• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mortal Kombat X details: No Babalities, dynamic weather in stages, roster 24+?

sjay1994

A youtube user, BruskPoet was able to get some new information from Shaun Himmerick (creative director of MKX) during PSX

- We will learn more of the games story in January/February.
- There will be no 'day' or 'night' version of stages in MKX, but some stages will feature a 'dynamic weather system' that will change as the match progresses.
- The character select screen is not final, the final roster count depends on how much they can 'jam in' before release. Previously Ed Boon hinted that there would be 12 returning characters and 12 new ones, meaning the roster could exceed 24 plus if they are jamming in more characters.
- Shaun placed further emphasis on Quan Chi's resurrection abilities in the past and stated again that MKX will have 'revenants' of some of those who fell in MK9.
- Every stage will have some form of environmental interaction.
- The game is to be submitted next month for the final stage of development.
- A lot of characters are 'finished' back at NetherRealm Studios.
- When asked about unlockable characters, Shaun stated he couldn't answer that question.
- There will not be 'Babalities' in Mortal Kombat X as they do not fit this new style of Mortal Kombat.
- It is very probable that we will see Fatalities in the story mode.
- There will be some form of 'King Of The Hill' in online play.
- Goro is Shaun's favourite character in the game at this point, he will get a reveal trailer eventually.

DR2K

Banned
24 characters? That's pretty low. Sounds like a season pass is in order. Day 1 either way.

Hope the reveal won't be as underwhelming as the SFV reveal. After all these years, has MK finally won?

I take it you bought an Xbox on Black Friday.

I had hoped that with Injustice they had learned that no one want unlockable characters in a fighting game in 2014.

DR2K

Banned
What do you think of GGXrd (16) or the rumors that SFV will launch with 16?

It's already been revealed and looks much more interesting than SFV. And MK won in 2011.

I think GGX is super low. It would be incredibly unlikely that SFV would be that low, but just as pitiful.

sjay1994

What do you think of GGXrd (16) or the rumors that SFV will launch with 16?

It's already been revealed and looks much more interesting than SFV. And MK won in 2011.

We have rumors of a game that was announced 2 days ago.. That no one has been able to play?

FATALITY

Banned
Hope the reveal won't be as underwhelming as the SFV reveal. After all these years, has MK finally won?

ItHasBegun.gif

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I had been searching all weekend for a new vid or more info cause I knew it was gonna be shown. Glad we got some more news before the new year. Mkx and BB are my most anticipated titles for next year.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I had hoped that with Injustice they had learned that no one want unlockable characters in a fighting game in 2014.
Honestly, I love unlockable characters in fighting games, and I definitely appreciate a robust story, so it seems like this will be the fighting game for me next year.

FourMyle

Dynamic weather is definitely not what they should be worried about when the character animations look so awful.

Amir0x

Banned

all that matters is how great the fighting mechanics are

Street Fighter has never lost that fight once in its main entries. Doubt it's going to lose now.

But we can have our preferences without detracting from Mortal Kombat X, which has always been a series that has a huge appeal partially in its very visual displays of gore. It seems MKX is going to be a very fun game for those who like its brand of fighting.

24 is less than MK9 not counting DLC, I hope there's more than that. Can't wait to know more of this game, regardless.

Wat. MKX reveal was a short video of Scorpion and Sub-Zero fighting just like the SFV reveal was a short video of Ryu and Chun Li fighting.
Unless this is a joke post...
Reptile better be one of those 24, Boon, so help me God.
THIS. He's iconic and he isn't dead, so there's no reason to not include him.

sjay1994

24 is less than MK9 not counting DLC, I hope there's more than that. Can't wait to know more of this game, regardless.

Wat. MKX reveal was a short video of Scorpion and Sub-Zero fighting just like the SFV reveal was a short video of Ryu and Chun Li fighting.

Well.... they did
kill of a majority of their cast in MK9
The fighters from MK9 were all from the original MK to MK3

This one apparantly has 12 completely new characters.

I am willing to give them slack for not having as much as MK9. Not to mention the 3 type system they have for each character.

I'm really interested in hearing more about the stages. Are there going to be stage fatalities (I'm sure the answer is yes, but confirmation would be nice)? Are there Injustice-esque levels to stages? Are the stages going to be torn apart like in Injustice/KI? Will there be stage fatality variations like in Eternal Champions:CFTDS?

Well.... they did
kill of a majority of their cast in MK9
The fighters from MK9 were all from the original MK to MK3

This one apparantly has 12 completely new characters.

I am willing to give them slack for not having as much as MK9. Not to mention the 3 type system they have for each character.

This is true. They have to build these new characters from the ground up, which includes design and move set. Also, for a moment I completely forgot about stances.

So the dynamic weather will actually impact gameplay (slippery ground, wind affecting movement, etc)? I figured they wouldn't even bother mentioning it if it were merely for looks.

Hmm 24-ish characters? Makes sense given what happened at the end of the reboot.

Looking forward to hearing more about possible unlockables. Fatalities during story mode would be quite interesting since (I assume) it would effect how it progresses if the character is dead.

Nice. Dynamic weather sounds cool. My hopefuls for returning.

There are 12.
We already know of
1. Kano
2. Raiden
3. Scorpion
4. Sub Zero
5. Quan Chi
6. Goro

That leaves 6 returning. I hope for...
7. Kenshi
8. Reptile
9. Noob Saibot
10. Liu Kang
11. JAX
12. Kung Lao

I do like some of the older female characters but I would like to see more interesting new females. I never cared for Sektor and Cyrax too much since MK3 so they can go away. With Quan Chi able to resurrect people, anything is possible.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
24 seems like heaps to me.

But then I'm one of those people who only has a max of 2 or 3 characters that I use in a fighting game.

So when I see games with like 20 or 30+ characters, I just can't fund it. It baffles me.

Street Fighter? Ken or Ryu, onnce in a blue moon I'll dabble in another for shits and giggles
Mortal Kombat? Sub Zero or Sektor ususally.
Virtua Fighter? Jacky or Sarah
Killer Instinct? Jago
Marvel vs Capcom? Ryu and 2 others on rotation

Dead or Alive is the only one where I utilise almost the entire roster because everyone plays so similarly.

Derp, I forgot all about the E3 reveal, my bad. That was the trailer with a new character where it's a smaller guy riding a giant/monster thing? It looked pretty good, if I recall, but clearly didn't make that big of an impression :).

My original point, though, is that SF was regarded as the superior fighting franchise for years, but perhaps perceptions are changing with SFIV-V and MK9/10. At least for me, I thought MK9 was one of the best fighting games I'd played in years and there were a lot of mixed reactions to SFV last week.

Nice. Dynamic weather sounds cool. My hopefuls for returning.

There are 12.
We already know of
1. Kano
2. Raiden
3. Scorpion
4. Sub Zero
5. Quan Chi
6. Goro

That leaves 6 returning. I hope for...
7. Kenshi
8. Reptile
9. Noob Saibot
10. Liu Kang
11. JAX
12. Kung Lao

I do like some of the older female characters but I would like to see more interesting new females. I never cared for Sektor and Cyrax too much since MK3 so they can go away. With Quan Chi able to resurrect people, anything is possible.

Yeah those resurrection powers comments have to a reference to Liu Kang. Hoping they keep him as zombie Liu Kang, would be hilarious to see in the story mode. Ermac switching over to the good side and teaming up with Kenshin would also be great.

Top Bottom