• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New King of Fighters Confirmed in Development

Chev

The shading on KOF sprites is so much more detailed than Guilty Gear sprites, I don't know if they'd work as well in a transition to the Xrd style.
Doesn't have to. Xrd strived to emulate anime two-tone shading, but it'd be just as possible to emulate KoF13's style instead.

TreIII

Frankly, I'd rather have older Ryo from FFWA, Robert as an older guy worked out fine in NGBC, and an older Yuri wouldn't be as annoying, I hope.
Takuma has already established quite eloquently, especially as Mr Karate, how fearsome he really is, if an age-up would be too problematic to keep him around - which it's not, in a setting shared with Chin, Tung, Jubei and Lee Pai Long.

Well, if that be the case, the only way I could see that working is if EVERYBODY got aged up at least somewhat. I mean, after so many years of having Ryo and Terry be the same ages in the KOF-continuity, it'd be a bit weird to finally have the AOF crew age, but nobody else did. Especially if Rock was right there, hahaha.

But again, I guess the main thing is seeing if SNKP really will take up the opportunity to change some things in order to make for the best roster possible. Rugal vs. Adelheid still needs to happen, at least in a Dream Match.

Loona

Well, if that be the case, the only way I could see that working is if EVERYBODY got aged up at least somewhat. I mean, after so many years of having Ryo and Terry be the same ages in the KOF-continuity, it'd be a bit weird to finally have the AOF crew age, but nobody else did. Especially if Rock was right there, hahaha.

Let Terry age to, keep him in his superior Garou look!
FF and AoF are the ancient veterans, might as well have both look the part.

Sayad

"Watching Xuan Dou Zhi Wang in HD shows how bad their animation is, it's basically the same way vanillaware does animation:"

It's not the same way Vanillware does animation at all, they are completely different. Xuan Dou Zhi Wang is pre-rendering 3d model animations for their sprites, Vanillaware characters are a bunch of separate hand drawn 2d elements on top of each other that are rotated, transformed, stretched, swapped, etc. Almost like a paper doll.

Saying they're the same would also be saying that ArcSys is doing animation the same way as Vanillaware. They don't even look similar.
I was strictly talking about the animation, not art style(CG vs hand drawn) just the way they animate. Still, on a second look, you're right about the way they did the animation. Though it was so badly done that at first I thought they were using CG base art turned into sprites and then animating it mostly through tweening Vanillaware style.

:D

*starts making lists*

The following characters must be present:

• Smart Chang
  • Karman
  • Rody
  • Laurence Blood
  • Max Eagle
  • King Lion
  • Duke Edwards
  • Reiji
  • Souji
  • Brian Battler
  • Yashiro
  • Original Zero
  • Tizoc
  • Gai
  • Clark
  • Takuma
  • Heidern
  • Shen Woo
  • Maxima
  • Kula
  • Foxy
  • Mature
  • Hinako
  • Shermie
  • Hotaru
  • Candy
This is non-negotiable. Make it work.

Nikokuno

"Watching Xuan Dou Zhi Wang in HD shows how bad their animation is, it's basically the same way vanillaware does animation:"

It's not the same way Vanillware does animation at all, they are completely different. Xuan Dou Zhi Wang is pre-rendering 3d model animations for their sprites, Vanillaware characters are a bunch of separate hand drawn 2d elements on top of each other that are rotated, transformed, stretched, swapped, etc. Almost like a paper doll.

Saying they're the same would also be saying that ArcSys is doing animation the same way as Vanillaware. They don't even look similar.

This. Btw Vanillaware animations are pretty good, it's their own way, they like to make it feel like this, Vanillaware is love.

Talking about 'Next KOF' I happy like I was for XIII but the netcode was bad really bad, and don't like the metagame 2 bars/HD mode, feel weirdly heavy combo-ish...
I prefer a 'Garou' cause the MOTW cast was awesome, gameplay was simple but deep enough, and Rock is just the K' of the cast so simply badass.

I hope this 3D KOF will erase my deception with what Capcom do with the chara design of SFIV ... Never ever ...

TreIII

Let Terry age to, keep him in his superior Garou look!
FF and AoF are the ancient veterans, might as well have both look the part.

But would they dare age Mai up to somewhere in her *GASP* mid-30s?

