• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Pokemon Diamond/Pearl scans

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Zilch said:
I believe the simplistic style is done on purpose. They are not aiming for anything realistic or extremely detailed.
Probably, since the game is in 3D outside of battles and hardly anybody can tell.

Brofist

TheGreatDave said:
I've always assumed it's kind of intentional to keep the games regognisable to the audience. But there's really not that much more they need to do with it, really. A few nice effects in battle perhaps.

Or more like the game will sell 20 million copies even on a $20 budget with graphics that look like pre N64 anyway so why bother.

kpop100 said:
Or more like the game will sell 20 million copies even on a $20 budget with graphics that look like pre N64 anyway so why bother.

At least they seem to be putting some effort in to Pokemon Wii I guess. It's a bit disappointing they do this with all the real games, but I don't think it affects the game too much.

Zilch

Banned
You really think Game Freak employees say to each other "This game will sell a few million guaranteed, let's make it look as shitty as possible?"

jj984jj

Zilch said:
You really think Game Freak employees say to each other "This game will sell a few million guaranteed, let's make it look as shitty as possible?"
:lol

Probably.

Brofist

Zilch said:

Nah I wouldn't say that, but they know graphics aren't a selling point of the series, so there is no need to do more than need be.

Who am I kidding that's probably exactly what they said word for word.

Zilch said:

It's probably more Iwata screaming "GET THIS DONE FOR SEPTEMEMBER!", staring at Sony's HQ, laughing.

Zilch

Banned
It seems like Game Freak is more concerned with tightening up gameplay mechanics and introducing new gameplay features rather than pushing the DS's graphics capabilities to FFIII-levels.

*shrug* It would be nice to have 3D battles and fully animated pokemon, but I'm not going to complain that we're not getting that.

ethelred

It doesn't look shitty, though. They're cartoony 2D graphics, certainly, but that style is deliberate and hardly shitty in the first place. The game looks fine. Not everything needs to be 3D -- especially on the DS, where most 3D genuinely DOES look like shit.

There's nothing ****ing wrong with 2D.

Game Freak probably has more important things to do with this game than mess around with a new engine. I am sure balancing issues is a huge headache with a Pokemon, not to mention making sure WiFi is working correctly, move capabilities are correct, moves aren't overpowering, and making sure the gameplay has evolved in some aspects. Play testing must be a real pain in the Pokebutt.

Zilch said:
*shrug* It would be nice to have 3D battles and fully animated pokemon, but I'm not going to complain that we're not getting that.

We would probably be looking at a MUCH later release date if they had to work with a 3-D battle engine. Can you imagine animating the 200+ Pokemon, plus tons of moves, PLUS making it look not ugly on the DS?

Zilch

Banned
ethelred said:
It doesn't look shitty, though. They're cartoony 2D graphics, certainly, but that style is deliberate and hardly shitty in the first place. The game looks fine. Not everything needs to be 3D -- especially on the DS, where most 3D genuinely DOES look like shit.

There's nothing ****ing wrong with 2D.

Actually, the field maps ARE 3D.

Soul4ger

Jesus ****ing Christ, NO 3D BATTLES HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED POKEMON STADIUM OR COLOSSEUM THEY LAST FOREVER! NO! NO 3D BATTLES! SHUT UP! Could they potentially streamline them, to make them quicker? Yes. Do I think it would happen with a DS installment? No. NO 3D BATTLES SHUT UP!

ethelred

Zilch said:
Actually, the field maps ARE 3D.

Minor 3D, at most. It's still 2D gameplay, and it's mostly the sort of 3D graphical enhancement that mostly just helps spruce up an overall 2D appearance more. I mean, there were some elements of Dawn of Sorrow's backgrounds that were 3D, too, but it was still a 2D game in terms of visuals and gameplay.

jj984jj

Zilch said:
It seems like Game Freak is more concerned with tightening up gameplay mechanics and introducing new gameplay features rather than pushing the DS's graphics capabilities to FFIII-levels.

I'd hate for 3D battles, but the could at least make a better looking system on the DS. Attacks are still performed is a similar fashion as they always have been. :\

temjin

Banned
jj984jj said:
I'd hate for 3D battles, but the could at least make a better looking system on the DS. Attacks are still performed is a similar fashion as they always have been. :\
Er... Weren't you the one saying that things have changes too much from the RBY days?

ivysaur12

Banned
More info from Serebii.net:

