• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New (?) Mario Kart Wii info (Snaking confirmed)

Nuclear Muffin said:
GCN controller support confirmed!

http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94389_Mario_Kart_Wii_F1001c_122_1048lo.jpg

(Look at the online menu screen, notice the green and red buttons?)

I'll give the new Wii controls a try of course (Excite Truck's controls were excellent) but Mario Kart Arcade GP's controls suck, I don't think that Mario Kart's gameplay is well suited to a steering wheel though, it has always been tailored to a controller and has always controlled best with one.

New scans and info from famitsu here as well!

http://img121.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94381_Mario_Kart_Wii_F1001a_122_954lo.jpg

http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94387_Mario_Kart_Wii_F1001b_122_867lo.jpg

:D :D :D

The online menus look interesting... those Mii's all over the globe. I'm digging the wheel and the bike stunts too.

I hope the other regions aren't far behind Japan if this ships in April.

Do these scans have their own thread? They seem worthy of them to me. Or perhaps we can retitle this one?

king zell

40.jpg
43.jpg

45.jpg
44.jpg
48.jpg

47.jpg
42.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg
31.jpg

35.jpg
37.jpg

Am I reading that right on the last page that there are only 8 new courses? I'll reserve judgment, but I can't say I'm terribly excited right now, I only hope it's better than Double Dash.

MisterHero

Davidion said:
SSBB is too specific character oriented, you'd have to find a way to make the mii characters unique in action and that can get problematic. With MK you're just shoving the character into a kart and inject stats (if even that).
They could have WiiSports-themed actions and their Final Smash could be WiiPlay Tank, just have interchangable faces. :(

GitarooMan said:
Am I reading that right on the last page that there are only 8 new courses? I'll reserve judgment, but I can't say I'm terribly excited right now, I only hope it's better than Double Dash.

There are 8 cups with 4 tracks each in the DS game. I think those must be the only cups revealed. Where is star cup for example? There's always a star cup.

Penguin

GitarooMan said:

I thought it was 16 new/16 old.

30.jpg

Who is that next to Luigi?

GitarooMan said:

Not all of the courses have been announced.

Davidion

MisterHero said:
They could have WiiSports-themed actions and their Final Smash could be WiiPlay Tank, just have interchangable faces. :(

You REALLY want that integration don't you?! :lol

Edit: That's actually not a bad idea. edit again: Ok, maybe just the tank part.

Minsc

Gold Member

Is that picture above the ghost track from the SNES? It seems like it is:

OLD:
"Shell Cup"
GC Peach Beach
DS Yoshi Falls
SFC Ghost Swamp 2
64 Mario Circuit

"Banana Cup"
64 Sherbert Land
GBA Hey Ho Beach
DS Monty Town
GC Waluigi Stadium

They need to bring back more tracks from that game.
feather confirmed?

CTLance

Minsc said:
Is that picture above the ghost track from the SNES? It seems like it is:
They need to bring back more tracks from that game.
feather confirmed?
Super Mario Kart 3D???
*Inappropriate expression of ethereal joy involving prolonged discharge of primary sexual organ*

Oh please oh please oh please. Do want etc.
sc7sbq.jpg

There were already 4 courses from Super Mario Kart SNES in Mario Kart DS :Þ (and all of them in Mario Kart GBA) So that's nothing new.

But in MK DS, they only lasted 3 Laps unlike on the SNES, so hopefully, they'll fix that now.

Would be cool if they added those onlinefeatures tho it's a bummer that Smash doesn't use them... World ranks? Would be perfect for Smash but oh well...

Minsc

Gold Member
Most needed feature (beside no snaking):
Map Editor.

It's in Brawl. Make it happen Nintendo.

[Nintex]

PataHikari said:
No no no.

Bad Nintendo.

For crying out loud, there's no reason to keeep on supporting the Gamecube controller with this game. I want Mario Kart Wii, not "Mario Kart... eehhh here's the GC"
Some people prefer traditional controls though. I hope it has classic controller support, It's also way easier to gather a couple of Classic/Gamecube controllers than 4 Wii Remotes and Wii Wheels.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I remember having this argument over providing traditional controls in the Smash Bros. Dojo thread.

There's nothing wrong with providing more controller options.

Some more details from Famitsu :

- online league and a global world ranking
- local rankings
- dedicated channel for online aspect
- send and receive time attack scores online, online ranking for time attack as well
- upload/download Ghosts

See also : IGN

[edit] Oops, already posted...Kind of...

Anyway, looks like in the end, Gaffer Feep was entirely right about the details he got in advance from his source... Nice one.

Haunted

Awesome-wowsome. *kittonwy.gif*

Dark Octave said:
Whatever happened to the good old days of just pressing a button?
Yeah, what happened to 8-bit graphics... wait, I know - they got replaced by something superior.

mr stroke

Stormbringer said:
Some details from Famitsu :

- online league and a global world ranking
- local rankings
- dedicated channel for online aspect
- send and receive time attack scores online, online ranking for time attack as well
- upload/download Ghosts

See also : IGN

[edit] Oops, already posted...Kind of...

Anyway, looks like in the end, Gaffer Feep was entirely right about the details he got in advance from his source... Nice one.

bend me over if Nintendo can pull off those online features!!!
now please Nintendo just give us Voice Chat PLEASE!!! its not that hard damn it!!!!!!!

Haunted One said:
Awesome-wowsome. *kittonwy.gif*

Yeah, what happened to 8-bit graphics... wait, I know - they got replaced by something superior.
Not too sure if you can compare 8-bit vs. last gen graphics to pressing a button vs. shaking the controller. I don't think the difference is quite that large.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Didn't Mario Kart DS have both new and retro courses that were unlocked as you progressed through the game? You started off with 2 New Cups and 2 Retro Cups, with additional sets of levels appearing later?

I'm tempted to believe the "4 cups" thing is just referring to the starting courses.

I am surprised the GC Controller confirmation did not re-spark Snaking worries, since it would be easier to snake on a GC controller.

Seriously, of all games that would benefit from having voice chat, MK is near the top. The howls and screams of friends as they get pummeled by lightning, a blue shell and a couple of reds thrown in for good luck, that's half the fun right there.

mr stroke

Chibbi Brady said:
Seriously, of all games that would benefit from having voice chat, MK is near the top. The howls and screams of friends as they get pummeled by lightning, a blue shell and a couple of reds thrown in for good luck, that's half the fun right there.

+1
MK has always been IMO the best multiplayer game, voice chat is a MUST for this game. it would be a travisty if Nintendo left it out

Top Bottom