• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kingdom Hearts III Olympus Gameplay Screenshot

Pagusas

Elden Member
I really want to get into this, but the story of the series just seems so out of reach now for anyone trying to get into it. Did someone in here say this is the 10TH game?!?

I really want to get into this, but the story of the series just seems so out of reach now for anyone trying to get into it. Did someone in here say this is the 10TH game?!?

If you have a PS4, just pickup the 1.5+2.5 package in March. That's basically every game in the series that matters (KH1, KH2, Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep) all in one package. The only other game that really matters, Dream Drop Distance, you can play in 2.8 HD which came out last month.

sappyday

Not ten games but there are

1. Kh1
2. Kh chain of memories
3. Kh2
4. Kh 358/2 Days
5. Kh BBS
6. Kh re:coded
7. Kh DDD
8. Kh x/back cover
9. Kh 0.2

Well shit that's almost 10 games actually. I honestly thought it was closer to 7 before typing this.

Famassu

Im going to echo what others have said, i can hardly get excited over something i wont be able to play for another two years if were lucky. Squares development schedule is fucked. There is no reason this or 7r should have been announced when they were
This is such a dumb argument to make. We already knew Kingdom Hearts III was in development long before it was announced, or at least could make the educated guess that Osaka Team had moved on to Kingdom Hearts III after DDD based on everything Nomura & Yasue were saying about Osaka Team's next project around Fall 2012 & even before DDD's release. It hurts no one to know it's officially in development.

They switched from the Luminous engine to UE4 in 2015, so that was probably a big setback. Luminous is apparently not great to develop for, but it was their big internal engine at the time. Now it'll probably never be used again after only being used in FFXV.
So would the biggest reason it's taking longer than it should is that they had to make most if not all of the assets and scenarios from the ground up to run on UE4?

Famassu

There's five full games + a short teaser in the form of A Fragmentary Passage that you have to actually play before III if you want to be caught up. The games aren't necessarily all that long if you just want to play through the stories before III. If you just rush through them you shouldn't be taking more than 15-25 hours per game, so you could be done in (less than) 100 hours if you don't mind not spending a lot of time exploring and doing some fun side content (and some not-so-fun).

The rest can be watched in video form to get all the story they have.

So would the biggest reason it's taking longer than it should is that they had to make most if not all of the assets and scenarios from the ground up to run on UE4?
No, they didn't have to scrap any graphical assets they had done, those could be transferred to UE4 pretty painlessly, IIRC what Yasue has said about the subject. Mostly they just had some trouble with grasping the use of shaders and probably just getting to grips with the use of Unreal Engine 4 and even had Epic help with getting to know that stuff.

It has been over a decade since 2 came out, I think the "bitching" is warranted at this point.
You simply cannot ignore all the important, almost-mainline-KH-level games like BBS & DDD that have been released since then. It hasn't been over a decade since they last released KH games that build up lore and the grander story that will lead into the potentially epic finale in KHIII.

I've had issues with the whole story myself, but I've had fun piecing everything together after playing the series a few times. There are also videos like these that made me understand how deep, connected, and intricate the story really is.

Not ten games but there are

1. Kh1
2. Kh chain of memories
3. Kh2
4. Kh 358/2 Days
5. Kh BBS
6. Kh re:coded
7. Kh DDD
8. Kh x/back cover
9. Kh 0.2

Well shit that's almost 10 games actually. I honestly thought it was closer to 7 before typing this.
And Kingdom Hearts 3 makes 10.

daffy

Banned
Even if they started over in 2015 we should realistically have more info than we do at this point. I'm telling you guys, giving square a pass on this is to the detriment of all of us. I'm planning on staging a peaceful protest at D23 and I hope I'm not alone

Famassu

And Kingdom Hearts 3 makes 10.
Considering Days, Coded and Chi/Back Cover are officially in movie form at this point and 0.2 is a 3-4 hours long taster of things to come, there's no need to exaggerate as if there are almost 10 actual games to go through. There's 5 actual games to play through. It's not a little, but it's also not completely insurmountable a task, especially if one takes the aim of first just going through the main scenario of each game and leaves most of the side-content/100%ing/Platinuming for a later time.

