• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Nintendo titles (Wario Land Shake, Rhythm Tengoku DS etc)

TheOneGuy said:
And NSMB doesn't, with it's hideous prerendered 2D enemy sprites clashing horribly with the bland 3D environments and characters?

No. It's distinctly Mario: vibrant, cheery, with a latin spunk in the overworld and a more blue/gothic tone to the underworld and castles. I found no issue with the enemy designs and didn't perceive any clash between them and the environment. Pretty fluid and professional presentation as far as I'm concerned.

J-Rock

Banned
Wario Land and Fatal Frame! Very nice. I hope we get some better quality screens or video soon. Fire Emblem DS can't come out soon enough.

Saoh

Stormbringer said:
Awesome line-up :D . By the way, there are some scans of Fatal Frame Wii floating around on some banned blog, including the first in-game pics...Or so I've heard...

looks better than Silent Hill 5.

j/k

?

Just wanted to throw in some more love for Fatal Frame 4. Loved the first two, and have the third waiting to be played. I'll definitely have to get on it once the US gets a release date.

Bluemercury said:

2rhr62q.jpg

Here.

jarrod

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
Tecmo is now a close third party? Wow.
They are on FF4 at least, given Nintendo's co-funding and publishing it.

Tecmo's actually got more known Wii releases in the pipeline than 360 or PS3 too now (3 vs 2 vs 0).

Datschge

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The EAD group is one of the most tight knit units in the industry. I can't really think of any major.. or even minor defections.. unlike R&D1...
This is why I like Nintendo so much, whenever you pick up a seemingly new name you can still find out checking staff lists that s/he actually has quite a long history at Nintendo already. While many game publishers are just publishers at worst or plain developers at best Nintendo is like the only (remaining) true gaming research institute were long time developers of "traditional" games are allowed to work on ground breaking "non games" as well.

I find that actually to be true for (the remainders of) R&D1 as well, so what major/minor defects of R&D1 do you refer to?
Besides the great Gunpei Yokoi obviously, RiP...

pakkit

Banned
I like 2 and 2.5D platforming on Wii. (Pst, are you listening, Sonic?)
Wario Land looks good, hope it'll be a nice, meatier platformer next to the delicious but skimpy Lost Winds.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

It IS side-scrolling Wario Land again! Awesome, simply awesome. I've been playing Wario Land 2 again (on Super Game Boy this time, instead of fully colorized GBC mode like the first time years back), and played Virtual Boy Wario land recently (still working on finishing Hard Mode, actually... awesome, awesome game, absolutely makes that Virtual Boy purchase worth it...), so it's great to see another one. I'd kind of liked to have seen it on DS actually, because the Wario Land series had all been on portable consoles, but Wii is great too. Hopefully it will live up to the series legacy of greatness and not be like Master of Disguise...

Anyway, those shots may be small, but it certainly looks very promising. Hopefully what's left of R&D1 is making it, as they were the developers of all five previous Wario Land titles.

I wonder if this will be the "true" Wario Land 5 or that is planned down the line for DS or its succesor.
WL 2-4 are brilliant. As much as I like Treasure, I hope it's handled internally.

(Haven't played Wario: MoD but it is cheap on Amazon so I ordered it.)

AniHawk

Wasn't there something Shigeru Miyamoto said about a new Yoshi and/or DK game for consoles? I wonder if Wario Land might be the first in a line of 2D platformers for the system. It would appeal to hardcore gamers, and if they released on WiiWare, it would probably kill all competition (meaning, bad for third parties).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Wasn't there something Shigeru Miyamoto said about a new Yoshi and/or DK game for consoles? I wonder if Wario Land might be the first in a line of 2D platformers for the system. It would appeal to hardcore gamers, and if they released on WiiWare, it would probably kill all competition (meaning, bad for third parties).

Dunno about Yoshi, but he mentioned a long time ago that there would be a console DK (but that was in like 2005 or something).

Gwanatu T

RHYTHM TENGOKU!

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my Lord that's going to be so awesome for the DS. Also Wario Land Shake? Count me in, the last Wario Land game owned.

