• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Go Beta Gameplay

You REALLY need to battle wild Pokemon. And they need to add their Pokemon cries/voices.

Don't bring it to market without this.
I can agree with the cries missing being a bummer, but I can really see the reasoning people have pointed out about why wild battles aren't a thing here. If pokemon are something you collect in between pokestops and gym then you really wouldn't want to be doing a minute or two long fight for every pokemon. In Ingress, all gameplay between portals is extremely quick. The portals are where the action is.

blamite

It looks okay... I'm disappointed you don't get to fight wild Pokemon using your own Pokemon though, it looks like you just find the and thrown your RNG-microtransaction Pokeballs at them until you either catch them or give up? Oh well, the concept is still cool enough that I'll probably play it a bunch.

dh4niel

I don't think I'll bother. Looks like it has all the depth of Miitomo. I'm sure it'll last a bit longer though.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Looks much better than before, but...
It was not an auto mode. To attack you just press the opposing Pokémon. To do a charged attack you keep pressing. Those are the '2 attacks' every Pokémon has.
This just bums me out. I was hoping that they would have kept battles somewhat engaging, but this sounds (and looked) so shallow. Should've been more depth to the system.

xzeldax3

I really don't know why people didn't think this from the start.
Exactly. So many people are just imagining Pokemon 3DS on your iPhone and won't listen/read to anything else people say. Then when footage comes out, they go and complain about how the game wasn't up to their expectations at all.

Nicko

Other than the models, i'm really not getting a pokemon vibe from this game... Anyone know how much TPC/Nintendo is really involved with development?

I don't believe this. That would ruin what makes Pokemon, Pokemon.
For what it's worth, there are multiple potential moves that each Pokemon can have. There seems to be over 130 Charge type moves and over 40 Quick type moves so far. Moves have varying types (for super/not very effectives), power, and seemingly accuracy and critical chances. Each pokemon can learn different moves at higher levels or on evolution.

That sounds pretty Pokemon to me.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
People expecting or wanting this game to be as complex as the main series are missing the point, the average casual fan who they're aiming for doesn't want that from a cellphone game---they want an easily accessible game that touches upon their nostalgia.

Whether or not that makes a good game is up for debate, but this game is by design meant to offer a simpler style compared to the strategy the main series offers up.

Compsiox

Banned
For what it's worth, there are multiple potential moves that each Pokemon can have. There seems to be over 130 Charge type moves and over 40 Quick type moves so far. Moves have varying types (for super/not very effectives), power, and seemingly accuracy and critical chances. Each pokemon can learn different moves at higher levels or on evolution.

That sounds pretty Pokemon to me.

He made it sound like every pokemon had like 2 generic abilities shared among them. My apologieees.

He made it sound like every pokemon had like 2 generic abilities shared among them. My apologieees.
No worries. Niantic has been pretty closed lipped about development, so everything we know came from the beta tests in Japan and Australia, and the Australian tests only began very recently.

I haven't followed all the latest details but it does seem like Niantic is trying to keep a degree of uniqueness to the pokemon which should help with adding strategy to the gym combat.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looks like it barely works at any point. Off the charts jank.

Also, first kid to get hit by a car in a road while catching a Pidgey wins the press' undivided attention.

Platy

ONE DAY these people will show the game footage next to something showing the people using the phone to do something .... I don't know what is gps based what is moving what is anything except the pokemon capture thing

Menitta

No matter how good this looks, I'll still have this feeling of "eh" towards it. I just don't have any interest in catching every single Pokemon, especially in an AR game.

I don't get the appeal of this concept.

royox

THis game is literally father's worst nightmare with their kids playing with the smartphone all the way back home from school...

wwm0nkey

THis game is literally father's worst nightmare with their kids playing with the smartphone all the way back home from school...
Pokemon won't spawn in the street and the go plus let's you play without looking at your phone. They thought about this lol

Mr-Joker

Banned
Graphically the game looks good, when it's in battle with the camera turned off, plus I like the detail of the center of the Pokéball flashing red when trying to catch Pokémon.

Game Play wise however the game just looks shit, something that I expected it.

I will just stick to the real Pokémon game.

People expecting or wanting this game to be as complex as the main series are missing the point, the average casual fan who they're aiming for doesn't want that from a cellphone game---they want an easily accessible game that touches upon their nostalgia.

Whether or not that makes a good game is up for debate, but this game is by design meant to offer a simpler style compared to the strategy the main series offers up.

This pretty much, it's also why they are only starting with Gen 1 Pokémon as they are trying to pander to the gen 1 crowd.

WPS

Doesn't look great visually, but I'm up for exploring the real world to find pokémon. I only wish I had this when I was younger and dragged around for long walks by my parents. The redone textures on the pokémon look nice too, hopefully that'll copy over to Sun and Moon.

---

"Pikachu hatched from the egg!"

*twitches*

Mr-Joker

Banned
"Pikachu hatched from the egg!"

*twitches*

Brings back painful memories of the Gen 1 remake when Game Freak blocked any Pokémon that didn't exist in gen 1, which prevented friendship evolution from happening because you didn't have the national Dex.

There's gen 1 pandering and there's straight up changing things to pander to gen 1 crowd, the latter option shouldn't exist at all.

Teknoman

Hopefully they move around a little more in catching mode. Is there any info on who is composing? Because the right music with this will go a looooong way.

NimbusD

Looks sterile and the combat is an auto battler? Auto battlers get boring after a few days.

Ergh.

This game really isn't about battling at all. Even if it ahd a battle system it'd be shallow.

Looks great, exactly what I expected from playing ingress for a while.

Top Bottom