Considering Days, Coded and Chi/Back Cover are officially in movie form at this point and 0.2 is a 3-4 hours long taster of things to come, there's no need to exaggerate as if there are almost 10 actual games to go through. There's 5 actual games to play through. It's not a little, but it's also not completely insurmountable a task, especially if one takes the aim of first just going through the main scenario of each game and leaves most of the side-content/100%ing/Platinuming for a later time.

There might be movie versions but they are still games in the series. I don't think anyone said there's 10 games to play through but rather they were saying there are 10 games in the series.

Famassu

There might be movie versions but they are still games in the series. I don't think anyone said there's 10 games to play through but rather they were saying there are 10 games in the series.
Sure, but when we have people come in these KH2.8, KH1.5 + 2.5 and KHIII threads with an interest to maybe get into the series but a bit scared of how many entries there have been so far, I think it's important to make the clarification that although there are 9 stories so far, almost half of them are not endeavours that take dozens of hours but 3 of them are actually stuff that you can just watch in a couple of nights (though you don't need to, considering how unimportant Days, Coded & Chi are) and one is a kind of epilogue/prologue (epilogue for BBS, prologue for KHIII). It's still a pretty big undertaking but, again, not something completely impossible if one doesn't intend to 100% the games straight away.

Even if they started over in 2015 we should realistically have more info than we do at this point. I'm telling you guys, giving square a pass on this is to the detriment of all of us. I'm planning on staging a peaceful protest at D23 and I hope I'm not alone

It is ridiculous, but I suspect the problems are negotiating with Disney. I mean we have 0.2 which is running in something like the KH3 engine; they have a playable game at some level. Given they mentioned some worlds haven't even been started yet because they perfect and finish each one before moving to the next, I'm guessing negotiating with Disney is proving to be slow and arduous (like it was for Joss Whedon directing the second avengers movie).

But yeah, this is stupid that 4 years after the game was announced they can't even tell us what year the game is coming out. They have major project management problems.

Mr.Fox

image.php

I need to see Donald and Goofy reacting to being turned into animals.

HUEHUEHUE
Well played sir.

But actually, considering that in Zootopia only mammals are intelligent/civilized animals (there were no birds, fishes, lizards, etc, those other phylum were still just normal animals in there), technically... Donald could need to be turned into a different species, and maybe Sora too (maybe an even weirder Lion form, since there he would be anthropomorphized, turning Sora officially into a furry).

RK128

What are the chances moana and zootopia make into the game?

Considering Big Hero 6 and Tangled are being in the game (very recent Disney films) wouldn't be shocked to see the other CGI films get worlds to.

My Expected World List:
-Frozen
-Zootopia
-Princes & The Frog
-Moana
-Lilo & Stitch
-Treasure Planet or Star Wars (Clone Wars Series)
-Fantasia 2000
-Jungle Book (Live Action Remake or Original Movie)
-Pirates (Likely based on the Second and Third Films)

Famassu

It is ridiculous, but I suspect the problems are negotiating with Disney. I mean we have 0.2 which is running in something like the KH3 engine; they have a playable game at some level. Given they mentioned some worlds haven't even been started yet because they perfect and finish each one before moving to the next, I'm guessing negotiating with Disney is proving to be slow and arduous (like it was for Joss Whedon directing the second avengers movie).

But yeah, this is stupid that 4 years after the game was announced they can't even tell us what year the game is coming out. They have major project management problems.
There's a big difference between "can't" and "won't". It's not necessarily that they can't announce a release date or even the year, but I'd say it's more likely that they just won't because it's still maybe at least some 12 months away from release (+/- 2-3 months) and they'll probably want to announce the year or date at a big event like E3, Gamescom or TGS, or even a completely separate event devoted purely for Kingdom Hearts, not just some random Thursday in February.