-Cherimu is a Grass Type Pokémon. Classification of Sakura Pokémon. It has a brand new ability called Flower Head which powers itself and any teammates up when Sunny Day is in effect. It has an attack called Trouble Seed. This attack changes the foe's ability to Insomnia temporarily.
-Pachirisu is an Electric Type Pokémon. Classification of Electric Squirrel Pokémon. It has either Run Away or Pick Up for it's abilities. It knows Thunderbolt/
-Dorapion is a Poison/Dark Type Pokémon. Classification of Changeable Scorpion Pokémon. It has either Battle Armor or a new ability called Snipe which increases the base value of an attack during critical hit. It knows Poison Fang. It has an attack called Cross Poison. This attack has a high chance of Critical Hitting and Poisoning.
-Tamanta is a Water/Flying Type Pokémon. It's Abilities are Swift Swim and Water Absorb.
-Perappu is now a Normal/Flying Type Pokémon. It's abilities are Keen Eye & a new Ability called Unstable Gait which allows for evasion to increase when confused.
-Lucario's second ability is called Humble Heart which increases Lucario's speed when flinched. Lucario has a new attack called Wave Guiding Bomb. It's a Fighting Type Attack. Lucario also knows Detect & Quick Attack.
-Munchlax has an attack called Nature Spurt which used the berry Munchlax may be holding to change the strength and type of an attack.
-Weavile has an attack called Freeze. This attack disables the hold item that the opponent has.
-Buizeru has an attack called Aqua Jet. This attack always hits first.
-Evil Team is Team Galaxy who are stealing Pokémon everywhere and trief to befriend the professor.
-Seperate rival other than the other gender. He is your childhood rival and although he is sometimes rash, he helps you along the way.
-Bottom of Pokémon Center is for WiFi features which utilise Friend Codes.
-Bottom Screen during battles confirmed for Menus.
-In Battle, the bag is organised as thus: HP/PP Recovery, Pokéballs, Status Recovery, Battle Use .

Only thing here that kind of gets me dissapointed is that Perappu is Normal/Flying. I was hoping we were going to get a pure Flying, like it had originally been thought.

jj984jj

temjin said:
Er... Weren't you the one saying that things have changes too much from the RBY days?
Art is very different from gameplay mechanics. It's the gameplay that has remain exactly the same.

jj984jj

cvxfreak said:
I was talking about the ones on the boxarts. :p

Lucario actually looks pretty cool.
Yeah, I like him, the movie with him actually wasn't all that bad either.

jj984jj

cvxfreak said:
I was jetlagged and fell asleep in the theatre last year watching it for like ten minutes. :lol
Well I mean in comparison with the other movies. :p

Emotions

I like Sneasel's evolution.
I ordered Emerald i skipped it since i had Ruby,Saphire,LeafGreen and FireRed, but i need to have the full collection so i picked it up. :D
I love these type of RPG games. This will be mine at launch (US launch).
Interest so we'll have Space and Time type of Pokemons now?

Jiggy

Thoughts on... everything.

Pros:

+1: The girl's pose is cool.

+1: Two rivals sounds good. I just hope they both recur more often than Brendan/May and Wally.

+1: I have no idea what one would need a touch screen calculator for, but I'm happy to see it. Maybe to select the number of items being withdrawn or deposited into a PC, or something like that.

+2: The Diamond legendary looks like a futuristic combination of the three legendary beasts, and the Pearl legendary looks like a futuristic Groudon. In spite of that, I like them both. I do wish, however, that they'd finally taken the opportunity to introduce a Light type (the only one I want added), because if any two Pokemon ever looked like candidates for Dark and Light counterparts, it's these two.

+2: The menus, in general look better, cleaner, and less cluttered. This is largely just due to having more space to work with.

+7: This is probably the first time I've liked the majority of the new Pokemon designs that have been revealed. I didn't like the new G/S/C ones that we saw before the release of the games, and liked the R/S/E ones even less, but I like the music note bird, I like Lucario, I like Weavile and the water weasel.

+8: With the others, I may not like their designs, but their abilities or attacks are great. People have been begging for a Poison/Dark type a long time because of the defensive synergy going on there (Poison is weak to Psychic but Dark is immune, Dark is weak to Bug and Fighting but Poison is resistant, leaving only Ground as a weakness), and we finally have a Pick Up Pokemon who's not a Normal type or Phanpy. Special mention to that "Cross Poison" move also, since Poison in general has needed better attacks.

+30: Cherimu (the Sakura flower Pokemon) gets its own section of my comments because from the info on Serebii.net, it looks like we've got a move that's almost definitely going to catapult itself into a top-tier slot: Trouble Seed, changing the enemy's ability temporarily to Insomnia. Besides the obvious use of blocking currently-overused stuff like Suicune and Snorlax from being able to Rest (a move that's needed more counter-balancing since day one of R/B/Y), you could get rid of, say, Volt Absorb on Lanturn (goes from absorbing Electric to taking normal damage from it) or you could get rid of Levitate on Weezing and make it go from immunity to a 2x weakness, or so on. This is fantastic. Cherimu looks like a weak Pokemon, though (maybe a Jumpluff sort), but I'm assuming that other Pokemon will have this same move.

+30: Wi-Fi will make a lot of people happy.

Cons:

-3: I'm a little disappointed with the touch screen controls on the bottom. I mean, I'm glad they moved it to the bottom, but there are two things I think they could've done much better: 1) made it prettier, because, man, is that orange-ish interface for the bag ever hideous (that's just the bag menu, I don't know about the others), and 2) why didn't they move the "[Pokemon] used [attack]!" announcement down to the bottom screen as well? We could have had more room for sprites and attack animations in the top. (I turn off animations after a while, but still, they're interesting for at least a bit.)

