• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Overwatch Animated Short: "Rise and Shine"

Betty

Banned
People who hate Mei are weird.

Pharah, Tracer and Genji are far more irritating to fight against 90% of the time and a half decent team can crush a Mei.

So huh, what kind of info she gathered those 9 years to be super important? I didnt understand that part pretty well, just climate changes?

Blues1990

For Overwatch or a Disney game?

Overwatch, obviously.

They also brought some of the cinematic models, and the whole process of repurposing the in-game assets for the CGI shorts was quite fascinating. It was a great talk, and I think the whole process was recorded and is on the GDC website. Check it out.

So huh, what kind of info she gathered those 9 years to be super important? I didnt understand that part pretty well, just climate changes?

I was confused on that point, as wasn't it a given that the majority of the info that research point collected over the years was mostly lost?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Overwatch, obviously.

They also brought some of the cinematic models, and the whole process of repurposing the in-game assets for the CGI shorts was quite fascinating. It was a great talk, and I think the whole process was recorded and is on the GDC website. Check it out.
How a Hero is Mei'd?

Mei has rapidly been gaining most of my playing time over the last few months. She's just got so much damn utility and survivability and is super fun to play with. The biggest challenge was finally getting used to the timing of her projectile. Frankly, playing Mei with a D.Va partner is some of the most fun you can have. Just defense matrix them in the face while they get frozen, it's glorious.

Given the stance of the current administration, I imagine she might be in a future where yet another Trump like person was elected which automatically elevates Mei to "our last hope" type hero lol

So, likelihood that the anomaly and one of her dead comrades leads to another character?

Honestly, I just look at all these shorts and trailers for new characters. Junkertown's Queen? New character. Mei's dead friends, new characters. MORE NEW CHARACTERS!

Man Winston is stupid

You mean OW, those guys made an expedition and forget about the crew for 9 years?

So, likelihood that the anomaly and one of her dead comrades leads to another character?

Honestly, I just look at all these shorts and trailers for new characters. Junkertown's Queen? New character. Mei's dead friends, new characters. MORE NEW CHARACTERS!

But everyone died on Mei's group, at least the JT queen is alive

Phu

Banned
Or she thought with the batteries dead and the bot out of power he was gone forever. Then she found some solar panels and got him juiced.

There's no way she didn't know her dear robot friend, Snowball, had rechargeable batteries and would be fine if the batteries drained. Also, there's no way she didn't know the lab had solar panels.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Leaked new villain:
rehost%2F2016%2F9%2F13%2Fd6d4f4b2-ab39-4435-80d8-780b549057d7.png

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Things like this makes me wish this game had single player. Im not in to MP but i do like look of the characters.

Espada

What anomaly are they talking about in this? Has it been referenced before? Like MHWilliams, I often assume details like that are hinting at future characters or shorts. Maybe the anomaly is Talon related?

If she's only been asleep 9 years, that really changes things. I thought Overwatch folded a long time ago.

WatTsu

This was a great short. Blizzard remains in a class by itself, even if their writing isn't always up to snuff. (And I can't help it, I got a little misty-eyed at the end.)

kabel

What anomaly are they talking about in this? Has it been referenced before? Like MHWilliams, I often assume details like that are hinting at future characters or shorts. Maybe the anomaly is Talon related?

If she's only been asleep 9 years, that really changes things. I thought Overwatch folded a long time ago.

She said the data could save millions of people.

So I go with: climate change data

Pretty good, but her reaction to finding out all her colleagues were dead was weirdly unemotional. She reacted with more anguish when her AI with a rechargeable battery powered down.

Still Mei is the best.

mas8705

Well, they do say that the evilest of villains do have the most tragic of origin stories after all... /sarcasm

Still, if you had to cover heroes with the tragic back stories, you can go wrong with Mei. Unlike the other heroes who got to see the fall of Overwatch (only ones I can think of that didn't were Bastion for being decommissioned for so long and Orisa for being built after the airport skirmish), Mei got a triple dose of "Screw you" in the form of finding out that Overwatch fell apart during the nine years she was frozen, the base is basically barren and no one knew that there was one survivor, and because of that barren status, she was the only lucky survivor as the rest sadly died while frozen.

Overall, this is definitely one of the best shorts we've gotten just in terms of story telling. The others were good too in their own rights (Junkrat's for comedy, Sombra's for the action, etc. etc.) but this one does tug at the heart strings a bit to see how much Mei lost.

Starts a comp match. Bitches choose Widow and Hanzo immediately.

People who hate Mei are weird.

Pharah, Tracer and Genji are far more irritating to fight against 90% of the time and a half decent team can crush a Mei.

Pharrah is the worst gaming character ever for me. No respect for that piece of trash or the people that play her.

HeatBoost

But everyone died on Mei's group, at least the JT queen is alive

yeah but blizzard

(see; reaper, ana, genji)

There's no way she didn't know her dear robot friend, Snowball, had rechargeable batteries and would be fine if the batteries drained. Also, there's no way she didn't know the lab had solar panels.

she could've just been sad he was powered down and left her alone and not mourning his permanent death forever, you realize

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Mei is fantastic since her powers have so many uses for different scenarios. Maybe if entire teams wouldn't focus on the frozen woman in the middle of their camp they'd see the rest of my team coming in to wreck their shit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mutant

They should change her projectile. Freezing her opponents so she can drive a spike into their head is a little... antithetical to her good nature. That aspect always weirded me out. I think for the most part Overwatch does a good job matching how a hero plays to their personality, except when it comes to Mei.

Like instead make them ice balls or something.

They should change her projectile. Freezing her opponents so she can drive a spike into their head is a little... antithetical to her good nature. That aspect always weirded me out. I think for the most part Overwatch does a good job matching how a hero plays to their personality, except when it comes to Mei.

Deep down they know how sinister she actually is.

Village

Yep, like DC rebirth bringing back old characters

"hey, do think this guy is cool? yes? no?"

"yes? new character"

Genryu

Banned

Yes, instead of Mei giving them a quick and painless death with an ice spike she should literally bash their heads into craters with balls of ice.

To be fair, if you think about the logical consequences of all the weapons, almost EVERY hero is too brutal for their nature.

Winston's weapon should logically flash-fry people into blackened messes, Pharah should be leaving behind bloody chunks, Tracer's pistols should turn someone into a mess of swiss cheese, etc. Even that cute ice gun would logically kill someone near instantly if you froze them in a block like that.

You just have to kind of not look too deeply into any of it if it doesn't show in the game. Mei isn't driving ice spikes into people's brains, the icicles just splat apart on people and make a meter go down.

Top Bottom