As such it's a bit presumptuous to claim the game is in any kind of unusual trouble development/management-wise* and not just taking a long time mostly because they are developing the massively epic finale for the story so far. This game WILL be absolutely massive. It has so much story to go through and however many worlds it has (I'd imagine something closer to KHII than DDD), they are all bigger & prettier than ever before. That content doesn't just create itself.

*almost all games except perhaps the recycliest Pokemons and FIFAs go through some level of hell (especially big ones, but even smaller indie games can have lots of problems), even ones from the best regarded developers like Naughty Dog and Nintendo, so of course there are probably some big & small issues KHIII's development has gone through, but I don't imagine they are anything too extraordinary or outside what a lot of other developers/publishers go through with this scale of development, especially after they switched to UE4 and got the development rolling (which itself was the answer to one obstacle earlier in its development that SQEX handled well by making the choice to go with UE4 sooner rather than later).

RK128

You know, I never considered this for the reason as to why the game is taking ages to release.

It was easy to put together worlds for past releases due to how small they were in size and asset requirements (due to many of the games working with PS2-Level hardware or re-using older worlds for the DS games). With KH3, they have to make everything from scratch in addition to getting the approval from Disney for worlds.

And considering how two of the confirmed worlds are newer films (Tangled and Big Hero 6) I would imagine Disney is being aggressive in getting recent films/IP's in Kingdom Hearts over older ones that the team at Square Enix wants to work with. So they could be having a battle over which IP's they want to work with or not.

Betty

Banned
HUEHUEHUE
Well played sir.

But actually, considering that in Zootopia only mammals are intelligent/civilized animals (there were no birds, fishes, lizards, etc, those other phylum were still just normal animals in there), technically... Donald could need to be turned into a different species, and maybe Sora too (maybe an even weirder Lion form, since there he would be anthropomorphized, turning Sora officially into a furry).

Sora should just be given his lion tail like he was originally supposed to have.

sappyday

I seriously hope we only get like three returning Disney worlds at a maximum. I already don't like that we're getting Hercules again even though they're obviously expanding it a lot more than ever before.

God I hope they're going Pixar route as well. I would love for a Toy Story or Monster's Inc world.

I strongly oppose any Star Wars. The only Marvel I would want is Guardians.

Famassu

There will obviously be more returning worlds than just three. Technically we already know three returning worlds (Hercules, Twilight Town, Daybreak Town), though Daybreak Town has only been featured in KHUX/Back Cover so far. We also know Castle Oblivion has to be featured in the game in some form, so that's four. And The World That Never Was is probably included too considering it's the base of operation for Master Xehanort. That's five. Disney Castle will probably also be in the game considering what happens with Malificent in DDD, so that makes it six returning worlds. I'd imagine there will also be at least 2-3 returning Disney Princess worlds, considering they are tied to the story of KHIII. Sooooo... yeah. Keep on dreamin'...

DKHF

I think now that XV and 2.8 are out, they are about to open the floodgates on KH3. The last year they had those two games to focus on, if not for them we would know more. Nomura said there will be non-stop KH news this year, and has continually said KH3 stuff will come after 2.8. I pretty much guarantee you, we will know a lot more by D23 in July.

My guess is next month for the promised winter announcements we get a trailer announcing two worlds. Then at E3 a blowout and 2018 confirmed. Then even more stuff throughout the year/next year leading to a May 2018 release. After hearing Nomura's explanation for his comment about there being worlds still untouched (how that is how they always develop KH games, they don't work on every world at once), I think they are probably done working on let's say 13/18 worlds now. Meaning there are some worlds left but most are done, and they have finalised the game's mechanics and balance.

