• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New King of Fighters Confirmed in Development

TreIII

They brought back Mature and Vice as GHOSTS, they probably give minimal amounts of fucks at this point.

Likely so. But again, I'd like to think that KOFXIII's ending pretty much gave them the ultimate handwave so that such things like the Orochi crew being back alive and even Rock Howard being his "MOTW" age are all feasible possibilities now.

I mean, the last time we saw Rock in KOF (01/02), he was still a little kid. To think, if KOFs were still going by years... :lol

TIZOOOOC!!!

Yes pls.

Loved using this guy in 2003 and XI.

Bardiche

So it looks like they'll be going with 3D models rather than 2D sprites, I'm just glad to be seeing a new King of Fighters in development.
Since there are dream matches between arcs, I'm hoping to see the return of Mature and Vice in this one maybe we might see Yashiro, Shermie and Chris.

Chizuru, Yamazaki, and Heidern definitely need to make a return though.

It looks like its going to take some time but im ok with that if the game its fun and balanced enough to have long legs like KOF XIII

I just hope they use 2.5D and port it faster to consoles.

Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPVq4FESV5s

Looks like 2D but its actually 3D (i heard that SNK helped in the development, but i could be wrong)

Het_Nkik

I really enjoyed XIII, much bigger improvement over XII. I hope they expand on what XIII brought to the table, and either keep it 2D or have the 3D very anime-esque like how Guilty Gear Xrd is doing it.

The shading on KOF sprites is so much more detailed than Guilty Gear sprites, I don't know if they'd work as well in a transition to the Xrd style.

EoV6Lve.gif
x8NrIJ4.gif

KOF has never looked very "anime" imo, though XIII's style does come the closest kind of.

Village

I really enjoyed XIII, much bigger improvement over XII. I hope they expand on what XIII brought to the table, and either keep it 2D or have the 3D very anime-esque like how Guilty Gear Xrd is doing it.

Eh... What do you mean anime-esque.

Animu's are just animations of some Japanese dudes art style, so technically speaking... most japanese made games are anime-esque.

You mean cell shaded? Then sure I guess.

Sesha

Here's hoping they include Yamazaki and Geese this time around.

And someone from Garou, but I'm just deluding myself at that point.

TreIII

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!

I always liked how Tizoc isn't afraid to let me know that he "sleeps with two whores" throughout a match.

Here's hoping they include Yamazaki and Geese this time around.

And someone from Garou, but I'm just deluding myself at that point.

They might as well. The possibilities of a MOTW2 must be infinitesimally low at this point. The least they could do is just continue the story through KOF, albeit in a universe where Geese is still alive, and Ryo and crew are still at their AOF ages.

Loona

They might as well. The possibilities of a MOTW2 must be infinitesimally low at this point. The least they could do is just continue the story through KOF, albeit in a universe where Geese is still alive, and Ryo and crew are still at their AOF ages.

Frankly, I'd rather have older Ryo from FFWA, Robert as an older guy worked out fine in NGBC, and an older Yuri wouldn't be as annoying, I hope.
Takuma has already established quite eloquently, especially as Mr Karate, how fearsome he really is, if an age-up would be too problematic to keep him around - which it's not, in a setting shared with Chin, Tung, Jubei and Lee Pai Long.

Kikujiro

This.
He was so fun in KoF 97.
And Geese. And Saisyu.

Also, get rid of that obnoxious Ash and his (ex) team.

I still can't believe that Ash was the new KOF protagonist. They went from Kyo and K' to Ash, what were they thinking?

Orayn

Vanessa or riot.

also pls be Xrd style ;_;

They already "rotoscope" their sprites using fully animated 3D models, right? I can imagine the jump to Xrd-style 2.5D wouldn't be too difficult if they developed a decent workflow for the new 3D art.

Krammy

Like a few others, I thought this was confirmed last year? I also remember hearing that it was going to be 3D instead of 2D back then as well. I was absolutely livid that they were transitioning a mainline King of Fighters from 2D to 3D.

