• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New King of Fighters Confirmed in Development

here's the thing, SNK were the masters of sprites. 3D? Not so much. Really, though, I can't say for sure if a 3D background in any fighting game has ever grabbed me like an old SNK background.

ElTopo

Banned
Will probably look like SF4 and the latest JoJo so that gets a pretty "meh" reaction from me. If it looked like XRD then sure, get hype. But it won't.

It better play like 98,not have long combos, and the characters better have all of their trademark moves this time.

Nikokuno

Will probably look like SF4 and the latest JoJo so that gets a pretty "meh" reaction from me. If it looked like XRD then sure, get hype. But it won't.

It better play like 98,not have long combos, and the characters better have all of their trademark moves this time.

JoJo NKNB All Star looks way better than SFIV, CC2 show some much respects to Araki's style!

This is pretty good news, their last entry was really well done. I hope this one can be even better, would be cool if it was a dream match. Throw everyone in there that you can!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They can't put K9999 anymore because of legal reasons right? I heard that's why they made a new design.

Speaking of which I kinda miss Shinkiro art of SNK, especially the old "Clooney-face" era.

here's the thing, SNK were the masters of sprites. 3D? Not so much. Really, though, I can't say for sure if a 3D background in any fighting game has ever grabbed me like an old SNK background.

dat falcoone

Loona

But would they dare age Mai up to somewhere in her *GASP* mid-30s?

I'd welcome a Mai-less KoF (XI pulled it off nicely before the home versions), but after the XII "no Mai no buy" debacle, it's just not an option.
Thanks to the story's recent time shennanigans they can pull off a Tekken 3 Nina and age other character while she stays the same...

samurai shodown's turn!

Why is Rimururu on that page? Is that a new render of her?

A year ago, when they announced they were hiring, both KoF and SS were mentioned as projects - apparently there's already some work put into SS.

What about Yuki and Miss X?

Miss X DLC outfit for Iori would be the best possible kind of DLC.

I'd be down with Yuki being in. But I'd also like to see Kisarah too. Battle of the school bags?

Kisarah's more of an ADK character, and those don't tend to make it to KoF (although they were in the KoF2002UM backgrounds). Maybe if there's ever a NGBC2.

Yuki was a bit of fun in Gal Fighters, but things like the giant NO and the Kyo clones super are probably a bit too silly for KoF.

I'm sure that we will see the first trailer at AOU.

I wonder if SNKP will try to get XIII for one last year at evo to promote XIV

I got the impression they barely put effort in EVO for this year... and I don't think they can afford the kind of persuasion that got Injustice and TTT2 there this past couple of years. Still, maybe there'll be something more solid to present in a few months that'll help keep their games in the EVO radar?

Please let this one have some SamSho characters in it.

Unlikely, but then again, time shennanigans in the plot, and there were a few in XIII's backgrounds.

SNK.

You have one mission.

And one mission only.

Psycho Soldier Kensou must be the base costume.

It's what he's been using since XII... and if the game's in 3D, it'll probably be an option.

If he indeed ends up becoming the new KoF's protagonist, I'm expecting a new outfit for him though - between KoF protagonist traditions (both in central character and Kyo's outfits), and association with Athena, it's almost inevitable.

They can't put K9999 anymore because of legal reasons right? I heard that's why they made a new design.

They're essentially playing it safe - especially now with XIII's time shennanigans, there was probably never a K9999, who's in a much deeper limbo than Ash.

THey fucked up badly when they started adding spectators to the stages.

nah, prime SNK made it look good.

vyf4HMz.gif

A big reason why I want them to stay 2D is because SNK is the last of the big 3 that have not completely switched to 3D yet. Capcom has been 3D models since Street Fighter IV, Arc has Guilty Gear going 3D and I doubt they'll bring sprites back. SNK was the last holdout.

Skilletor

SNK's previous 3D attempts have been hideous. I'm not sure how to feel.

