• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Miyamoto interview: FZero and the origin of Link

Madao

heh. they didn't even release the games with track editors outside japan and he claims the series is maxed out? give us F-Zero X + EK remastered in 3D and with online mode added and then we can talk about the series being maxed out.
Mario Kart has changed less in 7 games than F-Zero did in the jump from FZSNES to FZX. even the Zelda games have less changes between installments than FZSNES -> FZX.
these guys are just sweeping it under the rug because it can't sell a few millions with downgraded sequels like MK or Zelda.

we really need the new talent take a stab at F-Zero because the old guys don't give a damn anymore.

Cade

It didn't change from iteration to iteration? I don't think there's been a single sci-fi racer as good as GX in ANY franchise. Hell, for me personally, there hasn't been a better racing game in any other franchise at all.

EDIT: Heh, saw that trollin' above. On the off chance that guy is serious, bother to play the games before commenting. No one will pretend F-Zero sells like crazy, but it's pretty far from generic, certainly in the gameplay department.

Nobody said anything about sales, and I can either be serious and haven't played them, or not serious and have? Either way, I've played bits and pieces of the series and it's just not anything special. I don't think I've seen such a diehard fanbase for such a completely throwaway series since.. ever. Especially not for a Nintendo IP, I mean I thought Metroid fans were bad about the self-pity.

daxy

Really, people complain that Nintendo makes the same games over and over, but that's just what people want from them. People want more F-Zero (add online, make it HD!), more Pikmin, more Mario. Can't really complain if they're delivering just that.

Anyway, Nintendo pls. More F-Zero.

Wow we need a game with future link NOW.

v1oPp.png

Stewox

Banned
I kinda get what he's saying.

F-Zero on the SNES was limited, F-Zero on the N64 was an improvement with 4 Player Support and tons of tracks, F-Zero on the GC topped it off.

There's really only so much innovation you can put into it - Of course you could make yet another great, polished F-Zero, but I guess Miyamoto wants to see some innovative stuff in his games. Yet another F-Zero GX in HD probably wouldn't be extremely exciting to develop.

Zelda is a goldmine in so far that you COULD do pretty much anything - it's an adventure game, it has RPG elements, you can explore countless environments, you can come up with insane puzzles, etc. - Meaning: The freaking Portal Gun could be one single tool in Zelda. You could keep developing that formula until the end of time and still come up with new ideas.

Doesn't mean they did that with the previous iterations, but the chance is there.

They haven't really topped off WaveRace yet... BlueStorm was more of a step backwards. GODDAMN.

There is that exact potential in F-zero challenge missions, save jody from powerplant was so freaking hard on hardert diff, but that kept me playing,

Stewox

Banned
First Wipeout and now Miyamoto questioning why we want more fzero =(

All those story CG in fzero gx were a waste mostly. If all they had was a text bubble pop up before and after the race then I would be completely fine with that. I did like the mission stuff where you had to catch that samurai and avoid falling rocks, or escaping the exploding building while slipping through the closing gates. Would love to out run a flood, earthquake, or misslies all done more convincingly with more powerful modern hardware. They should continue to get more creative with the borders of the track too. The racing was great in GX as far as AI.

I would want more mission stuff, amazing locations that surprise me, more effects/more attention to detail, and a better soundtrack than GX. I think that if they add a mechanic that would temporary modify your boost or spin attack range regardless of vehicle stats would add something new to the mix. Another thing is the graphics, game should have us racing into clouds and the racers behind us can see our exhaust cutting the fog, even to the point to where if you boost in the cloud/fog it clears a large bubble behind you. Last is that they can add traps and multiple paths that depending on the vehicle type may or may not benefit you. Okay so announce it next year and all is forgiven Nintendo.

Yes, yes, yes.

Stewox

Banned
Instead of guns maybe some wacky type of missiles, like , I dunno, tortoise shells? Then they could have a rear weapon that lays down oil slicks or, hahaha, even banana peels. Make the cars and graphics a bit more kid friendly too and put some Nintendo characters in there to appeal to fans. Crazy stuff, I know, but it just might work.

Kid friendly graphics?, excuse me:

whats-wrong-with-you-Reggie-Fils-Aime-my-body-is-ready-other-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1290.gif

Does this thread sound like it's full of casuals to you? Literally, if I didn't played more than 1000 hours of F-Zero GX, god take me away now.

Tarin02543

3b3757_2901001.jpg

Too be honest, I think Miyamoto is losing touch with the current state of the gaming industry. Everything he does seems so strange and disconnected.

I WANT THAT ZELDA GAME NOOOOWWWW

Oh I must have missed the part in that where the Triforce was made of COMPUTER CHIPS.

