• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Overwatch Animated Short: "Rise and Shine"

Animation was nice but I can't say it did much for me. I also can't get over that Mei spent all that time and energy to make freeze gun so she could... climb a couple small gaps on a tower. I guess they don't have ropes in the Overwatch universe.

Snowballs sacrifice doesn't work as it wasn't permanent, it would have been better to have 2 companion robots and have one of them do the ultimate sacrifice.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Let's be real though, Mei is still quite idealized for her body type, Blizzard's waifu game is just strong enough to still include some variance in their near perfect knockouts. XD

This video was adorable. Finally getting to see casual Mei was great.
Idk, she's the most realistic out of the cast in terms of depiction. I wouldn't exactly call any aspect idealized.

Animation was nice but I can't say it did much for me. I also can't get over that Mei spent all that time and energy to make freeze gun so she could... climb a couple small gaps on a tower. I guess they don't have ropes in the Overwatch universe.
All to hear just small second long snippets of a recording lol. People would be so pissed if they tried to make a movie considering Blizzard's writing.

Finaika

Damn Blizzard CG is still top notch. I know losers have a knee jerk reaction to Bolt when they see Mei, but I think it was really cute to show how she got Tangled up in this situation. Was really neat to see her create those Frozen platforms with her ice gun too. Haters should just Let It Go.

It's Incredible that you are trying to chew me Inside Out over this when all I'm saying is that Blizzard's CG team is on the Up and up. You really are Brave.

Moan
a

HKA6A7

Snowballs sacrifice doesn't work as it wasn't permanent, it would have been better to have 2 companion robots and have one of them do the ultimate sacrifice.
It does work, Snowball's actions made sense.

What doesn't work? Mei's reaction... She is someone who makes a cryo gun and yet doesn't seem aware that the 'bot could be recharged.
Which she does, later.
Making her reaction even sillier.

One short has a genocidal, emotionless killing machine responsible for the deaths of countless innocents.

The other features Bastion.
wait-good-point_o_1144675.jpg

Crossing Eden

What doesn't work? Mei's reaction... Who makes a cryo gun and yet she doesn't seem aware that the 'bot could be recharged.
Which she does, later.
To be fair, her reaction is the exact same reaction I have when my phone dies.
8xdA8HT.gif

Kenji17

Banned
Can the "Mae is Satan/cancer lololol" jokes please die already? I don't understand what's so annoying about her. I've played hundreds of Overwatch games, and Mae is by far not the most obnoxious hero to fight against.

These characters look dopey as shit to me, especially the first one. I don't like modern Disney animation at all.

What doesn't work? Mei's reaction... Who makes a cryo gun and yet she doesn't seem aware that the 'bot could be recharged.
Which she does, later.

Are you telling me she doesn't know her companion Bot works on rechargeable batteries? She though it was a one use thing? Ahahahahahah nope. Good try though, I give you that.

Blues1990

Can the "Mae is Satan/cancer lololol" jokes please die already? I don't understand what's so annoying about her. I've played hundreds of Overwatch games, and Mae is by far not the most obnoxious hero to fight against.

I think the hate stems from the following:

• Mei players heckling their teammates, a la ice walling them in the spawn room.
  • Falling for the Freeze>Head-Shot>Death pattern when fighting a Mei player.
  • Mei's kit designed for stalling enemies with her ice block and ice wall.
  • She's an exceptional time-waster and her ult is very good at making objectives that you were just about to cap a death-zone, to buy time for her team to come back and wipe you again.
  • Mei can also be really annoying to have on your team with misplacing walls (accidentally and deliberately).

Azoor

Her reactions seem (pardon the pun) cold to me. I mean I would have been more reaction if I realized that all my co-workers had died and I have been asleep for 9 years.

mao2

This is great, and it's probably my favorite because both Mei and Snowball are so adorable. I actually teared up a little too... :')

I'm a sucker for the "pure" character.

A more cynical character, after learning here team was basically abandoned by Overwatch, would move straight to some sense of revenge or anger.
But Mei decides to keep going, use the research data and rejoin Overwatch for the sake of moving forward. It's actually crazy adorable.

Maybe a bit naive, but earnest 😐Could use more people like that.

HKA6A7

Are you telling me she doesn't know her companion Bot works on rechargeable batteries? She though it was a one use thing? Ahahahahahah nope. Good try though, I give you that.

What? No!
What I'm telling you, is that she knows it, the bot knows it... Even the viewer learns of it at the beggining, and yet, she somehow behaves like's the end of the world.

That's what doesn't work on that scene, not the "sacrifice" itself , but how odd the character reacts to that, which is accentuated even more at the end.

Crossing Eden

These characters look dopey as shit to me, especially the first one. I don't like modern Disney animation at all.
Pretty sure that first character is literally a stoner. And seriously Disney is straight up the best CGI animation studio hands down.
Genuinely thought it would be unfair to include anything from Moana as that film has so many little nuances in how muscles contort in that film.

Elsa's expression is scaring me.
In hindsight that's not really the best gif because it's literally a gif that's in the middle of a long EEEEEEEEEEE note.

What? No!
What I'm telling you, is that she knows it, the bot knows it... Even the viewer learns of it at the beggining, and yet, she somehow behaves like's the end of the world.

That's what doesn't work on that scene, not the "sacrifice" itself , but how odd the character reacts to that, which is accentuated even more at the end.

OK now I understand what you were trying to say, yeah her reaction was odd indeed if she had previous knowledge of how the bot works.

TP

What? No!

My immediate thought during that scene was that she was now alone and how much it would suck if her plan didn't work out and she had to sit there in the dark by herself until she came up with something else

or died

Pilgrimzero

What? No!

Or she thought with the batteries dead and the bot out of power he was gone forever. Then she found some solar panels and got him juiced.

So how does this all shakeout in the overall Overwatch timeline? I'm surprised Me knew Winston 9 years ago, but looking at his age, I guess Winston escaped and was a part of Overwatch before he was twenty. I assume Mei and Tracer never ever overlapped since Tracer is only 26 now.

Blues1990

I'm a sucker for the "pure" character.

A more cynical character, after learning here team was basically abandoned by Overwatch, would move straight to some sense of revenge or anger.
But Mei decides to keep going, use the research data and rejoin Overwatch for the sake of moving forward. It's actually crazy adorable.

Maybe a bit naive, but earnest 😐Could use more people like that.

It's part of the reason why I also like Tracer and Winston, as far as characters go. Their optimism is quite infectious, and it's a great change that the miserable grump of the cast (Reaper) is more of an extreme parody of the "Tall, Dark, & Grim" archetype.

What? No!

One of the biggest issues that I have with the short, is the progression of time.

Given how seasons work in the arctic, and how power at the station was on it's last legs, it would've been months before she could recharge Snowball. Coupled with her loss of her friends/co-workers, Mei would've been in isolation.

Pretty sure that first character is literally a stoner. And seriously Disney is straight up the best CGI animation studio hands down.
Genuinely thought it would be unfair to include anything from Moana as that film has so many little nuances in how muscles contort in that film.

In hindsight that's not really the best gif because it's literally a gif that's in the middle of a long EEEEEEEEEEE note.

I was able to mess around with the character models, and their rigs were pretty impressive for being in-game assets. Really impressive stuff.

Top Bottom