• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Miyamoto interview: FZero and the origin of Link

The truth is he's surprised so many people want F-Zero because after pouring a shit ton of money into GX the game basically flopped. I can pretty much gurantee you a full scale production F-Zero on Wii U would not sell that well. Of course that Nintendo Land minigame looks horrendous

There goes ,,They clearly want to reintroduce F-Zero as a series with these Nintendoland crap minigames!!''.
At least give me a new racing game by Monster Games in HD instead.

Ezalc

Miyamoto: :eyes open wide: I am really pleased to hear Twitter's opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has little evolved.
I thought people had grown weary of it. I'd like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendoland's FZero minigame.
I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people: Why FZero? What do you want that we haven't done before?

GLORIOUS 30 PERSON ONLINE RACING AT 60FPS IN 1080P.

If you just give me GX with this I don't even need anything else man. Just make a HD GX with online and I'm happy.

How can we have "grown weary" of F-Zero when there hasn't been an installment in 8+ years?

If they want to do something different with F-Zero, play up the story and characters like they did in GX/AX, but make it even more integral to the game. Why bother making all these funky characters if we almost never get to see them?

I'd be totally down with a Captain Falcon bounty hunting spin-off too.

Richie

What's "F-Zero"? NintendoLand has an attraction called Captain Falcon's Twister Race, if that's what you mean. You know, like from Super Smash Bros!

I'll be damned, that and Octopus Dance are the lone attractions that don't refer to their respective franchise by name. Perhaps Takamaru's Ninja Castle too. This doesn't necessarily have to be indicative of anything, but it is odd now that you mention it.

Let's look at Miyamoto's response taking CaVaYeRo's uploaded interview from not long ago. There he unveiled his philosophy regarding game-makin'. What does Miyamoto look at when deciding what game to focus on next?

1) Something no one's ever done before.
2) Something that is going to sell a lot at the time.
3) Something that failed in the past, and wants to give a second chance to.

From his perspective, F-Zero's been done before, and we know it hasn't turned the world on fire sales-wise.
The third option would be the closest for Miyamoto to consider revisiting the series, but it doesn't seem his heart's on it.

Seems clear he just isn't much of a fan of the franchise.

Bigger news to me is that he seemingly confirms metroid, guessing based on the answer in the vein of Prime.

Chittagong

Gold Member
They have no idea that people want a new F-Zero because they are all the same anyway, Link's look is based on Peter Pan, and Triforce was meant to be an electronic device with the character as the conduit, hence the name Link...?

Bwhahahaha, besides choking of laughter/tears, I appreciate the honesty and openness, but not sure if these interviews are helping Nintendo

daakusedo

I have patience. And in the minigame, blue falcon seems to handle more like x than gx which is a good thing to follow if they dare to finally develop a new one.

Zelda planned as a past and future travel game with the latter totally scraped is also Iwata laughs material.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
- Link sprite was designed by Takashi Tezuka. Like Mario, they wanted a character that would be recognizable from his sword and shield so they thought of a long hat and long ears and went into the direction of an elf. At the time, when you said long ears you thought of Peter Pan and as he's a Disney fan, they drew inspiration from it.

Suspected this for ages. I think 1986 was the last year Shigeru Miyamoto physically designed anything. This year birthed the era of dictator Miyamoto. Each couple of years the torch passing to another generation. Miyamoto---->Tezuka---->Konno, Eguchi, Yoichi Yamada ---> Aonuma, Usui, Koizumi -----> New Gen.

It's weird that he feels F-Zero has hit this creative slump and as opposed to what. The Animal Crossing series? New Super Mario Bros. series? What is his reasoning.

jwhit28

F-zero, Waverace, 1080, Excitebike, they all seem like low risk, low cost games that would show off HD beautifully and grab the hardcore gamer they keep talking about wanting back.

Screenboy

It's scary that he/Nintendo don't know what they have, Nintendo have so many AAA games/franchises that its like they don't know what to do with them. Other companies would dream of having just one of the AAA games at their disposal (and on a different note would maybe whore the shit out of them...) and Nintendo/Miyamoto seem to leave the fans in the dark by leaving them on the shelf!

How can one interview reflect the views of the gaming community/fanbase?

clemenx

Banned
Why so many people want F-Zero, and still ends up selling badly? There's a reason why they are cautious of making them.

Not many people want F-Zero. Unless your perspective of people is only Neogaf :p

But I agree, they're not topping F-Zero GX. Just slap that game on Wii U and make it HD with Online.

Suspected this for ages. I think 1986 was the last year Shigeru Miyamoto physically designed anything. This year birthed the era of dictator Miyamoto. Each couple of years the torch passing to another generation. Miyamoto---->Tezuka---->Konno, Eguchi, Yoichi Yamada ---> Aonuma, Usui, Koizumi -----> New Gen.