-2: Team Galaxy. Let me start by saying that I have no problem with always fighting an evil team. That's the classic formula; changing that would be like not fighting evil robots in Mega Man, or not fighting Dracula in Castlevania, or not fighting Bowser in Mario, or so on. I want to fight an evil team of Pokemon gangsters. It's just that the theme of this particular team seems unappealing to me. Partially because it just seems like a renamed Team Rocket, partially because it's only recently that we learned about Super Mario Galaxy, partially because now I don't get to see the evil females' legs.

Potentially -1: I like Cherimu's new move, as I said above, but the ability, depending on how it works, seems to be further tilting the metagame in favor of Sunny Day and Groudon as opposed to the already-shafted Rain Dance and Kyogre. To power up not only itself, but also all of its teammates when Sunny Day is in effect? Yeesh, I know Grass-types needed to be improved, but not necessarily to this degree. ...Again, though, it depends on exactly what "powering up" the whole team entails. If it's something small, it might not be broken.

jj984jj

cvxfreak said:
I thought it was neat... my favorite is always the Jirachi movie. :)
That's my favourite too, especially after the 5th movie. Seeing the Deoxy one after that was disappointing. :(

But then the one with Lucario was good.... but it does not give me much hope for Pokemon Ranger.

ivysaur12

Banned
I like Cherimu a lot, partically cause I love Grass types, and mostly cause it seems pretty kick-ass so far. And it's evolutions should be even cooler. I wonder if it'll end up looking like an actual Sakura tree? Grass types need more good Pokémon since the starters are the only ones that end up being useful.

Emotions

jj984jj said:
That's my favourite too, especially after the 5th movie. Seeing the Deoxy one after that was disappointing. :(

But then the one with Lucario was good.... but it does not give me much hope for Pokemon Ranger.

As far as i recall Pokemon Ranger and the Mystery Dungeons are quite good spin-offs.
Isn't Ranger developed by Hal ?

Judging by those Scans i really hope Celebi is catchable this time in the US version, it's the only Pokemon you can't catch in a "legal" way.

ivysaur12

Banned
Emotions said:
As far as i recall Pokemon Ranger and the Mystery Dungeons are quite good spin-offs.
Isn't Ranger developed by Hal ?

Judging by those Scans i really hope Celebi is catchable this time in the US version, it's the only Pokemon you can't catch in a "legal" way.

He means the movie, I think.

kIdMuScLe

how import friendly is this? i want to import this game cuz i don't want to wait a year for it to arrive in the US! is it kanji heavy or not? thanks for the help!

ant1532

Banned
kIdMuScLe said:
how import friendly is this? i want to import this game cuz i don't want to wait a year for it to arrive in the US! is it kanji heavy or not? thanks for the help!
You've never played an RPG before?

Bo130

With the ability to trade online, I'll be sure to have all Pokémons in 10 mins from game start, muhahaha :D :lol

Sad, really :p. It getting a lot easier to get the Pokémons from both version, though.

Dr.Hadji

Stinkin Gamefreak, doing another by the numbers Pokemon game. Maybe its time for someone else to handle a main pokemon games.

Zilch

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
Stinkin Gamefreak, doing another by the numbers Pokemon game. Maybe its time for someone else to handle a main pokemon games.

Yeah, cuz HAL/Genius Sonority/etc. make such GREAT Pokemon games... *rolleyes*

KINGMOKU

Is anyone going to even hazzard a guess as to how many copies the games will open with?

How about how many units of the DS willmove in this same time frame?

I want someone else to guess first, to see what everyones thinking.

Emotions

Zilch said:
Yeah, cuz HAL/Genius Sonority/etc. make such GREAT Pokemon games... *rolleyes*

Pokemon Ranger , Pokemon Snap,Pokemon Puzzle League, Pokemon Trozei,Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2,Pokemon Mystery Dungeon,Pokemon Pinball,Pokemon Colloseum and Gale of Darkness are far from bad games, they're good for what they are Spin-offs.
I agree the main series should stay with Gamefreak, but they also have talent to do other stuff see Drill Dozer , i hope they start doing new stuff as well or they make a sequel to Drill Dozer aside from the Pokemon main series.
The only real shitty Pokemon games are the ones made by Ambrella, i still don't know why that company is alive , even though i slightly liked Hey you pikachu (mostly because of novelty) i utterfly dislike Pokemon Dash and Pokemon Channel god those games are awful.

Insertia

looks exactly like Pokemon for GBA...

You would think the developers would try to use the graphic capabilities of DS. But since the game is going to sell 7 million anyway, why bother.

Emotions

Insertia said:
looks exactly like Pokemon for GBA...

You would think the developers would try to use the graphic capabilities of DS. But since the game is going to sell 7 million anyway, why bother.

It is an improvement over the GBA ones, one can easily see it.
But you're always wrong as your predictions of PSP destroying the DS. :p Didn't you eat your hat already?

Captain N said:
Any word on what the main difference will be between the two versions?

I'm going to go out on a limb and figure they feature different legendaries and species of pokemon exclusive to their respective versions.

:/

Top Bottom