• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NSMBU+NSLU Wii U Bundle incoming (?)

Chittagong

Gold Member
sörine;82213833 said:
The " Black Wii U GamePad 6.2" " line has me wondering if we'll see a smaller Gamepad model in the future?

My thoughts exactly, what a weird thing to add out of a sudden

The entire point of digital is not letting you trade or sell your games. They don't want to devalue their own software, but still want to give you an incentive to buy. As for lending, let's be square here: Anyone who has a Wii U will sooner or later own NSMBU, so that's a moot point.

Last, there's it not costing Nintendo anything. That's false. It's costing them the sale of those two games. You're much less likely to go out and buy retail copies of those games, since you have access to the downloads.
The entire point of digital is being a worse product? Okay.

Why would every one who ever owns a Wii U own NSMBU? There are plenty of other games to buy on the Wii U. It's not as if every Wii owner bought NSMBWii. I didn't. Don't pull stuff out of your ass.

Costing them potential sales isnt a very compelling argument. You have no evidence that the people who buy this bundle would have bought the games individually.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Still a tough sell at $300, and yes, that's because there's going to be stiff competition this year- between the 2 new consoles, and their 2 old consoles being put out there as a cheaper option, Ninty has plenty to worry about.

Plus I can see more confusions here:

"why does junior want another Wii?"

"Why does this Wii come with 2 of the same game, but one is green?"

The former can be covered easily if they do a decent advertising blitz.

As for the latter, consumers are dumb, they they aren't that dumb.

The Boat

sörine;82213833 said:
The " Black Wii U GamePad 6.2" " line has me wondering if we'll see a smaller Gamepad model in the future?

They might make smaller, cheaper Gamepads for multiplayer purposes.

Mariolee

sörine;82213833 said:

Nice catch. I could see them doing this for multiplayer purposes, if someone breaks/loses their original Gamepad, or to reduce the price of the whole unit.

jts

...hate me...
I'd so much buy this bundle instead of what I got (NintendoLand). I feel like I pulled the trigger on the Wii U a hair too soon.

I don't hate NintendoLand but I think that it is €20 material, which is not far from what you can find it going for in retail deals, so really... new bundle buyers aren't missing out on anything. Esp. because they get Mario or Zelda, 2 games that you'll not find for cheap anytime soon.

Jarlaxle

Sony dropped the PS3 price the spring after launch. Console prices almost always drop within a year of launch...
Fair enough but don't give me this bullshit about Almost Always dropping the price within a year of launch. Name some other consoles that did that and I hope that it's most of them as would be implied by almost always.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
No I would not be. I'd be getting something I can't lend, trade or sell and is costing Nintendo absolutely nothing in including.

As is the VITA bundle that provides a variety of free games via the PS + program. The value of a game is not determined if one has a physical copy or not. Furthermore, Nintendo's lower manufacturing cost does not undermine that fact that Nintendo is providing 80$ of content included in the bundle nonetheless. I don't get your point.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
sörine;82213833 said:

Good catch.

But is the GamePad in the image supposed to represent that? It doesn't look any smaller.

$249 is the optimal price for this system, with it hitting $199 in a few years. $299 + game is a good deal if you actually want the bundled game. For example, I actually want WWHD so $299 is my jumping on point this christmas.

I think these days are over. There's not really any benefit for the first party to bundle a physical copy. Digital copy is an equally good incentive for most people, and it keeps people from just dumping the game off into the used market so the bundled game doesn't plummet in value. Plus it's cheaper since there's no manufacturing cost involved for the game.

And I'm surprised Nintendo isn't including demos for upcoming games or other holiday games too. Having a "Demos" app with a few games and trailers for some others would be good advertising, and being able to slap Mario Kart on the bundle box along with NSMB would be pretty huge.

I can't see a single benefit to buy digital games from Nintendo, I don't wanna get involved with their awfully restrictive digital platform for the simple reason that accounts are tied to hardware. Also, how much does manufacturing discs cost nowadays? Not much more than selling and shipping them separatly. I'm getting the GTA 5 PS3 bundle soon and in december a PS4 bundle with Killzone, both bundles include a physical copy, I would hate the idea of downloading those games on launch day.

The value of a game is not determined if one has a physical copy or not. Furthermore, Nintendo's lower manufacturing cost does not undermine that fact that Nintendo is providing 80$ of content included in the bundle nonetheless. I don't get your point.
Maybe to you. If I can't lend it then it's worth nothing. I imagine some people who have issue with digital would have issue with not being able to sell.

What is so difficult to understand? I'm saying digital would suck and I don't see the $80 worth of value here.

Rocky

Banned
When will we get white Wii U bundles? Black smears to hell and white looks sexy.

Don't hold your breath. Remember, Reggie says White hardware doesn't sell in America. When they pulled the Basic bundle, I'll bet he got on the phone to Japan and said "Told ya so" lol.

weevles

This is really the bundle they should've done at launch. I know they were confident in the beginning that the system would sell itself and that Mario needed to be a standalone title, but unfortunately for them, Nintendoland was no Wii Sports. Indeed, the Wii brand was no where near as powerful as they believed it was.