Yeah, but they were 3D attempts akin to SFEX. They weren't trying to replace mainline KoF with their 3D games as I assume this one would.

After so many great 2.5D games, I'm not worried too much about this.

Shredderi

A big reason why I want them to stay 2D is because SNK is the last of the big 3 that have not completely switched to 3D yet. Capcom has been 3D models since Street Fighter IV, Arc has Guilty Gear going 3D and I doubt they'll bring sprites back. SNK was the last holdout.

Fully agreed. I love KoF sprites. So detailed with their shading and animations. I understand that it's expensive and they may need to modernize their methods but would be really cool to see them make really great quality, true 2d sprite based game for the new generation. If they do decide to go 3d, I hope they'll take the road paved by guilty gear xrd.

It sucks to see that this is gonna be 3d but I can see it being awesome if done in Xrd style. The rendering style brings out a lot of character in the fighters and I can see it working well for KoF characters. From a gameplay standpoint, 2d is the best as it feels more precise and just looks better when youre playing.

Also I'm not too much of a fan of the current KoF style. Everyone seems too bulky or odd in some way. I'd rather they go back to the more conservative designs they used to make.

BadWolf

I was half expecting the new KOF to look exactly like XDZW, but honesty while clean, the style seems rather simplistic to me; just 98 translated into 2.5D modeling. Hopefully SNKP can afford something more unique and/or dynamic to make it stand out and apart.

Yeah, I expect them to make use of the 3D and make it more dynamic/fancy with different camera angles for moves etc.

Even in XIII, which was 2D, they went the extra mile and made things like alternate color schemes, giving Takuma a mask variation, Yuri with and without a pony tail, 3 variations of Kyo (with even the classic look where they had to draw in the arms since the sleeves are short), the list goes on and on. And the backgrounds were gorgeous with a lot of unique animation (especially that jungle stage, pretty much every native animates in a unique way). There was just so much love put into the game even though they were hurting for time and money.

With 3D I expect them to take this to another level with more extravagant animation/neomaxes, intros between characters, alternate costumes (I'm looking at you Terry) etc. This is the main reason I wouldn't mind the move to 3D since it would allow them to do a lot more.

TreIII

Yeah, but they were 3D attempts akin to SFEX. They weren't trying to replace mainline KoF with their 3D games as I assume this one would.

I can understand the hesitation, though. There's also plans for them to bring back Samurai Spirits; as a SS fan, SEN/Edge of Destiny "cut" me deeply...and not at all in the ways I'd like! :lol

I'm all for giving SNKP another chance, so long as the gameplay is actually up to snuff this time. I just want them to find a model that could stand to really sustain them for the next generation and beyond. It's been a struggle ever since they've had to leave behind those MVS-era sprites.

Skilletor

I can understand the hesitation, though. There's also plans for them to bring back Samurai Spirits; as a SS fan, SEN/Edge of Destiny "cut" me deeply...and not at all in the ways I'd like! :lol

I'm all for giving SNKP another chance, so long as the gameplay is actually up to snuff this time. I just want them to find a model that could stand to really sustain them for the next generation and beyond. It's been a struggle ever since they've had to leave behind those MVS-era sprites.

Definitely. I'm definitely a bit wary, but after KoF12, I don't think they're going to damage the brand any further.

Gameplay is definitely the most important thing. 2.5D games don't feel as crisp as sprites, for the most part. Everything feels a bit heavy for some reason. I'd hate to lose that after KoF13.

Zubz

Banned
Nope,

GeeseCrop.jpg

This in 3D with godly model and light please, 2D gameplay of course.

tumblr_mpoa0i1ZVG1rfc4jxo1_400.gif

main.jpg

I'm guessing that it'll look like the recent Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown pachislot games. Some of the characters like Terry and Haohmaru could use some improvement though...

tumblr_mpoa0i1ZVG1rfc4jxo2_400.gif

Regardless of how weird-anime-CGI the game may or may not be (SNK can really work wonders, and the Pachislot games weren't meant to be actual games, so I doubt a new KoF'd use their art style), the game's gonna knock it out the park. It's SNK; I love those guys. I let them down by waiting on XIII. Never again.
Too bad the only fighting game my friends play anymore is Smash Bros., barring one who also likes NRS fighters and nothing more.