BroBot

Considering Big Hero 6 and Tangled are being in the game (very recent Disney films) wouldn't be shocked to see the other CGI films get worlds to.

My Expected World List:
-Frozen
-Zootopia
-Princes & The Frog
-Moana
-Lilo & Stitch
-Treasure Planet or Star Wars (Clone Wars Series)
-Fantasia 2000
-Jungle Book (Live Action Remake or Original Movie)
-Pirates (Likely based on the Second and Third Films)

Stitch was already in Birth by Sleep so I don't know about Lilo & Stitch.

HUEHUEHUE
Well played sir.

That's where you get the tailed liony looking Sora from the original concept art.

raven777

I would normally oppose having another Hercules world, but everything we have seen seems completely different from what we saw in previous games so I am fine with it.

Famassu

My speculation for a partial list of worlds that I think could be a part of the game one way or another would be (including confirmed ones):

Twilight Town (Confirmed)
Daybreak Town (pretty much confirmed)
Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure (has to be in)
Disney Castle (implied in DDD that shit would be goin' down here)
Mysterious Tower (Fantasia) (the tower part is confirmed, hopefully some more wonderful Fantasia)
Radiant Garden (it'd be weird to have a "present era" mainline KH with no Squall & the gang! So I'm saying Radiant Garden/Hollow Bastion is in!)
Traverse Town (more TWEWY, plz)
Hercules (confirmed)
The World That Never Was (preeeetty much guaranteed to be in the game)
Keyblade Graveyard (this was modeled for Back Cover so they could use it in KHIII some way)
Tangled (confirmed)
Big Hero 6 (confirmed)
Princess of Heart World #1
Princess of Heart World #2
Realm of Darkness (Aqua will have to be saved from there so I'd imagine that it's in the game in some form, maybe a short playable segment with Riku, Mickey & Aqua all fighting together to get out of there :3 )
+ 3-5 more, possibly completely new IPs not yet seen in KH (could be literally anything. Toy Story? Frozen? Zootropolis? Sword in the Stone? Lilo & Stich Earth Edition? Destino?)

Though thinking about it now, what of the Princesses of Heart worlds are even around anymore? Enchanted Dominion, Dwarf Woodlands and Castle of Dreams have all fallen to darkness, right? So there's still Wonderland, Agrabah and Beast's Castle left? So who's ready for some more Agrabah?! Or maybe we won't visit their worlds this time? Seems like if they'd be in, we are closing in on 15+ worlds in my list already and we'd have kind of a small number of new worlds, though I guess some of the ones I listed might not be fully fledged worlds but just quick pit stops, so there's still more room for lengthier completely new worlds.

Nice, see you in a year for the next screenshot.
We have Nomura's word that we'll get a lot more actual KHIII stuff from now on. The only reason we haven't seen much of Kingdom Hearts III in the last year or so is because KHBBS 0.2 has been the focus of KH hype (which is basically almost the same as them showing KHIII), so your snarky pessimism is not only ridiculously unwarranted, it just makes you seem like a butthurt, silly child.

BHK3

Banned
Why does the age of the movie matter for a world? Did everyone forget that chicken little was a summon in KH2 and his movie wasn't even out yet?

We have Nomura's word that we'll get a lot more actual KHIII stuff from now on. The only reason we haven't seen much of Kingdom Hearts III in the last year or so is because KHBBS 0.2 has been the focus of KH hype (which is basically almost the same as them showing KHIII), so your snarky pessimism is not only ridiculously unwarranted, it just makes you seem like a butthurt, silly child.

You may want to try not to be so sensitive.

Famassu

You may want to try not to be so sensitive.
Not sensitive, just think a millionth such post is just stupid at this point, when 2.8 has clearly been hogging the spotlight and now that it's out of the way, we can start expecting more KHIII news in the not too distant future.

saad1

Banned
didn't he plan to implement "kingdom shader" on classical disney movies?

this look is more suitable for CGI movies but idk.

Top Bottom