Seriously, I'd be all for it. I mean, we at least have an older Mary design from "Memories of Stray Wolves", as it is. But I'd be surprised if it ever appeared in a game. Most fighting game devs seem to still have a phobia when it comes to "mature" ladies. And SNKP can't even keep poor Vanessa on the roster...

impact

Banned

*starts making lists*

• Smart Chang
  • Karman
  • Rody
  • Laurence Blood
  • Max Eagle
  • King Lion
  • Duke Edwards
  • Reiji
  • Souji
  • Brian Battler
  • Yashiro
  • Original Zero
  • Tizoc
  • Gai
  • Clark
  • Takuma
  • Heidern
  • Shen Woo
  • Maxima
  • Kula
  • Foxy
  • Mature
  • Hinako
  • Shermie
  • Hotaru
  • Candy

Whip never gets any love.

*starts making lists*

• Smart Chang
  • Karman
  • Rody
  • Laurence Blood
  • Max Eagle
  • King Lion
  • Duke Edwards
  • Reiji
  • Souji
  • Brian Battler
  • Yashiro
  • Original Zero
  • Tizoc
  • Gai
  • Clark
  • Takuma
  • Heidern
  • Shen Woo
  • Maxima
  • Kula
  • Foxy
  • Mature
  • Hinako
  • Shermie
  • Hotaru
  • Candy

No Whip ? No Vanessa ? No Blue Mary ? Yamazaki ??? I guess you forgot some names

BasilZero

Oh yeeeees :D. I love me some King of Fighters!

Hopefully it will be more multiplatform friendly (i.e. releases on PC along with consoles).

shaowebb

*starts making lists*

• Smart Chang
  • Karman
  • Rody
  • Laurence Blood
  • Max Eagle
  • King Lion
  • Duke Edwards
  • Reiji
  • Souji
  • Brian Battler
  • Yashiro
  • Original Zero
  • Tizoc
  • Gai
  • Clark
  • Takuma
  • Heidern
  • Shen Woo
  • Maxima
  • Kula
  • Foxy
  • Mature
  • Hinako
  • Shermie
  • Hotaru
  • Candy

Needs Whip, Blue Mary, Lee Pai Long, Chris ( shermie and Yashiro but no Chris!?), Oswald, and a lot more...

...thats what I love about SNK though. You could make a list with over 70 characters and STILL have a ton of greats waiting in the wings. <3

Here's hoping the SNK longtime internal favorite finally makes it in. They've had a massive amount of love in their studio for the Staff using Tae Kwon Do fighter Kim Sue ILfor a LOOOOONG time now according to reports dating back all the way to before the DS era. Be cool to see him finally make the cut as he's spent over a decade losing to other cast in KoF roster finalizations.

Needs Whip, Blue Mary, Lee Pai Long, Chris ( shermie and Yashiro but no Chris!?), Oswald, and a lot more...

...thats what I love about SNK though. You could make a list with over 70 characters and STILL have a ton of greats waiting in the wings. <3
Chris was definitely omitted on purpose. Not a fan. Whip and Oswald are alright. I was never a fan of Blue Mary, and I don't have much experience with Lee Pai Long.

But your comment about lists is true. KoF probably has the largest amount of eligible characters of any fighting game, so the possibilities are endless.

shaowebb

Chris was definitely omitted on purpose. Not a fan. Whip and Oswald are alright. I was never a fan of Blue Mary, and I don't have much experience with Lee Pai Long.

But your comment about lists is true. KoF probably has the largest amount of eligible characters of any fighting game, so the possibilities are endless.

He brought the Biebage before that pop dude stole his gimmick ;)

Seriously though Chris had the dopest looking standing animation and Orochi Chris or regular either one had some amazing combo potential.

Peep the technique and stand in awe at his amazing theme song MAD FANTASY!

shaowebb

Angel plz.

The People's Elbow needs to happen at EVO.

I'm dying to see this now.

myiJjb2.gif

What about Yuki and Miss X?
I'd be down with Yuki being in. But I'd also like to see Kisarah too. Battle of the school bags?

Miss X would be a funny alt, but I've just started warming up to regular Iori again. I was not a fan of him during my first experiences with the series, but ever since his KOF XII/XIII redesign, I've been diggin' him a bit. I also love Mature sooooooooooo much, so it would be funny to see how she reacts to Iori in drag.