He's not talking about Link when he's 10 and Link when he's 18. He's talking about Link traveling into the DISTANT FUTURE where there is TECHNOLOGY. THAT has not been done before and it sounds fucking AWESOME.

Dunan

About FZero, he's surprised players want more of this series. The franchise hasn't evolved a lot for him and people should have grown tired of it.

You know what I'm tired of? Not having a new F-Zero game, that's what I'm tired of!

F-Zero GX was amazing. Even if you don't want to create something totally new that has "evolved a lot for you", just make a few dozen more GX-like tracks in an "F-Zero GX-2" and your fans will be happy.

Madao

Demon/Dark Souls are also hard as fuck and people love them. A new F-Zero as challenging as GX would be awesome.

they really need to put in a tutorial in the game. i've seen a lot of people play for the first time play wrong because there's nothing that tells you how to do things in the game.
the second and third GBA games had a tutorial of sorts (ironically, it was useless for them since those 2 were the easiest games of the series)

Rafaelcsa

The problem here is simply a game philosophy one. Most people in this thread are asking for a new F-Zero game just to add features (online, 1080p, level editor, bajillion racers, etc). Miyamoto, and the traditional guys at Nintendo, don't think in terms of features. They think in terms of new gameplay. They need to realize what new potential gameplay is possible out of F-Zero. I don't see anyone discussing that on this thread.

Koren

I understand him basically saying that F-Zero GX is already perfection - but sometimes gamers just want more of a good thing.
In fact, I'd gladly settle for just a port of Gx with two additional cups and a clean 1080p 60Hz display. Or even Gx as a downloadable game, fine for me (put new cups as DLC, I'd even double-dip gladly).

The fact is we won't be able to play F-Zero with Wii U animore (or last Wii models, btw).

I understand its arguments well, and I agree that they can't add much originality to the formula (it's fine for other racers and developpers, last GT, Wipeout, Forza and cie don't bring much new ideas either, and it's the same for many other genres, but Nintendo don't play everyone game). I don't care if they outsource it for the same reason (Sega again would be fine). But it would be sad it the only option for people loving futuristic racers is playing the clones which are often not as good.

Miyamoto's aight, but I can't believe he can continue to watch Mario Kart after Mario Kart be made, with very little innovation to speak of, while saying that F-Zero hasn't grown much. Just the fact that F-Zero would lend itself well to Wii U better than Mario Kart ever would, thanks to how well the visuals could shine and how well the online play would be.

Forkball

Didn't Miyamoto name him Link because he wanted the player to "link" with the character by inputting their own name?

Also scifi Zelda could happen I guess.

Madao

In fact, I'd gladly settle for just a port of Gx with two additional cups and a clean 1080p 60Hz display. Or even Gx as a downloadable game, fine for me (put new cups as DLC, I'd even double-dip gladly).

The fact is we won't be able to play F-Zero with Wii U animore (or last Wii models, btw).

I understand its arguments well, and I agree that they can't add much originality to the formula (it's fine for other racers and developpers, last GT, Wipeout, Forza and cie don't bring much new ideas either, and it's the same for many other genres, but Nintendo don't play everyone game). I don't care if they outsource it for the same reason (Sega again would be fine). But it would be sad it the only option for people loving futuristic racers is playing the clones which are often not as good.

the real problem is, and has always been, sales. they just can't figure out a way to make f-zero sell millions like mario kart.

it isn't even about innovation or gameplay. FZX was the only time in the whole series that there was a massive change to the way the game played. GX used the exact same gameplay as X with much better visuals and extra flair and people were happy with that.

fans are basically asking for the same step up again and nintendo is just being hypocrites by not saying outright that the reason they don't want to make a new game is the sales. Mario Kart's step ups are the same ever since it went 3D and the gameplay has remained basically the same from MK64 to MK7 (just different powerslides and vehicles)
i would even bet that was the reason they outsourced it in the first place. have someone else make the game and lose money. nintendo themselves only made FZSNES and FZX and let other poeple handle the rest after that. that's also a good reason why Climax recycled so much from GPL.

true Gek

Sorry Nintendo but I prefer much more a new F-Zero game than another New Super Mario Bros title. Or another Mario Kart Title. Or Another Mario Party Title. Or another Animal Crossing title.... >_>

Davey Cakes

Well maybe if Nintendo pulls another "Sin and Punishment 2" for the core gamers, then F-Zero will be the pick. Otherwise, if it isn't going to sell then it's not worth their time.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Ok, after my fanboy post about a captain falcon action adventure, here's a serious idea.

