• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Monster Hunter World trailer shows off Wildspire Waste

Sayad

Zinogre, Nargacuga and Tigerx is my short wish list, very few things in these games are more satisfying than smashing a Tigrex skull.

Defuser

Yeah the false "westernizing and casualizing" rumours colored people's perceptions of it. Even when news came out that the main MH team were working on it and all weapons we're returning, people were still adamant that Capcom was dumbing it down.
All they need to do is release a demo to shut people up.

They are still salty XX isn't localise and World isn't coming on the switch.

Yeah I think people wanted more flashy and ridiculous/stupid monsters like astalos and brachydios.

No I want something like some of my favorite 2/Tri/4 Monsters. Barioros, Gobul, Duramboros, Agnacotl, Quru Pecco, Lagiacruz, and Tigrex. Those designs are a million times better than what they've revealed so far. It doesn't have to be Valfalk levels of cuhrayzee for me to get behind it.

2m would be disappointing. The 3DS ones already sold 1m, and that was on the 3DS in the west. 3m in the west (plus Asia) would just offset lost jap. sales if we assume it sells 1m in JP like MHTri (4m+ ww for MH4). It all depends if the rumoured portable version is real.

Are you joking? 2m in the west wouldn't be disappointing, especially when the whole point of this is to spur growth in the franchise in Europe and North America. And the rumoured portable version of World definitely ain't happening, but Switch will certainly get a "proper" MH game. That much is obvious.

That was really good, and that desert actually looks interesting. One thing Im hoping for is more visual difference between sub species. Color swaps are kinda boring. Change them up visually and Ill be all over it.

Glass Rebel

Lol the amount of replies you got in a manner that make us newcomers look stupid are pretty sad. Can't wait to give it a try bow all day ppl

Do yourself a favour and don't abandon the game if you don't like the bow gameplay. Many people start off with Great or Long Swords to greater success.

Do yourself a favour and don't abandon the game if you don't like the bow gameplay. Many people start off with Great or Long Swords to greater success.
I'm sticking with the bow baby!! Had some monster hunter vets on here give me the run down on them a lot of times bow and insect glaive

Kyoufu

That was really good, and that desert actually looks interesting. One thing Im hoping for is more visual difference between sub species. Color swaps are kinda boring. Change them up visually and Ill be all over it.

Or better yet, no subspecies at all. They're pointless filler. If you're going to have them, save them for the G rank expansion.

I'm dying to see the Volcano area and the various arenas.

How many areas do we expect to be in the main game? Also, how was the DLC support for previous MH games? I feel like they could make a lot of content with this.

Defuser

How many areas do we expect to be in the main game? Also, how was the DLC support for previous MH games? I feel like they could make a lot of content with this.

Like every MH game there always be a:
Jungle zone
Forest zone
Desert zone
Volcanic zone
Cold Mountain zone
Ancient ruins zone
Lava zone(usually in arena style)
Arena zone

Zinogre, Nargacuga and Tigerx is my short wish list, very few things in these games are more satisfying than smashing a Tigrex skull.

The first two sound great, but I really hate Tigrex. I feel like they need Gore Magala in here as well, coolest monster design in the series.

I also would love for them to finally pull the trigger on some of the Ancient Civilization's abominations.

I expect 4 large areas, 2 smaller areas (like ruins from F2/FU, the Lao-Chan Lung areas, or Ceadeus areas), and 2-3 arenas.

I really hope the Elder Dragons don't get isolated to their own special areas. It would be so much cooler if they roamed the open world with unique, cataclysmic weather effects.

Plus, them showing that Lao-Lookalike in this area's trailer makes me think there might be a volcanic part of the Waste.

Are you joking? 2m in the west wouldn't be disappointing, especially when the whole point of this is to spur growth in the franchise in Europe and North America. And the rumoured portable version of World definitely ain't happening, but Switch will certainly get a "proper" MH game. That much is obvious.
They will lose 1m+ sales in JP, if the goal is to sell more they will need to sell more than 2m in the west. If they need to develop a Switch version seperately from scratch it would be even worse, since they can't offset the higher dev costs. But it's Capcom so I wouldnt be surprised of anything really.

I really hope the Elder Dragons don't get isolated to their own special areas. It would be so much cooler if they roamed the open world with unique, cataclysmic weather effects.

Plus, them showing that Lao-Lookalike in this area's trailer makes me think there might be a volcanic part of the Waste.

I would imagine that Elder Dragons like Kushala and Teo/Luna would roam the environment like normal. Larger monsters like Akantor or Alatreon almost have to be in their own area not only because of their size, but because most of their attacks would be ridiculously hard to dodge (almost RNG based).

