• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Nintendo titles (Wario Land Shake, Rhythm Tengoku DS etc)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo-owned developers:

SPD1 - No active projects, last did Card Hero

Wario Land Shake and Rhythm Tengoku Gold falls under their department. Well technically the Wario Thief game came from SPD2 and Azuse.

SPD2 - No active projects, last cooperated with Arika on Dr. Mario WiiWare

As far as producing and co-developing games. Hitoshi Yamagami's group is one of the most games. Internally very few. I think Tetris DS and Mahjong DS are there only internal games i can confirm from them.

SPD3 - No active projects, last cooperated with Retro on MP3

Nintendo doesn't have much announced. So yeah. Probably a couple of DS games being produced with independent or satellite developers. Kid Icarus no?? :)

SPD4 - No active projects, they do all the Wii Channels

SPD4 is in charge of all the Training games and Wii Channels. English Training 2, Band Bros DX are all internal. Common Sense Training Wii (and DS), Beatiful Kanji Training (DS) are also games from SPD4 although those were co-developed.

EAD1 - No active projects, last did Mario Kart Wii

EAD2 - No active projects, last did Wii Play, probably doing Animal Crossing or Wii Music

Animal Crossing (or Mii Crossing) definitely. Wii Motorsports might be dead. And Wii Music might have been transplanted to Tadashi Sugiyama's EAD 5 group (responsible for Wii Fit).]

EAD3 - No active projects, last did Link's Crossbow Training

Zeldas im sure.

EAD4 - No active projects, last did NSMB

Big Brain Academy Wii Degree was their last game. Pikmin 3 and NSMB2 are two strong candidates for future games. Or maybe a Yoshi wii game.

EAD5 - No active projects, last did Wii Fit

Wii Music??

EAD Tokyo - No active projects, last did SMG

strong possibility that Nintendo's 20+ recruits hired for Smash Bros. Brawl will be coming over. Not only could this mean that the developer may finally have 2 solid teams. But next generation they may be the Smash Bros developer. Who knows.

NST - No active projects, last did Mario vs DK2

They worked on Crossword DS but more from a design, music, and production unit

Retro - No active projects, last did Metroid Prime 3

This one should be interesting. Whatever it is

JSnake

Stormbringer said:
Holy... :eek: !
Looks pretty damn awesome ! Gameplay seems like it could be damn fun too ! (I have such a stupid happy grin on my face right now :lol).

Wha..? You can actually see those tiny screens?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ninja;

I would be inclined to agree that Wii Music was translated to EAD5. We know EAD2 is working on the Animal Crossing game to be released this year. I'd say it's likely that while EAD2 was doing the Wii Music tech demo that was shown at E3 '06, when they finally figured out what they were going to do with the game and locked it down for an 08 release it probably was transferred to EAD5.

I wonder if Nintendo would consider spinning off EAD Tokyo into a quasi-autonomous developer like IntSys. They're already in Tokyo and thus sort of separate in that way, and if they do take on more developers they'll have two large teams which is probably approaching the size of IntSys.

Scrubking

Teknoman said:
- 20 stages
- hand-drawn animation
- 1 player
- locations such as jungle ruins, desert, and ocean
- shake the Wiimote for special actions (shake enemies to grab coins, unearth hidden locations, and more)
- some sort of throwing mechanic via Wiimote manipulation
- vehicles such as rockets and submarines, seems that the Wiimote speaker plays a part in vehicles as well

Wario Land Shake is definatly staying on my radar. Plus it sorta sounds like it'll be 2d...though the mechanics sound more like they would fit in a 3d game.

This isn't going to be $50 is it?

TreIII

.......*cries manly, Hokuto no Ken-style tears of joy*

...It's a new 2D platformer...on a console. This will be a Day -1 purchase. Nintendo MUST be rewarded, to have balls to release 2D platformer in a time when seemingly no one does.

Jaruru

Teasel said:
my fear are confirmed :/
rhytm tengoku was a game that required a lot of precision so having the game using the touch screens makes me worried

time to get a new DS, my DSL's touch screen shifts a bit. I play buttons only games for now. >___<

I'll keep playing the Rhythm Tengoku GBA, button-music game ROCKS. Ouendan was great, let's see how Rhythm Tengoku sequel turns out :D

jarrod

Banned
TreIII said:
.......*cries manly, Hokuto no Ken-style tears of joy*

...It's a new 2D platformer...on a console. This will be a Day -1 purchase. Nintendo MUST be rewarded, to have balls to release 2D platformer in a time when seemingly no one does.
Sort of kills the anti-gamer rhetoric that nuNintendo bashers cling to, no? I can't honestly see MGS or SCE greenlighting something like this (and no, LBP isn't like this).

