• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New (?) Mario Kart Wii info (Snaking confirmed)

What's crazy to me is the fact that, on SNES, my friends and I never even played the races- it was pretty much strictly battle mode. Everytime I've gotten a new Mario Kart, all I've been excited about really was the battle mode, and the battle mode always sucks compared to the original. If they'd make a half-decent battle mode, the snaking would be a non-issue, because we'd have an actual decent alternative mode to play.

Hus

I want to have faith in Nintendo and it's ability to make great games, but it better not fuck with Mario Kart. This is the game I've been wanting the most, aside from Brawl. Mario Kart is one of their biggest sellers, and the first one for Wii better be done right. I bought Excite Truck, and I didn't think the controls were good...merely passable. Though, I had a doubt or two about Galaxy and it came out perfect, so...NINTENDO...DO NOT FAIL ME NOW!

Anyone know if alternate control methods are available?

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Yeah, when I played multiplayer Mario Kart in the old days it was 90% battle mode. These days I don't see it holding my interest for very long though.

.dmc

Banned
Miguga64 said:
Sneaking is like wavedashing or L-cancelling in Smash, is skill and endurance

It is game breakingly unbalanced though. I'd never want to get rid of powersliding, but all they need to do is make sure you can't chain them consecutively. If the snaking is as bad online as it is on the DS.. I'm never going to race online. Online battle though.. <3<3<3

Teddman

I want the online ability to play co-op through the GP mode. Preferably with more than two players.

THIS IS IMPORTANT, MK DS HAD NO CO-OP MODE AT ALL.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Miguga64 said:
Maybe if wavedashing caused all your attacks to do double damage and knockback after a day or two of practice, then that would be comparable to snaking.

Rexaur

A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES!

SnakeKart.jpg

Hus said:
I want to have faith in Nintendo and it's ability to make great games, but it better not fuck with Mario Kart. This is the game I've been wanting the most, aside from Brawl. Mario Kart is one of their biggest sellers, and the first one for Wii better be done right. I bought Excite Truck, and I didn't think the controls were good...merely passable. Though, I had a doubt or two about Galaxy and it came out perfect, so...NINTENDO...DO NOT FAIL ME NOW!

Anyone know if alternate control methods are available?

Knowing Nintendo, probably not.

Go back and play Excite Truck. The controls really are fantastic when you get to the near the end of the game. If I hadn't played Excite I'd be concerned. As it is I'm happy.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
TheGreatDave said:
Knowing Nintendo, probably not.

Go back and play Excite Truck. The controls really are fantastic when you get to the near the end of the game. If I hadn't played Excite I'd be concerned. As it is I'm happy.

QFT. the trucks in that game are truly exciting. the speed of the races are fast paced, and its accentuated by controlling it like that with the remote. it was like a fine wine, def got better the longer i played as well. it was so good i even listened to the butt rock soundtrack. multiplayer was classic.

Alts

Do people really expect a Snaking On/Off option? Snaking is exploiting the drift boost. To turn off snaking is to remove the drift boost.

Granted this wouldn't be an issue if they required a "charge time" between drift boosts.

Haunted

All these snaking defenders in here make me fucking sick.

Alts said:
Do people really expect a Snaking On/Off option? Snaking is exploiting the drift boost. To turn off snaking is to remove the drift boost.

Granted this wouldn't be an issue if they required a "charge time" between drift boosts.
So turning off snaking is not removing the drift boost at all.

I wouldn't mind if they put some restriction on it, but don't make it so you can't powerslide on a straight if you want to. Just do it so that it's a risk reward thing rather than a necessity to win.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Alts said:

by creating a charge time the ability to tackle more tricky courses may be hindered.

snaking is here to stay.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
flipping_heck said:
controls can be compared to Excite Truck
I haven't looked through the thread but if that's the only option for controls then it looks like this will be the first Mario Kart game that I won't buy.

Lobster

Banned
Err guys..its gonna be fucking hard to snake with motion controls...We can't exactly use the D-Pad to race anymore..

Lobster

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
why do people like snaking?

it's just an artificial enhancement like playing DMC or Ninja Gaiden on 'Normal' instead of Easy (the REAL difficulty)

What?

Normal is the real difficulty..thats why its called normal..

Jiggy

Miguga64 said:
Wavedashing and L-cancelling don't murder a person's left hand. And wavedashing is especially a weird comparison, because unlike L-cancelling, it's pretty well possible to be competitive (albeit not top-tier competitive) without it.

Zek said:
Maybe if wavedashing caused all your attacks to do double damage and knockback after a day or two of practice, then that would be comparable to snaking.
Yes, this too.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The Faceless Master said:
i hate skill, i wish the races were decided by who got the best item pickups.

i wish new mario kart games had the feather like mario kart on snes so i can get the item and jump half the track and win with luck instead of skill.
Are you fucking retarded?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
KittenMaster said:
Reggie: "Even a new player can jump online and stay wheel to wheel with veterans."
"We'll give shitty players enough items to dismantle a quality player's skill." I hate what Mario Kart has turned into.

beef3483

Mutagenic said:
"We'll give shitty players enough items to dismantle a quality player's skill." I hate what Mario Kart has turned into.

Uhh. Isn't that what Mario Kart has done all along? Shitty items for the leaders and awesome items for the stragglers?

Lobster

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Why on earth would they leave a game-breaking mechanic in the game?

Because its gonna be as impossible to snake as it was in Mario Kart 64? Motion controls are going to be hard to snake with.

edit:Anyone with excite truck, go play the game right now and constantly move the wiimote left and right. Its not very good is it?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
beef3483 said:
Uhh. Isn't that what Mario Kart has done all along? Shitty items for the leaders and awesome items for the stragglers?
Right, but in the original you still had to actually look at the screen to win (Special Cup). In these new games, the courses are so wide, and the power-ups so great that being anything other than first is rewarded. If you're in first, you wish you weren't.

Alts

Haunted One said:
So turning off snaking is not removing the drift boost at all.

As the game is purportedly coded, snaking is the result of exploiting the drift boost. As such, no NO SNAKING option could exist.

In a different world where Nintendo changed the way drift boosting worked it wouldn't be an issue.

A fundamental mechanic of the game has a particular trait that allows it to be exploited. It would be necessary to cripple that mechanic in order to rid the game of any chance of snaking. But then you get what someone else mentioned, which is the inability to effectively maneuver certain courses.

TheGreatDave said:
Because unless you want to stop people being able to powerslide around corners more than once you kinda have to.
Is the mini-turbo so essential to the gameplay? Is it really that important to be able to mini turbo more than once every five seconds?

Green Shinobi said:
Is the mini-turbo so essential to the gameplay? Is it really that important to be able to mini turbo more than once every five seconds?

Well, I'd say so. Unless you never had a long corner.

TheGreatDave said:
Well, I'd say so. Unless you never had a long corner.
Maybe if they made it so you could only get consecutive mini-turbos in the same direction or something, that could work. So you couldn't slide right, then left, then right, then left to get endless boosts on straightaways.

Green Shinobi said:
Maybe if they made it so you could only get consecutive mini-turbos in the same direction or something, that could work. So you couldn't slide right, then left, then right, then left to get endless boosts on straightaways.

To be honest I think Lobster is on the right track, it may be difficult to snake with motion controls anyway, so that could take care of it for us.

Top Bottom