• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New (?) Mario Kart Wii info (Snaking confirmed)

Green Shinobi said:
Maybe if they made it so you could only get consecutive mini-turbos in the same direction or something, that could work. So you couldn't slide right, then left, then right, then left to get endless boosts on straightaways.
that would only stop people from snaking on straightaways or S turns.

they would still snake on one way corners.

The Faceless Master said:

People doing it on straightaways are where most of the problems lie. I don't think anyone has a problem with people getting multiple boosts around long-ass turns.

Green Shinobi said:
People doing it on straightaways are where most of the problems lie. I don't think anyone has a problem with people getting multiple boosts around long-ass turns.
is it ok to start the snaking motion before the turn if you only actually boost into the turn, or should you wait until you hit the turn to start snaking?

also, should you finish snaking so that you are no longer boosting before the turn ends, or is it ok to snake when you know the boost will still be active outside of the turn, or can you continue to complete a snaking motion outside of a turn if you started while still in the turn?

finally, does it count as a turn if you are on a straightaway with a huge obstacle in the path that you would have to steer around to get around?

Mdk7

As much as i loved the franchise (with 64's multiplayer above all), i'm completely sick of it... Don't really know what happened -i LOVED the DS version!- but i'm just not feeling it anymore. :(
And a big MEH to snaking, it's something i refuse to learn because i think it ruins the whole balancing of the game.

About the controls à la Excite Truck (awesome, awesome game!), they have to be a little different since the fugly driving wheel they showed at E3 had the Wiimote placed with the buttons IN FRONT of the player and not facing up.

jgwhiteus

Apparently the "confirmations" were all speculation?

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=91606

Eurogamer said:
Nintendo dismisses Mario Kart rumours

News by Ellie Gibson
Tuesday
Nintendo has told Eurogamer the latest rumours to emerge about Mario Kart Wii are nothing more than speculation.

As reported by Aussie-Nintendo, Nmag Gamepro magazine claims the game will feature 32 courses - half of which will be brand new, half old favourites.

The mag also claims Baby Peach and Boo will appear as drivers, snaking will make a comeback, Battle mode will be playable online and the controls will be similar to those in Excite Truck.

Or not. According to a spokesperson, "Nintendo has not announced any further information on Mario Kart. We've spoken to the magazine and it's just pure rumour and speculation on their part."

So what do we know about MK Wii? It'll work with the new Wii steering wheel, and up to 12 players will be able to race online. Plus it's got motorbikes. For more info, visit the gamepage. Mario Kart Wii is due out in the first half of this year.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Snaking :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Snaking :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

It was the worst thing about 2005.

WTF at it not being a horrible glitch exclusive to MK:DS and it being a recurring feature??

Tain

At least most of the people in this thread are mad at Nintendo instead of the players who will/have used snaking online.

The ones that aren't make me wonder why they play video games.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
flipping_heck said:
From G0-nintendo

Sliding and snaking confirmed
Baby Peach, Boo to be drivers
online battle mode
16 new + 16 old courses
different vehicles for every driver
controls can be compared to Excite Truck

http://tinyurl.com/2f9ybd

Let us all snake to high heaven!

Cool. How about a first person view? Force Feedback support for the Logitech wheel?

Shiggy

In Switzerland people with pre-orders might win/get this bag:
god-big-mariokartwii.jpg

Europe will get this game before SSBB :(

Shiggy said:
http://www.alcom.ch/goodies/god-big-mariokartwii.jpg
Europe will get this game before SSBB :([/QUOTE]

I trade all the MK games in the world for SSBB first

Vagabundo

Shiggy said:
god-big-mariokartwii.jpg

Europe will get this game before SSBB :(

As it should be, who in europe gives a flying monkey about SSBB when the KART is to be released.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why do people keep disparaging Mario Kart DS for introducing snaking? The power slide boost was a part of the gameplay since Mario Kart 64.

Using them strategically to increase your odds of victory is a legitimate tactic.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Sliding and snaking confirmed

controls can be compared to Excite Truck

It's like being punched in the nuts then having a beautiful women rub your sore nuts in that order.

Taker666

Rentahamster said:
Why do people keep disparaging Mario Kart DS for introducing snaking? The power slide boost was a part of the gameplay since Mario Kart 64.

Using them strategically to increase your odds of victory is a legitimate tactic.

It's because it's the first online version of the game.

The majority don't snake/don't want to snake ..but if you want to play online you're forced to. If you don't like snaking then the online portion of the game is useless. With the offline games you could play how you want to..with online you have no choice.

I'm happy to do the boost on corners but I don't want to be going left and right all over the road on straights....it's just stupid IMO.

Personally I always prefered the SNES/GBA games with the speed-up coins and I was hoping they would return to that method of play. I always felt they were the superior games.

Vagabundo

Taker666 said:
Personally I always prefered the SNES/GBA games with the speed-up coins and I was hoping they would return to that method of play. I always felt they were the superior games.

You might be right and the kart handled better because it was weighted down with coins, I always liked that.

It is simple to fix even after release, just creat another online mode that doesnt have mini-turbos and implements the coins. It could be a small compulsory download patch to the game if it isnt released at launch.

Rotanibor

I never understood the problem with snaking. It never even seemed that hard for me to do. It wouldn't bother me if its out though, I'll find new ways to race.

Although on the other hand I could never wavedash worth a damn in Smash Bros., and people that defended it all the time annoyed me so maybe I can see where others are coming from.

Swisslink

Without snaking, some items in MKDS would have been really imbalanced ;)
look at the blue shells, they were just TOO strong ;)

If there's no snaking in MKWii, they have to weak many items, or MKWii will be a luckergame ;)

[Nintex]

So is Nintendo planning a conference or press release to show some new footage?
Didn't they show a new trailer at the world hobby fair?

The Faceless Master said:

That is not snaking. Snaking is repeatedly boosting on straightways.

I snake. I'm a damn good snaker.

And I agree that snaking ruined Mario Kart. It is not meant to be a competitive racer. It just isn't. It's supposed to be fun for everyone.

When I learned to snake, and no one else at my school did, well then, I was just left out of the MK races. Since it was obvious that I was going to win, and if I didn't, I was just holding back, and that's no good. Seeing how that felt, I decided never to go online, so I wouldn't ruin the experience for others.

I ruined Mario Kart for myself and others. : ( Snaking: the Anti-MK. : (

Proven

PillowKnight said:
That is not snaking. Snaking is repeatedly boosting on straightways.

That may be so, but you don't get the other, really big problem that made snaking possible. The fact that your mini turbo is so good that the best way to play would be to mini turbo all of the time.

The only way I could see to improve this is to have your mini turbos give less and less of a boost, the more often you do it. You know, diminishing returns.

When everybody in a race is snaking it's fantastic though. It can be really intense. I just want options, give me the chance to play how I want to, and let me play with other people who don't.

[Nintex]

TheGreatDave said:
When everybody in a race is snaking it's fantastic though. It can be really intense. I just want options, give me the chance to play how I want to, and let me play with other people who don't.
Yeah, that would be the best solution, since MK Wii also has stunts. just put a:
Stunts: on/off
Boost: on/off
Item: on/off

option in the game...
Sakurai would :(

Top Bottom