Something Lao-like could work depending on how the area is designed, since he doesn't really do THAT much.

Sayad

The first two sound great, but I really hate Tigrex. I feel like they need Gore Magala in here as well, coolest monster design in the series.

I also would love for them to finally pull the trigger on some of the Ancient Civilization's abominations.
I don't stick to using one weapon in MH games, but if it's a Tigrex, I just have to use a Great Sword or a Hummer, thing has a huge, low to the ground head with very predictable move set, that skull is just asking to be smashed. But I can see how 'rex isn't very fun if you're not using those two weapons.

And yea, if they ever plan to visit that part of the MH lore and put a little bit more effort in "story", now is time.

Or better yet, no subspecies at all. They're pointless filler. If you're going to have them, save them for the G rank expansion.

I don't know. subspecies make older monster a little more interesting later in the game with having different elemental effects or status effects. Nothing would really replace them if they didn't add them at all. Plus its good for world building having similar creatures.

Kyoufu

Magala is a boring fight. I wouldn't miss it.

Tigrex is far more interesting because it can frantically chase you around the large open map, like in the MH4 announcement trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0O9KwMZ7_8

Imagine Tigrex chasing you through tunnels and caves like Anjanath did in the E3 trailer, except much scarier.

Rajang

Tigrex is far more interesting because it can frantically chase you around the large open map, like in the MH4 announcement trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0O9KwMZ7_8

Imagine Tigrex chasing you through tunnels and caves like Anjanath did in the E3 trailer, except much scarier.

Exactly.

But I would still prefer more new monsters over both of them tbh.

Maybe bring back some classics like Shen Gaoren or Yama Tsukami and make the fights more interesting.

Runner67

Magala is a boring fight? What? It does more interesting things than 90% of the current monster roster....

I mean who didn't want to fight a blind, 6 armed beast that infects you as you fight it and isee literally the embodiment of chaos?

Kyoufu

Magala is a boring fight? What? It does more interesting things than 90% of the current monster roster....

There's nothing interesting about Magala. Hump its legs and it can't hit you. That goes for Gammoth as well. So boring. Not a fan of many MH4/Generations monster additions tbh.

Sayad

Magala is fine, his design have always been way more interesting than the actual fight, but it's nowhere near as boring as, say, the Lagiacrus.

Ridley327

The problem with thinking that open environments will improve Tigrex is that at the end of the day, he's still Tigrex and the lamest of the pseudo wyverns by a comfortable margin. Subspecies can't even make him good.

Khezu

If it was up to me no MH 1/2/4 monsters would come back other then Rathalos, Rathian, and maybe Diablos and Kut Ku.

Other then that it would be a mix of MH3 monsters(MH3 not MH3U) and new ones.

Kyoufu

If it was up to me no MH 1/2/4 monsters would come back other then Rathalos, Rathian, and maybe Diablos and Kut Ku.

Agreed.

But you gotta have Teostra in this. That music...

Narga should be included as well. Imagine his enraged eyes glowing at night!

Bring back the Plesioth pls.
Can't believe that thing has fans.

My wants are Barioth, Nargacuga, and Gigginox. Gigginox would be so cool, and he hasn't shown up anywhere since 3U :(. Maybe they can retool Gobul to make him more unique on land since there's no water combat...

A Gobul using a Barroth's mud <3

I think we'll be getting a lot of new monsters that are just tweaked versions of old ones. Great Jagras is a Royal Ludroth that swallows things whole, Lavasioth (while not technically new) is just desert Plesioth, even Anjanath is basically a skinny Deviljho (though I think Jho is still likely to return as well).

I'll agree with the notion that the third generation is the best overall, but Lavasioth in particular makes me feel that MHW's roster will be extremely tough to predict. One we saw they were taking monsters from the MMOs, all bets were off.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I can't wait until they announce the elder dragon DLC pack /s

I don't expect them to quite take that route, but I wouldn't be surprised if they released quest packs(things that used to be event quests) as DLC that have armor/weapons that are exclusive rewards. They will probably also release areas as DLC that have exclusive monsters. Capcom is going to try to monetize the hell out of this game.

We've seen this in the past. Remember when MH Tri had a monthly subscription in Japan? We've also seen this already with Dragon's Dogma and quest packs. People don't really buy as much DLC on handhelds or pay subscription fees(at least pre-Switch), which is probably another reason why they are pushing World so heavily.

This isn't something that I'm really negative about yet... as as long as the content is good and they aren't going full horse armor, I'll probably buy.

So because everything looks solid we now have to drum up concern about shit that's never been an issue for the series before?

