• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Monster Hunter World trailer shows off Wildspire Waste

Estoc

Really? Ceadeus is cool and the way they handled the scale of it was rather impressive, but he's really boring to fight. I was really surprised that they did virtually nothing to spice up the Goldbeard variant, since he's probably the easiest G-rank initiation fight ever. At least he's a great source for money in MH3U, since his drops are generous and they're worth a ton for how easy it is to get them!

Compared with other giant monsters? I would say so. The oil slick monster in 4 was also fun, but I really felt like I was fighting something epic with the whale-... Ceadeus fight. In terms of challenge though, I agree, Ceadeus wasn't hard at all.

Sorry about the names, I play the Japanese version, so aside from Rathalos and a few, I don't really remember their English names.

Ridley327

Oh I don't mean the camera. I guess I forgot diablo had the option to have random drop in. Was more curious as in diablo you had 4 max in the town hub, but Destiny had like 20+ or so people and you group up with people in the hub before heading out. Not really sure how much monster Hunter evolved with the multiplayer aspect of the game.

They really haven't show that much of the hub yet. Frontier has long had the crowded social space aspect to it, while the mainline games have opted to use the same old room browser they've had since the first game.

melkier33

They really haven't show that much of the hub yet. Frontier has long had the crowded social space aspect to it, while the mainline games have opted to use the same old room browser they've had since the first game.

Hmm thanks. Trying to convince some friends on this unfortunately I don't think they would buy in if it's like the first games. Will have to keep an eye out for more info.

Defuser

You know I'm quite worried about the youtube views so far for MH:W. The announcement trailer had over 8 million views, the ancient forest gameplay have over 400,000 views and now the latest wildspire trailer have just hit 500,000 views. I'm not including the views on Capcom's own channel.

I really hope Capcom puts in effort in promoting it at Gamescom,PSX and the VGA if they want MH:W to be a success.

You know I'm quite worried about the youtube views so far for MH:W. The announcement trailer had over 8 million views, the ancient forest gameplay have over 400,000 views and now the latest wildspire trailer have just hit 500,000 views. I'm not including the views on Capcom's own channel.

I really hope Capcom puts in effort in promoting it at Gamescom,PSX and the VGA if they want MH:W to be a success.

There's a lot of arguments out there that the initial trailer was viewbotted to hell. Views to like/dislike participation doesn't match up at all for comparable videos for example. Like not just a little but by a lot.

the announcement trailer was high becaused it was view botted/ads

Sayad

Is there an "ending" in MH games like a final boss and a conclusion to a story?

There are soft endings, with you defeating your rival monster, saving the village and getting recognized as a real hunter. Usually takes about 40 to 60 hours to get there, but in term of overall content, that's just like the game's prologue chapter.

Tratorn

the announcement trailer was high becaused it was view botted/ads

And the bad thing is that it was an awful trailer that probably noone cared about who didn't know and like the IP already. It would've been much better if the Wildspire trailer was used for those E3 ads as a first impression.

Yu Narukami

Sorry for all the questions but I never played an MH game before. I saw some MH X videos and there was like a combo mechanic with a gauge that fills up and that looked really interesting. Is this mechanic used here aswell?

Sayad

Sorry for all the questions but I never played an MH game before. I saw some MH X videos and there was like a combo mechanic with a gauge that fills up and that looked really interesting. Is this mechanic used here aswell?
Maybe link to the video, a lot of weapons have a gauges that allows you to do things/moves you normaly could not, and those are coming back with some new moves too, but also, a lot of moves and mechanics from MHX aren't making a return.

If you missed it, there was a MHW weapons showcase video released few weeks ago that did a good job showing what to expect from each weapon type:
Light weapons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_bBd7v0PUA
Heavy weapons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgBhaRZhsFY
Technical weapons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt_Dn65jdSQ

Yu Narukami

Maybe link to the video, a lot of weapons have a gauges that allows you to do things/moves you normaly could not, and those are coming back with some new moves too, but also, a lot of moves and mechanics from MHX aren't making a return.