Uraizen

Banned

Yes, hopefully they've been inspired by a certain other game.

TOOO HYPE!!!!

Would love MoTW 2 more or Last Blade 3 tbh but KOF is good until they get around to Garou 2/LB3

A man can dream ;(

EDIT: Also are people really speculating "3d" to mean 3D plane fighter because I find that highly unlikely. I'd say more SF4 3d models rather than Tekken or SC or even Maximum Impact titles....

I hope it stays 2d based at-least, I'm fine with model changes if they look good (I have faith in there artists but idk SNKP has had hardtimes for awhile now it seems :(

I expected no Wii U but considering I have 94-98 and soon 99 on it would have been nice as it's my local multiplayer system, I have 13 on PS3 anyways.

It's smart they're going 3D as it saves a ton of money but the reason I liked KOF so much was it's sprites and animation so the new entry is pretty low on my personal want-list.

iori9999

Banned
I'm just glad there is a new SNK fighter being released!! Was really worried about the company. Of course I'm skeptical about a 3d KoF, as the MI series wasn't that great and the Samurai Showdown game on the 360 was complete trash.. Hopefully this is a legit good fighting game..

3d KOF? Hmmm i don't know how to feel. If it plays like 98, I have no qualms. If it plays like Max Impact, I'm out. Though I wonder if they could keep the dream cancels, but get rid of the HD mode. I hate how a light hit can combo into a 80% damage combo with HD meter. But I'm fine with Dream Cancels which add a strategic element, but don't outright kill you.

definitely want more of a '98 feel, fix the hitboxes so more characters have a chance on the ground in neutral, make the game less reversal friendly or at least curb the reward, increase the damage substantially but specifically for normals. I wouldn't mind if they kept HD (with some changes), but I would prefer if they just made it a simple double drive system. Anything to get combo length to a minimum yet have some room for creativity because I will admit, XIII is probably my favorite lab game. Else, I think it would be cool if we could once again use meter to keep/change up string pressure like with the Attack Cancel Roll.

Korigama

Hey SNK, don't listen to this guy I quoted. Thanks.
Seconding this. Kula and K' stay right where they are, SNKP. Wouldn't miss Mr. Karate one bit, though.

Hm, kind of hoping they go for a dream match for now instead of jumping into a new story arc after how sloppily-handled the Ash saga was (introducing of Garou cast members and Terry's MotW look only to remove all traces of that game by the time they got to XII, introducing mysterious characters like Malin with the implication of her being important and then going nowhere with it, completely dropping the plotline concerning the attack on Takuma's dojo, etc.).

Ouch this is in 3D... no longer interested.
That's how I felt when I heard guilty gear was going 3d, then I saw Xrd... if arc can do 3d that good surely snkp can do just as good if not better. All of arcs previous attempts at 3d were ugly as sin remember.

Seconding this. Kula and K' stay right where they are, SNKP. Wouldn't miss Mr. Karate one bit, though.

Hm, kind of hoping they go for a dream match for now instead of jumping into a new story arc after how sloppily-handled the Ash saga was (introducing of Garou cast members and Terry's MotW look only to remove all traces of that game by the time they got to XII, introducing mysterious characters like Malin with the implication of her being important and then going nowhere with it, completely dropping the plotline concerning the attack on Takuma's dojo, etc.).

The rumor about a 50+ character roster makes me think it will be a dream match, if that rumor is still valid. Hopefully it's consistent with the rest of the franchise to be a XIV and including everyone from 03-XIII.

Top Bottom