• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Miyamoto interview: FZero and the origin of Link

ASIS

Metroid - It's good to hear Nintendo haven't given up on the series. The term "Action" could be interpreted in a lot of different ways. He did use the word "beautiful" though, so this to me means it will be a graphical showcase. That's a pretty stong hint that Retro Studios will be involved imo.

I'm really surprised people actually doubt the existence of Metroid. Aren't there more Metroid titles released in the past 10 years than Zelda titles?

Stewox

Banned
The truth is he's surprised so many people want F-Zero because after pouring a shit ton of money into GX the game basically flopped. I can pretty much gurantee you a full scale production F-Zero on Wii U would not sell that well. Of course that Nintendo Land minigame looks horrendous

WiiU is not GCN, the game deserves another chance, huge respect, this genre needs multiplayer also to achieve full potential,

WiiU is not GCN, the game deserves another chance, this genre needs multiplayer also

Yep

ibltHlIAFtLH8y.gif

Youre all missing the point.

If a game series is not going to change much from iteration from iteration, it better make a shitload of money.

F-Zero does neither.
Sadly this.
F-Zero's maximum potential has already been reached. The game was called Wipeout HD.
And... what?

From minor mechanics to art styles these games are pretty far apart from one another.

Both great games, but scratch the itch in different ways.

And I agree with the Wut? about Link.

I thought his creation had been explained a long time ago.

That's the slowest F-Zero anything I've ever seen. Looks slower than 50cc Mario Kart.

Got to dumb it down to keep the casual players happy.

You're not allowed to have anything that's a challenge.

Any faster than a snail's pace and they'll be scraping along the side of the track for the whole lap.

WiiU is not GCN, the game deserves another chance, huge respect, this genre needs multiplayer also to achieve full potential,

And today's market is not yesterday's market especially for arcade racers. Also you guys do realize a sequel probably wouldn't live up to GX since Amusement Division wouldn't be developing. F-Zero was the perfect style of game for them.

Edit: I always forget how smooth GX was. Hopefully at the very least we get a HD remake of GX with 16 player online. I would honestly be satisfied as GX is pretty much perfection.

SmithnCo

Sure it's pretty but I never got the driving part of any FZero game. I suck at them. I don't know how to handle those sharp bends. I think I'll enjoy very much Captain's Falcon Twister Race, the way you have to handle the obstacles seem fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsiJOSnS5o

FZero GX is too hardcore even for the hardcore.

Knowing the track layout and using the two levels of drift is immensely satisfying, especially when you have a good muscle memory for it.

The fact that Miyamoto thinks fans will appreciate Twister Race is hilarious.

jaypah

Well as a non-FZero fan, I agree with him. But it's easy to see that online would be a sufficient addition to the franchise.

It's a racing game. New tracks are kind of a no bariner. It's not like people are going to ask that they make it an MMO.

zsidane

While I agree with him that F Zero GX was perfection; I still want an HD F Zero with Online multiplayer, more story (how about other characters instead of only Falcom?) and as special bonus F Zero X in 1080p ^^

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Regardless of Miyamoto's comments, I'm surprised at the level of complaining about the F-Zero attraction in Nintendoland.

Why does everyone want it to literally be a "real" F-Zero race? It's a wind up toy game.

It's like criticizing the Donkey Kong game for not playing anything like actual Donkey Kong, Mario Chase for failing to be a 3D Mario, and Battle Quest for not being a proper Zelda.

Ezalc

While I agree with him that F Zero GX was perfection; I still want an HD F Zero with Online multiplayer, more story (how about other characters instead of only Falcom?) and as special bonus F Zero X in 1080p ^^

Did you somehow miss the giant cast of characters in both X and GX? Octoman only has one of the best themes ever man.

F-ZERO HERO: Mikami returns to Platinum to make this spiritual successor to God Hand starring Captain Falcon. GOTF.

Bleepey

- HD graphics
- Online mode
- New tracks

really, that's all you need to add after that many years :)

Add more story mode tracks and easier difficulty levels for the effeminate man-children that couldn't unlock the AX tracks like the sexy,-rugged gaming-gods like yours truly.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Miyamoto is surprised that people want more F-Zero. Fucking Nintendo these days.

Well, Miyamoto doesn't have the final say on what's made or not. Especially these days, right? I can still see an updated GX for Wii U. Perhaps not a new game yet, but that should be enough for now.

But I would probably want more a new Wave Race or Stunt Race. I mean, there's no love for Stunt Race FX.

Oersted

The real question is: Has Miyamoto still anything to say regarding a possible FZero? Didn´t he step down? Who is the guy in charge?

orioto

Good Art™
That's the whole problem about Nintendo's philosophy about gaming and graphics right there.

To someone like me, simply giving FZero a whole immersion and spectacular boost IS changing the game's experience, cause its part of it...

It's funny as this comment from Shige reveals the exact reason Nintendo is disconnected with a part of the gaming market, and with the whole process of console generation as it was before the Wii.

Y U WANT MO F-ZERO? IT'S THE SAME

BUT ZELDA IS SO PHRESH AND SO CLEAN

I kinda get what he's saying.

F-Zero on the SNES was limited, F-Zero on the N64 was an improvement with 4 Player Support and tons of tracks, F-Zero on the GC topped it off.

There's really only so much innovation you can put into it - Of course you could make yet another great, polished F-Zero, but I guess Miyamoto wants to see some innovative stuff in his games. Yet another F-Zero GX in HD probably wouldn't be extremely exciting to develop.