AniHawk said:

I'm not gonna get my hopes up yet, if it happens thats awesome but i won't be expecting it.

The Hermit

This is like the bizzaro version of the Ubisoftz thread...

Anyway it´s a good day when everything is okay for everyone.

I just want to say that I couldn't seem to fall asleep last night for almost an hour because I just kept thinking about all of the awesome parts of rhythm tengoku. It was all I could do not to get up and start playing through it again. RTGold is def. my most anticipated game right now.

Datschge said:
This is why I like Nintendo so much, whenever you pick up a seemingly new name you can still find out checking staff lists that s/he actually has quite a long history at Nintendo already. While many game publishers are just publishers at worst or plain developers at best Nintendo is like the only (remaining) true gaming research institute were long time developers of "traditional" games are allowed to work on ground breaking "non games" as well.

I find that actually to be true for (the remainders of) R&D1 as well, so what major/minor defects of R&D1 do you refer to?
Besides the great Gunpei Yokoi obviously, RiP...

I've never thought of Nintendo as an institute of research, but it's interesting to imagine what goes on over there. With their talent and resources, they can do something mind blowing.

batbeg

I can't see enough of FFIV to know if it's significantly better looking than the PS2 games (which are already fantastic looking), but playing this game with the Wiimote will be a dream come true. Can't wait!

Edit: Infinite film? Did any of the other games have infinite film? I know in 3 it replenished itself if you went back to the waking world, but even so...

I'm always nervous about running out of film, so part of me is happy to see that, but that nervousness is part of the reason the games are so fun.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AniHawk said:

Surfergirl said there were 4 Wario-related projects under development. I remain skeptical, since Nintendo is so notoriously locked up and it's clear her main sources were with Ubisoft, THQ, and Namco. Still, I'm assuming someone at some level of being in the loop tipped her off to this stuff.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Stumpokapow said:
Surfergirl said there were 4 Wario-related projects under development. I remain skeptical, since Nintendo is so notoriously locked up and it's clear her main sources were with Ubisoft, THQ, and Namco. Still, I'm assuming someone at some level of being in the loop tipped her off to this stuff.
Regardless, I definitely see a WarioWare Balance Board edition. I think that's fairly obvious.

Jiggy

TheGrayGhost said:
Woa. I thought NSMB was, next YI and SMG, the best looking platform game, ever. I can't believe a few of you think it was ugly.
TheGrayGhost said:
Judging from screenshots and videos, it has the same problem most of the Kirby games have: weirdo background and foreground pieces which don't fit the style of the character. There's no unifying style.
Between these two posts, I don't know if I could disagree more. TheOneGuy may have said that he was using hyperbole by calling it "ugly," but I'm not sure that I am. There's a horrible clash between the 3D characters with their pixel edges and the beautiful, smooth backgrounds. Kirby Canvas Curse and Kirby Squeak Squad were much better looking, more consistent, and--yes--even more unified.

It's pretty simple for Surfer Girl's rumor to be true.

We've just seen a Wario Land title announced, a WarioWare game is fairly obvious w/ the Balance Board. There's also the possibility of a DS WarioWare sequel, and I could definitely see a Wario Land platformer for the DS, maybe something for WiiWare as well.

But since her sources include Namco, it's not out of the question that they could be developing a Wario title. It'd be interesting what they could come up with. WarioWare Baseball or something?

Jiggy37 said:
Between these two posts, I don't know if I could disagree more. TheOneGuy may have said that he was using hyperbole by calling it "ugly," but I'm not sure that I am. There's a horrible clash between the 3D characters with their pixel edges and the beautiful, smooth backgrounds. Kirby Canvas Curse and Kirby Squeak Squad were much better looking, more consistent, and--yes--even more unified.

Actually, I agree with Kirby Canvas Curse to some extent; beautiful backgrounds but still questionable foreground pieces, at least to me. Kirby Squeek Squad falls in line visually like Nightmare in Dreamland and The Amazing Mirror. But yeah, shame we can't agree on NSMB. But at least we can agree the backgrounds look great.