How about virtually endless customization, to the point where there emerges a kind of sandbox meta-game about finding new combinations of parts and creative, crazy designs that push the meaning of an F-zero "racer" to its limit?
All the while discovering bizarre designs that can achieve greater and greater speed, acceleration, etc.

Anybody play the game Kerbal Space Program?

Imagine a mode where you design the craziest tracks you can imagine and upload them online, challenging others to design racers that can beat your track in a certain time, and then they can upload their victory laps to the network and so on, creating a sort of "cat and mouse" dynamic between racers and track designers.

It would be like the early days of aviation where everyone was trying to get a piece of the pie, with glorious and ridiculous designs abound. Or the space race era, or the race to break the sound barrier.

This would basically distill F-Zero down to its very essence.

How about a new F-Zero with a single player story mode that has you adventuring in a futuristic cyber-world (like the one in GX) doing various missions that involve solving crimes and fighting punks, but have it all tied up by racing in a way that is seamless and makes the racing relevant to the story?

Kind of like how we were supposed to be emotionally invested in the podracing of episode 1 because winning the race was crucial to the story?

The game could also benefit from some RPG elements like upgrading weapons and vehicle parts, and meeting bizarre and cool alien npcs on the way.

There would also be a multiplayer mode that revolves solely around racing and is online, and a "free play" mode where you just race against AI and edit tracks and vehicles..

Kind of like a Nintendo version of the original Speed Racer cartoon...
(I haven't played Rage, but maybe that's also a similar template?)

I'd rather have not a new iteration of my favourite racing series than one of your travesties >.<. F-Zero has to stay arcady and skill orientated, not some stupid gimmick game. So what to demand for a new game in the series? An even higher speed, 60fps, five-player local multiplayer, absolute pure racing and ramming as in GX and X, a level editor as in X Expansion Pack, a shitton of new courses, online multiplayer, better graphics. Nothing more is needed. I could do without the online part, too.

Taker666

I'd be pretty happy if they just release FZero GX HD, added online..and a track creation tool.

I still don't know why there hasn't be a track editor for Mario Kart yet. I'd have thought that was a no brainer since the touchscreen arrived with the DS.

Model 500

Miyamoto said:
"I thought people had grown weary of it. I'd like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendoland's FZero minigame.
I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people: Why FZero? What do you want that we haven't done before?"

Wot?

• Marginally improved graphics/effects
  • 32 player online multiplayer at 1080p60fps
  • 5 player local multiplayer at 720p60fps
  • Minor vehicle customization and decal painting via the Wii U gamepad
  • Track editor
  • A bunch of cups ranging from really easy difficulty to GX-levels of hardcore (and more)

If they have some time and money over:

• Fully-fledged story mode with racing, animated cutscenes, and 2D-sidescrolling beat-em-up levels.
  • Said 2D-sidescrolling beat-em-up game mode for local/online MP.

Jethro

My idea since 10 years. Ask Rockstar for F-Zero: Mute City Stories. Mission based Sandbox game with a full fledged out Racing part.

Trojan X

Banned
I don't want Nintendo to make a new F-Zero. Sega should.

That's the problem. I'm not saying this is the reason but I wouldn't be surprised if there haven't been another been another F-Zero for the difficulty of topping what SEGA AM2 did with FZero AX/GX. What SEGA AM2 did to the game was incredible. So I'm not surprised why there haven't been another FZero for such a long period of time, but I am surprised why Nintendo haven't re-release FZero GX on the Wii or even announce an 1.5 HD version for the Wii-U.

The real reason is F-Zero doesn't sell.

Anyway, I loved GX and it was my favorite GameCube game, but I really don't care for a HD remaster or whatever. I don't want to go crazy again beating the missions on Very Hard.

Plus, it's the only game in the franchise I played for a significant amount, so I still have the others if I want more F-Zero. Though the fact that the 64DD is so expensive makes hesitant to get into X, I want to play the full version dammit! Now that would be a good use for the Wii U VC.

• Marginally improved graphics/effects
  • 32 player online multiplayer at 1080p60fps
  • 5 player local multiplayer at 720p60fps
  • Minor vehicle customization and decal painting via the Wii U gamepad
  • Track editor
  • A bunch of cups ranging from really easy difficulty to GX-levels of hardcore (and more)

If they have some time and money over:

• Fully-fledged story mode with racing, animated cutscenes, and 2D-sidescrolling beat-em-up levels.

Pretty much this. Just because the game is close to mechanically perfect doesn't mean there are things you can improve.

Edit: Add those things to the game and it will be perfect and i won't ever need a sequel. GX is just missing a few things that are holding it back.

