• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New (?) Mario Kart Wii info (Snaking confirmed)

darscot

You guys that love it I suspect haven't bothered to play the game since it became rampant. Once everyone was doing it and you couldn't "own" anymore the game became dull as shit. Those of us that just wanted to play the game and have fun always had to put up with you guys. I really hope the Wii version has a Snaking option then we'll see how the game gets played. I suspect one option will be packed and hella fun and the other will have a couple of losers hoping someone mistakenly joins so they can own.

i'm going to cross my fingers that the controls will really reinvent the franchise, snaking or no snaking, to something better that can't really be compared to the games before it

but you never know. could be just MKDD +waggle

Feep said:
Yeah, fair enough. My source informed me of the Smash Brawl delay around 12 hours before it was announced, and pretty much no one in the Dojo thread believed me. Maybe my source and I will have credibility...someday. = D

Whats your source say on a release for this?

Or anyones source for that matter?

Is there a target quarter we're expecting it in?

darscot said:
You guys that love it I suspect haven't bothered to play the game since it became rampant. Once everyone was doing it and you couldn't "own" anymore the game became dull as shit. Those of us that just wanted to play the game and have fun always had to put up with you guys. I really hope the Wii version has a Snaking option then we'll see how the game gets played. I suspect one option will be packed and hella fun and the other will have a couple of losers hoping someone mistakenly joins so they can own.

I actually stopped playing the game because I couldn't find enough snakers to play with back then.

Not to mention the fact that I don't care about those who "just wanted to play the game". Guess what, I wanted to play the game too, so I learned.

Also you're making that baseless assumption that all people who snake are "losers hoping someone mistakenly joins so they can own".

Mario Kart is going to look pathetic releasing after Smash Bros. Unless they include track editors, insane amounts of levels, characters, challenges, a one-player mode....well, I'll be disappointed.

There's a chance I'll be surprised.

darscot

Holy Order Sol said:
Also you're making that baseless assumption that all people who snake are "losers hoping someone mistakenly joins so they can own".

Assumptions yes baseless no. I played the game and learned pretty quick that even the guys that snake didn't like to play much when they didn't win. The majority of Snakers talk smack about how its a skill that we should learn. That because all the do is play against people that didn't do it. I just got tired of hearing if you could you would. It was total crap.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, this confirms I'll have to post my friend code on here so we can have a GAF "non-snaking" group.

underfooter said:
Mario Kart is going to look pathetic releasing after Smash Bros. Unless they include track editors, insane amounts of levels, characters, challenges, a one-player mode....well, I'll be disappointed.

There's a chance I'll be surprised.

I think Mario Kart DS was a real step in the right direction. I loved it's challenges and GP replay value. A track editor really should be expected I think.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I still think you folks are making a lot of assumptions based simply on Go Nintendo saying "SNAKING IZ BACK!"

Jammy

Banned
Mario Kart DS kicked ass. It's easily the best in the series and one of the best handheld games out there. So much was added to the formula, and it was all done near-perfectly.

I wonder how Mario Kart Wii can top that?

Feep said:
Yeah, fair enough. My source informed me of the Smash Brawl delay around 12 hours before it was announced, and pretty much no one in the Dojo thread believed me. Maybe my source and I will have credibility...someday. = D

I guess everything will be settled as soon as we get the next big Mario Kart Wii informations blow-out... Maybe at GDC ?...

Snaking?

Fuck.

DSPFFN02-200.jpg

Jammy said:
Mario Kart DS kicked ass. It's easily the best in the series and one of the best handheld games out there. So much was added to the formula, and it was all done near-perfectly.

I wonder how Mario Kart Wii can top that?

"Community". Take the replays from Smash and distribute them the same way, level editor with the ability to share, etc. Hopefully this stuff is in place for the network as a whole.

Gagaman

Wow, people complain about Sonic's 'Shitty friends', yet they fill in character spots in Mario spin offs with baby versions of the same characters? They have so many great characters they could put in, but baby Peach? :lol

As for the snaking, are people forgetting how Wii online gaming works? They will hopefully have it like Smash Bros where you can choose to play against random players or people on your friend list, so you could be picky about who you play against to avoid the avid snakers. Still kind of spoils the experience a little, though.