Just like last time, not entirely sure where to post these (new rumoured trademarks from Japanese companies), but the fact is that any of these could pop-up in one of these thread if they haven't already - i.e. Wario Land, whose trademark renewal was posted recently...
Plus, trademark decoding is happy fun time, so :

Nintendo

商願2008-025464 WiiSummit
商願2008-025465 §大合奏!\バンド\ブラザーズ\DX -> Daigassou\Band\Brothers\DX
商願2008-025466 §突撃!!∞FAmICOmWARS\ファミコンウォーズ∞VS -> Totsugeki !\Famicom Wars\Famicom Wars VS
商願2008-025899 §大合奏!\バンド\ブラザーズ\DX\専用\スピーカーチャンネル -> Daigassou\Band\Brothers\DX\"private"\Speaker Channel
商願2008-026738 バトルレコーダー -> Battle Recorder
商願2008-027104 DSビタミン偉大なる食膳 -> DS Vitamin Idai Naru Shozen ["great vitamin-supplying dishes DS" ? Nutritional Software ?)
商願2008-027105 魔法千字文DS -> "Thousand Chinese Magical Sentences DS" [...Mmmh...Some kind of religious thing ?]

Bandai-Namco

商願2008-023770 バトルユニバース\BATTLEUNIVERSE
商願2008-025857 水の宝物 -> "treasure of the water"

Square-Enix

商願2008-025572 SMILEーLAB

Konami

商願2008-022670 RuriiroRinne\§るり色輪廻
商願2008-025739 純情昭和篇 -> "pure hearted Showa literature"
商願2008-025740 PJ皇帝の逆襲 -> "Counter-attack of the PJ Emperor"...?
商願2008-025741 UrbanCrisis

Taito

商願2008-026094 ダライアス -> DARIUS
商願2008-026872 メルゲーム -> Mel-Game

Sciz

Stormbringer said:
商願2008-025466 §突撃!!∞FAmICOmWARS\ファミコンウォーズ∞VS -> Totsugeki !\Famicom Wars\Famicom Wars VS
Intriguing. Wii title, perhaps?

cvxfreak said:
Wii Summit to solve world conflict!
Unfortunately, seems like the Wii Summit already happened last month, and all we got were some pretty cool Wiiware games :( . Well, maybe next year, as Nintendo will probaly have enough money to buy entire nations and feed everyone on Earth.
Avrum said:
Le gasp!? Darius as in Darius Twin, type Darius?
I'd say, yes. Although admittedly, I know this franchise pretty much from the name only...
Sciz said:
Intriguing. Wii title, perhaps?
Well, IIRC it's the name of Battalion Wars Wii in Japan.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Stormbringer said:
商願2008-025740 PJ皇帝の逆襲 -> "Counter-attack of the PJ Emperor"

This just sounds awesome.

Twig

Banned
Allan Holdsworth said:
(Haven't played Wario: MoD but it is cheap on Amazon so I ordered it.)
Tccch... probably wasn't a good idea.

As a huge Wario Land fan, I like to pretend that MoD never happened. ):

Vinci

Danish
TheGrayGhost said:
I've never thought of Nintendo as an institute of research, but it's interesting to imagine what goes on over there. With their talent and resources, they can do something mind blowing.

Really? That's how I always picture them. I think they largely promote from within, mostly people who have worked under people like Miyamoto and Iwata for some time. Which I think is brilliant 'cause it means that all of its employees are firmly in the Nintendo fold and understand the company's overall philosophy and strategies in the market. When you think that they're putting some pretty high-level talent on what the average gamer would consider to be simplified or 'dumbed down' projects and yet they perform admirably on them, it's saying something for the collective mentality of its workers.

J-Rock said:
Wario Land and Fatal Frame! Very nice. I hope we get some better quality screens or video soon. Fire Emblem DS can't come out soon enough.

That reminds me, we really need to see Fire Emblem in action. The tiny screens so far gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach. Judging by the way the Armor Knight attacks, it looks like they just recolored the GBA sprites for this game. Very disappointing if true.

Top Bottom