I wonder if these slightly unusual answers come down to translation. I did hear once that the translators tend to modify the answers to whatever the company line is (Miyamoto is aware).

I still don't know why there hasn't be a track editor for Mario Kart yet. I'd have thought that was a no brainer since the touchscreen arrived with the DS.
Diddy Kong Racing does what Mario Kart.
Kart=Can't...sorry

Stewox

Banned
The problem here is simply a game philosophy one. Most people in this thread are asking for a new F-Zero game just to add features (online, 1080p, level editor, bajillion racers, etc). Miyamoto, and the traditional guys at Nintendo, don't think in terms of features. They think in terms of new gameplay. They need to realize what new potential gameplay is possible out of F-Zero. I don't see anyone discussing that on this thread.

I don't want anything changed, it wouldn't be F-Zero any more, it would be a derivative with a name plasted on for brand recognition, but i wouldn't buy that. Look what EA did to C&C.

We want further perfection, no major compromises in gameplay or difficulty, just make it deeper, but no weapons and other weird ideas copycat from other racers, that idea is stupid, from some comments on sites, i don't want this to feel like mario kart.

I don't want some part trading and other mmo f2p pay2win bullcrap.

Track editor and more parts unlocks, deeper garage cosmetic customisation, easter eggs, 32-bit color mixing, custom decals, but no tons of technical stats, game based on skill not some weird gameplay advantage, no leveling either(xp), no crappy x360-style worthless achievements, good old unlocks

while we could unlock simple level editor various premade pieces(background, boost, mines, jumps, track terrain deformation maybe, customizable vehicle/track physics and item property parameters, etc) and share custom tracks online, nintendo could perfectly fit their DLC for story challenge mission mode wich would be complex tracks with new custom art, background models, active("alive") scenery, environment set pieces.(amazon, ice mountain, asteroid belt, nebula, supernova, blackhole)

That way DLC would be optional, would not affect multiplayer, no pay2win.

Pro opinion :p

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
That's the whole problem about Nintendo's philosophy about gaming and graphics right there.

To someone like me, simply giving FZero a whole immersion and spectacular boost IS changing the game's experience, cause its part of it...

It's funny as this comment from Shige reveals the exact reason Nintendo is disconnected with a part of the gaming market, and with the whole process of console generation as it was before the Wii.

This doesn't make sense. FZero sold like dogshit. What do you expect Nintendo to think? Why is it some sign of obliviousness that Nintendo saw a series struggling with sales and reasoned that few people wanted it anymore? What other benchmark could they possibly care about?

It's like nobody comprehends the amount of resources it takes to make a modern full-scale game anymore. Nintendo probably decided the low returns on FZero were an indication that the market just wasn't there anymore, and looking at the sales, who could blame them?

If enough interviewer guys ask him enough times, it'll eventually get made because he'll think thats what the people want.

Like Metroid Prime, Kid Icarus and Pikmin 3 etc.

Then when those are on the way he'll think ok that should make them happy for a few days at least.

NEO0MJ

Please leave Rockstar away from every franchises but their own.

Yeah. Frankly, I can only see P* doing justice to an off-vehicle F-Zero game, the Cap always felt like he belonged in an over the top action game...and no racing sections!

I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people: Why FZero? What do you want that we haven't done before?
Nothing, we want more of the same. None of the new Mario Kart or NSMB games offer anything to justify their existence beyond "more of the same, but on a different console", so why the hell can't we get that for F-Zero? I mean god, it has been almost a decade since GX - I'd be happy with a HD version of GX with online play at this point.

Sometimes I have to question why Miyamoto still has such a prominent role at Nintendo, his comments and decisions over the last few years have been increasingly baffling.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sometimes I have to question why Miyamoto still has such a prominent role at Nintendo, his comments and decisions over the last few years have been increasingly baffling.

I'm willing to bet he still has clout because his input is important in most of the ways fans rarely see, and don't argue over.

People flip when Miyamoto makes one comment about F-Zero or the tri-force symbol, and start feeding into narratives about how Miyamoto is a stupid old man who is keeping us from having video games.

Meanwhile, when it comes to actually developing games, Miyamoto encourages changes in Mario Galaxy that made it better, more strategic, and more difficult, as one example. He'll get painted as the devil because someone said he came up with the blowing mechanic in Donkey Kong Country Returns, but I'm willing to bet behind the scenes there are a hundred other decisions and ideas that were crucial to a game turning out well that can be attributed to Miyamoto's experience.