If you missed it, there was a MHW weapons showcase video released few weeks ago that did a good job showing what to expect from each weapon type:
Light weapons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_bBd7v0PUA
Heavy weapons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgBhaRZhsFY
Technical weapons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt_Dn65jdSQ
I can't remember which video it was. I think it was from Gaijinhunter showing Longswords and a Spirit Gauge.

Sayad

I can't remember which video it was. I think it was from Gaijinhunter showing Longswords and a Spirit Gauge.
The spirit gauge and its combos are coming back, it has always been part of the Longsword, styles and hunter arts are gone in MH World, but very few of those are getting remixed/reintroduced under different mechanics.

Defuser

I wouldn't use MHX as a reference as X and XX are more of a spinoff MH from the 4th installment but with arcadely elements like the hunter styles system.

You should reference MH4U which MH:W is following up from.

Hands on Demo impressions are going to start flowing in tomorrow!

Get ready boyz!

Maybe it calls for a New topic come tomorrow?

Ridley327

Is there an "ending" in MH games like a final boss and a conclusion to a story?

There is a final threat that they usually balance towards solo players at the conclusion of the story, but nothing really ends in the games in terms of content. A lot of the monsters tend to not show up in the story, though with recent installments, they've all been accessible for solo players, if just a tad more challenging due to them being geared more towards multiplayer sessions.

In any event, if you're looking for a deep story to be your in for the series, I would look elsewhere. These are really simple games as far as the storytelling is concerned: like, think along the lines of most of Nintendo's games.

One of Monster Hunter's biggest issues is that Youtube personalities that play it tend to ONLY play Monster Hunter. Gaijin, Arekkz and the like appeal to the hardcore MH crowd, but are largely unknown outside of it.

Meanwhile, people like Pewdiepie, the Game Grumps, and every major gaming site out there have full playthroughs of at least one Souls game, yet you'd be hard pressed to find more than a single video of any of them playing an MH game.

This deficit of "influencers" is arguably the biggest marketing hurdle the game faces.

Ridley327

One of Monster Hunter's biggest issues is that Youtube personalities that play it tend to ONLY play Monster Hunter. Gaijin, Arekkz and the like appeal to the hardcore MH crowd, but are largely unknown outside of it.

Meanwhile, people like Pewdiepie, the Game Grumps, and every major gaming site out there have full playthroughs of at least one Souls game, yet you'd be hard pressed to find more than a single video of any of them playing an MH game.

This deficit of "influencers" is arguably the biggest marketing hurdle the game faces.

A good beta will be crucial to this game getting any kind of traction with new players. They can't do another pre-made character demo with limited monsters. It has to be a representative of the final product, so it ought to be an actual chunk of the final game that gives you the full crafting experience and has a solid amount of monsters to hunt. Not too many, of course, but they need to show what the Monster Hunter experience is from the ground floor, not tease you with what you might be able to get much later on.

I dont have better advice other than to play with friends

Maybe at least one who is familiar with Monster Hunter

A good beta will be crucial to this game getting any kind of traction with new players. They can't do another pre-made character demo with limited monsters. It has to be a representative of the final product, so it ought to be an actual chunk of the final game that gives you the full crafting experience and has a solid amount of monsters to hunt. Not too many, of course, but they need to show what the Monster Hunter experience is from the ground floor, not tease you with what you might be able to get much later on.

It certainly helped Nioh, though that game got to coast on Souls' popularity as well.

The main problem is that they'd still need to find influencers to play it who aren't going to give up really quickly and whose audiences will be receptive to it.

Kinsei

Banned

Arin loves Monster Hunter. In fact the Grumps even had a co-op MH4U series. I would be very surprised if they didn't do a few MH:World videos.

PBG and Projared also really like Monster Hunter and they'll do videos too.