Tristam

I've been snaking since the days of MK64 (well before I'd ever heard of the term) and never got shit for it until one of my buddies bitched me out for it in MKDS. Like wavedashing in Smash Bros., I really can't understand how anyone thinks it's exploiting the game's mechanics to the degree that it qualifies as "cheating." It's like accusing someone of cheating in, say, Contra III for constantly switching between primary and secondary weapons to eliminate lag time between shots.

Scribble

I know, so many great Mario characters: Koopalings, Tatanga,
Geno
, and they choose Baby Peach?

You know, Mario Kart is really fun, but I just can't get excited about it. ATM, the Wii version seems rather...barebones. Kirby's Air Ride had flaws, but was PACKED full of content. I'd like them to do something similar with Mario Kart.

Feep

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Whats your source say on a release for this?

Or anyones source for that matter?

Is there a target quarter we're expecting it in?
I'll ask next time I see him/her...

Edag Plata said:
I kinda wish they didn't go so gimicky for MK. I mean, MKDS was the most ungimicky game for the DS at the time. I was hoping you'd have a Wii remote/nunchuck combo where you'd steer with the nunchuck and the 'mote would be used for weapons, everything driving related would be the left hand and you'd flick the remote to attack and whatever they have you do with weapons.

I think it would be a great idea and the fact that its not in there with the potential makes me a sad panda and much less excited for this game than i should be.

I kinda wish people didn't throw around the work gimmick so easily...Excite Truck controls are not gimmicky. They're in no way forced and are actually intuitive...although using the wiimote aiming for items does open up new and interesting possibilities, the current controls are no where near gimmicky

masud

Banned
Playing mario kart against strangers is lame as hell. What’s the point? I got more than enough enjoyment out of MKDS with single player and wireless multi, I played the random online mode maybe 10 times tops. If I can't talk shit to someone in person after hitting them with a shell feet before the finish line I might as well be playing another game. I don't get people that feel the need to be this leet Mario Karter so much so that people occasionally using an exploit to beat them makes the entire game worthless. It's fucking Mario Kart! The game is about having fun with your friends. Maybe I just play games for different reasons.

Oh yeah and i'm very happy about the exite truck controlls. Best way to play a racing game without a wheel imo.

I agree that a cool-down period after you use a turbo-boost would fix things. Even better is if after a boost, you can't drift around corners for that cool-down period. This would add a bit of strategy as to when to use it when it comes to taking several corners in succession (get the boost now and lose the ability to drift around the next turn), and perhaps remove some of the incentive to boost on straightaways (if you boost now, you can't drift around the upcoming turn).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
flipping_heck said:
From G0-nintendo

Sliding and snaking confirmed
Baby Peach, Boo to be drivers
online battle mode
16 new + 16 old courses
different vehicles for every driver
controls can be compared to Excite Truck

http://tinyurl.com/2f9ybd

Let us all snake to high heaven!
Snaking :( I hate racing people that can do that all the way through the track.

Excite Truck Controls? :D :D :D

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I snaked in Mario Kart DS very effectively, it's an extremely easy trick to learn and use. I was still hoping it was gone though because it's so damn boring. You just do the same thing over and over and over again throughout every race, and whoever does it best wins. It's also way too huge an advantage. Snaking basically replaces the act of driving straight in Mario Kart, and the speed bonus for using it is enormous. It's not like wavedashing in Smash which is difficult to learn and harder still to use to an actual advantage, snaking basically automatically elevates someone to "free win" status over everyone else that doesn't use it. I think that's ridiculous. You can have a skill curve in a racing game without implementing dumb techniques like this.

Also, if standard controllers are an option and they make snaking easier, motion controls will be completely worthless in online play.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
They ran out of good Mario characters a long time ago. They should just change it to Smash Kart and be done with it :p

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
theres alot of hate on this game already, damn. itll probably be alot of fun and ill probably play the shit out of it. i still really enjoyed the GC Kart game even though it was definitely the weakest link. we'll see. exciting trucks was the bomb though so im looking forward to the controls.

ps baby park better be one of the tracks.

cedric69 said:
Sure, that shouldn't stop people from criticizing a part of the game.

youre right. maybe i just dont understand the big deal. its easy to do and it makes you go faster. i used to play the DS version constantly and snaked whenever possible. no complaints here.