JSnake said:
Wha..? You can actually see those tiny screens?
Well I can't see much more than what you guys are seeing, that's for sure. But most of the details I can distinguish from these tiny pics (like for example, visibly varied environments, classic Wario Land style and design, whacky and potentially pretty fun use of waggle, and also the simple fact that it's the return a freaking classic 2D plateformer on console,...) make me pretty excited for it. In fact, I just can't wait to have more infos and better screens of it, so I can more accurately judge this game. And while I hope there won't be any bad surprise, so far, I'm pretty damn optimistic, yeah.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I would be inclined to agree that Wii Music was translated to EAD5. We know EAD2 is working on the Animal Crossing game to be released this year. I'd say it's likely that while EAD2 was doing the Wii Music tech demo that was shown at E3 '06, when they finally figured out what they were going to do with the game and locked it down for an 08 release it probably was transferred to EAD5.

Well in 2002 when Nintendo announced the new set of producers for EAD, Tadashi Sugiyama was one of those guys. However, as the EAD divisions became official, he was sort of floating around. So I'm not exactly sure of what was going on. Technically.

EAD1- Hideki Konno
EAD2- Katsuya Eguchi
EAD3- Eiji Aonuma
EAD4- Hiroyuki Kimura
EAD5- Tadashi Sugiyama
EAD Tokyo - Takao Shimizu
EAD Hardware - Takao Sawano (64DD, Wii Balance Board, Wii Zapper)

I wonder if Nintendo would consider spinning off EAD Tokyo into a quasi-autonomous developer like IntSys. They're already in Tokyo and thus sort of separate in that way, and if they do take on more developers they'll have two large teams which is probably approaching the size of IntSys.

No. In all honesty the EAD name is very sacred to Miyamoto and even Iwata. I would not be surprised if in 5 years Nintendo also used their Umiya plant for a small EAD group as well. The EAD group is one of the most tight knit units in the industry. I can't really think of any major.. or even minor defections.. unlike R&D1...

TreIII

jarrod said:
Sort of kills the anti-gamer rhetoric that nuNintendo bashers cling to, no? I can't honestly see MGS or SCE greenlighting something like this (and no, LBP isn't like this).

Agreed.

Now, the thing is, this game has to sell. If the game doesn't sell, then it's only the fault of the bashers, for not using their energy for a good cause: making sure people BUY this kind of stuff, so that Nintendo doesn't HAVE any excuse to not continue to do more like this.

This game, as well as Kirby Wii before the year is out? This could stand to be a very awesome time. I'd only need a new 2D Metroid for the Wii, as well as possibly a "New Super Mario Bros. 3" (DS or Wii), and then I'd be officially be NO GOOD.

I don't know people are so surprised at Wario Land being a 2d platformer for the Wii. Unlike Mario, the Wario brand is not oversaturated - there has been on average one Warioware game per system (two for GBA), one Wario platformer per system (more for GB/GBC). And with a 2d game Nintendo can finally attract some of those millions who bought NSMB, Yoshi's Island 2, Kirby Squeak Squad - the type of gamer who still loves 2d games and potentially dislikes 2d games like Mario Galaxy. While one "oldschool" traditional game won't be a system seller, it will make the system more friendly to those who already have and like the DS and its library.

And it is not like Super Paper Mario with its hybrid gameplay had not been a big risk either...

HUELEN10

Is it okay for grown men to cry? Just kidding.

It looks awesome. My appetitive is whet, and I hope to see a video soon!

Tom_Cody

Infernal Monkey said:
30ncav7.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy also looks a bit like Wario Land 4. :(

Wow, big reactions to my comment. I'm not trying to condemn the game, it just looks to me like the game is going be something like Four Swords Adventures in terms of visuals.

Looking at the coins and background in the top right, the ladder in the sunset pictures, or the ground in any of them, it looks to me like the game is going to have a GBA-like visual style. Again, I'm not trying to condemn the game, it just looks like that to me from what's available. I still going to buy it day 1 regardless as long its being made by the same people who made Wario Land 3 and 4.

Also,

I would say you can get a pretty good idea of what Mario Galaxy looks like from these scans.

From the scans, I still think Wario Land Shake looks very similar to Wario Land 4.

farnham

Banned
Tom_Cody said:
Wow, big reactions to my comment. I'm not trying to condemn the game, it just looks to me like the game is going be something like Four Swords Adventures in terms of visuals.

Looking at the coins and background in the top right, the ladder in the sunset pictures, or the ground in any of them, it looks to me like the game is going to have a GBA-like visual style. Again, I'm not trying to condemn the game, it just looks like that to me from what's available. I still going to buy it day 1 regardless as long its being made by the same people who made Wario Land 3 and 4.