If anything, modern DLC could be good for the game. No need to buy a $60 G game when they can release a digital expansion.

Syril

I don't expect them to quite take that route, but I wouldn't be surprised if they released quest packs(things that used to be event quests) as DLC that have armor/weapons that are exclusive rewards. They will probably also release areas as DLC that have exclusive monsters. Capcom is going to try to monetize the hell out of this game.

We've seen this in the past. Remember when MH Tri had a monthly subscription in Japan? We've also seen this already with Dragon's Dogma and quest packs. People don't really buy as much DLC on handhelds or pay subscription fees(at least pre-Switch), which is probably another reason why they are pushing World so heavily.

This isn't something that I'm really negative about yet... as as long as the content is good and they aren't going full horse armor, I'll probably buy.

It's always been kind of a weird case. Capcom's never hesitated to exploit their games for paid DLC, but the normal MH games never had it ever, and the closest they ever came was the subscription fees on the console games in Japan. Meanwhile they've had the Frontier series going there with shit like this:

The cash shop shit in Frontier is also completely fucking insane. I COULDNT IMAGINE what it would be like if the game was also F2P. Which everyone here seems to want? I know it would change if brought West, but the cash shop stuff is just so crazy. Im pretty tolerant of IAP stuff and not a guy who yells P2W every time a game sells skins, but holy shit lol. The stuff you can buy with real money in frontier is insane.

Here's some examples of the cash shop in Frontier

Hunter's Course: $14/30 days. Required to do anything relevant in the game. Without it you can't gain exp or fight much of anything except Kut-ku.

Extra Course: $6/30 days. Gives you access to boxes in town (otherwise need to go into private area, PITA), ability to buy additional items (honey, traps, mats for meals, etc), and gathering missions where you can gather 14-16 times per node instead of normal 4-6.

Premium Course: $10/72 hours. Gives you 200% exp, access to premium quests that gives 200-500k z.

Assist Course: $10/72 hours. Gives you a demigod AI partner that uses drinks on you, heals you, plays flutes, deal absolutely crazy damage, can't die, and wake syou up from dizzy/sleep/etc.

BoS Course: $10/72 hours. Gives you another 200% bonus exp, and extra books of secrets for when you are grinding Style Rank. (Another leveling system for each specific weapon that begins at HR 500 and limits the rarity of equipment you can use on quest, gradually being removed as you level up. In return you get some additional moves for each weapon. SR carves are required for high end gear)

Forward Course: $30/72 hours. Lowers damage you take by 60-70%, gives you a 25% damage boost, gives you an extra carve off everything

Cash Shop Armor/weapon sets: $25-30. These are usually around 95% as good as normal armor, but about 100000x easier to upgrade. When you see people in various anime outfits or using weird looking stuff its from here.

Armor/Weapon "Booster Packs": Same as the sets, except you get random tickets for various items int he set, and you need several of each ticket to make / upgrade.

I always figured Frontier being that egregious was a compromise for keeping anything like that out of the main games. But I guess things remain to be seen since I'm sure World has a way bigger budget than the previous games.

I think it's more that I'd rather see a lot of the old monsters redesigned from scratch than forgotten. There's potential for monsters like Plesioth, Cephadrome, Gravios, and Khezu to be really cool if the team was willing to take the monsters and just rethink their movesets and how they interact with the environment. The MH2 elder dragons would also be GOAT, as many have mentioned. But yeah, gens 1 and 2 have a lot worth leaving behind compared to Tri's fantastic set of new critters.

TreIII

Magala is fine, his design have always been way more interesting than the actual fight, but it's nowhere near as boring as, say, the Lagiacrus.

Agreed. If anything, the Magalas just need new tricks to make them more interesting to fight. Or at least, make it more challenging to get up in their grills, because a few virus balls, rock smash and tail whips aren't good enough deterrents.

I think it's more that I'd rather see a lot of the old monsters redesigned from scratch than forgotten. There's potential for monsters like Plesioth, Cephadrome, Gravios, and Khezu to be really cool if the team was willing to take the monsters and just rethink their movesets and how they interact with the environment. The MH2 elder dragons would also be GOAT, as many have mentioned. But yeah, gens 1 and 2 have a lot worth leaving behind compared to Tri's fantastic set of new critters.

I also wouldn't want to say good-bye to the likes of the Seltas and Nerscylla, either. We already don't have too many insect/arachnids as it is.

It's always been kind of a weird case. Capcom's never hesitated to exploit their games for paid DLC, but the normal MH games never had it ever, and the closest they ever came was the subscription fees on the console games in Japan. Meanwhile they've had the Frontier series going there with shit like this:

I always figured Frontier being that egregious was a compromise for keeping anything like that out of the main games. But I guess things remain to be seen since I'm sure World has a way bigger budget than the previous games.