Now the most of the tracks are not too fast paced. That is why snaking exist. I would get bored on many tracks if i could not do some snaking.

What they have to do is to punish hard the snakers when they hit "straight mode" drivers

Alts

So, unfamiliar with what snaking looked like in MKDS, I checked out a youtube video, and not only does it look incredibly easy, but I mostly do it already, to a lesser extent (in Double Dash). I thought it was more akin to the snaking in F-Zero, which I have heard is quite difficult to handle.

Jado

Banned
MGrant said:
Also, what's been up with red and blue shells lately? Back in the day, you had to aim red shells; none of this auto-steering red shell business. And blue shells were rare. I mean, Lightning Bolt in SNES Mario Kart rare.

Also, fix the whole thing with item probabilities. It should not be a viable strategy to spend the first lap of the race in third place so you can get mushrooms to take shortcuts, or 4th place to get a star, etc.

This is why I stopped playing MKDS. It was a good game but ultimately ruined by all this ass-backwards bullshit that continues to persist in the series. AT LEAST give players the option to turn off those stupid blue shells. And I hear you on the red shell business: they're nearly unavoidable in MKDS. I remember being able to dodge them with some skillful turning or item dragging.

Snaking completely ruined online. Rubber-band AI and giving the best items to players staying back is also more BS that needs to be dumped from the series.

Holy Order Sol said:
I have fun playing to win, even if I end up losing. What do you say to that ?
you have a fighting game character in your name.

that automatically excludes you from this discussion.

i'm surprised you didn't like to an article from sirlin.net

Proven

Threi said:
Snaking isn't like linking powerslides in Crash Team Racing (superior karting game, but that is for another thread =P) is it?

Ha, we agree on Crash Team Racing.

And no, snaking isn't like CTR because CTR has time based boosts (have to wait a certain amount of time before you can boost). Only Super Circuit for the GBA had this mechanic I believe.

The problem with MKDS was that, because boosts on certain karts lasted so long, you could immediately go into another power slide and pull off another boost just as the first one ended, so that you'd never ever slow down. You ended up going so fast that it was impossible to keep up unless the course made it impossible for snaking, which never happened (all those people that said they beat people on other courses, especially Sky Garden, have only been playing against bad snakers. Tracks like Sky Garden could easily be snaked the whole way through, including through the cloud shortcut. If you don't believe me, go look up Time Trials).

The other thing, as someone mentioned, was that power slide boosts equated to mushroom boosts, so you could drive over everything and never slow down, allowing you to take every shortcut out there that normally needed a mushroom (well, at least in 150cc).

I miss CTR...

Sweedishrodeo said:
theres alot of hate on this game already, damn. itll probably be alot of fun and ill probably play the shit out of it. i still really enjoyed the GC Kart game even though it was definitely the weakest link. we'll see. exciting trucks was the bomb though so im looking forward to the controls.

ps baby park better be one of the tracks.

youre right. maybe i just dont understand the big deal. its easy to do and it makes you go faster. i used to play the DS version constantly and snaked whenever possible. no complaints here.

I'm still surprised at how many people feel this way about Double Dash for some reason. I'll admit items were quite a bit more powerful than before, but I still felt like the worst Mario Kart was Super Circuit for the GBA. Then again, it's probably loved more since it's most like the original, coins and all.

Hopefully they don't pick stupid tracks this time. Who the hell wants to play Moo Moo Farm? Ever?

As a side note, anyone want to see Super Kart Bros.?

Akai

Do you people not have friends or something? I mean, even ONLINE friends that you can trust not to snake?

callous

I hope they at least have the common sense to make some kind of system where you can play games without snaking enabled online. Otherwise they can go to hell.

big_z

wii fit minigame leftover? all that snaking is going to get tiring moving your arms back and forth.

needs more tracks.
baby characters need to die. fuck you and your kiddy fetish nintendo.

Top Bottom