• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Online PC Robot Shooter - Figureheads : by Square Enix

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Trailer for a new PC online shooter called Figureheads, by Square Enix.
Slated for a 2015 release and current plans is for a F2P model with item purchases.
5 vs 5 gameplay.

http://figureheads.jp/
Site will get another update on the 10th of June / Click image to watch or use link below.
Trailer

Looks like they are going after that Border Break kind of crowd with this, seeing how you can customize your pilot avatar also, which is shown in the video.

At least we know what happened to the Front Mission team at SQEX...
;p

TPS cover shooter? Odd, but it looks alright. Hopefully the F2P elements aren't gameplay-affecting.

And animu girls are the mech pilots? That's possibly cool, but I'd rather customize the mech >_>

Parakeetman

TPS cover shooter? Odd, but it looks alright. Hopefully the F2P elements aren't gameplay-affecting.

And animu girls are the mech pilots? That's possibly cool, but I'd rather customize the mech >_>

With how popular the avatar editing was in Border Break, most def thats where SQEX took the influence from.

Its actually a good thing since it gives players a bit more character when in things like the lobby and such. Or however they plan on using the avatar system. Would imaging people will be shelling out for not only equipment for their units but also the avatars haha.

Though what we can see so far with the robot designs is not too hot personally...
Everything was Chappie
maxresdefault.jpg

Parakeetman

Sold

Sega had their chance damnit. Not liking the 5v5 bit though. Could and should be bigger.

Smaller numbers = faster game cycles. Otherwise too much of waiting around for players to fill the server which = more drop outs in between.

Design wise 5 vs 5 is not too bad as long as the maps are designed correctly.

Am sure they want to run smaller numbers at first too to get things balanced out and see what kind of player interest there is. If things go well just like Border Break they build on the series via updates and such.

zennyzz

I like that trailer song way too much than I should.

No real particular opinion of the game itself, though I'm always for more mecha.

Oh man I am not digging the music in the trailer at all. Doesn't fit the trailer at all IMO...

It's got robots and is free to play though so I will play it.

Parakeetman

Just 2 more days away till the site gets updated so hopefully will have more info then.

Mechazawa

This literally looks like they just made the most bog standard, slow, cover shooter they could possibly make and swapped human character models out for mechs to compensate.

Parakeetman

Eh, looks really, really slow compared to Border Break.

Yeah nothing too exciting really either, but you know how sqex is...

Its a damned shame sega has not brought BB to the pc yet as its pretty damned good. I used to play a bit in the early days when had time.

CTLance

This literally looks like they just made the most bog standard, slow, cover shooter they could possibly make and swapped human character models out for mechs to compensate.
Don't forget the girls in skimpy outfits in the pilot seats. They're customisable!

First they give some Terminator wibes with the scenery and the music and then *blam* Japanese pop culture to the max. This is like a mash up of popular western and Japanese video game imaginary.

I shall keep my eyes on this.

edit: It's PC only. Oh well.

Parakeetman

You know they really just should have made it a Front Mission game. At least that one already has a ton of predesigned weapons and parts existing.

Not to mention looks better than what we got here...

Durante

The gameplay does look really slow. Now, huge mech games are supposed to be slow, but it doesn't look like it plays like one of those at all. It looks like it plays like a slow TPS with humans would play. A very slow TPS.

squall23

Smaller numbers = faster game cycles. Otherwise too much of waiting around for players to fill the server which = more drop outs in between.

Design wise 5 vs 5 is not too bad as long as the maps are designed correctly.

Am sure they want to run smaller numbers at first too to get things balanced out and see what kind of player interest there is. If things go well just like Border Break they build on the series via updates and such.
I feel Border Break's player cap hits the right spot. Whereas Gundam Online is friggin' 50 vs 50. Actually, now that I think about it, Gundam Online is essentially just Border Break with larger maps and a Gundam spray paint, pilot customization included.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
K watched some videos from the last beta since I had never heard of this game. Way too slow.

Wonder if they've changed that. It's been a while since the last beta.

Top Bottom