If anything, I feel the one objective criticism of Miyamoto's philosophies that can be singled out from real remarks by actual Nintendo employees, is that he's so fixated on every game having a single perfect degree of challenge that he probably errs on the side of making games too easy for the lifelong hardcore players. Since at a certain point it's not possible to insure that adults can be severely challenged by something without locking out kids.

Yet that's a fairly nuanced issue of balance tuning, and Miyamoto still has a solid point in his court there - that the strength of Nintendo games is their universal appeal.

Meanwhile out on the Internet, the man gets turned into an angel or a demon depending on which clique of fans you read. These days, probably more often a demon since the narrative that Nintendo is stupid and can't make games anymore is strong with the more extreme fans, who seem to feel Nintendo has set out to personally insult them.

Bravocado

I kinda understand what he means about F-Zero. I love the games, but they can all be described the same way: very fast, very difficult futuristic racing game with oddball drivers. Every iteration of the game is basically just polishing and pushing that same formula to it's limitations. One could argue that, aside from online play and HD graphics, GX was the pinnacle of FZ design. Making another game would simply be a rehash, and I don't know if it lends itself well to any of Nintendo's classic gimmicks (power ups, costumes, space exploration, the baby, etc).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'd be surprised too, Miyamoto, given F-Zero sales. Maybe GX will receive an HD Wii U port with online play. That would be fine by me.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Demon/Dark Souls are also hard as fuck and people love them. A new F-Zero as challenging as GX would be awesome.
I think part of the reason GX didn't succeed the way the Souls games did is due to the lack of a community. Games like Monster Hunter and Dark/Demon's Souls are able to achieve a critical-mass following these days due to the pervasiveness of youtube and gaming websites and forums. This was less common ten years ago when GX released, and the fact that most people owned a PS2 rather than a Gamecube certainly didn't help, and neither did the GC's complete lack of connectivity..

Interestingly, the element of making a communal effort to "beat" a game used to be high on Nintendo's priority, as they (correctly in my opinion) saw it as a way to make gaming a social pass-time, which in turn would allow it to be more readily accepted by society instead of being perceived as contributing to an unhealthy lifestyle. This can be seen even back in the 80s or early 90s when Miyamoto would speak of his desire for players of Zelda to share tips and secrets with each other around the playground.

Personally I believe this is also part of the reason they were against internet connectivity as they saw it as destructive to their philosophy of bringing people physically together, which in their defense is indeed considered a "healthier" kind of socialization by traditional opinion. Perhaps the fact that this kind of physical social integration worked for them in Japan gave them reason to believe it should work globally, but the truth is Japan is in a unique position in this case.

By now I do think they should have realized that virtual socializing isn't inherently unhealthy and made moves to advance their position in this area. Hopefully the success of such "communal" games has opened their eyes to the possibilities.

I'd rather have not a new iteration of my favourite racing series than one of your travesties >.<. F-Zero has to stay arcady and skill orientated, not some stupid gimmick game. So what to demand for a new game in the series? An even higher speed, 60fps, five-player local multiplayer, absolute pure racing and ramming as in GX and X, a level editor as in X Expansion Pack, a shitton of new courses, online multiplayer, better graphics. Nothing more is needed. I could do without the online part, too.

I don't see my ideas being terribly different from yours, especially my second idea (the one about customization)...
I too would be happy with only the improvements you have mentioned, but it has already been stated multiple times in this thread that Nintendo are less enthusiastic about incremental improvements when the core concept isn't massively popular.

My attempt was to create an idea that would both appeal to gamers as well as the developers inside Nintendo. In the case of my second idea (which I think is a better candidate than the first anyway) I was trying to describe a new kind of system that would allow players to experience the feeling of "working together to achieve a nearly impossible goal", and also "challenging and pushing each other to constantly improve".

The concept is what I hope would excite Nintendo as they are all about finding and sharing creative and skillful solutions to their games (just look at all the Mario playthroughs!)

It doesn't have to be about customization per se, but it should have elements that the community can continue to push years after the game is released, as well as an environment that is conductive towards experienced players helping out newer ones.

Surely we can agree on this.

Oh I must have missed the part in that where the Triforce was made of COMPUTER CHIPS.

He's not talking about Link when he's 10 and Link when he's 18. He's talking about Link traveling into the DISTANT FUTURE where there is TECHNOLOGY. THAT has not been done before and it sounds fucking AWESOME.

Future tech? Ah, I read you loud and clear.

SOs25.png

Bgamer90

Banned
Come on Miyamoto... just admit that F-Zero isn't that popular and/or doesn't sell as well as the other Nintendo games.

Find it hilarious that he's "shocked" and acting like everything has been done already like F-Zero can't get any better. The same thing he said about F-Zero could be said about Mario Kart.

Top Bottom