SNK should stick with what they're good at, dot art. I can understand though that it's not a viable option as they're hurting for money (once again).

Skilletor

Like a few others, I thought this was confirmed last year? I also remember hearing that it was going to be 3D instead of 2D back then as well. I was absolutely livid that they were transitioning a mainline King of Fighters from 2D to 3D.

SNK should stick with what they're good at, dot art. I can understand though that it's not a viable option as they're hurting for money (once again).

I'd rather they go 3D, so long as the gameplay is in tact, than wait 3-4 years between sequels and updates. Graphics are something I'll admire for 5 minutes. Gameplay will keep me around for years. I'll happily sacrfice sprites for polygons if it means more characters, more updates, and more timely sequels.

impact

Banned
Don't fuck up the netcode again. SNK has been moved to the wait and see list because of their awful efforts @ netplay.

It's gonna be sick whatever it is, just hope they give me a reason to buy it. I wouldn't mind KoF13UM tbh

Angelcurio

As much as i love 2D sprite based KOF, i really think that going 3D with 2D gameplay like GG Xrd or SFIV would be better in the long term for them, since it would be easier to work with using both 3D character models and being able to license (or make) a new 3D engine.

Sayad

The shading on KOF sprites is so much more detailed than Guilty Gear sprites, I don't know if they'd work as well in a transition to the Xrd style.

EoV6Lve.gif
x8NrIJ4.gif

KOF has never looked very "anime" imo, though XIII's style does come the closest kind of.
They can use the same techniques ASW used to make GGXrd look 2D while still using something similar to KoF's shading. ie, what make Xrd look like a 2D game isn't just the cell shading, there's long list of things that has nothing to do with cell shading(like tempering with perspective, hand placed lighting sources on character to make sure the anime like shadowing is perfect and keyframe animation with no continues movement between keyframes, to name some).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
More and more gets confirmed every few days on this, huh? I'm probably less psyched about a new KoF itself now (Just because its so obviously coming) than I am about the fact SNKP is just... MOVING with something so constantly. Which is saying a lot, because KoF XIII was probably the most Hype I got over any game last gen.

As much as people keep desiring Xrd's style... I'm not entirely sold on the idea, really. At this point. does dumping the characters made for XII and XIII to make 3D models with intense 2D trickery really equal "less" work than adding 10 characters onto XIII's cast + new animations? Or does all the model work from XIII's "rotoscope" method mean they technically have the entire cast of the game + their animations in 3D already, just awaiting some Xuan Dou Zhi Wang-style frame creation?

I guess I just really wanna see this thing in motion, already. If going the Xrd style method can bring us things like unique rival & friend intros, loads of victory poses, constant roster updates, use of an even wider variety of Neo Geo characters, and more dynamic additional content into the game, I'd be all for it. Hopefully, we just have a bit longer to wait... *TwitchTwith*

"Watching Xuan Dou Zhi Wang in HD shows how bad their animation is, it's basically the same way vanillaware does animation:"

It's not the same way Vanillware does animation at all, they are completely different. Xuan Dou Zhi Wang is pre-rendering 3d model animations for their sprites, Vanillaware characters are a bunch of separate hand drawn 2d elements on top of each other that are rotated, transformed, stretched, swapped, etc. Almost like a paper doll.

Saying they're the same would also be saying that ArcSys is doing animation the same way as Vanillaware. They don't even look similar.

Het_Nkik

"Watching Xuan Dou Zhi Wang in HD shows how bad their animation is, it's basically the same way vanillaware does animation:"

It's not the same way Vanillware does animation at all, they are completely different. Xuan Dou Zhi Wang is pre-rendering 3d model animations for their sprites, Vanillaware characters are a bunch of separate hand drawn 2d elements on top of each other that are rotated, transformed, stretched, swapped, etc. Almost like a paper doll.

Saying they're the same would also be saying that ArcSys is doing animation the same way as Vanillaware. They don't even look similar.
I see what he's getting at, though. There are these... slightly unnatural looking movements in some of the animation. Not all of the animation, mind. But my brain doesn't like it.

Top Bottom