It's weird that he feels F-Zero has hit this creative slump and as opposed to what. The Animal Crossing series? New Super Mario Bros. series? What is his reasoning.

Except for Pikmin I guess.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Except for Pikmin I guess.

He suggested some ideas verbally as always. But he was no where near a development kit designing creatures in Maya or wireframing levels. I mean it's not even realistic to expect that one. Guys who designed pixels on the NES weren't designing 3D games at Nintendo.

It's scary that he/Nintendo don't know what they have, Nintendo have so many AAA games/franchises that its like they don't know what to do with them. Other companies would dream of having just one of the AAA games at their disposal (and on a different note would maybe whore the shit out of them...) and Nintendo/Miyamoto seem to leave the fans in the dark by leaving them on the shelf!

F-Zero is not a AAA franchise. Not even close. Most publishers wouldn't even think of making a game like it in today's market.

God... I'm tired of Miyamoto being the go to source for anything Nintendo. I don't want his opinion on a new F-Zero, Smash, etc. They've got great people for all their games. He can make his own projects that I'll probably enjoy. Eurgh... I'm gonna become resentful of the guy if he keeps being played up so much.
I'll be damned, that and Octopus Dance are the lone attractions that don't refer to their respective franchise by name. Perhaps Takamaru's Ninja Castle too. This doesn't necessarily have to be indicative of anything, but it is odd now that you mention it.

Let's look at Miyamoto's response taking CaVaYeRo's uploaded interview from not long ago. There he unveiled his philosophy regarding game-makin'. What does Miyamoto look at when deciding what game to focus on next?

1) Something no one's ever done before.
2) Something that is going to sell a lot at the time.
3) Something that failed in the past, and wants to give a second chance to.

From his perspective, F-Zero's been done before, and we know it hasn't turned the world on fire sales-wise.
The third option would be the closest for Miyamoto to consider revisiting the series, but it doesn't seem his heart's on it.
When was the last it time he touched the series? Has he EVER? I'm honestly clueless. I don't know much about the series before the N64 era.

F Zero GX was sterling. It might not of sold like a AAA franchise but there's no denying the quality of that game.

And that's exactly what makes a AAA franchise. If Mario Kart sold like F-Zero it would have been trashed years ago. Don't get me wrong GX was amazing, but I can understand why they would be confused as to why the series gets so much love.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh and that interview pretty much tells us F-Zero is NOT getting a game anytime soon, since Miyamoto's surprise pretty much means they aren't working on one right now.

Snakeyes

Miyamoto: I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people: Why FZero? What do you want that we haven't done before?

Snakeyes said:
30-man races at 1080p/60 FPS with leaderboards would already outclass anything done on consoles so far.

Then you've got all the creative potential of the Wii U controller; custom tracks, custom racer logos, even custom cars could be molded to the player's liking and give everyone a sense of identity that has only been seen in WRPGs.

If the game really takes off, the community could even organize an annual F-Zero Grand Prix with a mix of official and custom tracks that have been approved by a committee of sorts.

It's pretty obvious that he's not thinking about it from an online perspective. F-Zero is one of the few games that could fully replicate its intergalactic racing world with today's technology.

They've brought back Punch Out, Kid Icarus, Wario Land, Donkey Kong Country, Sin & Punishment, Excite (Bike), Dr. Mario and others in the past few years. Despite some popular believe they also make new things all the time - at some point there's a limit in resources...

But let's keep bitching because of F-Zero and outdated space furries.

Jackano

Finished this short interview.
For english GAF, what I noted:

- He had no idea F-Zero is the actual most wanted Nintendo IP.
We need to be fair, for years, we asked for Kid Icarus, Punch-Out, Pilotwings and Pikmin 3. Now those 4 are or soon will be released, so the situation is more unclear than a few years ago. I believe Starfox and F-Zero are the next.
- Answer to a dumb question, the Wii U can do a lot more than just board games (!). HD graphics first in line. And a beautiful HD action game like Metroid will be fun. That's an answer in the typical Miyamoto style, which I believe means, this is not official yet, but is in actual development. Regarding this, I think it means Metroid HD is on its way.

Unfortunately, Gamekult sent one of their worst journalist there (or is he just in the site scale?). The same who wrote numerous papers during E3 with quality and objectivity that perfectly match and explain his pseudo. The questions were very blank and uninspired, add this to the "video game journalism" threads of missed oppotunities.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm just glad he didn't say "F-Zero? what's that?" This is a shame F-Zero/Starfox are my top two Nintendo Series. I don't even care about all the other stuff outside of smash

Snakeyes

Ok, after my fanboy post about a captain falcon action adventure, here's a serious idea.

How about virtually endless customization, to the point where there emerges a kind of sandbox meta-game about finding new combinations of parts and creative, crazy designs that push the meaning of an F-zero "racer" to its limit?
All the while discovering bizarre designs that can achieve greater and greater speed, acceleration, etc.

