on launch - as with all titles I'm interested in :p

Btw these gifs are killing my laptop :p

Looks great, but no where close to PS3 graphics. This game has lower resolution textures, lower polygon count, much worse explosion effects/particles and some stuff looks really bad (the lightning the cannon shoots ugh). Not only that, the frame rate looks to be lower when there is more than one enemy on screen

But it's the best handheld graphics by far on vita.

I'm pretty sure whenever anyone saying 'ps3 level graphic' for vita games, they meant it in relative term, obviously vita is not going to have the power to render ps3model and texture unless the game is limited in scope.

Musiol

Cross posting this from Killzone trailer:

So, I'll just drop it here:

• Full fledged single player campaing
  • We will visit places known previously from other games. GG will show us known mission from different perspective, eg. - operation Archangel from Killzone 2
  • Main character is Aaron Danner - mercenary working for fame and money. He's a member of colonial army and he'll be working both of ISA and Helgen. Who pays more - gonna get the job done. And yes, first time in the series we won't play as an ISA.
  • We will be rewarded with cash for completing the mission. We could spend this on a black market for buying new weapons, guns, gadgets (drones, energy shield, invicibility). It's expensive and short working - but rewarding and helpful.
  • Vanguard is the new system. You can see it on the left arm of Aaron. You can quick access shops and use special weapons touching it.
  • For multiplayer - 8 players, 3 modes (Warzone, Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch). Money earned from single player and guns are unlocked in multiplayer too.
  • There's a whole Contract system (just like in Hitman: Absolution). After finishing a mission, you can activate a contract and earn additional money.
  • As I wrote earlier - graphically is astonishig, best looking game on PSVita.
  • Touch controls (stealh kills, zooming with sniper rifle [it's optional, though], "waggle gimmicks" for aiming, but it's all well implemented and it isn't feel like they added it just to add anything.
  • September 2013.

source: http://www.ps3site.pl/killzone-najemnik-bedzie-najladniejsza-gra-na-playstation-vita/140923

Some screens (more at source link):

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_01.jpg

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_03.jpg

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_07.jpg

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_10.jpg

Dueck

Banned
I just want to kill the ISA. I hope you can side with one or the other if you want. Those jerks are the real bad guys.

Elios83

We know it won't look that good on Vita, it will be lower res and blurry.

Do you even play on handhelds?
It's the opposite, even things that ARE low res and blurry natively look really good on small dedicated screens.
In this case it will look pretty much amazing and much better than the trailer which already looks a great aproximation of the PS3 titles which are among the best looking home console titles.

Skyzard

Banned
Yep, most games and even screenshots look better on Vita, probably OLED and denser pixels then most screens I think since screenshots seem larger than they are on vita, which makes them look slightly better (since smaller. :p).

Cross posting this from Killzone trailer:

So, I'll just drop it here:

• Full fledged single player campaing
  • We will visit places known previously from other games. GG will show us known mission from different perspective, eg. - operation Archangel from Killzone 2
  • Main character is Aaron Danner - mercenary working for fame and money. He's a member of colonial army and he'll be working both of ISA and Helgen. Who pays more - gonna get the job done. And yes, first time in the series we won't play as an ISA.
  • We will be rewarded with cash for completing the mission. We could spend this on a black market for buying new weapons, guns, gadgets (drones, energy shield, invicibility). It's expensive and short working - but rewarding and helpful.
  • Vanguard is the new system. You can see it on the left arm of Aaron. You can quick access shops and use special weapons touching it.
  • For multiplayer - 8 players, 3 modes (Warzone, Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch). Money earned from single player and guns are unlocked in multiplayer too.
  • There's a whole Contract system (just like in Hitman: Absolution). After finishing a mission, you can activate a contract and earn additional money.
  • As I wrote earlier - graphically is astonishig, best looking game on PSVita.
  • Touch controls (stealh kills, zooming with sniper rifle [it's optional, though], "waggle gimmicks" for aiming, but it's all well implemented and it isn't feel like they added it just to add anything.
  • September 2013.

source: http://www.ps3site.pl/killzone-najemnik-bedzie-najladniejsza-gra-na-playstation-vita/140923

Some screens (more at source link):

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_01.jpg

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_03.jpg

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_07.jpg

kzm_ss_2013-01-31_killzonemercenary_10.jpg

Great shots...! Any word on fps?

edit: from vg247:

Graphics-wise it’s pretty, and unmistakably “Killzone”. There’s obviously not complete parity with the PS3 version and the framerate’s noticeably lower, but there’s no question it’s a good-looking game. It’s worth bearing in mind that Mercenary isn’t out till September, so there’s plenty of time for optimisation.

Hmm, hopefully improves. Was KZ3's fps great?

Dawg

We know it won't look that good on Vita, it will be lower res and blurry.

You do realise it's exactly the opposite as the trailer is bigger than the Vita's screen, hence the footage is being "stretched"? It will look even better on the smaller OLED screen.

Replayability is a focus. Every single-player level has three difficulty settings (Recruit, Veteran and Elite) and four contract types, three of which (Precision, Covert and Demolition) are unlocked when you complete a Basic run-through. All require different tactics and afford different awards. Assuming it’s as good as it should be, you could be playing Mercenary for a long time.

now this is awesome, just like Killzone 1 where you have multiple playable character that offer something a little bit different. they better make it in for Killzone 4 for ps4.

Oppo

I like the Helghast wearing riot helmets over their... helmets

It's like they are never-nudes but just regarding the face

It's too bad more people didn't play the isometric 3rd person Killzone Liberation, was a cool idea

Top Bottom