It certainly helped Nioh, though that game got to coast on Souls' popularity as well.

The main problem is that they'd still need to find influencers to play it who aren't going to give up really quickly and whose audiences will be receptive to it.

That shouldn't be too hard- From the E3 reception I could point to Super Best Friends and Easy Allies, both of which has connections to make shady backdoor deals.

Patron and Benzilla would shill the fuck out of this game.

Wamb0wneD

God I really really hope this will hav crossplay between PS4 and PC. Pleease...
I know 4 people who play Monster Hunter and two will get this on PC and two on PS4...

Arin loves Monster Hunter. In fact the Grumps even had a co-op MH4U series. I would be very surprised if they didn't do a few MH:World videos.

PBG and Projared also really like Monster Hunter and they'll do videos too.

They do *some* videos. Grumps has like 5 MH videos compared to 90+ for Dark Souls 3 and 100+ for Bloodborne.

ProJared and PBG have the most out of the bigger personalities, but they're relegated to secondary channels and there still aren't a ton of them.

Kyoufu

They do *some* videos. Grumps has like 5 MH videos compared to 90+ for Dark Souls 3 and 100+ for Bloodborne.

ProJared and PBG have the most out of the bigger personalities, but they're relegated to secondary channels and there still aren't a ton of them.

I mean, MH hasn't been easy to stream or record for many years. It shouldn't be surprising that a console/PC series has many, many more videos.

Peru

Ceadeus was majestic, one of the most awe-inspiring "final" boss encounters. Not fun if you had to grind him I imagine but I never went that route and never was close to completionist in gear gathering MH. As setting for a campaign climax I've seldom met as ethereal surroundings, deep under the earth and underwater, as this, locked in a fight in a bubble of your own with the big beast .- and you kinda felt sorry for killing it.

Samemind

Ceadeus was majestic, one of the most awe-inspiring "final" boss encounters. Not fun if you had to grind him I imagine but I never went that route and never was close to completionist in gear gathering MH. As setting for a campaign climax I've seldom met as ethereal surroundings, deep under the earth and underwater, as this, locked in a fight in a bubble of your own with the big beast .- and you kinda felt sorry for killing it.

Yes, and the narrative progression demonstrated in gameplay and audio really made it feel like it's all connected with the long series of challenges you've had to face and overcome in order to save your village, its people and their way of life.

Starting from the base camp, which doesn't look too unfamiliar from the Deserted Island you recognize as Moga's local area, you have to dive off a cliff and chase Ceadeus deep through a winding underwater tunnel with a music piece that's pretty much distinct from anything else in the series up that point. And when you reach its climactic destination, so does the music.

I'm curious, what's the concensus on Monster Hunter Online? The Chinese Cry Engine Monster Hunter game. When footage of that came out, I always expected it to blow up but no one really seems to talk about it. Is it okay or is it Frontier tier?

Kyoufu

I'm curious, what's the concensus on Monster Hunter Online? The Chinese Cry Engine Monster Hunter game. When footage of that came out, I always expected it to blow up but no one really seems to talk about it. Is it okay or is it Frontier tier?

It's worse than Frontier mechanically speaking.

Hybris

True about the grinding. Though pretty much everyone had to grind him so it sucked. He had the best G-rank entry gear since it was easy to make a Sharpness+1 mixed set with a couple of his pieces.

I installed it about a year ago, but I guess I fucked up during the install and it put some pretty disgusting bloatware on my system. I thought I was diligent in declining the stuff... but I ended up getting some crap installed that I couldn't even kill or remove with Admin rights on the machine. Ended up doing a system restore to get rid of it, and I never tried again...

BlizzKrut

Banned

It's better now than when it was released, it plays like MH though, albeit not as strong, if you still want your fix I'd recommend it.

It's worse than Frontier mechanically speaking.