Anybody play the game Kerbal Space Program?

Imagine a mode where you design the craziest tracks you can imagine and upload them online, challenging others to design racers that can beat your track in a certain time, and then they can upload their victory laps to the network and so on, creating a sort of "cat and mouse" dynamic between racers and track designers.

It would be like the early days of aviation where everyone was trying to get a piece of the pie, with glorious and ridiculous designs abound. Or the space race era, or the race to break the sound barrier.

This would basically distill F-Zero down to its very essence.

This is great too.

Richie

When was the last it time he touched the series? Has he EVER? I'm honestly clueless. I don't know much about the series before the N64 era.

I'm sure someone like Shikamaru Ninja could be much more informative on this, but according to Wikipedia, he served as producer on the original game, a role he repeated for the sequel. That's another point, doesn't seem he's been very creatively involved in the series. But if he's a producer, surely his word holds weight towards a new installment...Albeit he wasn't involved at all in any of the handheld releases.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
F-zero, Waverace, 1080, Excitebike, they all seem like low risk, low cost games that would show off HD beautifully and grab the hardcore gamer they keep talking about wanting back.

IMO Waverace and 1080 and maybe even excitebike can be in a open worldgame kinda like that Open World minigames for Wii which was actually pretty neat. (Go Vacation I Think it was called)

Put all Wave Race 1080 and Excitebike characters selectable and there we go.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I actually wouldn't mind that. Other M had a lot of problems but it was absolutely great in other departments as well. A sequel could have potential for epicness.

I think if they improve on the issues and get a competent writer then it could be super mega epicness.

The game was to be set in both the past and the future and as the main character would travel between both and be the link between them, they called him Link.

Certainly explains why the series seems so obsessed with time/dimensional travel and why Miyamoto keeps talking about a futuristic Zelda. Let's make it happen!

Stewox

Banned
MEGATON!

Well, online multiplayer wasnt done for F-zero yet, could also have user-version map builder, larger maps - scenery - jaw dropping background environment, more challenge mode missions, great high-quality audio, HD but 60fps or 120 ofcourse, great music score as gx, even deeper garage feature, garage parts rewards from title-specific accomplishment(aka ssbb unlocks), + extra bonus unlockable ultra nightmare hardcore difficulty, but no cheating Ai(difficulty very important for this game!)

Names, names, names

F-Zero UX looks great and feels hardcore, little bit console ref..

F-Zero YU easier to pronounce, a lot of console ref., not as hardcore feel

If not, GX HD remake on eShop at least.

So happy right now! My english probably sounds kiddy when i get hyped, it affects mind.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It's in French:

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/miyamoto-la-wii-u-et-le-secret-de-la-triforce-A105550.html

- About FZero, he's surprised players want more of this series.

Gamekult: After a quick survey on Twitter, one of the game French gamers miss the most is F Zero. Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn't made a new one since 2004. Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: :eyes open wide: I am really pleased to hear Twitter's opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has little evolved.
I thought people had grown weary of it. I'd like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendoland's FZero minigame.
I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people: Why FZero? What do you want that we haven't done before?

- Link sprite was designed by Takashi Tezuka. Like Mario, they wanted a character that would be recognizable from his sword and shield so they thought of a long hat and long ears and went into the direction of an elf. At the time, when you said long ears you thought of Peter Pan and as he's a Disney fan, they drew inspiration from it.
Link's name come from the fact that originally, the fragments of the Triforce were supposed to be electronic chips. The game was to be set in both the past and the future and as the main character would travel between both and be the link between them, they called him Link.

Edit:
- Not a confirmation or anything but here's what he answered to the question: what do you see for the Metroid franchise on Wii U: something like Metroid Prime, Metroid Other M or a third way?
Since Wii U is a HD console with more hardware power, what we can naturally think about is a beautiful HD action game (Huge smile, meaning he won't say more).
F-Zero - Whether Nintendo realizes it or not, F-Zero is very unique in today's racing landscape. Futuristic arcade racers don't exist anymore. In fact, quality arcade racers are almost non-existant. I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me on that, but there's a reason the genre has seen a decline in sales. It's because most arcade racers suck. Just give me a car, give me a track and decent sense of progression and let me go race. There are too many gimmicks in todays racers imo.

There's a lot they could add to F-Zero. The addition of online and track creation alone are enough to warrant another game imo. Just off the top of my head, something they could add could be free falling. I'm talking about a massive jump off a low orbit ramp where you free fall to a track below. What about a super turbo, an EMP blast or invincibility? When your energy tank is all the way full you can choose one of these abilties. They could either help you catch up or stay ahead in a race.

Metroid - It's good to hear Nintendo haven't given up on the series. The term "Action" could be interpreted in a lot of different ways. He did use the word "beautiful" though, so this to me means it will be a graphical showcase. That's a pretty stong hint that Retro Studios will be involved imo.

Top Bottom