Rocky

Banned
I can't see a single benefit to buy digital games from Nintendo, I don't wanna get involved with their awfully restrictive digital platform for the simple reason that accounts are tied to hardware. Also, how much does manufacturing discs cost nowadays? Not much more than selling and shipping them separatly. I'm getting the GTA 5 PS3 bundle soon and in december a PS4 bundle with Killzone, both bundles include a physical copy, I would hate the idea of downloading those games on launch day.

I'm betting the game(s) are preinstalled. Not only to avoid high traffic/slow downloads on launch but to discourage reselling of download codes.

sörine

Banned
Fair enough but don't give me this bullshit about Almost Always dropping the price within a year of launch. Name some other consoles that did that and I hope that it's most of them as would be implied by almost always.
Just among Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft the SNES, Playstation, N64, Gamecube, Xbox, PS3 and now Wii U all price dropped within their first year in the US.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Maybe to you. If I can't lend it then it's worth nothing. I imagine some people who have issue with digital would have issue with not being able to sell.

What is so difficult to understand? I'm saying digital would suck and I don't see the $80 worth of value here.

Are you saying that this is a bad move by Nintendo? If so, what do you think they should do instead? Would the same bundle be a good idea if it came with the physical disk? To how many people do you think that this is a deal breaker to the point where they would buy the bundle with the disk but not buy it with the game pre installed? If it is too cost prohibitive for Nintendo to consider releasing the bundle with the physical disk, do you think they would be better off just not releasing the digital bundle at all?

SCReuter

Can anyone make out what it says above "New Super Mario Bros. U" and to the bottom right of "New Super Luigi U"?

vwOnO9D.png

Metallix87

The entire point of digital is being a worse product? Okay.

Why would every one who ever owns a Wii U own NSMBU? There are plenty of other games to buy on the Wii U. It's not as if every Wii owner bought NSMBWii. I didn't. Don't pull stuff out of your ass.

Costing them potential sales isnt a very compelling argument. You have no evidence that the people who buy this bundle would have bought the games individually.

I'm not pulling stuff out of my ass. NSMBU has a high sellthrough right now, and it's status as a Mario title will make it an evergreen seller. Most Wii U owners will own it eventually.

I don't have proof of that, no, but I can reasonably presume people who bought this bundle have almost zero chance of going out and buying them.

You're trying to undervalue Mario's selling power and popularity, and that's wrong.

Subaru

OMFG people are so boring.

There are multiple system bundles:
- Nintendoland (an original and unique game);
- Zelda Wind Waker HD (awesome)
- NSMBU + NSLU = more than 160 awesome stages to play + an addicting and hard challenge mode;

Honestly, those who complains will never buy a Wii U. Now there are several incredible games (Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Rayman, Monster Hunter 3, Lego City Undercover) and others to launch (DKCTF, Sonic TLW, SM3DW, Wind Waker HD).
I get it if you don't like these games, but it's a Nintendo console, what you're expecting? Uncharted?)

jts

...hate me...
Can anyone make out what it says above "New Super Mario Bros. U" and to the bottom right of "New Super Luigi U"?

vwOnO9D.png

I'm thinking "2 games included" on the top and bottom is "+ bonus ...". Can't guess the last word.

khaaan

One thing that was brought up is that getting NSMBU + NSLU will make customers think that it's equivalent to a $220 WiiU. Even if that is the case customers will not think in this way, the interpretation will be $300 WiiU with two free games. Although a Mario pack-in is a great idea the buzz around the franchise in both enthusiast and casual gaming crowd is quite low. I feel like a huge number of the people out there that'll be looking for a Nintendo system for the holidays will be going for a 3DS and Pokemon. The PS4 and XBone are much more expensive but the amount of noise that'll be around them is sure to capture peoples attentions. I'm sure this WiiU bundle that'll theoretically be everywhere will help move some units, it'll get purchases off of brand recognition as well as from people who really want a WiiU and were going to buy those two games anyways...but I don't see it making an impact on the current situation.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

So if one goes by your logic, your perceived value of a digital-only-title such as Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon at 14.99$ would be worthless as one would not be able to sell or lend the title afterwards?

I'm just trying to understand your point here.

Dysun

Not everybody wants NSBU or it's expansion. Do not equate the current attach rate for its lifetime potential. The Wii version was owned by 30%, an absurd number in its own right. Some people are going to find value, while others dont. Personally I dont want those games, if the Wii U had a holiday bundle with 3D Worlds for 300 I'd be much more compelled

daripad

- NSMBU + NSLU = more than 160 awesome stages to play + an addicting and hard challenge mode;

Honestly, those who complains will never buy a Wii U. Now there are several incredible games (Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Rayman, Monster Hunter 3, Lego City Undercover) and others to launch (DKCTF, Sonic TLW, SM3DW, Wind Waker HD).
I get it if you don't like these games, but it's a Nintendo console, what you're expecting?
Uncharted?)