Certainly looks good graphically, but with Capcom's minimal involvement it's a bit unsurprising regarding mechanics.
I installed it about a year ago, but I guess I fucked up during the install and it put some pretty disgusting bloatware on my system. I thought I was diligent in declining the stuff... but I ended up getting some crap installed that I couldn't even kill or remove with Admin rights on the machine. Ended up doing a system restore to get rid of it, and I never tried again...

Oh yeah I read about that. Apparently it's something you just have to deal with if you want to play it.

I was just curious since it seemed like a better looking and less egregious cash shop ridden Frontier. So I figured more people would be talking about it.

That shouldn't be too hard- From the E3 reception I could point to Super Best Friends and Easy Allies, both of which has connections to make shady backdoor deals.

Patron and Benzilla would shill the fuck out of this game.

um... Huber makes jokes about that, and we like the game, but we haven't been involved in any actual shady deals.

So, in some utterly baffling news, Capcom apparently says they expect to sell 1.5 million units of MHW.

This is all according to financial analysts at BGC Partners Anvarzadeh, so take it with a grain of salt, but that does sound more realistic than the 4 million being tossed around earlier.

I think it'll hit 2.5m, then get DLC "seasons" like SFV to keep it profitable.

I think they expected a backlash from MH vets but it turns out the game is being very well received in social media. I think in their lastest call they specifically noted how positive the game reception was so far. Maybe those predictions are from that uncertainty on the game reception before E3.

Ridley327

So, in some utterly baffling news, Capcom apparently says they expect to sell 1.5 million units of MHW.

This is all according to financial analysts at BGC Partners Anvarzadeh, so take it with a grain of salt, but that does sound more realistic than the 4 million being tossed around earlier.

I think it'll hit 2.5m, then get DLC "seasons" like SFV to keep it profitable.

Keep in mind that they're expecting it to sell that much in what will likely be a month's time, since all indications are pointing to this releasing just before their FY is up. It's a more reasonable number, but that's still a rather daunting task considering the game's competition this upcoming spring in the west and the expected contraction for it not being on a handheld in Japan.

Kyoufu

Keep in mind that they're expecting it to sell that much in what will likely be a month's time, since all indications are pointing to this releasing just before their FY is up. It's a more reasonable number, but that's still a rather daunting task considering the game's competition this upcoming spring in the west and the expected contraction for it not being on a handheld in Japan.

1.5 million is not a daunting task in the first month. It'll do that in the first week worldwide.

I have no idea who Anvarzadeh are and how they came up with that figure though. It's a bit on the low end imo.

Ridley327

1.5 million is not a daunting task in the first month. It'll do that in the first week worldwide.

I have no idea who Anvarzadeh are and how they came up with that figure though. It's a bit on the low end imo.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that the ceiling for the first month for the game in Japan is 800k. Do you really see it doing 700k between the US and Europe in the same period?

Kyoufu

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that the ceiling for the first month for the game in Japan is 800k. Do you really see it doing 700k between the US and Europe in the same period?

There's also Asia and the Middle East. Yes, shouldn't be difficult.

Ridley327

There's also Asia and the Middle East. Yes, shouldn't be difficult.

Asia, I can see picking up a lot of slack, but is there really a sizable crowd in the Middle East? I only ever hear about them in terms of whatever happened to leak out a month in advance.

Asia, I can see picking up a lot of slack, but is there really a sizable crowd in the Middle East? I only ever hear about them in terms of whatever happened to leak out a month in advance.

Back in January 2015 PS4 was about to cross one million units sold in middle east. By now it should be over 3 million if the sales continued with the same pace. So there is decent userbase in middle east.

Eolz

Easily. And people here know what's my opinion about this game's potential sales lol (edit: really not as optimistic as some others).
It'll do 1M without a doubt in the west (not counting Steam).

Kyoufu

Easily. And people here know what's my opinion about this game's potential sales lol (edit: really not as optimistic as some others).
It'll do 1M without a doubt in the west (not counting Steam).

I'm actually legit shook you agree with me, Eolz.

Top Bottom