Dang, I didn't Frontier was THAT bad. No wonder it hasn't taken off.

I feel like MH World will be expensive if you want to collect everything (maybe $200+ extra), but if you just want the normal DLC game content (and not the IdolPiece x HunterStar costumes/weapons) it might cost about the same as a G version (i.e. an extra $60).

Ridley327

Dang, I didn't Frontier was THAT bad. No wonder it hasn't taken off.

I feel like MH World will be expensive if you want to collect everything (maybe $200+ extra), but if you just want the normal DLC game content (and not the IdolPiece x HunterStar costumes/weapons) it might cost about the same as a G version (i.e. an extra $60).

It's definitely not even remotely as big as the mainline titles, but Frontier found its whales and the game has been able to live comfortably off of them.

BlizzKrut

Banned
I think we'll be getting a lot of new monsters that are just tweaked versions of old ones. Great Jagras is a Royal Ludroth that swallows things whole, Lavasioth (while not technically new) is just desert Plesioth, even Anjanath is basically a skinny Deviljho (though I think Jho is still likely to return as well).

I'll agree with the notion that the third generation is the best overall, but Lavasioth in particular makes me feel that MHW's roster will be extremely tough to predict. One we saw they were taking monsters from the MMOs, all bets were off.

The monster in the trailer is not Lavasioth.

PokéKong

I've never really understood the approach to DLC up to this point, the way they just give away so much. Usually when a game has frequent content updates it's to keep players attached in the long run so they feel more inclined to buy paid DLC, yet there usually isn't any in MH. If the formula changes this time, I expect them to at least market the G Rank content as a big Season Pass style add-on purchase, rather than a whole new game package.

I've got my fingers crossed for all the Gen flagships to return. Gammoth was the only weak one and I could easily imagine them giving him a more interesting moveset. I got faked out for a sec when I saw some World-related articles on news sites use that beautiful high quality render of Astalos as the header image, so I'd be heartbroken now if it at least didn't make it in. ALL bug-related monsters must return! And yeah Zinogre is a shoe-in, they put it in amusement parks for cryin out loud.

BlizzKrut

Banned
PokéKong;246490590 said:
I've never really understood the approach to DLC up to this point, the way they just give away so much. Usually when a game has frequent content updates it's to keep players attached in the long run so they feel more inclined to buy paid DLC, yet there usually isn't any in MH. If the formula changes this time, I expect them to at least market the G Rank content as a big Season Pass style add-on purchase, rather than a whole new game package.

I've got my fingers crossed for all the Gen flagships to return. Gammoth was the only weak one and I could easily imagine them giving him a more interesting moveset. I got faked out for a sec when I saw some World-related articles on news sites use that beautiful high quality render of Astalos as the header image, so I'd be heartbroken now if it at least didn't make it in. ALL bug-related monsters must return! And yeah Zinogre is a shoe-in, they put it in amusement parks for cryin out loud.

If I was you I'd lower my expectations, don't bet on the returning monster count to be like the last few games.

NeonZ

I guess the point of Monster Hunter's DLC model is to reduce used game sales, which is something very relevant in Japan. Anyway, I guess we'll see if the model will change now when they announce collaborations, since if the DLC is paid and separate that likely will be revealed there.

Did you play the base Monster Hunter Tri? Without subspecies the high rank became just a 2nd run of low rank with two new monsters. This game isn't reusing assets so I doubt it'll have that many unique monsters, so without sub-species I could see that issue happening again. Subspecies definitely should be in.

Kyoufu

I guess the point of Monster Hunter's DLC model is to reduce used game sales, which is something very relevant in Japan.

Did you play the base Monster Hunter Tri? Without subspecies the high rank became just a 2nd run of low rank with two new monsters. This game isn't reusing assets so I doubt it'll have that many unique monsters, so without sub-species I could see that issue happening again. Subspecies definitely should be in.

What would having subspecies in a game lacking content accomplish? You're still fighting the same monster, just reskinned and one different attack. Not my idea of compelling tbh.

After MHP3rd I didn't want to fight another subspecies ever again. :/

HeeHo

PokéKong;246490590 said:

Makes business sense and I do kind of expect something like that but locking G-rank content behind a paywall of any kind seems like it'll have a big fan backlash and probably reduce the player pool quite a bit. I'm just speculating though. I'm wondering how they will handle content updates as well.

Hopefully it's the same as ever! As in, free. :p

Top Bottom