Zelda is a goldmine in so far that you COULD do pretty much anything - it's an adventure game, it has RPG elements, you can explore countless environments, you can come up with insane puzzles, etc. - Meaning: The freaking Portal Gun could be one single tool in Zelda. You could keep developing that formula until the end of time and still come up with new ideas.

Doesn't mean they did that with the previous iterations, but the chance is there.

They haven't really topped off WaveRace yet... BlueStorm was more of a step backwards. GODDAMN.

Regardless of Miyamoto's comments, I'm surprised at the level of complaining about the F-Zero attraction in Nintendoland.

Why does everyone want it to literally be a "real" F-Zero race? It's a wind up toy game.

It's like criticizing the Donkey Kong game for not playing anything like actual Donkey Kong, Mario Chase for failing to be a 3D Mario, and Battle Quest for not being a proper Zelda.

Maybe it's because they figure this is the only chance they've got at seeing anything F-Zero related in the next few years, I think I might be onto something.

Shit, I didn't even know F-Zero GX bombed so hard. I remember me and a friend of mine checking the retail store every day to see if copies of the game arrived because the first batch was apparently sold out.

MDX

Youre all missing the point.

If a game series is not going to change much from iteration from iteration, it better make a shitload of money.

F-Zero does neither.

You got a point.
But I would say, of course Nintendo is making a FZero game.
Miyamoto is just being coy.

Stewox

Banned
Let's see, F-Zero X evolved the series in a shitload of ways, 60 FPS with 30 visible cars for one. GX brought the hardcore element into the series and was pretty fucking amazing, it also had story (Rage) mode with amazingly cheesy cinematics.

What I want is UX or 3DX or whatever with MORE story, MORE campy cutscenes.

Basically, Miyamoto, F-Zero is so good I simply want more of it. Now, if the interviewer had balls, he'd draw a comparison to Mario Kart.

Edit: Then again, just because Miyamoto doesn't see the appeal of F-Zero doesn't mean the series is dead. Maybe he simply doesn't like hardcore racing games.

cant agree more, i saw all the perfection and sales comments, yeah i figured , pity. Surprised a lot of gaf here has good understanding what f-zero needs for potential, i haven't read posts before writing my list, couldn't resist, looking back now.

Man, we could do aka "operation rainfall" and explain why should they give another chance, with wiiu online and HD plus aiming for 75fps* could make what franchise needed to get exposure, and get results from as much polls in eu countries forums. And send FAX to Shibata hehe

I'll agree that it would be difficult to top perfection, so why not port F-Zero GX to Wii U with HD and online? Sometimes you can just give us more of the same, Nintendo. This is one of those times. :'(

Added to OP:
- Not a confirmation or anything but here's what he answered to the question: what do you see for the Metroid franchise on Wii U: something like Metroid Prime, Metroid Other M or a third way?
Since Wii U is a HD console with more hardware power, what we can naturally think about is a beautiful HD action game (Huge smile, meaning he won't say more).

Thats interesting. Hopefully it will be a guided, maybe even onrails experience, where we get to learn even more about her relationship with Adam.

18-Volt

Oh, come on now Miyamoto. Just admit that you don't want to work on no more than two series: Super Mario and Legend of Zelda. It took us years to convince you to make another Pikmin, now you need to be convinced to make a new F-zero?

I guess it's past the time you retired.

disco

That's the whole problem about Nintendo's philosophy about gaming and graphics right there.

To someone like me, simply giving FZero a whole immersion and spectacular boost IS changing the game's experience, cause its part of it...

It's funny as this comment from Shige reveals the exact reason Nintendo is disconnected with a part of the gaming market, and with the whole process of console generation as it was before the Wii.

They just simply aren't global. They might be listening at home but in the West...

If only Nintendo had the Western development strength Sony first party has. Imagine that. AAA game every 2 months !

Linkup

First Wipeout and now Miyamoto questioning why we want more fzero =(

All those story CG in fzero gx were a waste mostly. If all they had was a text bubble pop up before and after the race then I would be completely fine with that. I did like the mission stuff where you had to catch that samurai and avoid falling rocks, or escaping the exploding building while slipping through the closing gates. Would love to out run a flood, earthquake, or misslies all done more convincingly with more powerful modern hardware. They should continue to get more creative with the borders of the track too. The racing was great in GX as far as AI.

I would want more mission stuff, amazing locations that surprise me, more effects/more attention to detail, and a better soundtrack than GX. I think that if they add a mechanic that would temporary modify your boost or spin attack range regardless of vehicle stats would add something new to the mix. Another thing is the graphics, game should have us racing into clouds and the racers behind us can see our exhaust cutting the fog, even to the point to where if you boost in the cloud/fog it clears a large bubble behind you. Last is that they can add traps and multiple paths that depending on the vehicle type may or may not benefit you. Okay so announce it next year and all is forgiven Nintendo.

Probably because I was freaking fourteen years old when I played the last F-Zero game. You'd bet your sweet ass that Mario or Zelda fans would want a genuine level if they haven't seen a real entry in either of those series for an entire decade.
I'll agree that it would be difficult to top perfection, so why not port F-Zero GX to Wii U with HD and online? Sometimes you can just give us more of the same, Nintendo. This is one of those times. :'(
They should just do this with Melee and F-Zero. All we need is 1080p native, 60FPS, 4xAA/AF, 5.1 digital and online. I would never complain about a new smash or the lack of F-zero after that.

Top Bottom