Think Xrd has convinced me than 3D can easily rivel if not be better than 2D.
Hmm, I prefer sprites but that's just me.

They can use the same techniques ASW used to make GGXrd look 2D while still using something similar to KoF's shading. ie, what make Xrd look like a 2D game isn't just the cell shading, there's long list of things that has nothing to do with cell shading(like tempering with perspective, hand placed lighting sources on character to make sure the anime like shadowing is perfect and keyframe animation with no continues movement between keyframes, to name some).

Yep. It has little to do with cellshading and more to do with their techniques. Arc is on record saying that doing Xrd 3D isn't really that much easier than doing sprite based 2D.

Pretty excited for this.

Kinda off-topic but does anyone know how Arc Systems is able to make their games play incredible online? I remember playing BlazeBlue online when it first launched it was pretty much perfect.

please remove: kula, k, billy kane, mr karate, shen woo, duolon
better not remove for bullshit story reasons: ash fucking crimson
bring back malin too

Laconic

Banned
Pretty excited for this.

Kinda off-topic but does anyone know how Arc Systems is able to make their games play incredible online? I remember playing BlazeBlue online when it first launched it was pretty much perfect.

I'm pretty sure that has something to do with input time buffering. But I could be wrong.

Great news! Looking forward to news of it and the new SamSho.

I just hope it doesn't completely devolve into "no ________, no buy" in terms of sales. Too many good characters in the series and SNK universe to set aside one game for just one character.

I'm worried they'll change the system again. Also, hopefully people complaining about KOF being too hard aren't taken into account.

Definitely with you on not making the game too easy for those that don't want to put anytime into learning it. One of the circulating rumors is that they'd go back to a '98 style; if that's not easy enough for some people, at least up to an intermediate playing level, all they could do is make an EO mode.

I don't mind the system being changed up too often; as probably a predecessor to '03-XIII, I imagine they'll try to get the tag system back in, but I mainly want as balanced a game as possible with 50 characters included. Just let arcade users beta test like they did with XIII, and give us good balanced game for consoles and PC.

People keep talking about Xrd but I think Xuan Dou Zhi Wang did 2.5D really well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YARqFfmdhSQ

I was half expecting the new KOF to look exactly like XDZW, but honesty while clean, the style seems rather simplistic to me; just 98 translated into 2.5D modeling. Hopefully SNKP can afford something more unique and/or dynamic to make it stand out and apart.

sibarraz

Banned
I'm sure that we will see the first trailer at AOU.

I wonder if SNKP will try to get XIII for one last year at evo to promote XIV

I kinda hope they'll use the same technique with KoF XIV that ArcSys used with GG Xrd. It would probably cut development time in half while still looking awesome.

Great news. I'll take Maximum Impact 3 or a 2D or 2.5D KOF14 game. Just give it to me. I want some next generation fighters.

Maximum Impact was actually a good game, but it just had some jankiness and needed more polish. I still loved all of them though.

ZenTzen

a new KOF is all well and good but

wheres GAROU 2, wheres LAST BLADE 3, a new SAMSHO

is this all we have to look forward out of SNK now, just KOF???

sibarraz

Banned
a new KOF is all well and good but

wheres GAROU 2, wheres LAST BLADE 3, a new SAMSHO

is this all we have to look forward out of SNK now, just KOF???

Garou and Last Blade will be very hard since those games weren't hits, I had heard people saying that even those bombed. I think that SNK needs to had a better position in the market in order to use older franchises, XIII was a big step to achieve that, if XIV does well, they will recover their old reputation imo

KingJ2002

Great news... looking forward to the transition.

Hopefully... like previously said... they look to 3D cel shaded models on a 2D plane to stay true to the series. SNKP trying to do HD2D sprites at 1080p is not needed and i hope they realize that as well.

I need for SNKP to release the following this gen:

- New KOF
- New Metal Slug
- New Samurai Showdown
- Ikari Warriors
- Psycho Soldier
- Fatal Fury
- New FUCKING FRANCHISES

i mean... 20 years and all they did was regurgitate KOF & MS games.... it's time for something new that doesn't involve KOF in the title.

Top Bottom