Not everyone lives in the US with those amazing prices you get compared to what we get in Latin America :(

But yes, the console does have games (add Sonic all stars racing there and Watch Dogs and Zombie U) . I'll try to get the Zelda bundle during the holidays (I don't care if new or used, I just want that bundle to have both my 3DS and WiiU on the same style) when I know I'll sabe enough money for it.

Subaru

Not everyone lives in the US with those amazing prices you get compared to what we get in Latin America :(

But yes, the console does have games (add Sonic all stars racing there and Watch Dogs and Zombie U) . I'll try to get the Zelda bundle during the holidays (I don't care if new or used, I just want that bundle to have both my 3DS and WiiU on the same style) when I know I'll sabe enough money for it.

Yes, I know. I'm from Brazil and I think that's why I get so angry about these price complains. Here Wii costs USD 300,00, so Wii U seems very cheap with games!

And I just wanted to mention exclusive games (and I forgot ZombiU), but we have Just Dance too... I didn't mentioned Mario and Sonic @ Sochi, Wii U Party and Wii FIt U.

daripad

Yes, I know. I'm from Brazil and I think that's why I get so angry about these price complains. Here Wii costs USD 300,00, so Wii U seems very cheap with games!

And I just wanted to mention exclusive games (and I forgot ZombiU), but we have Just Dance too... I didn't mentioned Mario and Sonic @ Sochi, Wii U Party and Wii FIt U.

You mentioned Monster Hunter 3 :p

In Mexico a deluxe WiiU costs right now $700 in most stores. Though some have lowered the price to $650 which is still too much. $300 is really a gift, I wish I lived near the border to go to the US and buy the damn console, I would have the console and five games at this point.

SCReuter

It's definitely "2 games" and then it looks like "included" up top. Way too blurry on the bottom to see!

Yeah, I can't tell if it's "2 Games Included" or "2 Games Pre-Installed" or something else. If the software is digital, it should say so next to the game titles, just like with the Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land bundles.

For every exclusive Nintendo game, there are huge games like GTA and Destiny that aren't coming to the Wii U. Lots of people don't count third party games in these arguments because they aren't 'exclusive' but you can't get them on the Wii U. A bundle with 3D Land would do well, but I'm willing to bet that a 360 or PS3 bundle with GTA V even at this stage will sell better.

The people that want these games likely already have a system to play them on. By "broader market" I'm really referring to the families who play games together, of whom for which those games were not made. Arguing about which of those markets is bigger is pointless, because I'm not saying one is more popular than the other, and it's highly debatable which one actually is. I'm just saying that those exclusive Nintendo games have the potential to draw in plenty of buyers, assuming Nintendo handles the situation well enough. Whether GAF thinks so or not, Nintendo IPs still have of sway in the market. There just hasn't been any decent incentive as of yet, but this bundle is a good start.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

I get it if you don't like these games, but it's a Nintendo console, what you're expecting? Uncharted?)

It's also worth pointing out that there's going to be a Lego City bundle too. http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ade-price-lego-city-hardware-bundle-incoming/

So if one goes by your logic, your perceived value of a digital-only-title such as Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon at 14.99$ would be worthless as one would not be able to sell or lend the title afterwards?

I'm just trying to understand your point here.
Well I can lend that game because the platforms its on don't have a totally incompetent account system. So no, not completely worthless.
Are you saying that this is a bad move by Nintendo?
All I'm saying is this is a bad move for all the people who don't want digital and will avoid the WWHD bundle and this one (if it is digital and not physical).

I'm not pulling stuff out of my ass. NSMBU has a high sellthrough right now, and it's status as a Mario title will make it an evergreen seller. Most Wii U owners will own it eventually.

I don't have proof of that, no, but I can reasonably presume people who bought this bundle have almost zero chance of going out and buying them.

You're trying to undervalue Mario's selling power and popularity, and that's wrong.
It has a high sell through rate when there was nothing else worth getting. You really think the majority of Wii U owners are going to own it once 3DWorld and DKCTF come out and the Wii U starts picking up? That seems really silly and horrible excuse someone would make to dismiss lending.

So they don't lose anything out of this.

No I'm not. WTF are you talking about. Where did I do that?

jivran

Neo Member
If I didn't have my WiiU already, I would definitely buy this version. New Super Luigi U is one of my favorite games on the system.

The idea is great though it should have been done at console launch. At least november is another good time to launch this bundle.

Hadn't I already bought a Wii U months ago, I would have been pretty tempted by this bundle.

What disappoints me a little is that those are digital copies; not that I have some personale issues about this "no account system what if I accidentally throw my console out of the window", it's just that I REALLY like physical copies, even just to arrange the cases on a shelf.

But all of this at 299 is still tempting

Llyranor

Man, I would have preferred this to the Wind Waker bundle I ordered. That being said, with W101 finally out in North America, I'm not waiting any later than next week to get the system, so I guess that's that.

Top Bottom