Also,

I would say you can get a pretty good idea of what Mario Galaxy looks like from these scans.

From the scans, I still think Wario Land Shake looks very similar to Wario Land 4.

those scans are high res..

the flyer scans are low res...

its hard to read the letters in the wario land shake flyer man

JDSN

Banned
Tom_Cody said:

Just compared the scabs of Fatal Frame IV that were shown this week to the blurry ones posted in this thread, I dont think such comparison is fair.

Also, I think its better if you take those scans down. :D

Vinci

Danish
I shall support the only 2D-loving company.

Of course I've been doing that for decades now, so why not keep doing it?

GO NINTENDO!!

HUELEN10

Vinci said:
I shall support the only 2D-loving company.

Of course I've been doing that for decades now, so why not keep doing it?

GO NINTENDO!!
True. Makes me wonder if Wario will sell? Regardless, it has my support twofold.

Vinci

Danish
HUELEN10 said:
True. Makes me wonder if Wario will sell? Regardless, it has my support twofold.

It fucking better. If it doesn't sell, there needs to be a multitude of asses kicked.

HUELEN10

A Link to the Snitch said:
Now I just need New Super Mario World, Elite Beat Agents 2, and Metroid Dread.
This has the highest chance of existing in some form. This on Wii/WiiWare?

It could work...

I see a Nunchuck combo for a 2D Metroid working well.

Shiggy

TheWolf said:
Wario seems like it should be on WiiWare...

The price limit for WiiWare games is 1500 or 2000 points, so it might not be that well-suited. This way there should be more content than we we would get with a WiiWare release.

HUELEN10

Shiggy said:
The price limit for WiiWare games is 1500 or 2000 points, so it might not be that well-suited. This way there should be more content than we we would get with a WiiWare release.
There is a price limit? When did they do that?

birdchili

TheWolf said:
Wario seems like it should be on WiiWare...
it only has two Ds!

lets see how much content there is here. nintendo has been pretty good with pricing smaller games at smaller prices this gen. i could easily see myself shelling out full price for a sizable game full of hand drawn art - yum.

d+pad

I'm a bit surprised the Wario game is a full release and not WiiWare, but if it ends up kicking ass (as it looks like it will), I'll be all over it regardless of how it's released.

Hopefully someone at Nintendo is working on a similarly awesome Yoshi's Island sequel as well...

Vinci

Danish
To be fair, all I can make out from those pics is that there's a lot of jerking the Wiimote excitedly up and down. Can someone, like, translate so we (or, at least, I) have a better understanding as to how this beautiful return to 2D actually works?

HUELEN10

d+pad said:
I'm a bit surprised the Wario game is a full release and not WiiWare, but if it ends up kicking ass (as it looks like it will), I'll be all over it regardless of how it's released.

Hopefully someone at Nintendo is working on a similarly awesome Yoshi's Island sequel as well...
I cannot stress this enough. Artoon's excuse for a sequel was...

Yeah.

That or get a GOOD dev to make the game, like they are doing for Warioland Shake.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can we talk about Fatal Frame?
What does that boxart say, and is the game rated M? Looks cool.

Dascu

John Harker said:
Can we talk about Fatal Frame?
What does that boxart say, and is the game rated M? Looks cool.
It says that this is Suda's 2nd Wii project, with 2 other projects still unannounced.

I wish.

nightside

jarrod said:

Lately i saw a "2D in 2008 on home console? fuck no lol!!" tendence that is really disgusting...

how can anyone don't want 2D games :(?

d+pad

TheOneGuy said:
Vibrant. Colorful. Most importantly, not ugly like NSMB.

I didn't find NSMB "ugly," but I know what you're saying. Hand-drawn, sprites, etc., are much prefered to the 2.5D stuff going on in NSMB, IMO.

Actually, my big beef with NSMB was that it just seemed too easy and straighforward (the levels especially). I hope Nintendo can make platforming interesting again with the Wario game and any other 2D platformers they plan on releasing in the future...

ivysaur12

Banned
2D HAND DRAWN PLATFORMER FOR THE WII?!
HORROR GAME FOR THE WII THAT LOOKS F'ING AWESOME?
SEQUEL TO ONE OF THE GREATEST MUSIC GAMES OF ALL TIME?

What is wrong with the world?!

d+pad

wazoo said:
Is this the "hardcore game" Reggie promised us ??

Hmmmmm, I kind of hope not. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a 2D Wario platformer and will be all over it like PB on jelly when it's released, but I think of something else when I think of "hardcore" - like a new Kid Icarus :)

Top Bottom