• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aters

Maybe! Here's just a little comparison of what current hardware is able to achieve while rendering graphics in real-time.

LimVdtx.jpg

Drake's face is impressive, his shirt not so much. Still we need to see ND's next title on PS4.5.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe! Here's just a little comparison of what current hardware is able to achieve while rendering graphics in real-time.

LimVdtx.jpg

The height in detail ends the minute you look below Drake's neck.

I'm hoping that Square Enix can flex their muscle once they finally get rid of the terrible engine that FFXV is on. Not saying FFXV looks bad but with better tools they could impress more.

Ray Down

Banned
Agree. They belong to Gears, not FF.

Still this looks amazing and the character design is ten times better than the game. Maybe SE will notice that people love this kind of design and do it in FFXVI.

I meant i wouldn't want to fight them in 15.

Kindekuma

Banned
I don't wanna rain on people's parade on "when we'll get visuals like this in consoles" but don't hold your breath for any time soon. We more or less now have the capabilities to render out Toy Story in real time, but Kingsglaive, much like every other movie out there, has dozens upon dozens of render passes. The hair isn't polygons with textures that have alpha, they're full on nHair simulations. Same goes for the clothes, they all have calculated deformations too with nCloth.

Even with baked assets and cached data such as geometry, simulations, particles, etc, the amount of VRAM pushed to the GPU to handle all the assets would be basically impossible right now to put out in real time. Unless people want to consider hours if not days per frame as the new cinematic quality (like a single frame from Disney's 'Frozen' took about 23 hours per frame), don't hold your breath.

It still looks really, really good though. I definitely want to see it when it hits theaters.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

I'm hoping that Square Enix can flex their muscle once they finally get rid of the terrible engine that FFXV is on. Not saying FFXV looks bad but with better tools they could impress more.
Just wait until we see more of FFVII:R. If they're going to bother making it look this realistic you gotta wonder why they didn't go live action especially considering that most if not all of the characters are based off of their english VA. Like someone said above it seems like a tech demo more than anything else. >_>

Luigiv

DAMN.

How many more console generations in order to have those visuals in-game? :O

Hard to say. Probably only around 2 - 3 generational leaps (about a 100x - 1000x increase from where we are now) but what me pause, is that I'm not sure we even have room left for that many leaps. We're already approaching the physical limits of how small (and densely packed) a transistor can be. Moore's law is already slowing down and eventually we're going to hit a brick wall. We'll need to find a completely different paradigm of computing to advance beyond that point, so who knows.

Ishida

Banned

Perhaps.

I believe the closest we've gotten to a CGI look in real time graphics is The Order. It looks a lot more consistent, including the clothing and the fucking insane amount of details on it.

zTrk9Bl.jpg

Dice//

Banned
Love it. The characters have "slight flaws" that make the characters look much more real (especially compared to some CG where characters look "too beautiful")

Ishida

Banned
Aesthetics seem much more cohesive than the game.

There's a reason for that.

Kingsglaive takes place in Insomnia, which has a certain aesthetic to it.

The game takes place outside of Insomnia, the world which is said to be extremely different to the city, and a huge clash of different environments and cultures.

koutoru

It's interesting to see realistic CGI movie rendering.
We don't often get to see this and it's come a long way since Final Fantasy: Spirit's Within (which looked amazing for 2001 CGI).

butman

DAMN.

- I bet PS8 if you want them in glorious 60fps.
- Year? 2043.
- In 27 years.
- In my case i will have 61 years old if i not die earlier.

(Oh well this is depressing as fuck!. And i'm being optimistic considering that every gen should last 6 years)

Having taken just one glance at the pics, it looks live-action up until the last three images.

Can we get that dude as the main character instead of Noctis, or at least have him show up in the game?

DAMN.

Agni Philosophy was close and that's running on a GTX680 back in 2011 cutscene wise

There was also the Witch tech demo on DX12 but that used three Titan Xs. The level fidelity and animation in that demo matches Kingsglaive

There's a reason for that.

Kingsglaive takes place in Insomnia, which has a certain aesthetic to it.

The game takes place outside of Insomnia, the world which is said to be extremely different to the city, and a huge clash of different environments and cultures.

Doesn't look very diverse to me. I haven't even seen the token character yet.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It just occurred to me that the animation in this has to be literally flawless to avoid the uncanny valley. Especially the eye movement. Ծ_Ծ

Not really sure what you mean. o_O
One is budget concerns, two is stuff like lighting in this being WAY more complex than real time rendering can handle even with the super pretty in-engine tech demos that usually take place in incredibly small spaces with nothing resembling AI or real time physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom